Yamato GN-U Non-transforming Macross Action Figures

Graham

Cross posted from the Macross Revoltech thread.

Picked up the Revoltech YF-19 and YF-21 for HK$129 each today at Tai Yuen Street, near my office.

Attached are some quick comparison photos I just took together with the Yamato GNU.

As you can see, the Yamato GNU are significantly larger.

I've tried to be objective in my comparison, but IMO, after handling both the Revys and GNUs, the Yamato GNUs are superior in the following areas: -

• Accuracy of sculpt = GNU hands down winner. Revoltechs are too stylized IMO and the GNU's are far more faithful to the lineart overall. Although the Revoltech YF-19 has a more accurately sculpted gunpod than the GNU.
  • Quality of material = GNU wins out here again IMO. The high quality ABS used in the GNU both looks and feels better than the rubbery PVC of the Revoltech figures. You definitely get flatter, sharper, crisper looking lines with the ABS GNUs.
  • Paint application and overall finish = IMO a slight edge to Yamato.
  • Value = the Revoltechs have the edge, especially given the amount of accessories included.
  • Articulation = A tie surprisingly. The GNUs have overall nearly as good articulation as the Revoltechs. However, the display stands included with the Revoltechs really allow them to take advantage of their articulation more so than the GNUs. Note that the GNU YF-21 actually has a greater degree of elbow bend than the Revy, although the Revy YF-19 has a greater degree of knee bend than the GNU YF-19. The GNUs can actually stand with their legs straight or adaopt a very wide spread 'A' stance. The Revys are limited to a constant spread leg stance due to their design. The Revy YF-19 does have a rotation point below the intakes, which the GNU does not. IMO (and this is subjective), the Revy YF-19 shoulder joints really give the toy a hunched shoulder look, which looks bad IMO.
  • Accessories = Winner Revoltech, as they include display stands, FAST packs (wrong color on the YF-19 like the promo pics, same as the body color) and green jelly fish, AKA pin-point barriers. Yamato would really do well to take a leaf from Kaiyodo's book and sell the GNUs with display stands. Note, only 1 x YF-21 gunpod is included.

I think I will probably drill a few discrete holes on my GNUs, to allow them to use the Revy display stands.

Note, the 4th pic of each of the YF-19 and YF-21 is to compare the degree of knee and elbow bend.

Graham

post-11-1213366848_thumb.jpg

post-11-1213366855_thumb.jpg

post-11-1213366864_thumb.jpg

post-11-1213366872_thumb.jpg

post-11-1213366881_thumb.jpg

post-11-1213366888_thumb.jpg

post-11-1213366897_thumb.jpg

post-11-1213366905_thumb.jpg

Based on the recommendations here and elsewhere, I've ordered a set of these GNU toys. I'm not a fan of revoltech toys. In the past, I've been very unhappy with revoltech toys generally, they feel very cheap and flimsy to me. For example, the recent revoltech battle pod can barely stand. I realize revoltech is inexpensive, but I'd rather pay a bit more and get a good product. Is it fair to say that the GNUs are more sturdy and stable than the revoltechs?

Thanks for the comparison pics Graham.

From the pics you posted I can clearly see why they cost more.

The quality of the material is definitely better.

Given that this is yamato's freshman effort at a toy like this I really give it kudos.

However, I hope they realize the nature of these toys.

Accessories are a must. Stands are a must. Multiple variations of hands are a must. Memorable poses are a must.

A gunpod as the only accessory? A habit that dies hard for yamato...

I rather have them a little smaller and with the small savings that come from that, include more stuff.

Based upon reviews, I'd definitely go with GNU over revoltech, due to the higher posability of the GNUs not having the fixed spread leg pose (something that bothered me since my first/only revoltech). Plus GNU has a VF-11 and doesn't have the exposed ball joints in the shoulders that make battroids look funny as revoltechs.

They do come with multiple hands - closed fists, gunpod hand, open hands. See attached pic from Save below.

Graham

yep, I saw that pic.

Are the open hands identical for both hands?

They both look like hands that support the barrel of the gunpod. It would have been cool if one of those hands were completely open or pointing...

I think what I look for in the nature of a toy like this is simple.

The ability to replicate memorable dynamic moments in the anime... Not (necessarily) a replica.

If it can do both, great. But the former has to be there.

IMO, and just IMO, the revoltechs nail the dynamics of those poses... they nail the inertia of a punch, the speed of flight. The GNU's (from the pictures I've seen so far) look slightly "rigid" (for lack of a better word). It's not necessarily range of motion either...

To Yamato's credit, it's their freshman effort... Kaiyodo's been making things way back with NGE Eva's

The GNU's make a great battroid replica... But I already got a bigger, transforming one. B))

The better sculpt seems to be the reason to get them. I think FP should have been included, and in the review maybe you should mention that upcoming ones will have FP to keep those informed who like the robot mode with FP attached to it to maybe wait?

Nice comparison pics of the joints. I'm thinking that perhaps yamato should get the jump on kaiyodo and go to non-transformable robots first like the Qrau (I can see myself getting a green one) and rogue zentradi power armour?

For me the challenge will be making it so that their bulky armour doesn't obstruct the movement of their limbs and you can do all the crouching poses and stuff not seen in bigger toys, or are too dangerous to try on models. Smaller also mean less chance of limbs going loose due to weight problems. So some of the back heavy stuff isn't as big a problem for the smaller toy.

Here's a challenge to fans of revoltech:

Pick a pose that your revoltech toy can do and post a pic of it. And then see if graham can replicate that motion on the GNU.

This will determine if comments like "oh it's too rigid looking" have any basis in fact or it's just a myth just because revoltechs were just better-presented in a pic from the person spending time trying to pose it.

Many times I have seen toys just not posed well and it affects people's impression of that toy because time wasn't spent trying to make it look right. I can make my bandai 1/65 chunky munky vf-17 look pretty good if I put in the effort. But majority of the time when you look at a pic of it, it's just in the neutral standing pose because that's what the person likes to leave it in. Not that it can't do better poses, just that time and effort wasn't put into it.

One of the things I was drawn to with the banpresto valks, is although they are POS in holding together well they seem to have great poseablity. Crouching, rising and lowering of shoulders, A stances, one-leg bent for stability stances, etc all thanks to the ball joints. But when you look at it standing upright in the box, you wouldn't think much of that and wouldn't be able to appreciate unless you spent time trying to pose it a lot.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The better sculpt seems to be the reason to get them. I think FP should have been included, and in the review maybe you should mention that upcoming ones will have FP to keep those informed who like the robot mode with FP attached to it to maybe wait?

Nice comparison pics of the joints. I'm thinking that perhaps yamato should get the jump on kaiyodo and go to non-transformable robots first like the Qrau (I can see myself getting a green one) and rogue zentradi power armour?

For me the challenge will be making it so that their bulky armour doesn't obstruct the movement of their limbs and you can do all the crouching poses and stuff not seen in bigger toys, or are too dangerous to try on models. Smaller also mean less chance of limbs going loose due to weight problems. So some of the back heavy stuff isn't as big a problem for the smaller toy.

Yes i agree, and i hate that Yamato does these patheitc static poses and it irritates me to no end! :p

Once i get my revy's we'll put on a show shall we? :p

Like I said a few pages back, I really want to like the GNU..

The ability to capture dynamic poses is what smaller non transformable toys like this usually thrive on. To me, IMO, it's priority #1.

If sculpt and good material is reason enough for another person to go for these, then the choice is simple.

The accuracy of the sculpt was never questioned on my part.

Yamato should have learned from their success with the sv-51 and yf-21. Also, accessories/ stand would have definitely sweatened the deal. If they want to charge more, a good array of accessories is a great way to ease people in and get heaps of kudos.

Edit: Updated my sig, btw. ^_^

Edited by Nani?!

Thank you Graham for the comparison shots. The GNU looks soooooooo much better than the revoltech! I am glad that I ordered the GNU YF-21 but not I am regretting buying the YF-19 Revoltech. I think that when it arrives to me I will just sell it and get the GNU instead.

Here's a challenge to fans of revoltech:

Pick a pose that your revoltech toy can do and post a pic of it. And then see if graham can replicate that motion on the GNU.

This will determine if comments like "oh it's too rigid looking" have any basis in fact or it's just a myth just because revoltechs were just better-presented in a pic from the person spending time trying to pose it.

Many times I have seen toys just not posed well and it affects people's impression of that toy because time wasn't spent trying to make it look right. I can make my bandai 1/65 chunky munky vf-17 look pretty good if I put in the effort. But majority of the time when you look at a pic of it, it's just in the neutral standing pose because that's what the person likes to leave it in. Not that it can't do better poses, just that time and effort wasn't put into it.

One of the things I was drawn to with the banpresto valks, is although they are POS in holding together well they seem to have great poseablity. Crouching, rising and lowering of shoulders, A stances, one-leg bent for stability stances, etc all thanks to the ball joints. But when you look at it standing upright in the box, you wouldn't think much of that and wouldn't be able to appreciate unless you spent time trying to pose it a lot.

totally agree!

If you pose them well, even chunky monkeys, more people tend to like them, but when some suit tries to pose a transformable toy for a trade show, I honestly think they reduce their sales. That's why Akihabara is great. Every shop spends time posing their toys in display cases, and it sells products.

I'm just finsihing some fine panel lines and detailing on my GN-Us and I'lll post them all well posed later.

Graham, thank you for the pics. The GN-U definitely looks better than the Revolt. The exposed joints on Revolt YF-19 looks kind of bad. However. the legs of the GN-U YF-21 look a bit too chubby. Did you get the VF-11? Can you take/post some pics?

BTW, I used to live by the old Post Office, very close to Tai Yuen Street. But that was 20+ years ago ^_^

Oh, physioguy, the pair looks great with the panel lines. Great job!

Better poses. A lot better. Thanks for the pics physio.

Though I'm still firm behind my opinion that revoltech still has the upper hand in terms of fluid poseability, the advantage margin in build quality the GN-U's have over the revoltechs seems to be even greater.

Yamato seems to have the advantage for upcoming releases... the changes they have to make are far easier (add accesories and a stand, upgrade poseability and joint clearance) and hence I can see myself collecting these.

I stand corrected.

As a huge fan of M+ I will now be getting both sets. Thanks to Graham and Physio for the pics.

My YF-21 Arrived! It is beautiful. Not too big, not to small. Great Sculpt (much nicer than the Revoltech IMO especially in proportions), and great finish. It is really a high quality figure. Similar in feel to the FIX line but much better quality. I do think that it is a bit overpriced though which is a bummer because I really want the YF-19 and 11 now that I have this one. Overall, very happy with the GNU. Great work Yamato!

They "authorized" it because they are following the bulbous appearance of the 19 in the original line-art. If you mean the skinny legs of the 1/60 19, THAT'S technically inaccurate.

And again, what was with that complete skeleton that we saw in the hobby mags? Is that only featured in some figures and not he Mac Plus ones?

Yup, but in an anime, you can even transform a Boss Borot in a YF-19 Fighter in a few steps, that´s why I liked de 1/60, cuz gives a fine shape to the fighter mode. In a way, there's a good reason to make a "bulbous" YF- in this case, being a non-transformable figure.. ^_^

Well, now that I see the comparison between the Rev's and GN-U, I'm impressed with that flexing angle in knees and elbows, ¡And they're ABS¡¡¡

I'm very close to chase this new line if I see an enemy mecha coming... Any newz 'bout it?

Just playing with my YF-21 at work and have to say that a Quedluun Rau in this line would be AWESOME!!!!!! They could do all three color variants! Hey Yamato, Please do! Also of course VF-4, VF-9, VF-5000, etc....

How tight are the joints on these GN-U figures? One of the biggest positives about Revoltechs are the clicking Revoltech joints that keeps them tight and not becoming floppy messes after repeated play.

The lack of a stand is a huge minus in terms of play value. Does anyone know if these figures are compatible with Gundam stands?

How tight are the joints on these GN-U figures? One of the biggest positives about Revoltechs are the clicking Revoltech joints that keeps them tight and not becoming floppy messes after repeated play.

The lack of a stand is a huge minus in terms of play value. Does anyone know if these figures are compatible with Gundam stands?

Joints are pretty tight so far.

Graham

joints are pretty tight. They are just ball and socket joints, but because the plastic is hard I don't expect them to get sloppy.

My only GN-U complaint is no stands. And sure, they are pricey, but just like the bigger Yammies, They are awesome toys. The cost has been our collective issue with all Yamato's stuff, but we keep buying them.

The Audi R8 is around 150,00 dollars, crazy expensive, but if I had the money...

Seems like some fans in Japan have already started customising their GN-U's, improving the already great articulation, adding display stands, extra weapons and different paint jobs. See the attached pics.

With their ABS parts & easily removable outer armor the GN-U's make a great base for customizing.

I'm really diggging the Max VF-22 custom.

Graham

post-11-1213720304_thumb.jpg

post-11-1213720362_thumb.jpg

post-11-1213720449_thumb.jpg

Why the hell are there no galleries of the 11? Is it that unpopular in Japan? Maybe its just me, but I've always thought the VF-11 was dead sexy. Look at that anime accurate paint job Yamato gave it too, thats awesome.

CDX has put one up along with a review for your perusal.

http://collectiondx.com/node/2567

I think if I were to get only one GN-U it would be the 11.

Edited by QuinJester