How long did it take you to build up a big collection?

transfan52

Hello guys ive been lurking around the macross forums and have seen alot of you guys collections and they look huge and very costly! I was just wondering How long it took on average for most of you guys to get those big collections to what they are today.

I started in 96 or 97. The first toys or models I bought were bootlegs of the Bandai Mac 7 valks and the red white blue Joons vf-1J. I then bought the entire Battroid set of the Arii 15th anniversary toys/models and the rest is history. Being single, modest with my other expenses and living in an Apartment has allowed to me to amass a rather sizeable toy collection. Not to mention having the same cpu for 10 yrs as well.

Yup collecting since 1984, I guess I have a big collection, I dont have any duplicates like some do but I have 1 each of most.

Its not about who has the most or the biggest collection. Just get what makes you happy as you can afford it. B))

Started collecting back in 2001: I bought 2 Bandai 1/55 Macross chunky monkey reissues and was pretty happy, because I never owned a valkyrie as a kid. Afterwards, I acquired a complete set of the 8 inch Exo-Squad reissues of the destroids from eBay, and some of the Crapnami Masterpiece & super poseable figures.

Then 2 1/2 years ago, my "addiction" started when I bought my first Yamato 1/48 perfect transformation valkyrie. Expensive as hell, but the toy was just so damned impressive. I now own 8 of 'em ....

Along the way, I got back into Transformers as well. Luckily, I bought some vintage G1 toys BEFORE the movie hype last summer.

Edited by Vermillion21

After getting my son some Transformers for Christmas last year I started searching for a G1 Jetfire because he was my favorite as a kid. My search lead me to some "Robotech" toys I remembered as a kid. I got my first Yamato Valk in January 08 and haven't looked back since...still might cop the G1 Jetfire some day, but for now my concentration is on Macross.

B))

OO

gallery_7126_36_674018.jpg

I don't have much but I've been "collecting" since the 80s. Not a lot of stuff survived my childhood but I still have a G1 Jetfire in pretty good condition. More specifically I jumped on the Yamato Bandwagon during the old 1/72 line with the VF-11B first. Toy technology has definitely improved over the years even if arguably their marketing hasn't.

Got my first stuff in 1984 Although I knew it as Robotech at first until I worked out that Macross was robotech and the Japanese made better cartoons than the U.S. then in 97-98 I revisited it for a bit when I got my Jetfire out of storage and a few surviving Macross model kits out too. then in 99 I got DYRL on DVDCD and then the internet helped at work filling the dark boring night shifts (thanks IBM) with Macross goodies. Next the fire was fully re-ignighted when I got Plus from America.

Now several years on .... I just dont buy everything as I dont have the room anymore, I just get the things I cant do with out :)

LOL after seeing all those big collections I was feeling kind of envious, I only started collecting macross stuff last year to tell you the truth and I kinda regret not getting into it sooner, I first started collecting everyting else waay back around 8 years ago in 2000.

First starting with gundam models, then fix line, then vintage transformers. I have a good variety of different things I like and I only stop collecting once I get tired of a current line so I never really complete anything I just like to make sure I have alot of good peices from a particular line like 10 or 12 of em then I stop. I dont think ill ever stop collecting though its just one of those ongoing hobbies that ill never grow out of.

I was hooked when I got a "jetfire" from my parents. I really wanted actual Macross toys but we weren't well off enough for my parents to buy me 50-80 dollar toys on a whim. I didn't really start collecting until 1999 or so when I got a yammie 1/72 yf-19.

I started collecting last year with Yamato's VF-0S and proceeded to get sucked into the high-cost, yet very cool, addiction that is valkoholism. I have around a half dozen toys so far. I wish I could have started collecting a year earlier as a lot of boxsets are now difficult to find (i.e., YF-19 with booster/fastpack, VF-1J Stealth with super/strike parts, urban armor parts). Any suggestions where I can find these?

Edited by funkymonkeyjavajunky

I started collecting last year with Yamato's VF-0S and proceeded to get sucked into the high-cost, yet very cool, addiction that is valkoholism. I have around a half dozen toys so far. I wish I could have started collecting a year earlier as a lot of boxsets are now difficult to find (i.e., YF-19 with booster/fastpack, VF-1J Stealth with super/strike parts, urban armor parts). Any suggestions where I can find these?

If I am not mistaken a Stealth Set is for sale in the For Sale section.

