Yamato GN-U Non-transforming Macross Action Figures

Graham

They ARE great. I love these toys. But I'm a little confused by those pictures we saw of the "skeleton".

The toys have NO internal skeleton that can be exposed by removing the "shell". The joints are integrated itno the battroid pieces.

Is that skeleton going to be introduced in later models?

So I finally got my hands on the GN-U Macross toys and man they are great. Action Models they are officially called but man they rock, 100 times better than the Revoltech Valks (not counting the new Revoltech YF-19/21 as I yet to pay I mean test them).

Thanks for the pics, but could you go into detail about what makes them great? From the pictures shown, the sculpt is average and posability appears to be slightly above average.

The 21 is the second best of the bunch for me. It has really nice articulation and is the best candidate for customizers wanting to make a non-perfect transforming 21.

The head has some nice articulation and the limbs have more than enough lee-way for some great poses. The plastic on these things feels really nice. They don't feel cheap (except maaaybe the 11).

Thing I like about these kits is that I can leave my 1/60s in fighter and have these next to them to show off the battroid for fraction of the cost of buying two.

Indeed. The scale actually looks quite good.

I know the Mac+ Revies could not be as large as the GNUs, but I have been thinking that the VF-1s were purposely made so small so as the rest of the Mac Revies would at the very least be larger than them. Take the Regults. They are not perfectly to scale, but at least not too far off, and remain larger. If the VF-1s were made larger (i.e., the size of most other Revies) than the lack of scale would have even been more apparent and turned off some people.

Another thing about these is that the plastic is really good quality and the finish looks really nice.

I'm really loving the YF-19 and VF-11B. Still think the 21 proportions are a little off though.

Yamato really should have included a Revoltech type display stand to take advantage of the toy's articulation.

Graham

I know the Mac+ Revies could not be as large as the GNUs, but I have been thinking that the VF-1s were purposely made so small so as the rest of the Mac Revies would at the very least be larger than them. Take the Regults. They are not perfectly to scale, but at least not too far off, and remain larger. If the VF-1s were made larger (i.e., the size of most other Revies) than the lack of scale would have even been more apparent and turned off some people.

I agree. I think Kaiyodo was really planning ahead with the Macross line. The scale between the VF-1 and the Reguld is near perfect and it's likely the YF-19 and YF-21 will also be much larger than the VF-1.

Went toy hunting with another HK MW member today and saw these and the Revoltechs.

It appears to be slightly larger than the Revvies; even the VF-11B looks bigger then the Revvie VF-1.

Finish is WAY BETTER than Revvies

ABS rocks PVC hard! You can just tell in the sculpts. Looks way more solid and defined.

Clean paint jobs

Crisp tampo printing

Good solid colors

Sculpt looks great - VF-11B never looked better! Much better than the old Yamato 1/72 in Battroid! My favorite in this scale next to the Revvie Regult.

Cheap compared to 1/72 and larger size toys - ~ the same price as the smaller revvies here 15-20 USD each or a VF-1 Hasegawa kit.

Cons:

Small - Close to a 1/144 scale model ~ 4-5"?

Nontransforming

Not enough panel lines compared to larger brothers but the quality is way up there.

Don't know about articulation since I just examined the boxed contents next to all the Revvies.

Personal opinions:

I think they look great next to Revvies and CMs Macross figure set but these things get expensive if you have "collect them all and custom variant syndrome".

Still on the fence on these for my personal collection as I rather put my money towards 1/72 or larger scale detailed toys / model kits. Bigger is better if you can afford it and have space for it.

Edited by Neova

I really want to like them. I'm pleased with the non usage of PVC.

But...

Something about them that makes them appear a bit too static and stiff in poses. :(

Yeah, they appear to be better in the paint jobs compared to the Vf-1 Revos, but the Regult Revo is better over both in the paint IMO.

I'll probably go for one of this 'mini Yamys' if the Zero and Frontier lines are made?

