Macross Frontier Episode 16 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 16  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 16 Rating

• Positive (Decepti...whoops wrong show...RANKA!!!! ATTACK!!!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (Sheryl sneaks out of the hospital...I wanna sneak out of this show)

As I watched this episode, I was thinking that there was probably at least one accountant sitting in the bowels of Bandai with this ep on a loop shouting: "YATTA YATTA YATTA" Given how many possible models of Valks in there.

Let's see:

VF-25 (Ozama)

VF-25 super pack (Ozama)

VF-25 armored pack (Ozama)

VF-25 (Alto)

VF-25 super pack (Alto)

VF-25 armored pack (Alto)

VF-25 (Luca)

VF-25 super pack (Luca)

VF-25 (Michel)

VF-25 super pack (Michel)

VF-25 (grunt)

VF-25 super pack (grunt)

Koenig Monster

VF-27 (Brera)

VF-27 (grunt)

Macross Quarter

Quadrulunn (Klan Klan)

Quadrulunn (vanguard battalion)

Quadrulunn (Macross Galaxy)

The best part, most of these are just repaint jobs. This is almost as good as a Gundam show.

And...Off-topic, but NoNameSt11, I've been wondering for about your avatar for a while now..."I'd rather swallow barbed wire and floss myself" than do what, exactly..? :huh:

It's a clip from Zero Punctuation, a video game review on The Escapist, in reference to either flossing oneself or playing a terrible game.

As I watched this episode, I was thinking that there was probably at least one accountant sitting in the bowels of Bandai with this ep on a loop shouting: "YATTA YATTA YATTA" Given how many possible models of Valks in there.

Let's see:

VF-25 (Ozama)

VF-25 super pack (Ozama)

VF-25 (Alto)

VF-25 super pack (Alto)

VF-25 (Luca)

VF-25 super pack (Luca)

VF-25 (Michel)

VF-25 (grunt)

VF-25 super pack (grunt)

Koenig Monster

VF-27 (Brera)

VF-27 (grunt)

Macross Quarter

Quadrulunn (Klan Klan)

The best part, most of these are just repaint jobs. This is almost as good as a Gundam show.

Does the Galaxy have Quadrulunn? I thought that Sherly said that there where no Zentradi in the Galaxy fleet or did I miss something. (always a possibility)

On the new Quadraluun pilot.

I know it somewhat a typical anime cliche that the younger sibling would replace their older sibling that died but I think Raramia may have a younger sister.

I been watching episode 10 and the actress that Ranka replaced for Mao's role looks like a younger version of Raramia.

Does the Galaxy have Quadrulunn? I thought that Sherly said that there where no Zentradi in the Galaxy fleet or did I miss something. (always a possibility)

Meant Frontier... but I'm sure the accountant at Bandai can scare up a Galaxy version. And Yeah, I know I got the spelling wrong.

Oh, and I forgot the VF-17 variants and the possibility of a VF-24 too.... heh heh

Let's see:

VF-25 (Ozama)

VF-25 super pack (Ozama)

VF-25 (Alto)

VF-25 super pack (Alto)

VF-25 (Luca)

VF-25 super pack (Luca)

VF-25 (Michel)

VF-25 (grunt)

VF-25 super pack (grunt)

Koenig Monster

VF-27 (Brera)

VF-27 (grunt)

Macross Quarter

Quadrulunn (Klan Klan)

As good as a Gundam show? How about as good as the original Macross, where everyone flew a VF-1 with a different paint job and a few different heads thrown in...

Can someone tell me how to (or if it is possible) fix an issue I'm having with subs? It seems like whenever a song is playing the subtitles of the song's lyrics get layered right on top (or below) the subtitles of the dialogue. The result is a stack of letters right on top of each other that is utterly illegible. This was especially annoying in Lunar's subtitles for episode 15.

Can someone tell me how to (or if it is possible) fix an issue I'm having with subs? It seems like whenever a song is playing the subtitles of the song's lyrics get layered right on top (or below) the subtitles of the dialogue. The result is a stack of letters right on top of each other that is utterly illegible. This was especially annoying in Lunar's subtitles for episode 15.

Gotta let us know what you're playing the episodes on and what type they are. It sounds like you're using VLC player and it's a .mkv file. If you're not using a Mac, google CCCP and use the Media Player Classic. If you are using a Mac, watch the .avi versions.

No, not at all, but... At what point does conviction become reality? I think that's happened already. I mean... Say, in the name of interspecies touchy-feely-ness, SMS and NUNS stand down, when the V. fleet from Gallia 4 defolds? One-sided slaughter of Frontier would presumably result. Obviously, this is way beyond mere conviction.

The reality is that given the status quo, Frontier has no choice but to engage the threat, or face annihilation. How one-sided the "slaughter" becomes after that point is, in my opinion, just a measure of relative combat effectiveness. (The Vajra used to have the upper hand, now they don't.)

If the weapon is sentient..? Both the weapon and the user.

If the weapon isn't sentient..? Only the user, but there's nothing wrong with destroying the weapon.

Well, again, we need to decide whether or not the Vajra are sentient to a point where it is ethically reprehensible to kill them. No, the wasps aren't to blame, but I'm going to have no problem with pulling a can of RAID on them, either. Likewise, if somebody deliberately threw a wasp nest at me, again, killing off the wasps would be my first task. (Needless to say, the second would be to boot somebody's rear. Galaxy has it coming, no doubt. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Galaxy fan.)

~Luke

If somebody deliberately threw a wasp nest at you, getting the hell away from the wasps and their nest would be the smartest thing to do. Trust me... If u try to kill them they'll just keep stinging at you... :rolleyes:

I believe the whole point here is that Frontier is a Colonization Fleet, by no means a War/Attack fleet. Glass knows it. That's why he had been trying to avoid open/total War with the Vajra. But now Leon has him in his pocket thanks to Grace...

Yes, right now the Frontier fleet has the upper hand... But their reaction weaponry isn't infinite. And the Vajra's areas of influence are very very vast... (Btw, does somebody have a pic of those?).

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Meh, the guy already said he meant to write Frontier and not Galaxy, let's not add any more fuel to the fire with this mistake ;)

I didn't see any edits to the list, and I didn't see his later post. Gotcha. :)

He's pushing her back out of sight so that Cathy doesn't see her on the monitor. You're not supposed to sneak civilians onto a military warship without permission from the captain (which generally doesn't include taking them to your private quarters). And if it were known that Sheryl were in his room (as will almost certainly be the case after this episode...), then he'd attract all the wrong kinds of attention from everyone who found out.

Hehe. Yeah, i know that, no need to explain. i was making a rhetorical question/reaction as a sheryl fan. you don't plaster The Queen's face to a wall. ya just don't. :D

all in all, that whole scene from the time sheryl wakes up in alto's bed, to the time alto and mikail are called for duty, was funny and endearing. just realized, this time it was alto who got sheryl conscious of their faces being too close to each other. usually it's alto who gets all red and fuzzy brained. too bad for sheryl, alto wasn't even looking at her but at her earring. :p

speaking about that earring, is Alto the only one that knows about the Fold Quartz? Bilra must think him important indeed in the grand scheme of things to tell him this. Aside from Luca, of course, but i assume luca didn't get his information from Bilra or SMS.

Edited by dreamweaver13

Just a tip, VLC is terrible.

It's been pretty dependable up until now but the subbers we have left seem to be coding the lyrics with the same timings as the dialog. I switched (on Mac) to using MKVtool to open the file and play it with mplayer - this worked fine showing the lyric on above the subs until mplayer crapped out about 10 minutes into episode 16. All my mkv' s seem to have sound sync problems when I play them on my PC. Same files play Ok on the Mac. Some I guess it's my PC set up but my CCCP is okay so, I dunno.

If some one knows how to launch mplayer by itself with a command to play the subs let me know!

During the battle I'm wondering why they didn't started by using Macross Cannon, a single hit from that BFG would vaporize the nest instantly. I refer to epi.14 battle where multiple nukes are required to destroy Vajra Gunship while Quarter only need one solid hit.

It's been pretty dependable up until now but the subbers we have left seem to be coding the lyrics with the same timings as the dialog. I switched (on Mac) to using MKVtool to open the file and play it with mplayer - this worked fine showing the lyric on above the subs until mplayer crapped out about 10 minutes into episode 16. All my mkv' s seem to have sound sync problems when I play them on my PC. Same files play Ok on the Mac. Some I guess it's my PC set up but my CCCP is okay so, I dunno.

If some one knows how to launch mplayer by itself with a command to play the subs let me know!

That sounds like you're computer can't handle the higher quality versions. I had a similar problem on my old desktop.

I just wish everything was compatible, it'd make technology so much easier.

That sounds like you're computer can't handle the higher quality versions. I had a similar problem on my old desktop.

I just wish everything was compatible, it'd make technology so much easier.

Ah...you're such a dreamer...

Putting together my Macross (and U.C. Gundam) be-all-end-all torrents, I would LOVE to have everything in nice, high-quality XviD (or DivX, or whatever the hell it is) form, since it seems like EVERYBODY can play that with a minimum of fuss, but not everything is available in that format.

And you never answered my question about your avatar...

Gubaba, he did answer about his avatar, it's a video game reviewer on the webzine zero punctuation, hilarious stuff.

By the way, I switched to Media Player Classic and rewatched the episode... so much nicer.

lol, ya, I'm really glad a friend switched me to that a year ago. Too bad the developers said they'll never make a version for Macs.

And Gubaba, I answered on pg 13. ;)

all in all, that whole scene from the time sheryl wakes up in alto's bed, to the time alto and mikail are called for duty, was funny and endearing. just realized, this time it was alto who got sheryl conscious of their faces being too close to each other. usually it's alto who gets all red and fuzzy brained. too bad for sheryl, alto wasn't even looking at her but at her earring. :p

He was looking at her after she turned her face back to look at his.

:p

There's a brief pause there with the two staring at each other between when she turns her head back to face him, and when Michael opens the door. I got the feeling that if Michael hadn't shown up right then, then they would have started with a slightly modified version of the conversation that they were having right before Alto spotted the earring.

speaking about that earring, is Alto the only one that knows about the Fold Quartz? Bilra must think him important indeed in the grand scheme of things to tell him this. Aside from Luca, of course, but i assume luca didn't get his information from Bilra or SMS.

Luca can spot a fold generator using his plane's sensors, but I don't know that there's actually any indication that he knows anything about the quartz crystals themselves. He's seen Sheryl up close plenty of times at school, and hasn't made the connection. Whereas Alto recognizes the earring for what it is the very first time that he sees Sheryl after learning about the quartz.

During the battle I'm wondering why they didn't started by using Macross Cannon, a single hit from that BFG would vaporize the nest instantly

Because, to borrow Brera's cocky comment, using the Macross Cannon to immediately vaporize the Vajra would have meant that the experiment that was the entire point of the battle didn't take place. For an experiment like the one that was conducted, you would intentionally choose a Vajra nest that had a small group of Vajra that you could easily overwhelm with just your conventional forces. That way if the experiment doesn't work for some reason, then you won't find yourself horribly outmatched.

He was looking at her after she turned her face back to look at his.

:p

There's a brief pause there with the two staring at each other between when she turns her head back to face him, and when Michael opens the door. I got the feeling that if Michael hadn't shown up right then, then they would have started with a slightly modified version of the conversation that they were having right before Alto spotted the earring.

Well, I think in the way they look at each other, speaks of some chemistry between Alto and Sheryl! B)):rolleyes:

VLC doesn't render .ASS format subtitles properly, so it's not a good choice for watching softsubbed (MKV) anime.

For CCCP: If you're having trouble with video keeping up with sound or subtitles, try re-registering your CCCP filters (open CCCP Settings via the Start menu, go to the 2nd page of settings, and check "Re-register all filters"). If that doesn't work, open Media Player Classic, go to View > Options > Output (in the left menubar) and make sure Overlay Mixer (under DirectShow Video) is selected. Also try closing other programs (e.g. Firefox, torrent clients, whatever) before you play videos. Failing that, consider trying CoreAVC (www.coreavc.com), the fastest H.264 video decoder, which may solve the problem if your computer is just a bit too slow to play the video back using CCCP's inbuilt decoder (ffdshow).

If your PC is more powerful than your Mac, it's got to be a configuration problem rather than your computer being too slow, though.

edit: a pretty illustrative comparison of subtitle renderers (VLC vs MPlayer/libass vs CCCP):

softsubcomparisonvlcvsfdb1.th.jpg

Edited by creamyhorror

"The bed's comfy, we're alone... let's get it on." ;) Sheryl's words of course, not alto's. :p

seriously, too bad michael didn't show up even just a few seconds later - that long look between them would have definitely led to someone saying something.

Luca can spot a fold generator using his plane's sensors, but I don't know that there's actually any indication that he knows anything about the quartz crystals themselves. He's seen Sheryl up close plenty of times at school, and hasn't made the connection. Whereas Alto recognizes the earring for what it is the very first time that he sees Sheryl after learning about the quartz.

i assumed Luca knew about the crystals since he was aware of the fold technology his family's company developed. also that fact that he was LAI's liason within SMS. but on the other hand, luca could very well know only about the finished product, without knowing the details of how it works.

Edited by dreamweaver13

Nice super pedo ranka in her overalls as much as I love macross things like that just push the whole lolita thing in anime to far. *curses pedo factor in anime *

I don't get the pedo/lolita vibe from Ranka, especially considering that she's only a year younger than Alto.

Ranka has a small frame, she's not the pedobait people keep making her out to be. Everyone calling her that is just insecure and quick to relegate characters to those titles.

I call "Shenanaigans": That kid is like 12, and is labeled as 16 or whatever 'cause they know us Yanks have rules about that sort'a crap. :angry:

I call "Shenanaigans": That kid is like 12, and is labeled as 16 or whatever 'cause they know us Yanks have rules about that sort'a crap. :angry:

Same as my opinion. Current anime trends say "moe" is in (whatever it is). So to fit in with the trend, they designed a character to look as young as possible, act and look young as possible, and then tell the people, "She's 16 alright! 16! Since we say she's 16, that's official!"