I started collecting in the 1980s and sold all my toys and comics in 2004(?) including macross, robotech, starwars, everything. Quite a collection at very very very low prices. Regret? Yes!

Then I began collecting again in December 2006(?) starting with only Macross stuff and then expanding from there. Since then I have been collecting regularly and have spent a small fortune. However not a "bad" as some of you guys!

Obviously, the more money you have to spend the quicker you can build up a larger collection.

It all started with Robotech. Then I saw Jetfire at the store and I was like "uh.... that's Robotech"... my mom buys me it for my birthday day for like $35. I would run around the house with that thing (with my head directly in back of it, holding it to my face)... those were the days. That was my favorite toy. Never owned any of the official Japanese stuff.

Never again I got anything Macross (unless Convertors and Matchbox action figures count)...

Jump ahead 20 years (since the stuff either didn't exist, or I couldn't afford it).... I, too, picked up a 1/60 VF-1A Hikaru (with the low budget detachable legs)... I was in awe, then the 1/48's came out, and I fell in love.

Now all I want are 1/48's and nothing else (at least in the macross category). Not sure If I'm doing the Chunky Monkey re-release thing. I bought a bunch of those from Valkyrie-Exchange.com a few years ago, ended up selling them all to some guy in Manila.

BTW, my collection is pretty low budget. Just a few 1/48's, some stuff here and there and some Rick Hunter dolls which look like El Debarge. Nothing like the awesome collections the guys have in here. Mainly because it's expensive.

I would post some some pictures, but my brother stole my digital camera and took it to the Philipines.

well I started out with baseball cards back in 88, then it jumped to comic books in 90. At this point i was cleaning out my old toy bins and started putting all my transformers back together and decided to look up some TF on ebay. At the same time I looked up macross toys, but they were waaaay too expensive back then. Like the strike which goes for about 200 minty fresh nowadays, went for about 800+ back then. So I just stuck with buying G1 TF. This is a picture of my TF collection in 96:

Transformers.jpg

Now I have all the original G1 TF. Along the way I picked up some macross stuff here and there. I actually pieced together a Strike Valkyrie within a whole year! Started off with the valk with leg armor, then went to the rest of the armor, then the little minmay figure, then the heatshield, then I won an auction for just the box, styrofoam and sticker sheet, then someone just happened to have the file card and instructions. Man it was a long process but I did it! then I ended up buying 4 other strike valks in box all at once from a member here. So now I have a bunch of vintage macross toys and the new stuff. ^_^

I always wondered when I would see your collection BoBe. It's nice....I like it.

My answer....I don't have much of a collection anymore. I started collection TF's in late 2006 then I sold EVERYTHING started collection Macross and have moved my way into Mospeada. I have sold alot since I was not sure what I really wanted. As soon as I get a new/better job I will start again and it will be marvelous I tell you. I have a pretty good VF-1S Strike Hikaru collection going on. Once I receive my 1/48 I will get it all set up and snap a pic or 40. BTW.....this is a good topic I feel.

:ph34r:

I always wondered when I would see your collection BoBe. It's nice....I like it.

My answer....I don't have much of a collection anymore. I started collection TF's in late 2006 then I sold EVERYTHING started collection Macross and have moved my way into Mospeada. I have sold alot since I was not sure what I really wanted. As soon as I get a new/better job I will start again and it will be marvelous I tell you. I have a pretty good VF-1S Strike Hikaru collection going on. Once I receive my 1/48 I will get it all set up and snap a pic or 40. BTW.....this is a good topic I feel.

:ph34r:

well you should come on by AP to check out my collection. Here's the link, so just go through the pages. There's not much because everything is all in boxes and bags. ^_^

Pix of my put away collection

Now I have all the original G1 TF. Along the way I picked up some macross stuff here and there. I actually pieced together a Strike Valkyrie within a whole year! Started off with the valk with leg armor, then went to the rest of the armor, then the little minmay figure, then the heatshield, then I won an auction for just the box, styrofoam and sticker sheet, then someone just happened to have the file card and instructions. Man it was a long process but I did it! then I ended up buying 4 other strike valks in box all at once from a member here. So now I have a bunch of vintage macross toys and the new stuff. ^_^

That's a wonderful story. To me, 50% of the joy in this hobby is in the thrill of the hunt. It is the hunt that makes the moment of finally completing what you're looking for - holding the stuff in your hands that makes it even more priceless. I suppose part of the reason many of us are collecting actively is because of it.