Yamato's 1/60 SV-51.

UN Spacy

A quick check shows that many of the markings Yamato provides are very "Russian" if not specifically "Sukhoi" in appearance---I have found several that closely/exactly match Su-27 markings.

Still haven't found any equivalent of "no step" however for sure--maybe Russian planes are just so inherently strong there's no restrictions. I've got great walkaround pics of a Ukranian Flanker, and even the flaps and stabs have NOTHING on them for warnings. Tons around the nose though.

::checks more:: Ok, I don't have pics of it, but some camo/marking/decal diagrams pretty clearly show that an "X" is the equivalent of the "no step". So use sticker #8. Though it seems they usually use red X's, not white. Of course, being a black plane, red doesn't show up well. Quick fact: for low-vis schemes, if the plane is black, the markings are red. Also, they like to outline the no-step area in hash-marks, with an X in the middle. Or, (on flaps and stab edges), you see something like this:

===X

Here's a drawing of the latest Russian Su-27 camo, shows some markings. I'm kind of surprised they use the exact same "crane hook attachment here" marking as the US. Also, here's a photo showing some nose markings. Note the radiation warning on the nosecone--exact same as Yamato's sticker #1.

PS---ALL lettering is Cyrillic. And there's a ton when you get up close.

Whoo hoo! <Crossing fingers> Hoping everything is ok with the toy. I should get it today (Thursday) Wow, Left Tuesday, arrives Thursday. :)

Aug 30, 2007 03:29:00 US ONTARIO DEPARTURE SCAN

Aug 30, 2007 00:30:00 US HONOLULU IN TRANSIT TO

Aug 30, 2007 00:26:00 US ONTARIO LOCATION SCAN

Aug 30, 2007 00:15:00 US ONTARIO IMPORT SCAN

Aug 29, 2007 22:18:00 US ONTARIO ARRIVAL SCAN

Aug 29, 2007 21:27:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK DEPARTURE SCAN

Aug 29, 2007 17:00:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK HUB SCAN

Aug 29, 2007 14:46:00 HK KWAI CHUNG PICKUP SCAN

Aug 29, 2007 10:33:00 US ONTARIO REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY. SHIPMENT RELEASE PENDING CLEARING AGENCY REVIEW / RELEASED BY CLEARING AGENCY. NOW IN-TRANSIT FOR DELIVERY

Aug 29, 2007 10:33:00 US ONTARIO REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY. SHIPMENT RELEASE PENDING CLEARING AGENCY REVIEW / SHIPMENT SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY, AWAITING FINAL RELEASE

Aug 29, 2007 00:45:40 HK BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

I am new to this whole Macross Yamato “toy” thing, but I have purchased almost all of them in the last 6 weeks, so I do have an example of just about everything they make.

Firstly I think that calling these “toys” is just silly. They are “transformable display items” or “Art”. There is nothing about any Yamato product that I have that screams “TOY”. They are to be displayed, not played with. And they are to be transformed with tender loving care. Once again, they are not “toys”. I agree that some specific situations could have been better addressed by Yamato, but that plays into my next point…….you get what you pay for.

I hear more than anything else on this board “If I am paying $150+ for one of these they should be perfect” etc, etc, etc, etc. I hate to break it to you but in the year 2007 $150 is not a lot of money. It costs me $75 just to fill the gas tank in my truck, and it’s an F150, not a Mack. I realize that some of you are young, in school, don’t have a ton of disposable income, etc. But that doesn’t make $150 worth more than $150. I think the quality, size, design, etc of the Yamato Macross stuff is incredible for $150 and I am glad they don’t cost more. We are talking about a product with very, very low production numbers that for most of us is not even officially imported to our country. If these were “Transformers” or whatever is the hot kids toy out there right now and had a TV show on every day at 3:00pm supporting it these would cost $19.99 (they probably wouldn’t be as nice though).. Mass production means mass production. These, I am afraid are not mass produced.

How about value? Most of you I am sure take a little pride in having a hobby that is not part of the mainstream. It seems that most people on this board have some complex personalities and for the most part seem a bit more creative and intelligent than your average bear. You have chosen to operate outside the mainstream, and in doing so have chosen to spend more money on what you love than lets say your average NASCAR or WWF fan. As far as hobbies go, especially non mainstream hobbies this Macross stuff is dirt cheap. What do you think it costs to collect art? Collect guns? Have a fast car? Race ANYTHING?

I think it’s amazing that I can purchase something from a far off land, that relates to a subject that almost no one knows about, has incredible quality, looks super cool and all for about $150 a shot! I have never ever once looked at a Yamato item as cheap, or crappy.

Enjoy your Yamato “toys”, chalk the idiosyncrasies up to low production numbers and a niche market. If they bother you so much that you get upset about them you are missing the point of what they are and what they have to offer and at that point you ARE paying too much for them.

My $.02

Has anyone gotten a shipping notice from HLJ yet?

Chris

You may want to check up on you order with them. They have had some ordering problems recently. They lost my order for a vf-0 for 4 weeks before contacting me.

I am new to this whole Macross Yamato “toy” thing, but I have purchased almost all of them in the last 6 weeks, so I do have an example of just about everything they make.

Firstly I think that calling these “toys” is just silly. They are “transformable display items” or “Art”. There is nothing about any Yamato product that I have that screams “TOY”. They are to be displayed, not played with. And they are to be transformed with tender loving care. Once again, they are not “toys”. I agree that some specific situations could have been better addressed by Yamato, but that plays into my next point…….you get what you pay for.

I hear more than anything else on this board “If I am paying $150+ for one of these they should be perfect” etc, etc, etc, etc. I hate to break it to you but in the year 2007 $150 is not a lot of money. It costs me $75 just to fill the gas tank in my truck, and it’s an F150, not a Mack. I realize that some of you are young, in school, don’t have a ton of disposable income, etc. But that doesn’t make $150 worth more than $150. I think the quality, size, design, etc of the Yamato Macross stuff is incredible for $150 and I am glad they don’t cost more. We are talking about a product with very, very low production numbers that for most of us is not even officially imported to our country. If these were “Transformers” or whatever is the hot kids toy out there right now and had a TV show on every day at 3:00pm supporting it these would cost $19.99 (they probably wouldn’t be as nice though).. Mass production means mass production. These, I am afraid are not mass produced.

How about value? Most of you I am sure take a little pride in having a hobby that is not part of the mainstream. It seems that most people on this board have some complex personalities and for the most part seem a bit more creative and intelligent than your average bear. You have chosen to operate outside the mainstream, and in doing so have chosen to spend more money on what you love than lets say your average NASCAR or WWF fan. As far as hobbies go, especially non mainstream hobbies this Macross stuff is dirt cheap. What do you think it costs to collect art? Collect guns? Have a fast car? Race ANYTHING?

I think it’s amazing that I can purchase something from a far off land, that relates to a subject that almost no one knows about, has incredible quality, looks super cool and all for about $150 a shot! I have never ever once looked at a Yamato item as cheap, or crappy.

Enjoy your Yamato “toys”, chalk the idiosyncrasies up to low production numbers and a niche market. If they bother you so much that you get upset about them you are missing the point of what they are and what they have to offer and at that point you ARE paying too much for them.

My $.02

well said bro B))

Thanks Swoosh!

Awesome pictures! I never really liked this mech, too gangly for my taste, but having seen your pictures - I just have to break down and get one (the same went for the VF-0A+Ghost, I wasn't getting one until I saw the pictures here! argh!) Yamato should pay royalities :lol: I really appreciate you posting them, thanks.

That fix you guys illustrated is very helpful - but if I understand it correctly, aren't you shaving off some of the plastic holding the thicker hinge pin? If so, aren't you reducing the thickness of the plastic holding the wing on, in essence weakening the joint further?

Lastly, does Swoosh's toy also have the 2 right hinge? Does everyone who have their SV-51s have only a right hinge or is this just an isolated incident. Graham, did they just design one hinge thinking that it would work for both sides or is this just a case of a careless assembly worker on a Friday? Could we get a informal poll here of everyone who has one of these beauties to check in please?

Thanks,

p.s. I love the dark colours and the two-tone grey/blacks! - despite its shape, its a remarkable feat of toy engineering!

p.p.s Anybody trying to pick this baby up locally at a shop in Toronto, Canada? Any suggestions? or go with HLJ?

Edited by wm cheng

That fix you guys illustrated is very helpful - but if I understand it correctly, aren't you shaving off some of the plastic holding the thicker hinge pin? If so, aren't you reducing the thickness of the plastic holding the wing on, in essence weakening the joint further?

Lastly, does Swoosh's toy also have the 2 right hinge? Does everyone who have their SV-51s have only a right hinge or is this just an isolated incident. Graham, did they just design one hinge thinking that it would work for both sides or is this just a case of a careless assembly worker on a Friday? Could we get a informal poll here of everyone who has one of these beauties to check in please?

I think dogjumpjump did not shaving off the plastic, but to cut off the excess length of the little "bar" thing.... (hate that I don't know the correct word of that)

If I look from the nose cone of it, both of my hinge are right hinge... may be some people will get 2 left hinge...

Let's wait for Graham to tell what he got...

I think dogjumpjump did not shaving off the plastic, but to cut off the excess length of the little "bar" thing.... (hate that I don't know the correct word of that)

If I look from the nose cone of it, both of my hinge are right hinge... may be some people will get 2 left hinge...

Let's wait for Graham to tell what he got...

yes, I haven't shaving off the plastic!!

People, are going to have different opinions on the value of there money and the value that they recieve from their purchases. Obviously, if you have a larger amount of disposable income the more likely you are going to be to drop 200+ on a "toy". This may or may not be a determining factor in the value you recieve from your purchase.

For me, if I had several hundred extra dollars each month to spend on toys, I might not care so much as to the quality of the finished goods. $200.00+ is quite a large sum for me to justify on a "toy", Simply, because of the amount of disposable income I have. When I make that purchase it better achieve or surpass my expectations. If it doesn't I'm going to be dissapointed and leary of any future purchases from that manufacturer.

I really don't think members are being nitpicky. For the amount of money thats being paid out certain things, Like arms and hips breaking right out of the box, should not be occuring.

Oh!, maybe I have it wrong then...

This is what I understood as the problem and solution in the photos that were posted. Could you correct me please?

It seems that the hinges have a flat side and a recessed side at the smaller plastic pivot side (yeah, I don't know what its called either) which determines whether they are right or left. In the second photo, it seems as though a bit of this plastic is hacked off to make it appear like the other side's recess - at least this is what I understood from the photos.

Hmm, it this guy in HK and Swoosh both have this hinge problem, then we are 2 for 2 so far - anyone else?

post-244-1188485742_thumb.jpg

haha, squidd is the new low viz lurker. :D

my request to those who own it,

can you pose the SV-51 without it falling over?

and when i say pose, i mean a real pose, not just standing straight up, knees locked and arms at its side.

so far the only real posed pics i've seen of battroid mode is on the stand.

thanks!

This is what I understood as the problem and solution in the photos that were posted. Could you correct me please?

It seems that the hinges have a flat side and a recessed side at the smaller plastic pivot side (yeah, I don't know what its called either) which determines whether they are right or left. In the second photo, it seems as though a bit of this plastic is hacked off to make it appear like the other side's recess - at least this is what I understood from the photos.

Hmm, it this guy in HK and Swoosh both have this hinge problem, then we are 2 for 2 so far - anyone else?

thats not a pic i wanted to see. :mellow:

if the thicker side of the piece(stronger side) has to be shaved down that thin, it going to lose its strength.

maybe i'm seeing it wrong but that point was already pretty thin, now it looks super thin.

I would agree with sqidd's take on yamatos not being toys. Given the cost of one and the attention to detail of them, I actually don't consider them as toys. When people find out that I've spent around 10k already on my little macross collection and ask why I had spent that much on "toys" I tell them they aren't toys, but "Japanese Collectible Items" hehe. Of course, them being collectibles don't stop me from flying them around and playing with them. :rolleyes:

thats not a pic i wanted to see.

if the thicker side of the piece(stronger side) has to be shaved down that thin, it going to lose its strength.

maybe i'm seeing it wrong but that point was already pretty thin, now it looks super thin.

I may be wrong here but I don't think that radical shaving is necessary. If the part is as shown in my attached picture, all that would be required would be for you to rotate and/or flip the hinge so that it's bridging bar faces in the same direction as the correct one, and then, if necessary, shave off the extra length or the hinge peg to match the protruding amount on the other side, finally, add to the original short end if needed to match the original length of the now shortened long end.

post-664-1188489187_thumb.gif

no need to shaving off the plastic!! just rotate and shorten the long end

Edited by dojumpjump

haha, squidd is the new low viz lurker. :D

my request to those who own it,

can you pose the SV-51 without it falling over?

and when i say pose, i mean a real pose, not just standing straight up, knees locked and arms at its side.

so far the only real posed pics i've seen of battroid mode is on the stand.

thanks!

We were told this SV cannot stand without the display stand...

Now it can stand on it own in both Gerwalk and Battriod mode, I consider this a bonus or "hiden feature" :lol:

I don't think it can pose like a Revoltech :wacko:

Why don't we trade right or left hinges instead of shaving them???

So If anyone have a right-right hinge let's try to find another SV-51 owner with left-left hinge then trade it?

Honestly I don't want to mess up my SV-51...

Edited by charger69

Wow I've been away on vacations and look what I found in the forums upon my retur, a gazillion of pics from the newly released SV-51 Ivanov type.

I must admit that this bird looks sweet. Now I'll have to wrestle with myself to decide whether or not I'll buy Ivanov's or Nora's SV-51.

I'll be looking forward to reading Graham's review.

From what i observe both hinges have recesses at both top and bottom but the difference is that for the top surface for right hinge, the recess extends into the peg ends as well.

flipping the right hinge over and shortening one of the peg ends, you are reproducing a left hinge with a recess that extends into peg end. Shaving one of the peg ends is to make clearance for the rotating hinge joint of the wing

Hope you guys get what i mean. Im still not too please that after all the checks imposed and delays, we still do not get a QC free product.

Edited by recon

People, are going to have different opinions on the value of there money and the value that they recieve from their purchases. Obviously, if you have a larger amount of disposable income the more likely you are going to be to drop 200+ on a "toy". This may or may not be a determining factor in the value you recieve from your purchase.

For me, if I had several hundred extra dollars each month to spend on toys, I might not care so much as to the quality of the finished goods. $200.00+ is quite a large sum for me to justify on a "toy", Simply, because of the amount of disposable income I have. When I make that purchase it better achieve or surpass my expectations. If it doesn't I'm going to be dissapointed and leary of any future purchases from that manufacturer.

I really don't think members are being nitpicky. For the amount of money thats being paid out certain things, Like arms and hips breaking right out of the box, should not be occuring.

Personally, I think there's a middle road between the sheer amount of battying that goes on and writing everything off that yamato messes up on. I think most people can deal with miss fitting parts or what not, but major problems like joints not being strong enough or poor material choices should not be happening at this point.

And I do agree, not everyone has the same amount of disposable income. For many of us, we simply can't afford to... or just plain don't want to blow 200 bucks on a toy that's going to fall apart or hell, even not be the best version of the toy in a few months. It doesn't make us any less of a fan, nor does it make us a whiner or what not.. it just means that given finite resources, we choose to get the best value for our money.

Having said that, I will continue to maintain that attacking people, calling them names or talking down to them because they have differing view points is uncalled for. Ultimately, it's a toy and stop taking it so damn personally.

Anyways, Swoosh, those latest pics are incredible. I've never seen the sv-51 posed to nicely!

I still call these toys. Why? They are nothing like Hasegawas durability wise. Model kits are meant to be displayed and not designed with durability in mind. Yamato's valkyries are different. These can be played with, just not abused. You shouldn't hand these to a 4 year old and expect to retrieve it one piece. This is a debate that has been echoed for years on this board. You shouldn't leave these on the bottom of your toy stash in a brown box. Everyone keeps talking about how fragile Yamato valkyries are and how they are afraid to touch them. Sure with the VF-0 shoulders, first VF-11B hips, and maybe, maybe the YF-19 gullet hinge I can understand(but Graham and soze already pointed out how to avoid breaking it), but truth is, in general these are much more durable than anyone thinks. More durable than Transformers Alternators. For example, my Yamato 1/48 VF-1S is in one piece after 3 years. Never broken. Still in great shape. All of my model kits have broken in one way or another.

So I'm calling this a toy. A highly detailed collector's toy, but a toy nonetheless. Like I said, made for adults, not some kid who is going to bash them together like a 70's Shogun warrior in a sandbox. These are more durable than Dragon's warbird models, which are made of diecast meta(and truth be told diecast does not equal durable).

This is a great looking toy, the poses look excellent Swoosh, thanks for posting the pics. If Yamato can tackle this, it gives me hope that they can surely pull off a VF-0D, which is much more simple in comparison(new parts and retooled mold vs all new mold like the SV-51).

I love the fact that the display stand comes with the toy and can be utilized in different ways.

Hey Squidd, You don't happen to live Hawaii do you? I swear I just saw someone in a f150 truck with a vanity plate that said squidd T.

Oh, I consider this an adult toy. I wouldn't give it to my 5yr old son. I've seen him play with the new Transformer toys. Not pretty. If I paid $200+, and this was the first time I paid that much, I would demand that this unit would be more detailed than that of my old BanDai SV-17s. What I want is a transformable toy that I can set up and look like a model, yet handle it like a toy and something that would break with minor playing.

Edited by starstreak007