Yamato GN-U Non-transforming Macross Action Figures

Graham

Seems like some fans in Japan have already started customising their GN-U's, improving the already great articulation, adding display stands, extra weapons and different paint jobs. See the attached pics.

With their ABS parts & easily removable outer armor the GN-U's make a great base for customizing.

I'm really diggging the Max VF-22 custom.

Graham

Looks like the GNU's are a great platform for customizing jobs, but concerning the improved poseability; [boB MODE] Why should we do Yamato's job for them[/boB MODE]

Looks like the GNU's are a great platform for customizing jobs, but concerning the improved poseability; [boB MODE] Why should we do Yamato's job for them[/boB MODE]

That is a name that should not be invoked, not even in joking terms.

Graham

I gave Yamato the following feedback, based on comments in this thread on the Macross Plus GN-U figures: -

• Overall the sculpts are good (better than Revoltech).
  • The VF-11B's gunpod and hands are far too big (out of scale with the robot).
  • The material used is very high quality.
  • Paint application is good.
  • Many complaints about lack of accessories (FAST Packs and a display stand). Revoltech include these at a cheaper price point.
  • Articulation is very good, better than expected. However, without a display stand it is not possible to take full advantage of the articulation.
  • Price point is a little on the high side.
  • Packing design is nice, but the box is still a little oversize.

They replied, that yeah, Japanese consumers have been giving exactly the same feedback.

Graham

I gave Yamato the following feedback, based on comments in this thread on the Macross Plus GN-U figures: -

• Many complaints about lack of accessories (FAST Packs and a display stand). Revoltech include these at a cheaper price point.
  • Articulation is very good, better than expected. However, without a display stand it is not possible to take full advantage of the articulation.

They replied, that yeah, Japanese consumers have been giving exactly the same feedback.

Graham

They MUST have expected this feedback though. When I saw that the samples had no fast-packs I assumed the final production version WOULD have them.

I also assumed a stand would be a no-brainer.

I'm glad that the 11's gun-pod IS over-sized because it means that I can commit hari-kiri with it in protest.

Edited by Alex

For me the biggest problem is the price point. The price has kept me from getting the YF-19 and VF-11 even though I have decided that I do indeed want them. If they were more affordable then I would have all three by now. I am very happy with the YF-21 and I can imagine so many great figures coming out of this line. But if Yamato's continuation of this line for macross depends on sales then unfortunately we may not see more of these because the price is too high meaning sales may not be high enough. I would love to see them do the VF-1D, the VF-0S, The VF-5000, The VF-4, The VF-9, and many more in this GNU series and would love to buy them but at this price they may not make it that far. I hope that they are sucessful and that they do produce more in this line. My new GNU YF-21 is one of my favorite toys right now. It is just so nice!

Graham

I feel like they have a long way to go to be competitive with the Revoltechs. I will admit that I haven't seen all the pics and read through all the feedback but they need to offer a lot more and cost a lot less than they do now. All of those are valid points. Given that revoltechs had already hit the market and they have the licenses to the same valks it seems like a bad move on Yamato's part to enter this market. I wonder if this is a result of Yamato not having competition on their other valks.

Once you have one in your hands you will change your mind. (I feel like I have been possesed to push these beauties for some reason! I am not a spy. Really, I just love them). . .

So just to double post what I posted in the Revoltech thread,

"The feet swivel a lot to get awesome stances. They are actually much more poseable than I had thought looking at pics online. It is also capable of doing some subtle poses. I like how even doing an A stance generic pose you can angle the hips in or out and the hip wings in or out to quite a varying degree to get better looking poses and the joints generally each have 2 X and 2 Y points of articulation if you use it. Maybe people just are not posting great poses yet. Of course I have not posted any poses yet. I will have to wait until I am off of toddler duty so maybe this weekend I can take some shots that will sell these to you. But really Swoosh or ruskiiVFaussie can do some of their kick ass poses and photos with these. Anyway, I am really happy with the GNU and the real thing looks so much better than the pics online, many of which including the ones on yamato's and HLJ's site are not production models IIRC."

Graham

You know, you should really add the following to that list:

- Take better pictures with better poses.

If they want to pry away revoltech customers who are already leaning towards the revy's simply because of series continuity, they have to market these a lot better.

I'm ordering both sets next week and I'm going to pose the hell out of them... we'll see what these can do.

BTW Graham, thanks for the update on your dialogue with yamato. It's good to know feedback is getting where they need to be.

Edited by Nani?!

