Macross Frontier Episode 16 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 16  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 16 Rating

• Positive (Decepti...whoops wrong show...RANKA!!!! ATTACK!!!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (Sheryl sneaks out of the hospital...I wanna sneak out of this show)

Song energy -> Song wave -> dimensional fold wave. Darn, soon everyone must start singing in order to Fold, Basara would be proud.

"The Galaxy is Calling Me" established the concept of wave motion energy in Macross. Something about the energy given off by all living things flowing through like ripples of somethingerother. This seems to be an extension of that.

Can't wait for the subtitles, I want to know just how Basara & the Protodevelin were referenced. Brera is also fighting quite nicely into his Kaifun role, which means we can expect to see him drunk throwing things at Ranka within the next 8 or so eps :)

Edited by Keith

except for the new Aimo, i'm really liking the music on this one. hope it's on the OST2 rather than have to wait for the 3rd.

i really don't mind re-used footage, but i just wish they wouldn't run the same re-used footage more than once in an episode and risk too much deja vu.

Next episode's title "Goodbye Sister" does not bode well :o

Yeah I too am down on this episode. No fun fighting the Vaggies if they have no fight in them. Funny seeing the Vaggie-Ka-Bob at the start of the ep with Alto and a CFVF.

I think Ozma is going to kick the bucket... :ph34r:

I must say this episode has some FANTASTIC music, especially around the 21:00 mark. This show is unlike I've seen before. Filled with heart, soul and the epic visuals to boot. Also have a new-found respect for the VF-27. That thing just kicks ass. XD

Can't wait for the subtitles, I want to know just how Basara & the Protodevelin were referenced.

I'm not sure what Klan said about the Protodeviln, but the Basara reference was that someone (Capt. Wilder, I believe?) told Ranka that she was like a new Lynn Minmay, to which Bobby interjected, "That's too old fashioned! She's like Basara!" And the Bridge Bunnies said that even THAT was too out-of-date.

Callsign Rabbit One -> Ranka One....

complete with "Call up Monster Girl" Ranka nose art :wub:

snapshot20080725134022jq7.th.jpg

YAY!!!! :wub:

VF-25S with Armored Pack & NUKES!!! :ph34r:

I NOW demand a scene with both Ozma's VF-25S and Alto's VF-25F flying in formation with Armored Pack and NUKES!!! :angry::wub:

Edited by grss1982

I'm not sure what Klan said about the Protodeviln, but the Basara reference was that someone (Capt. Wilder, I believe?) told Ranka that she was like a new Lynn Minmay, to which Bobby interjected, "That's too old fashioned! She's like Basara!" And the Bridge Bunnies said that even THAT was too out-of-date.

That was Bobby.

Since both Ozma and Bobby are Fire Bomber fans something tells me they met during a Fire Bomber concert.

Or the Macross universe's version of Woodstock.

I liked this episode even with the rehashed scenes. We get to see Ranka's full effect on the vajra in a battle and get some more insight on the different players in this fabricated war. I'm really liking Ranka's devellopment even though i still like Sheryl a bit more. She wants to fight and support her friends but even she doesn't like how things are being planned out for her yet she keeps going for the sake of her loved ones. She has grabbed herself another fan (you may rejoice Ranka-fan's! But Queen Sheryl still holds the number one place. I love them both.)

Finally Alto notices that Sheryl's earring is the same as Bilier(sp?) ring. Wonder what he will do about that. And Michael! Why haven't you reported those witch pills! How hard did you hit your head! Someone has to stop Grace!

Seems like Ozma has ordered himself a pinapple salad next week. I can see it now, Ranka makes the recipe for her beloved brother filling it with all her memories and love she holds for him as he promises to make it to her concert...Someone should have told Ranka-chan the dangers of such actions.

Can't wait to see their past, overall really good episode.

That was Bobby.

