Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread III *Read 1st Post*

azrael

Her current body is definitely all mecha. That was made clear by the fact that she's died twice on screen. Though whether her consciousness is real or AI remains to be seen. I think it's real.

"She's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil."

I beat you :p. Still it is a good one though.

If Grace's body is full synthetic makes me want to ask another question. If given the choice would you rather have Grace model android or a Meltran clone both programmed with the same mind?

You don't have to feed, care for or spend time with an android, you just turn her off. The problem is how perfectly is her body recreated, don't want a terminator skeleton to be under there.

Edited by DarkReaper

Anyone have a high resolution version of that scan showing Battle Frontier in carrier and storm attacker mode? I'd really like do see a better version of that picture.

I'm sure one will show up before long. It's really fun to see such variety in the NMC class designs, especially contrasted to the old SDF-01 clones that pop up on backwater planets. :)

This one certainly fits into the "mean-looking" class of NMC, as was Macross-13. One wonders if Quarter will be able to take it out, if indeed that's the way the plot it going?

Mark

Edited by Mark Nguyen

This one certainly fits into the "mean-looking" class of NMC, as was Macross-13.

Mark

Well since it is a NMC 25 one can hope U.N.Spacy learned from the Macross 7 and the other ships of the line that relied on their fighters too much, and kicked the bucket. The Firepower on the Frontier is nothing like what we seen before short of the SDF-01.

It looks make it more then mean...More along the line..."Thats nothing i wanna mess with." and if it uses it's main cannon like in ep 18 or 19 i think it was it would really be eye candy for everyone.

Where are the verniers located on the YF-21 to allow it to VTOL in fighter?

I don't remember ever seeing that the YF-21 could VTOL in fighter, why do that when you can go gerwalk? I know the SV-51 could VTOL in fighter though.

I don't remember ever seeing that the YF-21 could VTOL in fighter, why do that when you can go gerwalk? I know the SV-51 could VTOL in fighter though.

Anything that is capable of Z-axis positive translation(sliding up) in excess of a G or 2 with its verniers could technically land and take off vtol.

Anything that is capable of Z-axis positive translation(sliding up) in excess of a G or 2 with its verniers could technically land and take off vtol.

True which means any valk then could use verniers to do this, however they rarely do because of gerwalk mode. Meanwhile the SV-51 is specifically mentioned to be able to do this, indication it is used.

True which means any valk then could use verniers to do this, however they rarely do because of gerwalk mode. Meanwhile the SV-51 is specifically mentioned to be able to do this, indication it is used.

I think it was in DYRL and the VF was in fighter mode. They where on the sunken island right before the Macross landed and he transformed into Gerwalk mode from fighter mode while landed. All the undercarriage thrusters fired at the same time for enough clearance for the legs to swing under and do the rest. And since all Valks have Thrust Vectoring this could be easer since they can at least create some more thrust downward and make the strain on the other thrusters way less.

The Compendium has listed the VF-171EX as an anti-Vajra valk

Variants

* VF-171: Normal version.

* RVF-171: Early-warning version that is equipped with a radome.

* VF-171EX: Anti-Vajra version with new equipment and thoroughly tuned up.

No entry on Battle Frontier yet.

You know, I've wondered since we first saw the schematics of how the leg-side-doors open up to allow the ventral fins to fold, if they could be used as airbrakes. Huge ones for sure, but they could do it F-15-style and open only a few degrees, with their large surface being averaged out by the small amount of deployment. It does seem to be a needlessly huge part for just the ventral fins to fold. Do they have some other function? They open "the wrong way" for a missile compartment and there's no evidence at all of there being any there.

Also---have we ever actually seen those doors open up? I've never noticed it animated, the ventral fins always seem to magically/instantly be in their folded position. Then again, I've never freeze-framed a transformation.

You don't have to feed, care for or spend time with an android, you just turn her off. The problem is how perfectly is her body recreated, don't want a terminator skeleton to be under there.

Seriously, if she looks THIS HOT:

post-9378-1221052549_thumb.jpg

post-9378-1221052702_thumb.jpg

and possesses THIS much grace:

post-9378-1221052678_thumb.jpg

Would you REALLY care? The terminator endoskeleton is a HUGE bonus. :)

No need to worry about irreparably damaged or dead girlfriends ever again.

Well since it is a NMC 25 one can hope U.N.Spacy learned from the Macross 7 and the other ships of the line that relied on their fighters too much, and kicked the bucket. The Firepower on the Frontier is nothing like what we seen before short of the SDF-01.

Not sure about that... Battle 7 has destroyed myltiple vessels on multiple occaisions, and Battle Frontier seems to have roughly that ability (plus a nifty drop-down feature which IMO allows them to traverse the Macross cannon beam without turning the whole ship in carrier mode). Other than that, Frontier only looks like it has additional antiship beam weapons mounted in turrets, not unlike Quarter but in larger numbers on the shoulders. If she has smaller AA weapons and missiles, they're too small to see so far (as they would doubtless be on Battle 7 or even Quarter).

