Macross Frontier Episode 16 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 16  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 16 Rating

• Positive (Decepti...whoops wrong show...RANKA!!!! ATTACK!!!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (Sheryl sneaks out of the hospital...I wanna sneak out of this show)

Caught something today...

Remember that scene at the beginning with Alto towing a string of Vajra corpses behind him?

Well, I just picked up that the whole thing was sorta an oblique commentary on Japanese whaling practices.

If you're not familiar with this, Japan has a practice of having "research" fleets that go around harvesting "specimens" (in very large numbers) of various kinds of whales (mainly minke, I think). Of course, they end up with a lot of extra meat...

(Incidentally, it apparently tastes disgusting; they need special government programs just to get people to eat it, raising the question about the whole point in the first place. But that's getting political.)

Anyway, what's Alto doing? As the bridge crew comments, harvesting a bunch of Vajra, perhaps for research. And the joke is that they're actually doing it for food. :)

Kinda hard to catch if you're not familiar with Japan's whaling controversy. I wonder if this has any broader meaning, though. Vajra as the new space whales? Kawamori just making an obscure environmental statement?

Edited by DeeBot

Caught something today...

Remember that scene at the beginning with Alto towing a string of Vajra corpses behind him?

Well, I just picked up that the whole thing was sorta an oblique commentary on Japanese whaling practices.

If you're not familiar with this, Japan has a practice of having "research" fleets that go around harvesting "specimens" (in very large numbers) of various kinds of whales (mainly minke, I think). Of course, they end up with a lot of extra meat...

(Incidentally, it apparently tastes disgusting; they need special government programs just to get people to eat it, raising the question about the whole point in the first place. But that's getting political.)

Anyway, what's Alto doing? As the bridge crew comments, harvesting a bunch of Vajra, perhaps for research. And the joke is that they're actually doing it for food. :)

Kinda hard to catch if you're not familiar with Japan's whaling controversy. I wonder if this has any broader meaning, though. Vajra as the new space whales? Kawamori just making an obscure environmental statement?

I don't see the connection. And i'm not sure if you're accurate with the whaling controversy....because Japan fish the whales mainly for meat. Yes. They love their whale meat (taste horrible? probably) and treat it as a rare delicacy. The whole "research" thing is just a front to the international community. And it hard to draw any connection since the Frontier fleet harvested vajra carcasses, not actually go hunting them.

And as for what Alto's doing, they were harvesting vajra carcasses which was later revealed in ep 23, were used to create the new MDE ammunition and missiles.

The whole "Galactic Whale" thing was done in Macross 7 Dynamite. Macross F's Vajra is an entirely different theme. (Private Military Forces, attacking a foreign culture that is only reacting to aggression. Good guys forced into action by a third power and a political power grab as a result. Sound like the SDF's mission to Iraq and subsequent fallout back home, anyone?)

Edited by sketchley

I don't see the connection. And i'm not sure if you're accurate with the whaling controversy....because Japan fish the whales mainly for meat. Yes. They love their whale meat (taste horrible? probably) and treat it as a rare delicacy. The whole "research" thing is just a front to the international community. And it hard to draw any connection since the Frontier fleet harvested vajra carcasses, not actually go hunting them.

That was exactly my point. In Japan, they say they're doing whaling for research and they're actually doing it for food. In Frontier, they're doing it for research, and the joke is that maybe they're really doing it for food. The joke is in the reversal.

As for how much the Japanese actually like their whale meat:

"Defiant Japan to Promote Eating Whale Meat" (1993)

"Whaling: A Japanese Obsession With American Roots" (2007)

Apparently, it's more something the older generation grew accustomed to, but isn't very popular with younger folks.

Edited by DeeBot

I was going to praise Sheryl.

I was going to sing the praises of Sheryl.

I was going to write a huge review in which I would point out how wonderful Sheryl is, and how being mature and adult has its' benefits and how it's Sheryl's big advantage over Ranka.

But then it turned out Sheryl hadn't changed like I hoped.

When she appeared on the bridge of the Macross Quarter; solemn and determined, I THOUGHT she would say:

"I am here because having been bed ridden for some time, with no plausible medical explanation, and seeing that my once caring Manager has become duplicious and inauthentic, and seeing that no one is able to explain my condition but everyone seems intent on keeping me locked up, I put two and two together and fear that Ranka is being used in some evil plot - I am here to make sure nothing goes wrong. I might be going overboard, I might be paranoid - but - I have a bad feeling about all this...I know this girl - she sings from the heart - except now; she doesn't. Her heart is not in this - she feels it too - but she is too young and naive to displease her elders. I have no such illusions - please Kanjo - let me stay on the bridge in case something goes wrong - let me observe; let me have a voice in all of this."

But then Sheryl ACTUALLY SPOKE.

"Pride."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So she's there for the most childish reason imaginable! Because someone ELSE is getting the spotlight...

So - maybe Sheryl's competitiveness will end up saving them - but more likely it will end up serving the Evil Ones... since apparently NO BODY is capable of thinking outside of the box here...

I felt sorry for Brera Stern. 'Classified' - your life is classified dude. Break free!

Also - Ranka must have had a pang of compassion for the Vajra - and come on - it's not like Minmei and CERTAINLY not like Bassara to sing/distract/kill....

Well - at least not like Bassara...Minmei 50/50 ....

In any event - the tone is far darker and more sinister and there is a feeling everyone has that something is wrong.

Ozma senses it in his confrontation with Leon..

And clearly the President is a typical doofus. "Yeah! Now we can win this thing!" - and there is his seal of approval... I had hopes for him when I saw him ignoring the "crisis" and smoking a cigar - it would be nice if he ACTUALLY took charge...

But while the protagonists are busy being careful, the evil ones are scheming...

I must praise the voice acting though - even though I don't know Japanese - they clearly had the girl who does Ranka sing with a note of "I really don't want to be doing this" - a very very very nice touch.

Oh well - I'll praise Sheryl anyways:

Good for her for getting out of that hospital and going to Alto. She at least knows who she can trust.

In any event, this episode might as well be called:

"Hi - we're from the government and we're here to help" ...

With all that usually comes with this statement...

Pete

Were you using a metaphor or is it a case of bad subs? Wilder asked if the word that described Sheryl's request was "kyoumi" (interest), to which Sheryl replied it was "iji" (obstinacy/disposition/spirit/willpower. Basically, something that's stronger than interest).

FV

Thank you for pointing this out. The Lunar Subs (which I watch) just had it as "pride."

But now it makes a bit more sense - and indeed - her facial expression and general demeanor demonstrated iji and not mere pride/jealousy/vanity... so now it makes more sense...

Pete

Thank you for pointing this out. The Lunar Subs (which I watch) just had it as "pride."

But now it makes a bit more sense - and indeed - her facial expression and general demeanor demonstrated iji and not mere pride/jealousy/vanity... so now it makes more sense...

Pete

Keep in mind that Lunar did give as the "Remation Eater." :rolleyes: Thus, I'm a bit apprehensive at times with their subs of MF. I've actually downloaded episode 15 to 23, but I have never watched them. I watched gg's subs, instead.

Anyways, I think since Lunar's the only one out of with *.avi's we can be really choosers. :lol: