Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread III *Read 1st Post*

azrael

Maximum atmospheric speed: M 5.2+ ([at] 10,000 m, on account of the fuselage heat-resistance boundary. Possible to do M9+ for brief periods by protecting the fuselage with the pin-point barrier and energy conversion armour. It is possible to reach satellite orbit with the normal specification(s))

I wonder if the funky teleporting effect has anything to do with this. However, the effect was also used in space where presumably it wouldn't be needed =(

Interesting, note on the engines:

VF-25 : 2 x Shinsei Industry/ P&W/ RR FF-3001A Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine engine (in space, maximum thrust of 1,620 KN)

VF-27: 4 x Shinchuushuu/P&W/RR/MG FF-3011/ C Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine engine (in space, maximum thrust of 1,377 KN)

Correct me if I'm wrong, VF-25 is superior in term of engine?

2 x 1620 = 3240

4 x 1377 = 5508

As a point of comparison, the VF-22 has 2 x 639 kN engines if I'm reading it correctly. The Macross compendium says 2 x 65200kg which actually doesn't mean much at all but it also says (x g) so I've assumed Earth gravity is the measure.

The cruising speed for the VF-22 at 10k feet is also about Mach 5 so I presume they still haven't figured out the airframe overheating problem.

Edited by ChronoReverse

Interesting, note on the engines:

VF-25 : 2 x Shinsei Industry/ P&W/ RR FF-3001A Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine engine (in space, maximum thrust of 1,620 KN)

VF-27: 4 x Shinchuushuu/P&W/RR/MG FF-3011/ C Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine engine (in space, maximum thrust of 1,377 KN)

Correct me if I'm wrong, VF-25 is superior in term of engine?

Individually yes but the 27 has 4 of them.

Great Mechanics.DX 10 came out. Picked it up, and was blown away by their VF-25 vs VF-27 article. Why? Hard and fast stats on the VF-25 and the VF-27!!!

Translation of the stats: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/inde...ic=1934.new#new

There is a bunch more to the article, and there is at least a paragraph or two devoted to the ISC. Sadly, I don't have any more time to translate the article (too busy with RL, and my translating plate is full of Macross Chronicle).

What's surprised me is that the VF-25 doesn't have any internal (micro) missile launchers. Where the heck did those missiles come from in episode one?!?!

WOW. Thanks sketchley. :)

Stats as per the article:

VF-25
Development: Shinsei Industry/ Macross Frontier Arsenal Original Development/ LAI Company technology [technological] support based it on the YF-24 Evolution [evolution from the YF-24].

Overall Length: 18.72 m (fighter configuration)
Empty Weight: 8,450 Kg
Engine: Shinsei Industry/ P&W/ RR made FF-3001A Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine engine (in space [the void of space], maximum thrust of 1,620 KN) x2
High manueverability thruster: P&W HMM-9
Maximum atmospheric speed: M 5.0+ ([at] 10,000 m, on account of the fuselage heat-resistance boundary.  It is possible to reach satellite orbit with the normal specification(s))

Base weapons: 12.7 mm coaxial beam gun (Mauler ROV-217C) x1 (set in the monitor head), choice of either 25 mm high-speed machine gun [cannon] (Remmington ES-25A) or 25 mm beam machine gun [cannon] (Mauler ROV-25) x2, 58 mm Gattling gun pod (Howard GU-17A).  The 25 mm machine gun [cannon] and gun pod are later refit with the anti-Vajra MDE warhead specification.

ISC (Inertia Store Converter): Shinsei Industry Macross Frontier Asenal / LAI Company self-development specification ISC/TO21

Special: possible to equip with Super Pack or Armoured Pack
Can cope with a fold booster.

VF-27
Development: Original Development by the Macross Galaxy Variable Fighter Development Arsenal based on the YF-24 Evolution [evolution from the YF-24].

Overall Length: 18.8 m (fighter configuration)
Empty Weight: 12,080 Kg
Engine: Shinchuushuu/ P&W/ RR/ MG made FF-3011/ C Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine engine (in space [the void of space], maximum thrust of 1,377 KN) x4
High manueverability thruster: P&W HMM-9
Maximum atmospheric speed: M 5.2+ ([at] 10,000 m, on account of the fuselage heat-resistance boundary.  Possible to do M9+ for brief periods by protecting the fuselage with the pin-point barrier and energy conversion armour.  It is possible to reach satellite orbit with the normal specification(s))

Base weapons: 20 mm beam gun (ROV-20) x1, choice of either  (Rammington ES-25A) or 25 mm beam machine gun [cannon] (Mauler ROV-25) x2.  35 mm heavy beam machine gun [cannon] (Sentinel HBC/HS-35B) x2, BGP-01 (Greek Symbol for Beta) Beam Gun pod / Beam grenade x1, Internal-type micro-missile launcher (Bifors BML-04B) x4.  The 25 mm high-speed machine gun [cannon] and micro-missile warheads are later refit with the anti-Vajra MDE warhead specification.  The beam gunpod is refit to MDE particle beam specifications.

ISC: MG development IVC/GC 01 (Greek symbol for gamma)

Can cope with a super fold booster.

WTF!?? :blink:58 mm Gattling gun pod (Howard GU-17A) for the VF-25? :ph34r: AWESOME. :D

IIRC, didn't the VF-1 have a 55mm gunpod?

Edited by grss1982

The VF-27 has more thrust than the 2nd stage on a Saturn V, 5.5MN vs 5MN for the saturn. Still gets massively beaten by first stage though, 34MN is a long way off.

With that sort of thrust an empty VF-27 can accelerate at 45g, enough to turn any human into pudding, the VF-25 can only accelerate at a slightly bearable 38g which is still way above the human limit.

At max combat load of I guess 40 tons, the VF-27 still accelerates at 14g and the VF-25 at 8g, but thats where the super pack comes in. The VF-1 fast pack has 1200KN of thrust per engine, the VF-25 super pack has 4 with I guess a minimum of 1200KN per engine so that adds another 4800KN for a combined thrust of minimum 8040KN, assuming that the VF-25 super pack engines have twice the thrust of the old VF-1 fast pack it now has an estimated 12840KN of thrust available. At max combat load the VF-25 can now accelerate between a minimum of 20g and an unbeleivable 32g. For comparison, a VF-19S at 40 tons can only accelerate at a comfortable 4g, a VF-1 Super at 72 tons can also only accelerate at 4g.

If we were to assume the VF-25 superpack engines have increased in thrust proportionally to the VF-25 engines, then the superpack produces an additional 33,8MN of thrust, about as much as a Saturn V first stage catapulting it to a ridiculous 92g of acceleration.

So with that absolute overabundance of thrust available, why do they still improve the engines? It's already far more than a human could ever hope to handle, and unless the economy benefit of having the engines run on idle most of the time is worth it, then I see no point. I guess that is why Alto was so surprised about the moves Brera is pulling. While he may have a comparable plane he could never ever hope to come even near it's limits and survive, while Brera just soldiers on.

The YF-21 already could kill the pilot on raw engine power, now imagine how guld would have looked with 12 to 30!! times the thrust available.

Edited by DarkReaper

Wow...

Just...wow...

The VF-25 and VF-27 take "Next Generation Variable Fighter" to a whole new level. I just did Thrust-To-Weight ratios for these suckers. It's insane!

VF-25F Messiah (empty)

Thrust to Weight Ratio = 39.09

VF-27 (empty)

Thrust to Weight Ratio = 46.48

Now, here are the Thrust-To-Weight ratios for the rest of the Macross Valkyries:

VF-0A (empty) = 1.87

SV-51 (empty) = 2.34

VF-1A Valkyrie (empty) = 3.47

VF-1A Valkyrie (Standard T-O Mass) = 2.49

VF-1A Valkyrie (Max T-O Mass) = 1.24

VF-1S Super Valkyrie (Standard T-O Mass) = 6.36

VF-1S Super Valkyrie (Max T-O Mass) = 3.97

VT-1C Commercial Valkyrie (empty) = 2.91

VF-1X Plus Valkyrie (empty) = 4.33

VF-1X Plus Valkyrie (Standard T-O Mass) = 3.14

VF-4 Lightning III (empty) = 2.01

VF-4G Lightning III (empty) = 2.37

VA-3 Invader (empty) = 3.43

VF-5000B Star Mirage (empty) = 3.01

VF-11B Thunderbolt (empty) = 6.33

YF-19 (empty) = 15.43 (atmosphere limitation = 9.26)

