The Second-to-Last Starfighter?!

bsu legato

http://www.cinemablend.com/new.php?id=7990

Yesterday here we were the first place anywhere to bring you the exciting news that a sequel to the 1984 sci-fi classic The Last Starfighter is in the works from George Paige and Associates, Relativity Media, and Universal Pictures. Now we have a few more details on classic’s return to the silver screen.

First, it’s all but confirmed that this thing is really happening. In addition to the information our scooper gave us last night, George Paige and Associates now has the movie listed as one of their credits on their official site, along with a few other interesting projects, like a Jerry Stiller Janeane Garafalo team-up called The Independent. They also list Relativity, Universal, and Warner Brothers as being involved in the project. One of the reasons so many studios are involved may have something to do with rights issues. The original movie was owned by Lorimar, which has since cease to exist. When Lorimar died, the rights to its projects were sold to a variety of different companies, leaving a lot of different people holding the bag.

Having so many different companies involved may not be a bad thing though, especially in light of a report which popped up online from Variety tonight which says that Relativity and Universal have just signed a big four-year deal to co-finance four billion dollars worth of new films together. Could one of those movies be The Last Starfighter? The timing of their deal makes it a tantalizing notion.

The one cause for concern here is George Paige and Associates, which doesn’t exactly have a track record of big-budget, quality films. But with this deal between Relativity Media and Universal, maybe The Last Starfighter will get the kind of decent, big-budget release it deserves. In fact we’ve already heard from some sources that this will in fact be a theatrical release, one with a mid-range budget at least. This won’t be a film thrown on the theatrical scrapheap.

So for now a lot of this is still rumor, but it does seem pretty certain that in whatever form it finally takes, a sequel to The Last Starfighter actually will happen, and I for one am starting to feel a little better about the way this particular burgeoning franchise may be treated.

Ok, so...is there really a demand for this? Are there legions of fans on laststarfighterfan.org (or dare I suggest...Starfighter World?) clamouring for a sequel? I mean...it was an amusing enough film in its day, but one that's certainly aged poorly in ways that don't only include its special effects.

If this means they DO NOT redesign the gunstar and we can finally get some decent toys of it... I'm all for it.

But you know that isn't going to happen.

They will heavily redesign it into some Flight of the Navigator looking soap turd then give the toy license to Jakks Pacific or something so we end up with musclebound Alex and Pole Stripper Maggie and a mis proportioned gunstar with "light and sound action". :ph34r:

I had an idea for a possible sequel to this years ago, where it was Alex rebuilding the starfighter legions. If it is something like that where Alex Rogan is now something like the general above the whole starfighter legion and they are going up against Kodan Armada in some massive ball busting battle, I am all for it.

I'd actually like to see Lance Guest and Catherine Mary Steward reprise their roles if this is going to be a sequel. Lord knows they don't have anything else going on. :p

You know that's not a bad idea.

It could either be where its a whole force of gunstars against baddies, or there's some terrible attack and all of the starfighters and gunstars are wiped out... again. Then we see a new gunstar that's basically a grey 2008 Ford Mustang.

I'd be curious about a sequel. Not so much a remake, though. Sadly, this will probably be another example of our childhoods being raped again.

Centauri? Skip a sequel to the Last Starfighter? And miss all the excitement? Ha-ha, no. I was merely dormant while my body repaired itself. Ah well, enough with the details. Suffice it to say, you're on Rylos, my boy. Stop thinking human. That's Lesson Number One. Lesson Number Two...You've got a good thing going here. Keep smiling, don't blow it. Lesson Number Three: Always trust Centauri...

I always read that the Last Starfighter hasn't aged well, but damn, it still has some great and memorable quotes. It's a shame that the HD DVD was shovelware, because it really deserves a hi-def transfer so those at-the-time cutting edge CGI fx don't look so grainy.

For those of you unaware, there's a freeware fan made PC version of the videogame seen in the movie here! Same graphics and voices from the movie, and definitely a little bit of nostalgiac fun.

And did Galoka think that the Ulus were too ugly to save?