I bought all 3 GN-U, (thk to Graham's good reviews on the YF-19 & YF-21). I also own the Revoltech versions. Overall, the GN-U is capable of good decent posts which I'm very pleased, (unless u looking for that exaggerated poses of Revoltech). THe Revols is not bad too. However the material quality in GN-U is crisp like & well-made. I actually ok with no fast packs included for GN-U but of course a display stand wud be nice. The VF-11B is nice too, IMO & yes the gun is bit oversized. ANother plus point for GN-U YF-19 & YF-21, they hv the same colours as their bigger 1/60 cousin. My 1/60 YF-19 & YF-21 will stay forever in fighter mode but I still hv my GN-U in battroid to enjoy :lol:

Edited by Javabean

Looks good. I agree with all the recommendations to make it cheaper, more accessories, and to present the super posability of these things more by having them in interesting anime-accurate poses that people will remember from macross plus.

But...I think people are distracted more by the larger PT 1/60 macross plus toys. If these had come out before the 1/60 macross plus toys there would be a stronger temptation to get them. It's like how you have different size classes with transformers toys. I would have skipped deluxe brawl if I could just get leader class brawl straight away. But I can see the appeal for those who have limited space and were already interested in revoltechs but wanted something better sculpted than it without being too big that it hogs shelfspace. Just that the more expensive these are, the less of an impulse purchase they become for some.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I kept asking myself this question....The YF-19 & YF-21 weapons look proportional...but why did Yamato made an oversized gun for VF-11B?? Is it supposed to be correct size? Otherwise VF-11B looks great.

Edited by Javabean

This is all good, now all we need is a second run with FP's and i'll join yamato's party.

Graham

Lack of a dedicated stand made the last photo more difficult than it should have been... that is why the next kicking the YF-21 has the YF-19 free standing.

On technical note: how do people post photos so that they are visible without having to log in?

post-3784-1214083761_thumb.jpg

Great poses Fly4Victory! Thats what I am talking about. With that kind of poseability and gorgeous sculpt I think that GNU is superior to the Revoltechs YF valks. I do love the revoltech VF-1 and the Regult and patlabor that I have, they are great so I am not trying to say that Revoltechs are bad. I am saying that I like the Yamato GNU YF-19 and YF-21 better than the Revoltech versions.

Hehehe, a nice layout indeed :)

It does show quite a few limitations of the GNU articulation, but I think MoP's links in the Revy thread were quite revealing as well. Nonetheless, I think my evaluation of the GNU's as having similar articulation to the Gundam Master Grade models is spot on (2003-era Master Grades, apparently not the newest ones). Ultimately, I'm gonna get one GNU for myself just to make the final comparison.

Just wish they were cheaper. That's the killer for me. the $16-18 price-point of the Revvies are what do it for me. I just can't pay that much for them. But that is also considering that I already have other options available: I own the 1/60s of both, so I have transforming, high-end versions, and I have (in the mail) two, sub-$20 version of them both with tons of accessories. If I didn't have either of those, I suppose these would be must buys for me (I am a HUGE Mac+ fan). But as it stands now, these are somewhere in middle-ground limbo.

Funny looking front/thrust kicks though. Wish my Revy's would arrive... dammit

Yeah, The 19 kicking the 21 is the worst. I had over looked it when I did the others and had to go back to do it after I thought I was done.

Hope your Revy's show up quickly so you can join in the fun.

All 3 of mine showed up today from HLJ. I do like them. IMO they are more line-art accurate then the Kaiyados. The Revoltechs look to "super-hero" like for my taste.

All and all they are pretty cool. But the price isn't justified. I'm not surprised though, that's pretty much how Yamato rolls. Hopefully if they make more they will be a little less $$.

I DO cry False advertising because a few mags showed the full skeleton with the GNU Valks. I'm sure many people bought them hoping for MG Gundam style internal frames.

There's what, 3 types of GNU? Which has the full skeleton; last two or only the last?

There's what, 3 types of GNU? Which has the full skeleton; last two or only the last?

None of the Macross GNU have the full skeleton, only partial appendages. They are still very easy to disassemble.

I save my crying for a rotating upper leg joint and opening wings on the YF-19 and YF-21. The wings on the VF-11 open. :lol:

Also the both wings on the YF-19 have the Macross kite. :unsure:

Disassembly without tools.

You can see the skeleton is one section of the forearm and the upper leg.

The head is glued together and there was glue on one pin in the forearm, everything else is snap-tight.

Discovered there is a 360 joint in the leg just under the ball socket for the hip but the engine intake panel restricts all movement and there is a square pin that keeps the internal skeleton from rotating.

Even if the cover was cut the proximity of the joint to the hip ball would not allow increased movement.

post-3784-1215010310_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1215010321_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1215010333_thumb.jpg

post-3784-1215010345_thumb.jpg

The VF-11 has a similar leg construction to the YF-11 except the engine intake cowling is three pieces.

Disassemble and remove the lip on the lower two exterior pieces and the joint rotates.

I used a Drumel and then cleaned up with a X-acto knife but the plastic is so soft that careful use of the knife will due.

post-3784-1215013997_thumb.jpg