Yamato GN-U Non-transforming Macross Action Figures

Graham

I'd love to see some destroids in the GNU Dou line. Hell, all of them. It'd be a great way to get a MkII Monster that's both affordable and light enough to hold more than just a few poses without toppling.

Yeah, it sucks that they have to start the line off with figures that are still fairly new in people's minds. Makes you wonder if they'll ever get to the classic mecha. Would be nice to see some Macross Zero figures in this line. Or Macross 7, too. I mean they already have the Macross Plus figures, which some of the Macross 7 mecha are based off of. It's not like they'd have to start from scratch to make Max/Miria's VF-22's, Blazer Valkyrie, Fire Valkyrie, and the Mac 7 VF-11.

Actually saw these in a comic book store $50 each. Maybe about $10 more you would pay with shipping.

I gotta say I don't how these things are they are overpriced. I wouldn't pay more than $20 each. I had no idea how dinky they are. They are the size of action figures but cost 5 to 10 times more. Plus they don't transform.

Definitely OVER-Priced. I love the GN-U line. I have the YF-21 and The YF-19 and they are beautiful but I did not spring for the VF-11 because I just could not pay. I am having to really cut back on this hobby. Just cancelled my DX VF-25 preorder at HLJ. And cancelled my 1/60 v.2 Hikaru, which I really do want. This hobby is expensive.

• 1 month later...
Actually saw these in a comic book store $50 each. Maybe about $10 more you would pay with shipping.

I gotta say I don't how these things are they are overpriced. I wouldn't pay more than $20 each. I had no idea how dinky they are. They are the size of action figures but cost 5 to 10 times more. Plus they don't transform.

I got mine retail for 35 bucks (Canadian) which I think is still a high price to pay for a small non-transforming figure, but compared to the revoltech versions (which are 30 ea) the increase in paint quality and proportional accuracy is well worth it. Unless you're going to start calling Revoltech overpriced too, I can't really say the same for the GNU line. I did get a revoltech anyway though; having 2 minute hand-candy is nice (but you really dont need more than one), and the GNUs stay mostly looks only. Besides, they're bigger than most stuff under the 1/60 scales, the revoltechs included. At the hand-held sizes, I dont think you can find completed figures of that caliber of detail, transforming or not.

I would have appreciated a fighter version, but they'd need to take the price down 10-15 bucks to make it worthwhile.

Edited by Cent

I gave up on the revoltech line a while ago, the few that I own are fragile, unstable pieces of crap. By contrast, the Yamato GNU Mac+ valks are really sturdy, stable and fun. So I think Yamato comes out of this looking good, as they usually do when they stay away from transformation ;)

I say revoltech blew yamato's game on this macross pkus ine by offering a more cheaper articulate and fun toy to play with...

Its not more than 5-7 dollars cheaper, is a 20% reduction in size, a drop in paint, detail and plastic quality, with heavily exaggerated proportions and liberal design changes. The upsides are that its more durable, has more accessories and is widely posable. Its a toy more than a figure.

$30 for a gummy plastic toy is not a purchase I'd like to make more than once. The marginal gain is dramatically decreases with these things, as once you start having enough to consider it a collection, it cheapens everything else. Its like having a few high-grade models on display, but then buy a dozen cheap toys to place next to them, despite their combined price tag being less than any single high-grade model. Playability or not, those high-grade models (read: expensive) have gone to waste.

I keep my revoltech on my desk, within hands reach. Anywhere but near the display case.

Edited by Cent

I agree about the revoltechs-- they are stuff to play with, not for display. My YF-19 came out of the package with a broken ventral fin, for example. At the same time, the high price of the GNUs probably turn many people off-- the specialty of Macross is in it's transforming fighters, after all, otherwise it'd just be Gundam. For eg, you can get a v2 VF-1 1/60 for the price of 3 GNUs, or any other 1/60 from Mac0 or MacPlus for the price of (slightly over) four.

Revoltech FTW. The Gnus just don't look that much better and in my experience a Revvy costs $20 and a Gnu costs $30 or more. The Revvys are more fun to pose and come with more accessories. I have both but I think the Revvys were the better buy.

Just got my payment request from HLJ for the VFX-2 Vf-11 Thunderbolt today. I actually forgot I ordered this guy. Oops. Ah well, too late now. My Macross Plus VF-11 will have a new pal now, I suppose. A $38 (shipped) pal. :unsure: I really dig these GN-Us, but they are about $10 or so too much for what you get. But when has Macross collecting ever been affordable?

the specialty of Macross is in it's transforming fighters, after all, otherwise it'd just be Gundam.

Yea, the additional quality of a perfect transformer is a huge plus but for the most part, I'm more a fan of planes than mecha (although its still good). I don't plan on getting any more GNUs (or Revols or any of the non-transformers, really) unless they release plane/gerwalk only models of the same caliber... And hopefully a cheaper price (since fewer joints and so forth.)

Considering the only people in the states who get them order them from stores where you're at and the stores where you're at apparently aren't moving any it would seem that these things aren't selling particularly well. I give Yamato kudos for trying to break out into another market but it doesn't seem like these are taking off. They are decent figures though, probably just an example of one too many trips back to the well.

Edited by jenius

Im wondering how's the response for these figures over in states side, in asia here, it never really took off and is literally considered dead right now

If there is a 50% sale at HLJ on the VFX paint scheme then everyone can say "HA HA" to those of us that paid full price.

I liked the idea only if they made em of diecast, like the Douyashas, whats the point if they are plastic, better to just buy the hasegawas.

Which only applies to those that have the skill, time and patience to build Hasegawas.

The rest of us mere mortals (well, me at least), would like a reasonably priced, reasonble size dedicated fighter mode toy.

Not diecast for me please. I've had terrible lucky with the paint chipping off the diecast after a couple of unfortunate drops.

Graham

Which only applies to those that have the skill, time and patience to build Hasegawas.

The rest of us mere mortals (well, me at least), would like a reasonably priced, reasonble size dedicated fighter mode toy.

Not diecast for me please. I've had terrible lucky with the paint chipping off the diecast after a couple of unfortunate drops.

Graham

I still don't like the Idea of a GN-U fighter mode figure but I do agree that a reasonably sized fighter mode toy that you don't have to build your self would be nice.

the problem with a GN-U fighter is that I see it being in the same scale with the same detail as the GN-U batroids. I just think it would be too small and too plain. what would be really nice, would be a 1/72 size fighter with similar level of crispness and detail equal to a hase kit, or at least a yamato transforming figure.

basically a non variable version of Yamato's 1/60 scale stuff, in 1/72nd scale, and cheaper because it doesn't transform.

I'd actually prefer certain valks (like the VF-4) in this manner than in a transforming form.

the problem with a GN-U fighter is that I see it being in the same scale with the same detail as the GN-U batroids. I just think it would be too small and too plain. what would be really nice, would be a 1/72 size fighter with similar level of crispness and detail equal to a hase kit, or at least a yamato transforming figure.

A fighter only or Gerwalk only mode with less articulation than the battroids, but cheaper is great, but I think the size should be smaller. If the size is going to be 1/72 or 1/60, won't it be pretty redundant amongst your transforming 1/60s? And something of that size, but retaining that level of detail is going to inflate the price to $60-70 and an additional 15 for Gerwalks. Poor paint and panel line detail becomes far more noticeable amongst larger figures.

I think its a safer bet to have smaller figures to pair with the current GNU sizes, and keep the costs $20-25 or less.

A fighter only or Gerwalk only mode with less articulation than the battroids, but cheaper is great, but I think the size should be smaller. If the size is going to be 1/72 or 1/60, won't it be pretty redundant amongst your transforming 1/60s? And something of that size, but retaining that level of detail is going to inflate the price to $60-70 and an additional 15 for Gerwalks. Poor paint and panel line detail becomes far more noticeable amongst larger figures.

I think its a safer bet to have smaller figures to pair with the current GNU sizes, and keep the costs $20-25 or less.

I have 1/72 scale diecast fighter planes that are absolutely superb in detail and still cost less than $60. For a high quality high detail diecast, $70 is about the max one would probably pay. Interestingly the best F-14 Tomcat diecast model costs $70 and just about every diecast airplane collector raves about it.

As for plastic, recently a company called Model Rectifier Corp started a line of completed plastic aircraft models. I'm not sure how detailed they are but their A-10 Warthog costs around $40. They're supposedly working on Tomcats and Hornets. Their website here: http://www.modelrec.com/all-brands/easy-model.asp

I think a highly detailed fighter mode only* Valkyrie has some market potential as a "display model" product (ie. not a toy). Scale should be 1/72 to be in line with aircraft models. Going to a smaller scale like 1/100 or 1/144 can be problematic as getting smaller means more difficulty in getting the detail in and thus raising the price.

* Fighter mode only - I believe fighter mode is the most popular mode and the one that would work the best. Gerwalk mode doesn't seem too popular and battroids have been covered by GNUs and Revoltechs

Edited by Vifam7

I have 1/72 scale diecast fighter planes that are absolutely superb in detail and still cost less than $60. For a high quality high detail diecast, $70 is about the max one would probably pay. Interestingly the best F-14 Tomcat diecast model costs $70 and just about every diecast airplane collector raves about it.

It'll be unnecessary to have it diecast, but I would have thought that it would cost more for 1/72 fighters. Maybe I should switch to collecting real planes instead of Macross; it'd be a lot cheaper. XD

With Yamato behind the wheel though, I still wouldn't be surprised at the $70 minimum price tag. =/.