Mark

Not sure about that... Battle 7 has destroyed myltiple vessels on multiple occaisions, and Battle Frontier seems to have roughly that ability (plus a nifty drop-down feature which IMO allows them to traverse the Macross cannon beam without turning the whole ship in carrier mode). Other than that, Frontier only looks like it has additional antiship beam weapons mounted in turrets, not unlike Quarter but in larger numbers on the shoulders. If she has smaller AA weapons and missiles, they're too small to see so far (as they would doubtless be on Battle 7 or even Quarter).

Mark

On that note I have to wonder what is the purpose for Battle Frontier to transform at all if it can fire the cannon so effectively in carrier mode? Besides it looking so amazingly awesome when in storm attacker mode there really is no extensional purpose to it. Some people say it can fire in a greater arc but I don't see this as enough reasoning to necessitate a transformation into a large humanoid robot. Don't get me wrong I like that aspect ans I think from that one picture Battle Frontier is just awesome looking in robot mode (seriously Bandai, Battle Frontier toy, work on it), I just wonder if there is a purpose now.

The purpose of transformation has been nebulous at best since the first Macross. I tend to buy the notion that Attacker mode will allow the main cannon to traverse and hit targets faster, without moving the entire ship to do so. However, there would be many more efficient ways of doing so withouth changing your ship to look like a giant robot. In THEORY, Attacker mode would allow more weapons to be trained on a given target due to increased cross sectional area presented to the enemy; this may have some tactical value, but again I think there would be better ways to do this than transfoming a ship. Honestly, the REAL reason is and remains that IT JUST LOOKS COOL.

Now, if only someone could explain the use of five-fingered HANDS on the Big Mac and Quarter Pounder? Are there really big buttons or keyboards out there to justify them? What use are enormous opposable thumbs when there's nothing that big to really pick up and hold precisely?

Mark

The purpose of transformation has been nebulous at best since the first Macross. I tend to buy the notion that Attacker mode will allow the main cannon to traverse and hit targets faster, without moving the entire ship to do so. However, there would be many more efficient ways of doing so withouth changing your ship to look like a giant robot. In THEORY, Attacker mode would allow more weapons to be trained on a given target due to increased cross sectional area presented to the enemy; this may have some tactical value, but again I think there would be better ways to do this than transfoming a ship. Honestly, the REAL reason is and remains that IT JUST LOOKS COOL.

Now, if only someone could explain the use of five-fingered HANDS on the Big Mac and Quarter Pounder? Are there really big buttons or keyboards out there to justify them? What use are enormous opposable thumbs when there's nothing that big to really pick up and hold precisely?

Mark

For the Big Mac trigger and support when using the gumship.

AS for the Quarter support for the gun arm.

I seem to recall that the VF-o had a similar door to access the engines. Maybe it is there for realism? Seems to be much too big for a flap or airbrake. But who knows. Thank You David for posting the picture.

Twich

Edited by twich

I seem to recall that the VF-o had a similar door to access the engines. Maybe it is there for realism? Seems to be much too big for a flap or airbrake. But who knows. Thank You David for posting the picture.

Twich

Looks like just an access panel.

And >EXO<, that was hilarious.

reminds me of this:

r35_manual4.JPG

On another note, what exactly do the antennae guns on things like the VF-1S, VF-1J, VF-1A, VF-19S and YF-19 fire? Are they typed as lasers or what?

Also, I wanted to check on weapons manufacture, circa 2048 projectile weapons are still very much in use, though what precisely nose-mounted machine guns are firing, I don't know and I'd like to ascertain that.

Also, circa 2048 valkyries are still equipped with pinpoint barriers, yes?

Lastly, we know that fold weaponry exists in 2059, but in 2048 is it completely implausible to surmise that someone could attempt weaponizing a fold booster or creating some type of fold-fault generator or fold dislocation device?

I realize that this is all make-believe technology but I'd like to know... mainly to fact-check and make sure my Rf-31 prototype fighter's technology is correct.

Edited by RF-26AAC

Can anyone translate to see if it says anything other than "this opens up to allow the ventral fin to fold in".

Doesn't even say that.

From what I can make out: "This is the view from the outside. The panel opens and closes for workers. On the reverse side of the armor..."

Mark

As I figured, but it is useful to have another opinion. The reason I ask is because while I really like how Battle Frontier looks in Attacker, a friend of mine who has never seen Macross (and probably never will, he doesn't like many anime nor does he want to watch anything in Japanese, also seems to hate subtitles for anything) was speaking about how he thought it was such a dumb idea (having not seen the show he couldn't see the cool factor that I do I guess) and I had really no reason to tell him for why the ship turns into a giant robot.

As I figured, but it is useful to have another opinion. The reason I ask is because while I really like how Battle Frontier looks in Attacker, a friend of mine who has never seen Macross (and probably never will, he doesn't like many anime nor does he want to watch anything in Japanese, also seems to hate subtitles for anything) was speaking about how he thought it was such a dumb idea (having not seen the show he couldn't see the cool factor that I do I guess) and I had really no reason to tell him for why the ship turns into a giant robot.

Cuz it looks cool. ^_^

On another note, what exactly do the antennae guns on things like the VF-1S, VF-1J, VF-1A, VF-19S and YF-19 fire? Are they typed as lasers or what?

They are lasers. Not sure on the VF-19kai Fire Valkyrie. Check the Macross Compendium or the Macross Mecha Manual.