Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread III *Read 1st Post*

azrael

The Varauta variable fighters are definitely based off the VF-14, but you can't upgrade something into a new fighter generation, so the VF-14s had to be high performing to begin with. Even an upgraded variant based upon the VF-14 could only go so far. The VF-14 at least had to be a better performer than the newer VF-11 in order for the Varauta to upgrade it to VF-17 levels of performance. For all their vaunted powers, the Varauta never came across as significantly advanced to the UN Spacy. They couldn't even build super beam guns and were totally taken aback by the attack of the Battle 7.

It makes sense, considering what Spacy had to "build" was naturally occuring in each PD unit...

Suggesting that they had limited knowledge of PC technology.

Edited by Zinjo

If the Varauta Fz-109 Elgerzorene is any indication, the VF-14 was quite advanced and had performance comparable to the VF-17 Nightmare.

Can't remember the thrust to weight ratio figures off the top of my head, but IIC, the VF-17 had a superior thrust to weight ratio than the Fz-109 and definitely appeared to be more manuevrable in M7 (not surprising with the 30+ verniers).

The way I look at is that the Fz-109 was superior to the VF-11C, but the VF-17 had a slight edge over the Fz-109.

Graham

I've been thinking, it could possibly be an upgraded variant of the VF-14 developed by reverse engineering the Varauta fighters and then tuned for a more specific role as compared to the more multi-role VF-171.

Edited by d3v

The Fz-109 is rated slightly less than the VF-17, but the point is they are comparable and in the same performance range. The Varauta mecha are much better performance-wise than the VF-11C (though the Super Packs may put them on a level field).

I haven't watched 7 in awhile, but weren't the Varauta mecha able to take a bit more of a beating than the UN Spacy valks (or at least that's how it seemed in the hands of Gigile and/or Gavil)?

Edited by d3v

you know, we also need to take into account that there are at 2 very different version of the VF-14. there's the finalized official VF-14 from the M3 video game, and then there is the the rough sketch VF-14 from Macross 7 which the Fz-109 is based off of, and may in fact actually be the VA-14. and there might be major differences in performance between the VF and VA versions.