Since both Ozma and Bobby are Fire Bomber fans something tells me they met during a Fire Bomber concert.

Or the Macross universe's version of Woodstock.

huh? i thought he was talking about the last part....

it was one of the bridge bunnies who said Ranka was like a new Lynn Minmay.... its either Ram or Mina... i'm guessing its specky Mina from the voice...

maybe bobby was trying to get into Ozma's good books by talking about Fire Bomber :p ... coz we all know Ozma's a Fire Bomber fan :)

as for Protodeviln, i think they're talking about how music has its effects and it's proven in previous encounters. :unsure:

I'm not sure why you all say this is a "weak episode" :blink: Some of you seem to think that if there isn't mecha "pr0n" then it's weak. :rolleyes: Understand that this is a drama series like the original. It's not all mecha or love story, it's both. You have to have balance. (I've said this how many times now?) :D

*looks at Azrael* ;)

Edited by MisaForever

At the end Graze was thinking Ranka's emotion rating was not high enough, so guess how she is going to increase it? Either Alto's or Ozma's plane will be sabataged or ambushed, and then Ozma will be the one eating the pinapple salad.

As for the song don't feel right - well they replaced all the "gentle little green child" with war theme "motherland Frontier" stuff. I guess it's also Megumi Nakajima's skill by singing it poorly on purpose, because Ranka wouldn't like the change.

Edited by CF18

Frontier people must be kind of dumb, as many has said, how come everyone is just letting Grace and Brera just be like that, the mysterious chic that slip pills to get Sheryl sick, that somehow got a LAI artifact and destroyed Galia 4, and supposedly got rescued from there by the mysterious pilot and VF that has damage/destroyed at least 4 SMS fighters, and now Grace is allowed to be in Frontiers bridge and command, and Brera is set to protect the new macross idol....I say, President Glass isn't doing his job right, Leon has him wrapped on his finger

by the way, how come noone has said something about how "sweet lovely wonderful innocent peaceful" Ranka just DITCHED poor Elmo, or didn't seem to had put any fight to keep him as him manager? the dude that found her, went trough hell to promote her (since Grace and Leon were doing everything so she wouldn't get noticed), and she just ditch him! that's the most coldest thing in Macross I've seen, worst than Hikaru attitude towards Misa.... hope she's s big bug and gets squished and Alto ends up with Sheryl

and why would Canaria have a pin up girl in her Monster? tomboy

Monster dropping flares:

infrared missiles? :lol: nah.... light sensitive missiles? :unsure:

This is one thing I was thinking... we all know the Vajra used these chaff-like things in the first episode, and then never again. Well, these things maybe were indeed chaff. They were not a countermeasure against missiles per se, but they worked against the guidance system of missiles. So, if the guidance system is different, missiles are effective again. Which means they all fight without using radars.

Let me just say that I don't much care if Ozma dies next week, because they've done nothing to develop his character past the first few episodes.

Maybe that's why they did it :ph34r: These days characters loved by the public can't be killed. I heard even Orange in Code Geass was supposed to die, and then they resurrected him.

FV

Brera can wear super low cut pants without exposing his... :ph34r:

Maybe he's like a dog. :lol:

Always did wonder about those pants. No innuendos/pun intended.

Brera may not trust Alto protecting Ranka, and vice versa. Though it may be more one sided.

I also think it's very likely that Brera is Ranka's brother, but the picture Alto found in Global (If I remember correctly) had only Ranka and presumably her parents. But the man had yellow hair. It's very intriguing. I think there might an episode dedicated or mostly dedicated to this. (Next episode?)

Edited by Incandescence

I also think it's very likely that Brera is Ranka's brother, but the picture Alto found in Global (If I remember correctly) had only Ranka and presumably her parents. But the man had yellow hair. It's very intriguing. I think there might an episode dedicated or mostly dedicated to this. (Next episode?)

No, Brera was in the picture, as well. The question is whether or not he still is her brother. I don't know how much of him is actually human, if anything at all.

Next episode's title "Goodbye Sister" does not bode well :o

Don't hold your breath, remember "Memory of Global". That title and the images of what we thought might have been the SDF-1, lead us to belive that there was some connection between that episode and Capt. Global of the original Macross.

What did we get, an SDF that was named Global and that's all. "Goodbye Sister" could mean alot of things, not just the death of Ozma or Brera. <_<

No, Brera was in the picture, as well. The question is whether or not he still is her brother. I don't know how much of him is actually human, if anything at all.

Brera is probably just a shell of whatever was left of Ranka's brother.

He was? How did I miss that... Either way, it's still intriguing. But I agree, he may have been created, though IMO I think he was originally human.

And I just finished viewing with subs. That made a lot more sense.

Apparently they don't need any older methods of transmitting music anymore (such as open Zentrandi communications or speaker pods and sound boosters), apparently Aimo emits tiny fold waves somehow... I don't get that much.

And we now have a name for the purple crystals, Fold Quartz! However despite Bilra telling this to Alto, we still don't know anymore more about it. It seems very clear Bilra told Alto a lot of stuff that we have yet to be told though, I hope we won't have to wait long.

And I just finished viewing with subs. That made a lot more sense.

Apparently they don't need any older methods of transmitting music anymore (such as open Zentrandi communications or speaker pods and sound boosters), apparently Aimo emits tiny fold waves somehow... I don't get that much.

And we now have a name for the purple crystals, Fold Quartz! However despite Bilra telling this to Alto, we still don't know anymore more about it. It seems very clear Bilra told Alto a lot of stuff that we have yet to be told though, I hope we won't have to wait long.

Well in a way fold waves could explain why Emilia's singing in Veil managed to reach Macross 7.

But if Mr. Bilrer is to believed fold quartz can make the galaxy a smaller place.

Just watched the episode and everyone's covered pretty much everything else. Am I the only one that thought that Sheryl was gonna slaughter everyone on the bridge when she came up and was just standing there, expressionless, while some horror movie music played? I thought for a second that Grace had activated some sleeper programming or something... i was relieved to see that wasn't the case though lol

Well, another excellent episode ! B))

Unfortunately Mr Bilrer remains as myterious as ever hummf. I assume we haven't seen the whole of his conversation with Alto.

In any case that Ranka Attack was great... the Aimo remix is interesting... but most importantly it feels really gloomy, as if it's bringing with it a foreboding sense off doom.

I mean.... in a way the episodes really feels "off". The is classic Macross... the Ranka attack works, the Vajra can be controlled and beaten... Ranka become the new shining star of hope, the new Minmary (or the new Basara yeah, I love you Bobby :lol: )... but rather than the joyful sens of hope and rejoincind you should sense in thes circunstances.... all that's left is a real uneasyness... it just feels... wrong.

Other than that the mecha action is still the best ever.

And I really love May'n new ending song

Next please !

-Sergorn

Well, another excellent episode ! B))

Unfortunately Mr Bilrer remains as myterious as ever hummf. I assume we haven't seen the whole of his conversation with Alto.

In any case that Ranka Attack was great... the Aimo remix is interesting... but most importantly it feels really gloomy, as if it's bringing with it a foreboding sense off doom.

I mean.... in a way the episodes really feels "off". The is classic Macross... the Ranka attack works, the Vajra can be controlled and beaten... Ranka become the new shining star of hope, the new Minmary (or the new Basara yeah, I love you Bobby :lol: )... but rather than the joyful sens of hope and rejoincind you should sense in thes circunstances.... all that's left is a real uneasyness... it just feels... wrong.

Other than that the mecha action is still the best ever.

And I really love May'n new ending song

Next please !

-Sergorn

Yea it does feel off in the sense of uneasiness. But what I don't get is why ppl are using this against the episode, its pretty good storytelling IMO.