And yes, I concur, no more VF-1's.

So this is wave 1? Any word on whats wave 2?

I really wish japanese Toy Companies would annouce the whole year's release line-up like the Western companies.

Got one of each from HLJ.

There was some over paint on the YF-21 canopy.

Surprised, the wings on the VF-11 fold out wish they did on the 19 and 11.

They are held together by friction. I took apart the chest and one leg of the VF-11 and disassembled the YF-21. Parts of the internal skeleton are used but it is not complete as shown in the magazine post before.

Really hard plastic and should be easy to customize and modify.

That YF-19 looks obese, always liked the YF-19's skinny legs, but in this one... phew. <_<

Can't imagine why Yamato authorize this shape. The internal skeleton is not an excuse.

Still, in package looks great.

They "authorized" it because they are following the bulbous appearance of the 19 in the original line-art. If you mean the skinny legs of the 1/60 19, THAT'S technically inaccurate.

And again, what was with that complete skeleton that we saw in the hobby mags? Is that only featured in some figures and not he Mac Plus ones?

Edited by Alex

I really want to like them. I'm pleased with the non usage of PVC.

But...

Something about them that makes them appear a bit too static and stiff in poses. :(

Yeah, they appear to be better in the paint jobs compared to the Vf-1 Revos, but the Regult Revo is better over both in the paint IMO.

I'll probably go for one of this 'mini Yamys' if the Zero and Frontier lines are made?

And yes, I concur, no more VF-1's.

So this is wave 1? Any word on whats wave 2?

I really wish japanese Toy Companies would annouce the whole year's release line-up like the Western companies.

Well, wave 2 will feature a few of the Super robots, Dancougar also I think. Has there been ANYTHING said in regards to this line featuring any more Mac figures?

Best gallery I've seen so far of the YF-19.

http://www.geocities.jp/hetare_d_max/gallery-GNU_YF-19.html

Yamato really should have included a stand, the figure really shines that way.

Well that is just bizzare! All the pictures that I had seen of the GNU YF-19 did not appeal to me but that gallery makes it look great! I am seriously considering cancelling my revoltech YF-19 and getting the GNU instead. Crap!

Well that is just bizzare! All the pictures that I had seen of the GNU YF-19 did not appeal to me but that gallery makes it look great! I am seriously considering cancelling my revoltech YF-19 and getting the GNU instead. Crap!

They really are gorgeous in the flesh/plastic. Hmmmmm. Me thinks these will be receiving some spare Revoltech joints in the near future.

Edited by Alex

The GNUs are looking better and better. A bit more detail and I would have gotten em all.

I'm really hoping Yamato will release other valks for this line, and not just Mac+ or the generic VF-1. Needs more Mac Zero, Frontier, VF-3000, VF-4, VF-5000, etc. :p (Don't forget enemy mecha...)

The GNUs are looking better and better. A bit more detail and I would have gotten em all.

I'm really hoping Yamato will release other valks for this line, and not just Mac+ or the generic VF-1. Needs more Mac Zero, Frontier, VF-3000, VF-4, VF-5000, etc. :p (Don't forget enemy mecha...)

I'm sure Graham knows but I see them just doing these three valks and stopping there. There are so many other mecha that they are/will be doing for this line that we will probably see just the 11, 19 and 21.

Please prove me wrong Yamato.

I actually like the chubby thighs on the yf-19. Although if the yf-19 were 'real', you would imagine the legs being slim. (the banpresto type skinny not the toynami 1/100 type skinny)

Yeah. I also prefer the "thigh-heft 19". The 1/60 just looks saddle-sore. Always bugs me to no end.

Release from other Mac anime are planned. Stay tuned.

Graham

I hope he doesn't mean just the VF-1.

I like the VF-1 and Macross Plus VFs but I wished Yamato would release other mecha first before revisiting earlier designs at a different scale.