YF-21 (empty) = 13.65 (atmosphere limitation = 8.19)

VF-11C Thunderbolt (empty) = 6.33

VF-17D Nightmare (empty) = 9.28

VF-17S Nightmare (empty) = 10.04

VF-19A Excalibur (empty) = 12.91

VF-19F Excalibur (empty) = 16.96

VF-19S Excalibur (empty) = 18.32

VF-22 Sturmvogel II (empty) = 13.61 (atmosphere limitation = 8.17)

VF-22S Sturmvogel II (empty) = 13.96 (atmosphere limitation = 8.38 )

VF-11MAXL Thunderbolt Custom (empty) = 10.51

VF-17T Nightmare Custom (empty) = 9.75

VF-19 Excalibur Custom (empty) = 13.45

Fz-109A Elgerzorene (empty) = 8.4

Fz-109F Elgerzorene (empty) = 8.33

Az-130A Panzerzorene (empty) = 7.10

FBz-99G Saubergeran (empty) = 9.29

There's a 20.77 point jump between the VF-19S Excalibur (T-W 18.32) and the VF-25 Messiah (T-W 39.09). That's what I call a major performance leap forward. What happened between 2047 and 2059; an "Einstein" of engine design come along? :)

Edited by Mr March

There's a 20.77 point jump between the VF-19S Excalibur (T-W 18.32) and the VF-25 Messiah (T-W 39.09). That's what I call a major performance leap forward. What happened between 2047 and 2059; an "Einstein" of engine design come along? :)

Or its just Kawamori doing some crazy maths.

The stress on the pilot set by the YF-19 and 21 (without limits) was already fatal, I don't see how these supposed new thrust numbers will not turn you into "Guld-mush" the minute you pull the throttle. Unless those "Inertia Converter Store" things are actually inertia cancellers (*groan*) :rolleyes:

VF-25

Base weapons: 12.7 mm coaxial beam gun (Mauler ROV-217C) x1 (set in the monitor head),

These are obviosly the head lasers.

choice of either 25 mm high-speed machine gun [cannon] (Remmington ES-25A) or 25 mm beam machine gun [cannon] (Mauler ROV-25) x2,

I'm guessing these are the wing root/hip guns. Interesting that there is a choice of weapons here.

58 mm Gattling gun pod (Howard GU-17A).

Interesting choice of caliber. No mention of the rate of fire, ammo capacity or whether it can use detachable ammo magazines?

The 25 mm machine gun [cannon] and gun pod are later refit with the anti-Vajra MDE warhead specification.

Good, confirmation that the guns use MDE ammo, not just the missiles.

ISC (Inertia Store Converter): Shinsei Industry Macross Frontier Asenal / LAI Company self-development specification ISC/TO21

I'm guessing this is something to help the pilots withstand the high gs. Heh, I've posted several times previous in the last few years hat I think next-gen VFs would have some sort of inertial damper system to help pilots withstand high g-forces.

Hmmm....no mention of the VF-25's ability to mount wing mounted ordnance? Although we never see them mounting missiles on the wings in the series, we did see it in the first promo clip and 3 attachment points per wing are clearly shown.

Graham

I should note that buried in the text of the article it mentions that the VF-25 is piloted by an EX-Gear wearing pilot, and the VF-27 is piloted by a cyborg. Though, this is just from glancing at it, and there's probably a bunch of disclaimers or modifiers.

No mention of the knife. Maybe it's only in the super and armour packs?

One other thing to consider is that the magazine article's stats are not the be all, end all. They are just the first. I noticed something that I am tempted to call a typo in the VF-27 stats, but I think it may just be best to call them inconsistences with the VF-25 stats. Almost as if a different author wrote them... (in short, it looked like "(...) beam machinegun x2.35 mm beam machinegun (...)", when the VF-25 stats would state "(...) beam machinegun x2, 35 mm beam machinegun (...)".

