Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread III *Read 1st Post*

azrael

I'm with you there Shaka-Z, water would be a great propellant, fairly heavy for lots of thrust, easy to transport and store, easy to clean up if spilled, not to corrosive or volatile, good for the environment, and really easy to get a supply of, and cheap to boot. If you really can use almost anything for propellant things can't get much better than this.

water is corrosive, modern oil based fuels don't by nature try to break down everything they touch like water does.

water is indeed corrosive to many materials, but not all, and it wouldnt be water for very long once once it enters the engine. the energy input would almost instantly break the chemical bonds that make it water, converting it to a monatomic hydrogen/oxygen plasma, which is then easily manipulated.

I think water only does that when demineralised or has a catalyst like salt in it.

water is at its' most corrosive under most conditions when it has dissolved ionic compounds in it, such as salt. it is the electrical conductivity that the ions impart to the water that make it corrosive. pure distilled water is actually an electrical insulator IIRC

Cutting the science talk for now.

unknown.jpg

Confirmation please.

One of the posters at Spacebattles.com said that this class is the Haruna class.

(*) Its the 1st capship blown to pieces in Frontier's first episode. Class name -finally- revealed in a article at Newtype JPN's website.

The Haruna class? As in the first ship Max captained?

This thing is older than we thought.

Confirmation please.

One of the posters at Spacebattles.com said that this class is the Haruna class.

The Haruna class? As in the first ship Max captained?

This thing is older than we thought.

You should know by now to ask for a link to the Newtype article. Especially if it's a online article.

I didn't notice anyone mention it before, but is the VF-171 that they fly in episode 22 a new model? I ask because the whole cockpit and nose area looks to be brand new, and much more similar to that on the VF-25.

You should know by now to ask for a link to the Newtype article. Especially if it's a online article.

Fine I'll pm the guy for the link.

I just can't just read kanji k?

That is why I'm asking for confirmation.

I didn't notice anyone mention it before, but is the VF-171 that they fly in episode 22 a new model? I ask because the whole cockpit and nose area looks to be brand new, and much more similar to that on the VF-25.

It is called the VF-171EX.

LAI has been known to build their own versions of existing fighter craft. They made the VF-25 out of the YF-24.

Though I wonder about the licensing issue with General Galaxy. (As Leon became a dictator.)

Though this could be special circumstances production and modification like the VF-11D Jamming Bird.

Edited by RedWolf

It's suppose to be a VF-171EX or VF-171X, or something of that nature. Unfortunately, there's no magazine or official literature on it.

I notice that the VF-171EX that Alto pilots is different from the rest of the grunts. Alto's one has the chest armour with missile pods very similar to the super/armoured VF-25 's fastpacks whil the CF doesn't. I wonder if it'll get a red/white paintscheme later. ;)

Ok got the image. People translations! ASAP!

Well, reading the little blurb underneath the matching picture it says "Stealth cruiser - space cruiser"

The text below is just too low res to read properly, but it compares it with the frigates. I can't see any mention of a name of the ship.

Edited by VF-25 Messiah

Alright, find the thread in question, you can read it here on this link: (note that the discussion spread at least 2 pages, so be sure to read the next page!)

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...4673&st=900

Summary: The grey ship that get owned by Vajra is called Stealth Frigate, according to the scan.

Edited by Sulendil Ang

Old article. Translated it months ago (heh heh. Never got around to writing it up, nor posting it. Heh.)

VF-25 Messiah's on the money.

As for why he wrote Stealth Crusier Space Crusier: it's because the katakana name for it is "Stealth Cruiser" and the kanji name for it is "Space Cruiser". Given the presentation of other Macross ships and their names, it means that the ship is named "Stealth Cruiser", and the type of ship is a "space cruiser."

It is called the VF-171EX.

LAI has been known to build their own versions of existing fighter craft. They made the VF-25 out of the YF-24.

Though I wonder about the licensing issue with General Galaxy. (As Leon became a dictator.)

Though this could be special circumstances production and modification like the VF-11D Jamming Bird.

Um.. LAI made the YF-24, they then upgraded it to the even better VF-25 from that prototype design. The YF-24 is why Galaxy Anonymous wasn't expecting that much of a challenge, apparently the VF-25 is a bit more than what they expected. This was all said in ep.15. As far as we know the VF-27 is also developed from the YF-24 but we don't exactly know who built it but it was probably people on Macross Galaxy since it is designed for cyborg pilots.

A couple of pics posted by Kelsain at the Episode 22 thread caught my attention:

vlcsnap386100rt7.th.png

vlcsnap392454bj1.th.png

Those 4 canisters on the LEFT side of the the VF-171EX (Fighter Mode) mounts on the left arm in Gerwalk and possibly Battroid mode!

