Meeting Yamato on October 21

Graham

I think the general wants on the thread are 1/60 VF-1 (which i don't know why, sure it will be in scale but i love my toys big screw a smaller scale, but that is just my opinion and i doubt yamato will do it as they said they won't), SDF-1. and obviously the ever elusive.....

VF-4 Lightning, Yamato get on that now! I will be a loyal servent forever for that and a VF-5000

Its because the majority of the toys now are released in 1/60 scale, and there is a demand for consistency. Also, we are all aware of how dated the non perfect transformation 1/60 VF-1 is now, so a lot of fans here want a perfect transformation 1/60 VF-1.

*Also, I know all of us wouldn't mind paying under $100 for a new release valkyrie, which has been years since we've all done so*.

Its because the majority of the toys now are released in 1/60 scale, and there is a demand for consistency. Also, we are all aware of how dated the non perfect transformation 1/60 VF-1 is now, so a lot of fans here want a perfect transformation 1/60 VF-1.

*Also, I know all of us wouldn't mind paying under $100 for a new release valkyrie, which has been years since we've all done so*.

I see your point and do understand but i like my VF-1s big, they look so nice next to everything else i have.

Here's the interview from January 14th 2007 for the benefit of others. My comments in red.

Taken from : http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/_updates_menu_008.htm

Here's my report of my recent interview with Yamato representatives.

There's lot's of interesting news, but as usual I can only reveal a small portion of what I was told. You will be happy to know that Yamato remains firmly committed to the Macross franchise and has a great many exciting new products in the pipeline.

So on with the news: -

1/60 Scale SV-51

Although many Macrossworld members guessed or suspected it was coming, I can now announce that Yamato will be releasing a transforming 1/60 scale SV-51 toy around the middle of 2007. The CAD design is complete and work has already started on the tooling. The first version to be released will be Ivanov's black SV-51, with other color variants to follow. This will be the largest variable fighter toy made by Yamato so far. Although I don't have the measurements from Yamato, I estimate it should be nearly 38cm long in fighter mode.

The toy will come with a specially designed display stand to help support the toy in Battroid mode. The toy's legs are too long to work with the normal Yamato display stand. The SV-51 will probably require the use of the display stand to stand in Battroid mode, just like Bandai's Aquarion toy (another Kawamori design), as it will probably suffer from being top heavy with the large folded wings mounded on the back and having skinny legs. (I'm so glad that it stands without the stand! ) I say "probably" because while the heavier resin sculpt needs the stand, the lighter finished ABS product may be able to stand unsupported in some posses, but we won't know until the tooling is finished and the first test shots are made. Interestingly, the SV-51 is never shown standing in the anime, so perhaps Kawamori never intended it to be able to stand? Even in the scene where Ivanov invades the Asuka, the SV-51 is just shown on hands and knees.

The retail price point is not set yet, but expect it to cost more than the 1/60 scale YF-19, due to it's large size and complex design with greater number of parts.

Expect photos of the SV-51 to start appearing in the Japanese hobby magazines around March.

YF-19 Fold Booster

Yamato confirmed that the YF-19 Fold Booster will feature LEDs, but no sound chip, as it does not make any sound in the anime. My source will get back to me with confirmation of the LED colors. So keep watching for updates.

It was also confirmed that the Fold Booster & FAST Pack set will be released both separately and as a set together with the YF-19.

Other YF-19 News

It was mentioned that Yamato are strongly considering producing the wing-mounted missiles and missile pods shown on the cover of the TIAS Macross Plus book as an accessory set for the 1/60 scale YF-19 toy. (Too bad this didn't happen. :( )

The Heavy Arm Weapon is not planned at this time, due to lack of any official line-art.

The white and orange Super Nova scheme is being seriously considered for a YF-19 repaint variant. I'm hoping they will eventually consider the white & blue Super Nova scheme as well.

Yamato are planning other non-canon repaint schemes for the YF-19, including possibly a low visibility version and an all new color scheme especially designed by Mr. Kawamori. (Follow up on these , Graham?)

Macrossworld Members Questions

Here's some Q&A based on questions supplied by Macrossworld members: -

Q: Will Yamato consider smaller boxes for their Macross toys?

A: Not for the initial release of a product, but for reissues we are considering smaller packing, perhaps with no flap and no window.

Q: Will Yamato reissue the 1/48 VF-1J Super Max & Milia?

A: We may possibly reissue them, but perhaps without the Super parts. It has not been decided yet.

Q: Will Yamato release 2 seat 1/48 VF-1 toys, such as the VF-1D, VT-1 & VE-1?

A: Not in 1/48 scale. (Here's the answer to all those still asking the same question)

Q: Will Yamato improve their QC.

A: We are always trying to.

Q: Will Yamato redesign the shoulder of the VF-0 toy after so many people have reported it breaking.

A: Actually, we have not heard this problem from Japanese customer, but the factory is looking into it.

Future Macross Products

I did get to hear some news about what Macross items are currently in development or being planned for the future, unfortunately I'm sworn to secrecy.

Non-Macross Products.

Yamato has some non-Macross products coming which may be of interest to Macrossworld members. The 1/12 scale Red Shoulder Custom with full weapons will no doubt be a big hit with Votoms fans. This may be the one that finally gets me to purchase a Yamato Votoms toy!

On the Megazone 23 front, as well as the upcoming Military Garland paint variation, Yamato also has a racing version planned.

Lastly there's another transforming toy in development based on a popular 80s anime, which will please many Macrossworlders. (What was this again? Orguss?)

Graham

Other YF-19 News

It was mentioned that Yamato are strongly considering producing the wing-mounted missiles and missile pods shown on the cover of the TIAS Macross Plus book as an accessory set for the 1/60 scale YF-19 toy. (Too bad this didn't happen. )

I totally agree, too bad... unless they have included mega strong magnets hidden inside the wings already for them to

produce the ordnance set (as they say they were "strongly" considering it) to connect to the wings (not bad idea really),

PLUS they could add the Heavy arms platform to release with it. Not a bad idea is it guys?

Yamato your a foolish company sometimes.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I totally agree, too bad... unless they have included mega strong magnets hidden inside the wings already for them to

produce the ordnance set (as they say they were "strongly" considering it) to connect to the wings (not bad idea really),

PLUS they could add the Heavy arms platform to release with it. Not a bad idea is it guys?

Yamato your a foolish company sometimes.

Either that, or include replacement wings with built-in hard points with the ordnance set (IMO the YF-19 should have had wing hard points all along anyway). That way, all one would need to do is open the wing gloves --are they glued or just screwed?... I can't remember-- and swap the wings. And the Heavy Weapon Arm Pod is a must with any such set.

What do you say Graham? Is this something that could be brought up for Yamato's consideration?

PS.: Yamato, while not alone in this, makes foolish decisions more then just some times; the 1/60 YF-19 is a prime example of this. The engineering on the toy appears to be only about 85% finished: the lack of chest locking in GERWALK and specially BATTROID, let alone the other minor flubs, attest to my personal impression. I hope they'll so a lot better with the upcoming YF-21; the SV-51 gives me hope that they certainly can do better.

Edited by mechaninac

I hope I can squeeze one more question in before the G-Man is off to the pub with the people from yamato.

Is the development of the 1/60 YF-21 still on track for a 1st Q 2008 release? The lack of news/pics has me worried that Yamato might have run into some trouble with the prototype or something.

Edited by Dante74

Sad I am so late... anyways I guess all the interesting questions are made already (right on RECON!) and G-Man now must be regreting this thread as he obviously will be able to reply MAYBE a 10% of the questions made (certainly the 10% nobody cares about).

I guess we will get some partial info (no more than the one we can get from today's HJ issue)... anyways it is still fun to have a thread to bother Mr. Parkes. I can see him going thru all this pages with a small notebook taking note of every question... hahahah so british... Tell me I'm wrong...

I think another request not question could be highlighted by Gman to the Yamato representatives, namely:

1) More stringent checks on the design and materials used to avoid another disaster like that of the VF-0S/A

2) More stringent checks and enforcement by that of the QC department and to stop the released of any mass produced products if any potential problems were spotted for e.g. duplicated right hinge joints in SV-51, crooked gunpod in YF-19, broken shoulders in VF-0A/S.

Does anyone else feel this is a sign, that the meeting date is on "21". :) I think it is a good sign.

Hey I totally didn't realize the possible symbolism there! Nice one Sumdumgai. Meeting is on the 21st could there be some big bombs about the YF-21 at this meeting? Oh let it be true we want info. ^_^ .

Does anyone else feel this is a sign, that the meeting date is on "21". :) I think it is a good sign.

Hey I totally didn't realize the possible symbolism there! Nice one Sumdumgai. Meeting is on the 21st could there be some big bombs about the YF-21 at this meeting? Oh let it be true we want info. ^_^ .

Heheh, you guys watch too much "heroes" or just too much TV... :p

Good meeting.

Found out lots of very interesting new stuff. Unfortunately as usually, I can't talk about 99% of it yet.

However, I will say 2008 is going to be a fantastic, if extremely expensive year, from the sheer range of stuff planned. :D

I'll try to address the individual questions posted in the first 9 pages of this thread later, as far as I'm able.

Graham

Now that's interesting news. :) Very interesting news.

Thank you Graham for the info that you can give us. Already knowing that 2008 is going to be a fantastic year is... well... Fantastic! (my bank account hurts already).

Actually, of all the things asked for and discussed, i am more keen to know about the QC issues on the current line of products... even more than hearing about new stuff. I think it best to "fix" what we have before we get something new with the same poor QC issues.

Graham, is there any chance of bringing that up first? Just to put a lot of minds at rest before we all start dooling over something new.

I really want to hear about the new items on the horizon, but i want to know that they will be solid and free of bugs. anyone with me?

Edited by vermillion01

<Doing my worst Scottish/member of Braveheart's army accent>: AYE!! We're wit' ya', vermillion01!!! Yamato may hide their secrets, but we must know about their QUALITY CONTROL!!!!!!! .......... :D

Seriously though, it would be nice to know what QC steps Yamato is taking to correct or ensure that its products don't have any defects or design flaws.

Stuff like showing the support struts on the SV-51's wings was a nice start. I just hope they continue that trend and keep taking the quality concerns seriously.

The possible reasons Graham probably can't tell us 99% of everything yet are because:

-not everything is finalized

-some things may be on the working board but Yamato doesn't want to announce yet in case they scrap it (1/60 Monster).

-if we found out the whole list of what's to come 2008, we wouldn't have to chew our fingernails off in anticipation.

-people in Japan would complain that us foreigners get first dibs on info before the Japanese customers who are the ones that are officially getting these Macross toys.

-the people at Yamato are sadists, and are torturing poor Graham by giving him all this info and keeping the Yamato ninjas constantly around Graham making sure he can't give any of the juicy tidbits away. :lol:

shucks wet blanket!! All the info that you have G-Man, how can you possibly sleep in peace, knowing thousands of souls out there are wailing "Tell me..Tell me!!" Probably he does sleep in peace, cos he is a sadist! :p:ph34r: :ph34r:

Suspects list

1) 1/60 YF-21 and YF-21/Fps/Fold Booster

2) 1/60 VF-11B (probably year end)

3) 1/60 YF-19 SuperNova or YF-19A

4) 1/60 VF-0D (Single Seater)

5) 1/60 SV-51 CF

6) 1/60 VF-1 (Hopefully)

Edited by recon