Lastly, grss1982, as the stats are subject to being edited again (further proofreading), it'd be best if you wouldn't quote them here.

Or its just Kawamori doing some crazy maths.

The stress on the pilot set by the YF-19 and 21 (without limits) was already fatal, I don't see how these supposed new thrust numbers will not turn you into "Guld-mush" the minute you pull the throttle. Unless those "Inertia Converter Store" things are actually inertia cancellers (*groan*) :rolleyes:

Perhaps, but let us remember the VF-25 utilized Ex Gears to help the pilot, I bet they help deal with G's better than the old flight suits. As for the VF-27, they said that only cyborgs can pilot it because it is too much for a human body to handle.

Sounds like Mr March has a lot to add to M3 now, this is amazing info!

VF-27

Base weapons: 20 mm beam gun (ROV-20) x1

Head laser I guess, although to be honest, I never really noticed the head laser on the VF-27 before.

choice of either (Rammington ES-25A) or 25 mm beam machine gun [cannon] (Mauler ROV-25) x2. 35 mm heavy beam machine gun [cannon] (Sentinel HBC/HS-35B) x2,

These are either the wing root/hip guns or the guns in the outboard engine nacelles. Not sure which.

BGP-01 (Greek Symbol for Beta) Beam Gun pod / Beam grenade x1,

The reference to 'beam grenade' puzzles me.

Internal-type micro-missile launcher (Bifors BML-04B) x4.

These are the ports that are clearly visible on the outboard engine nacelles. These have also clearly vbeen shown firing missiles in at least one episode.

Hmm.....no mention of the inbuilt shield spike/knife.

As Sketchly mentioned, the stats seem far from complete. Hopefully, more info will be forthcoming soon.

Graham

These are either the wing root/hip guns or the guns in the outboard engine nacelles. Not sure which.

We can do a process of elimination :)

The Mauler RÖV-217C coaxial 12.7mm beam guns are designated as head mounted cannons on the VF-25. This means that the 2 x Remmington ES-25A 25mm high-speed machine guns or 2 x Mauler RÖV-25 25mm beam machine guns can only be the intake/hip mounted cannons. Since the VF-27 and the VF-25 share so much in common (AND the two have those same gun pairs listed), it's very likely they are intake/hip mounted positions on the VF-27 as well. That would leave the forward outboard nacelles as the only other mounting for guns, which is likely where the 2 x Sentinel HBC/HS-35B 35mm heavy beam machine guns are placed :)

Perhaps, but let us remember the VF-25 utilized Ex Gears to help the pilot, I bet they help deal with G's better than the old flight suits. As for the VF-27, they said that only cyborgs can pilot it because it is too much for a human body to handle.

Sounds like Mr March has a lot to add to M3 now, this is amazing info!

The suit doesn't factor at all to protection from Gs. You can wear some heavy lead suit but you'll still turn to mush even if the suit survives. That said, the EX-Gears are just a control interface and a handy ejection seat.

Head laser I guess, although to be honest, I never really noticed the head laser on the VF-27 before.

Me, too.

I'm guessing the 25 mm guns are the fuselage (wing root/hip) guns, and the 35 mm are the outboard engine nacelle guns.

The reference to 'beam grenade' puzzles me.

Me, too. Perhaps it's in reference to the weapon having an explosive nature when it hits something? Some kind of explosive energy charge that goes off when an outer layer of protective energy disappates or hits something?

We can do a process of elimination :)

The Mauler RÖV-217C (...)

Just so everyone knows, it's not laziness on my part that the stats aren't written with the O in ROV with the accent (Ö). It's the way the article was written. I just wished there was a handy way to input the Greek letters that is visible to everyone. 僕は日本語のWinを使ってるから皆と別のIMがある。。。

snip.....

Hmmm....no mention of the VF-25's ability to mount wing mounted ordnance? Although we never see them mounting missiles on the wings in the series, we did see it in the first promo clip and 3 attachment points per wing are clearly shown.

Graham

VF-25 with Super Pack (Alto's, Luca's & Mikhail's) were seen mounting nukes on the wings. Somewhere in Episode 15 to 19, IIRC. :)

Some screencaps from Episode 17:

2q21zk1.jpg

149p69y.jpg

Edited by grss1982

Man I'm lovin' these numbers for the 25 and 27. And the twin 25 mike-mikes, the girls are gunfighters! Now just get me the ammo loads and I'm good, oh wait now where are the magazines for the 25mm rounds?

-EDIT- The red shirts (Navy ref, NOT Star Trek) must hate having to rearm a 25 with full FAST packs, much less a whole air wing of them.

Edited by hobbes221

Man I'm lovin' these numbers for the 25 and 27. And the twin 25 mike-mikes, the girls are gunfighters! Now just get me the ammo loads and I'm good, oh wait now where are the magazines for the 25mm rounds?

-EDIT- The red shirts (Navy ref, NOT Star Trek) must hate having to rearm a 25 with full FAST packs, much less a whole air wing of them.

"Red Shirts" are ordnance people, right? :unsure:

Anyways, if I was a one of the ordnance people I'd hate more being ordered to arm a squadron of VF-25's with the Armored Pack complete with 4 nukes. :wacko: I mean that would really be an arduous task, especially the mounting of the two top most nukes in the Armored Pack configuration. :ph34r:

"Red Shirts" are ordnance people, right?

Correct! We have a winner, your 'No-Prize' is in the mail. And I kinda meant just having to rearm any of the packs, but yeah Armored with nukes must be an all-nighter.

Edited by hobbes221

I have a feeling some of these stats will be found in the model kit due out this month.

I would like the see scans of the article to view some things. I suspect Kawamori never quite finished the specs on the VFs. The Memories artbook and Fact files due out in the next month might have more, maybe more clearly stated as well. Chronicle might dive into this with a later issue. I have a feeling these are just the stats, "so far".

Almost as if a different author wrote them... (in short, it looked like "(...) beam machinegun x2.35 mm beam machinegun (...)", when the VF-25 stats would state "(...) beam machinegun x2, 35 mm beam machinegun (...)".

Now that I think about it, this is may cause a bit of a concern. If the article's author wrote it that way, maybe this will need some later correction from a later publication.

Well, the gun on the big Mac is its own separate ship, so basically it's a gun pod, and apparently the only way to operate any gun pod in macross is through the use of fingers.

Actually the Gunship could fire on its own. It is essentially a ship attached to the carrier. If I recall correctly it (at least the Mac 7 gunship) was not as powerful as the Macross gun (which is reasonable considering the original Macross cannon was a restoration of a PC gun. I'd expect all the subsequent SDF battleships' cannons were not as powerful as the original's either and over time came closer).

as for the transformation, I've always liked to believe that they retained the transformation because NUNS tactical doctrine dictates that if using the main cannon isn't an option and other weapons systems are ineffective, then the macross is to transform to storm attacker mode, move in and beat the crap out of the enemies' capital ships

(Admittedly there's absolutely no reason to believe this, but it would be pretty awesome to see the Big Mac Falcon Punch a Vajra Carrier. :lol: )

The main purpose of the transformation, for me, is that it allows the Battle Carrier to fire the cannon in a 3 dimensional arc since the weapon is primarily an anti-fleet weapon and space battles take place on a 3D plane (Aside from the original notion that it was "cool" to see).

Now when you take the armaments on the Macross 13 or Battle Frontier and couple that with a detachable Macross cannon, you have quite a lot of tactical options to work with in a fight. However due to it's size the NMC's are still a very big target for enemy fire.

Thus a need for a smaller "macross" type ship like the Quarter would eventually be required for single ship to ship combat. In previous eras they only had carriers and battleships with limited firepower in the 400m size without any one shot kill cannons. The Quarter also offers greater maneuverability over the Battle Carrier, something not available before.

I have a feeling some of these stats will be found in the model kit due out this month.

Scans of the kit's instructions are out (check the 1/72 VF-25 thread in the model forum), but it looks like no stats unfortunately.

I was also hoping for some stats and nice lineart like you get with some of the Gundam MG kits, but no luck.

Graham

Great Mechanics.DX 10 came out. Picked it up, and was blown away by their VF-25 vs VF-27 article. Why? Hard and fast stats on the VF-25 and the VF-27!!!

I just picked it up as well Sketchley and it's DX 6, not DX 10. Ya nearly made me miss it going around asking for the wrong issue....LOL! B))

For the VF-171EX fans, here's a scan of the VF-171EX with and without FAST Packs and extra weapons from Great Mechanics DX 6

Graham

post-11-1221719168_thumb.jpg

The suit doesn't factor at all to protection from Gs. You can wear some heavy lead suit but you'll still turn to mush even if the suit survives. That said, the EX-Gears are just a control interface and a handy ejection seat.

And what about the comment in series about the VF-27 that "not even a human in Ex-Gear could survive piloting it..." or such... It seemed to me that clearly indicated some G-protection function for the Ex-Gear... <_<

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

And what about the comment in series about the VF-27 that "not even a human in Ex-Gear could survive piloting it..." or such... It seemed to me that clearly indicated some G-protection function for the Ex-Gear... <_<

I believe the lines was something like "Our analysts believe there's no way its a pilotless craft, however, even with Ex-Gear a normal human wouldn't be able to handle piloting it" so you are indeed right. The Ex-Gear does aid pilots that way, real world physics be damned. ;)

Redundant statement that ex-gear does nothing in protecting from G's at all? I think the statement was to compare between an ex-geared human vs a cyborg in terms of resistance to G's, NOT the ex-gear's resistance to Gs since an Ex-Geared human is supposed to make them equivalent in terms of strength and speed to a cyborg.

I mean look at it logically, an Ex-Gear isn't even an exo-armour. Its just an exo suit. And EVEN if its an exo-armour, like i said in my analogy, you could wear armour made of lead, gundamrium, SWAG and what have you, but you'll still be mush inside it. <_<

I guess the interial control system is somehow integrated with the Ex-Gear.

Graham

We don't even know what the ICS is at this point. If it is indeed an "Inertia Control System" it sounds more like a limiter rather than a dampener/canceller. And the point of the argument was the stats (if true) because the VF-25/27 clearly outperforms its predecessor the VF-19/22...and even those had some crazy G's on the pilots. For those stats to be true, then the ICS has to be a sort of Inertia Canceller.....which to date has no real sci-fi explanation. (that i'm aware of anyway)

Edited by wolfx

Redundant statement that ex-gear does nothing in protecting from G's at all? I think the statement was to compare between an ex-geared human vs a cyborg in terms of resistance to G's, NOT the ex-gear's resistance to Gs since an Ex-Geared human is supposed to make them equivalent in terms of strength and speed to a cyborg.

I mean look at it logically, an Ex-Gear isn't even an exo-armour. Its just an exo suit. And EVEN if its an exo-armour, like i said in my analogy, you could wear armour made of lead, gundamrium, SWAG and what have you, but you'll still be mush inside it. <_<

But the way it was used for comparison seems to imply that the EX-Gear does deem to provide a level of protection against G-forces. At the very least, it could simply be a better G-suit.

Edited by d3v

The YF-24 was made by Shinsei Industries.

Shinsei Industry the makers of the VF-0, VF-1, VF-3000, VF-5000, VF-11, and VF-19.

As I predicted in my fic. :heh:

Yang had the lights turned off as holograms of three fighters are displayed.

“Gentlemen and lady may I present the next generation fighters. The YF-24 and her siblings the VF-25 and VF-27.” said Yang

“The VF-25 for Capt. Focker is equipped with Full Armor Pack that has 214 micro missile load.”

Focker whistled that is more than twice the load of missiles on an Armored Valkyrie.

“The VF-27 for Ms. Moaramia is a highspeed stealth Valkyrie with a powerful quantum beam gun pod.”

Moaramia smiled as it is colored purple.

“ and my personal pride the YF-24 has the most advanced barrier systems built on a Valkyrie . All of them based on my original patented quick transformation system. ” said Yang

The three Valkyries despite the different configurations and designations do resemble in torso parts.

“Original? It looks like you copied from the old SV-51” said Isamu

“Quiet you.” Yang responded

Likely the YF-24 is designed by Yang Neuman.

The VF-171 is likely designed by Algus Selzer.

Edited by RedWolf