It's a shame that the HD DVD was shovelware, because it really deserves a hi-def transfer so those at-the-time cutting edge CGI fx don't look so grainy.

At least it was a fresh transfer, right? They didn't just upsample the old DVD transfer?

But yeah... I was rather disappointed in the DVD.

Go to all the effort to create a 6-channel soundtrack out of the stereo, and totally ignore the low film quality. It needed a video remaster more than a surround soundtrack.

I guess it's the same on HD, just higher-res.

I live my life a quarter parsec at a time.

"Ask any Starfighter, any real Starfighter. It don't matter if it's by an inch or a light year. Winning's winning."

"Nice ride. What's the retail value?"

"More than you can afford, pal. Gunstar."

"Smoke him."

"The gray Gunstar's yours."

"What do you mean?"

"You're representing me now. What you think - I'm gonna let you roll in a Hyundai?"

"Nice ride."

"I won it from our friend Centauri a few light years ago."

"I didn't know he was into Gunstars."

"He was when he was rollin' with me."

"You know, this ain't no 10-parsec race."

"I've got nothing but time."

I just hope they don't go overboard with "teh CGI" on the Gunstar. That would totally ruin the spirit of the first movie...you know, with the models and all.

Actually, I think they used CGI for the special effects in this movie and no models, especially for all the space battle scenes.

I'm with Bsu Legato...is there a clamor for this?

Granted I only saw the movie once, as a kid, when my Mom took me to a double feature of The Last Starfighter and Footloose, merely to escape the summer heat, and I remember next to nothing about either movie.

...Now that I think about it, that experience is one of the most quintessentially '80s thing in my memory. Double feature...Footloose...the Last Starfighter...if Devo had shown up randomly with Max Headroom, it would have been PERFECT...

...Now that I think about it, that experience is one of the most quintessentially '80s thing in my memory. Double feature...Footloose...the Last Starfighter...if Devo had shown up randomly with Max Headroom, it would have been PERFECT...

You know what's sad? I just started dating a girl in her very early 20s and she would have no idea about any of those things. So sad...

I don't know if there really is clamor for this but it has all the right stuff in it to still be a fun movie... but it'll probably just get raped instead.

You know what's sad? I just started dating a girl in her very early 20s and she would have no idea about any of those things. So sad...

I don't know if there really is clamor for this but it has all the right stuff in it to still be a fun movie... but it'll probably just get raped instead.

Funnily enough, one of the biggest Devo fans I know is a 22-year-old woman...but she's a fan of A LOT of '80s music.

And yeah...it could be fun, but really, do we need YET ANOTHER sequel or remake??? (Of course, I'm completely stoked about Macross F...so yeah, I'm a big hypocrite.)

Funnily enough, one of the biggest Devo fans I know is a 22-year-old woman...but she's a fan of A LOT of '80s music.

And yeah...it could be fun, but really, do we need YET ANOTHER sequel or remake??? (Of course, I'm completely stoked about Macross F...so yeah, I'm a big hypocrite.)

Everybody needs to experience the Death Blossom. In fact the sequel shall be called LSF:Death Blossom 2 Shoot Harder.

Everybody needs to experience the Death Blossom. In fact the sequel shall be called LSF:Death Blossom 2 Shoot Harder.

I would have thought that by now, we would all agree the sequel would be called: LSF: 2 Death 2 Blossom.

It occurs to me that this would be the perfect time to introduce a movie where a video gamer saves the Universe. I can even think of a possible Earth-bound hazard, the anti-video games lawyer [1].

[1] "Any resemblance to actual lawyers, living or dead and answering to the name of Jack, is purely intentional." :)

Who's Galoka?

Centauri: Alex! Alex! You're walking away from history! History, Alex! Did Chris Columbus stay home? Nooooo. What if the Wright Brothers thought that only birds should fly? And did Galoka think that the Ulus were too ugly to save?

Alex Rogan: Who's Galoka?

Centauri: Never mind.

Alex Rogan: Listen, Centauri. I'm not any of those guys, I'm a kid from a trailer park.

Centauri: If that's what you think, then that's all you'll ever be!