I'm gettng YF-19 External Heavy Weapons Module vibes with that thing. :ph34r:

2w2ih61.gif

:ph34r:

Edited by grss1982

A couple of pics posted by Kelsain at the Episode 22 thread caught my attention:

vlcsnap386100rt7.th.png

vlcsnap392454bj1.th.png

Those 4 canisters on the LEFT side of the the VF-171EX (Fighter Mode) mounts on the left arm in Gerwalk and possibly Battroid mode!

I'm gettng YF-19 External Heavy Weapons Module vibes with that thing. :ph34r:

2w2ih61.gif

:ph34r:

I noticed it too but not something we won't know through logic since we know the position of the arms in fighter mode. Only problem is the missiles and MDE gun will be facing rearwards in battroid mode. Gerwalk-elbow-laser mode might still work if that form still exists.

Though i want to note that Alto's VF-171EX has an extra chest missile pod whereas the grunts don't. And the VF-171EX now has a underfuselage gunpod.

Edited by wolfx

Alto's VF-171EX also had leg FAST Packs as well (with verniers on legs' internal side in Battroid).

I think VF-171EX left arm add-on is just a missile launcher with exit ports on both front and rear side.

The underfuselage gunpod seems superfluous. Where it goes in Battroid mode, left hand?

FV

Finalvegeta: Nice spot. I didn't notice the leg fastpacks. Looking at the MDE gun, it looks like it can pivot around to face the right side in battroid and gerwalk mode so i think the same can be said for the MDE missile launcher. Exit ports on both sides won't make sense since the missiles inside are still facing one direction.

Taken from news thread:

http://www.death-note.biz/up/img/23149.jpg

It seems that Alto's VF-171EX DOES get a recolour!

Edited by wolfx

Finalvegeta: Nice spot. I didn't notice the leg fastpacks. Looking at the MDE gun, it looks like it can pivot around to face the right side in battroid and gerwalk mode so i think the same can be said for the MDE missile launcher. Exit ports on both sides won't make sense since the missiles inside are still facing one direction.

I don't think the MDE missile launcher can pivot around, but oh well. This is a scan found on 4chan. I hope after a while we'll get true scans and not cellphone camera photos ^_^

1220879221296tv9.th.jpg

FV

VF-1 wing mounted missile packs had missiles that faced both ways I recall (at least from the Yamato version).

I don't think the MDE missile launcher can pivot around, but oh well. This is a scan found on 4chan. I hope after a while we'll get true scans and not cellphone camera photos ^_^

1220879221296tv9.th.jpg

I'd like to point out however that the MDE gun does seem to pivot round to face forward in Gerwalk mode (at least in the pic, it looks like it's still attached to the arm and not held in hand).

Also, if you look at the pictures posted earlier, the mounting points on the arms are suspiciously round.

Edited by d3v

1220879221296tv9.th.jpg

1220879221296tv9xw4.th.jpg

FV

ZOMG!!!! :wacko:

Battle Frontier in Storm Attacker Mode!!! :ph34r:

We need a better scan of that. :)

BTW..I just realized that it seems like MF is the first series where we see the lead character (Alto) gets a downgrade instead of an upgrade. VF-25 ----> VF-171EX :ph34r:

Taken from news thread:

http://www.death-note.biz/up/img/23149.jpg

It seems that Alto's VF-171EX DOES get a recolour!

I decided to re-upload that pic you provided since I keep getting a 503 error.

adcfvc.jpg

Edited by grss1982

Graham must be creaming his pants right about now.

And battle 25 looks EVILLLLLL!!! I LOVE IT!!!

I actually like the VF-171 alot now!!

He definitely needs new pants right about now. :lol:

Correction It does'nt look EVILLLLLL. <_< It looks AWESOME!!!! :lol:

BTW....does this mean that Alto will be downgraded permanently into the VF-171EX? Bye-bye VF-25F with Super Pack or Armor Pack. :(

Edited by grss1982

He definitely needs new pants right about now. :lol:

Correction It does'nt look EVILLLLLL. <_< It looks AWESOME!!!! :lol:

BTW....does this mean that Alto will be downgraded permanently into the VF-171EX? Bye-bye VF-25F with Super Pack or Armor Pack. :(

Not counting on it. I still think he'll be acting together with Quarter again for the last episode, just in time for him to sortie with his Messiah for the last battle.

Battle Frontier looks so amazing in Attacker mode. Its shape is so much nicer than Battle 7 was, the bigger legs help that I think, and the body seems smaller more compact which works very well. The color really works for it as well. I so hope Bandai makes a figure of Battle Frontier, me want!!!

Grace O'Connor we have seen her do some amazing things. So this begs the question do you think she is more? mecha or person

I can see it now, from Dr. Mao's memoirs

"She's more machine now than human, twisted by the kadun of evil."

Adapted from Obi-Wan's line about Vader from episode 6 (or was it 5?).

Edited by Master Dex

Her current body is definitely all mecha. That was made clear by the fact that she's died twice on screen. Though whether her consciousness is real or AI remains to be seen. I think it's real.

"She's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil."

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus