Yamato's 1/60 SV-51.

UN Spacy

Hey Squidd, You don't happen to live Hawaii do you? I swear I just saw someone in a f150 truck with a vanity plate that said squidd T.

Oh, I consider this an adult toy. I wouldn't give it to my 5yr old son. I've seen him play with the new Transformer toys. Not pretty. If I paid $200+, and this was the first time I paid that much, I would demand that this unit would be more detailed than that of my old BanDai SV-17s. What I want is a transformable toy that I can set up and look like a model, yet handle it like a toy and something that would break with minor playing.

Bandai VF-17S? Holy cow man, that thing looks outdated compared to the recent Yamato releases!

Don't you love those guys that appear from nowhere and fixes the anal neurosis of an entire internet community with their wisdom and common sense?

Seriously, squidd (if that's your real name :p), you're entitled to your opinions and you're free to express them like all of us do, but assuming we'll all be illuminated and think like you do just because you talk like a motivational manager is not right. We all have Yamatos, and we all feel different about them.

I agree with some of your points of view, it's the way you express them I can't agree with. If you're in peace with your "collectibles", good for you, say so and surely a few guys around here will agree with you and probably someone even chooses to change his mind about theirs, but don't tell people what should they feel about theirs or the money they pay for them. BoB, for instance, is our resident troll, but nobody here ever censors him.

What I like about MW is that we're not about sides here. I think we should keep it that way :)

We were told this SV cannot stand without the display stand...

Now it can stand on it own in both Gerwalk and Battriod mode, I consider this a bonus or "hiden feature" :lol:

I don't think it can pose like a Revoltech :wacko:

haha, hidden feature!

i'm not talking like a revoltech but something more simple like this....

P2240005.jpg

[quote name=What I like about MW is that we're not about sides here. I think we should keep it that way :)

Agreed. Nobody has to take sides and what not. Lets just all enjoy, talk and discuss about this masterpiece called the SV-51 B)) . Swoosh I do enjoy the "fully loaded" pose a lot! That pose is one of the reasons why I got into giant robots, because heavy firepower just looks so cool. :D I can't wait to get mine and feel like a 12 year old minus the carelessness into transforming this bird.

**Patiently awaits HLJ's payment processing email**

Hey Squidd, You don't happen to live Hawaii do you? I swear I just saw someone in a f150 truck with a vanity plate that said squidd T.

Nope, I live somewhere a lot nicer tha HI..............beautiful, safe, dreamlike.....Detroit :p

I guess there are two of me. Scary thought ;)

Yamato Executive to the Yamato ninjas about the head QC guy in China: "Our QC standards have failed to be upheld time and time again. Take him to Detroit." (thumbs up if you can name the movie the second sentence came from.) :)

I've been blown away by the pics of everyone's SV-51. It's been pretty hard not to give in to the urge to get one. :p Really hard.

additon: Thumbs up to IAD! :)

Edited by Sumdumgai

What I like about MW is that we're not about sides here. I think we should keep it that way :)

I wrote a post about looking at what we are getting for $150 in a positive light. What “side” does that represent? ;)

Personally, I think there's a middle road between the sheer amount of battying that goes on and writing everything off that yamato messes up on. I think most people can deal with miss fitting parts or what not, but major problems like joints not being strong enough or poor material choices should not be happening at this point.

And I do agree, not everyone has the same amount of disposable income. For many of us, we simply can't afford to... or just plain don't want to blow 200 bucks on a toy that's going to fall apart or hell, even not be the best version of the toy in a few months. It doesn't make us any less of a fan, nor does it make us a whiner or what not.. it just means that given finite resources, we choose to get the best value for our money.

Having said that, I will continue to maintain that attacking people, calling them names or talking down to them because they have differing view points is uncalled for. Ultimately, it's a toy and stop taking it so damn personally.

Anyways, Swoosh, those latest pics are incredible. I've never seen the sv-51 posed to nicely!

Eugimon, was this always your point of view?? ;)

'Cause.... I could have sworn you came four words short of "STFU!!!" anytime anyone "battied." :lol::lol:

(Dude, you know I'm joking right? ^_^ )

Yeah, Squidd. I make a decent living with decent amount of "disaposable" $$ but that doesn't mean that a personal financial situation changes what yamato products are: TOYS. You want to call them ART, fine dude... I call my goods different names too, but the techinical description of what they are sans emotional attachment and fanaticism is: TOYS.

It also doesn't change the fact that $150+ is money anyone, rich or not, SHOULD throw around or take lightly... but I'm not here to tell you how to manage your money... B)) And it sure as heck wont change the fact that expectations for a $150+ toy will be high... $150-200 for a toy by any standards is a lot. It's PREMIUM or, "ART" caliber money as you call it.

Premium stuff should not require at home QC.

With yamato's stuff... it's not too far fetched to say that we need nail salonist licenses with all the nail polish, sanding, clipping, and cutting we do on them. ;)

This time though I think yamato did everything they can on their part. They did everything possible to make this package kick ass... and credit should go where it's deserved. Same with the reprimanding... Somebody needs to visit that toy plant in China and whack some workers upside the head~

I still call these toys. Why? They are nothing like Hasegawas durability wise. Model kits are meant to be displayed and not designed with durability in mind. Yamato's valkyries are different. These can be played with, just not abused. You shouldn't hand these to a 4 year old and expect to retrieve it one piece. This is a debate that has been echoed for years on this board. You shouldn't leave these on the bottom of your toy stash in a brown box. Everyone keeps talking about how fragile Yamato valkyries are and how they are afraid to touch them. Sure with the VF-0 shoulders, first VF-11B hips, and maybe, maybe the YF-19 gullet hinge I can understand(but Graham and soze already pointed out how to avoid breaking it), but truth is, in general these are much more durable than anyone thinks. More durable than Transformers Alternators. For example, my Yamato 1/48 VF-1S is in one piece after 3 years. Never broken. Still in great shape. All of my model kits have broken in one way or another.

So I'm calling this a toy. A highly detailed collector's toy, but a toy nonetheless. Like I said, made for adults, not some kid who is going to bash them together like a 70's Shogun warrior in a sandbox. These are more durable than Dragon's warbird models, which are made of diecast meta(and truth be told diecast does not equal durable).

This is a great looking toy, the poses look excellent Swoosh, thanks for posting the pics. If Yamato can tackle this, it gives me hope that they can surely pull off a VF-0D, which is much more simple in comparison(new parts and retooled mold vs all new mold like the SV-51).

I love the fact that the display stand comes with the toy and can be utilized in different ways.

Well said. I agree with Shin. He just said it better than me!

As for the wing hinge, I'll decide when i get it what to do. If it's just that it doesnt fold an extra couple of mil, i might not worry about it to much. I THINK I understand what people are saying about the fix, but ill have to see it to be sure, and then decide if it's worth the hassle. I kinda like the look of it with the wings extended in Battroid anyway.

As for expectations of quality...I had a oA break, and it pissed me off. I bought it through Neova, and it arrived with 2 shattered arms, broken tail and a cracked leg. I determined this was probably more than just a QC error, and got it swapped. The replacement has a crack in the shoulder, but it isn't to bad. All my other valks are fine. Every single one of em. So form my expereinece, Yamato QC is fine. i probably had 4 or 5 times as many Marvel Legends broken out of the box as i have had Yamatos break.

^ ouch! thats sucks but i'm sure neova came through and made things right. speaking of which, where is neova anyway? he was my go to guy for macross toys and he totally disappeared off the face of the earth. :unsure::(

anyway, i said this a way back on page 10....

peoples expectation should reflect the price that it costs yamato to produce these, not the price that sellers are charging you.

i don't expect $200 worth of QC/effort from a toy that cost yamato $50 to make. at most, i'm expecting $50 worth of effort on this particular product. this doesn't mean i'll just accept QC ridden toys that yamato releases, but it helps me deal with my dissatifaction nonetheless.

^ ouch! thats sucks but i'm sure neova came through and made things right. speaking of which, where is neova anyway? he was my go to guy for macross toys and he totally disappeared off the face of the earth. :unsure::(

anyway, i said this a way back on page 10....

peoples expectation should reflect the price that it costs yamato to produce these, not the price that sellers are charging you.

i don't expect $200 worth of QC/effort from a toy that cost yamato $50 to make. at most, i'm expecting $50 worth of effort on this particular product. this doesn't mean i'll just accept QC ridden toys that yamato releases, but it helps me deal with my dissatifaction nonetheless.

DND, I'm throwing a BIG peace sign right out front before you think what I will say is some sort of insult to you.

Just continuing where you left off with a slight counterpoint, dude. Don't you go transform into Haterist now. B))

Mark ups from sellers are a problem, no doubt... but some sellers also mark down, which frugal buyers like yourself and I take advantage of.

Yamato's retail price for a sv-51 is 22,890 yen.... that's $197.45 that they're asking us to dish for this stuff. Good deal or not on it's WORTH, that's ultimately decided by the opinion of the buyer. (I think it's worth it, barring serious QC issues). Despite the variety of opinions we have here regarding what these toys are worth, there is an median overall expectation, especially regarding polish, that people here have of when yamato demands $150+.

Our expections should not be based on the $50 sweat shop dollars yamato pays it's contracted factories per valk... Our expectations on the quality of their products should solely be based on the hard earned 197.45 dollars YAMATO thinks we should pay for their products and polish. When the discrepancy between what they think $197.45 should buy and what consumers think it should buy increases to their favor, that's when we got a problem....

Personally for me, for the money yamato on average charges for valks, these things should be AT LEAST design-defect free. NO MATTER WHAT. Factory QC defects, maybe... depending on how serious.

In the case of the sv-51... so far so good.

Ack, beautiful...but the price! I'm guessing when this shows up at Frank & Sons with Treasure Island or Yoshi it's going to be in the range of $250-$275? I paid $215 when the 1/48 VF-1J Stealth with FP came out and I'm horrified on what this thing is gonna cost in-person.

my sv-51 is going to be shipped with mp skywarp from hlj. the shipping came out a little cheaper combined plus the exchange rate through paypal made it a little less. still expensive though. <_<

however two cool black birds are coming.

Edited by sh002

Yay! I just got mine in the mail. That was fast.

I jsut had enough time to take it out of the box. I have a question for those who have it, how well do the parts lock? This is my frist Yamato toy so I'm not sure if this is normal. Its in Plane form. if I turn it upside down, the left wing folds over. Hmm it seems most parts on the lft sides moves freely. The left rear wing (name escapes me, aleron?) rotates real easy, the right side seems to have a "click" when centered.

Update: Woah, just looked at the manual. Talk about complicated. If anybody can read japanese I would be thankful if you can translate. lol.

Edited by starstreak007

Just got my HLJ payment request. $228.99. Wierd because I cancelled my order. But I bought one on monday off the bay which has shipped already for $230.00. worth the extra buck to have it on it's way a week earlier than from HLJ. :blink:

I went to the site. I looked up the sv-51 but I didn't see a link for instructions. Is there someplace else I'm supposed to go? Thanks!

-Go to the main page.

-Type macross on the quicksearch.

-And then just click on the sv-51's picture.

From there is really easy to buy.

I am new to this whole Macross Yamato “toy” thing, but I have purchased almost all of them in the last 6 weeks, so I do have an example of just about everything they make.

Firstly I think that calling these “toys” is just silly. They are “transformable display items” or “Art”. There is nothing about any Yamato product that I have that screams “TOY”. They are to be displayed, not played with. And they are to be transformed with tender loving care. Once again, they are not “toys”. I agree that some specific situations could have been better addressed by Yamato, but that plays into my next point…….you get what you pay for.

I hear more than anything else on this board “If I am paying $150+ for one of these they should be perfect” etc, etc, etc, etc. I hate to break it to you but in the year 2007 $150 is not a lot of money. It costs me $75 just to fill the gas tank in my truck, and it’s an F150, not a Mack. I realize that some of you are young, in school, don’t have a ton of disposable income, etc. But that doesn’t make $150 worth more than $150. I think the quality, size, design, etc of the Yamato Macross stuff is incredible for $150 and I am glad they don’t cost more. We are talking about a product with very, very low production numbers that for most of us is not even officially imported to our country. If these were “Transformers” or whatever is the hot kids toy out there right now and had a TV show on every day at 3:00pm supporting it these would cost $19.99 (they probably wouldn’t be as nice though).. Mass production means mass production. These, I am afraid are not mass produced.

How about value? Most of you I am sure take a little pride in having a hobby that is not part of the mainstream. It seems that most people on this board have some complex personalities and for the most part seem a bit more creative and intelligent than your average bear. You have chosen to operate outside the mainstream, and in doing so have chosen to spend more money on what you love than lets say your average NASCAR or WWF fan. As far as hobbies go, especially non mainstream hobbies this Macross stuff is dirt cheap. What do you think it costs to collect art? Collect guns? Have a fast car? Race ANYTHING?

I think it’s amazing that I can purchase something from a far off land, that relates to a subject that almost no one knows about, has incredible quality, looks super cool and all for about $150 a shot! I have never ever once looked at a Yamato item as cheap, or crappy.

Enjoy your Yamato “toys”, chalk the idiosyncrasies up to low production numbers and a niche market. If they bother you so much that you get upset about them you are missing the point of what they are and what they have to offer and at that point you ARE paying too much for them.

My $.02

I agree totaly they are two expensive for the term "toys". After working in hobby shops for so long I realised that these are collectable figers. If these are toys then all those diecast collectors are paying $200.00 for a toy car which is not the case. They are paying this money for a diecast replica which sits in a case and will never be wheeled around the floor.

IMO most of these Yamato "toys" are going to people who place them on display and not flying them around the house/backyard transforming on the fly. By playing I don't include sitting enjoying the transformation but haveing a game with them like you see two ten year olds battling thier transformers.

Well thats my two cents and remember it's all just IMO. :)

Some Russian aircraft manufactured for export have english markings. I found it odd when I saw it.

Also, do Russo-German-Israeli planes of the future have ENGLISH warning signs on them? English is the universal aviation language, and many non-English-speaking nations still use "No Step", but if there's one place you won't find English, it's Russian-speaking nations.

Personally, if I wanted to decal up a Sv-51, I'd buy a Flanker sheet.

Yo swoosh! Nice pics bro! :lol:

I have a request...can you do the kicking thing that Nora did with her SV-51?

With or Without the base would be great ^_^

That turning/back/side kick? :blink: I don't think that can be done, a front step kick instead may be.... :lol: