Toynami:

You all know I'd love to see the Beta/Tread get made and wake my Mog avatar from his almost year-long slumber.

But no firm release date and no nice little tidbits on the prototype's new features don't exactly fill me with confidence.

I know I should be more optimistic. But the sign on the bottom right-hand part of this picture is a strong reminder about how good Toynami's promises are: Link.

Last I checked, we're in June of 2007.

Just understand guys, I keep kicking Toynami down, because I want them to get pissed and motivated. I want them to prove me wrong and start delivering some much better products.

Is that too much to ask?

That's a Yamato gimmick. Toynami has never done that, no matter how much I would buy it

This is true for the most part but let's not forget they made a YF-1R toy with a 5000 piece count. There's some chance Toynami might go beyond the norm... although I agree it's HIGHLY unlikely.

This is true for the most part but let's not forget they made a YF-1R toy with a 5000 piece count.

Which is an offical mecha in Robotech. Yeah, that's splitting the hair mighty fine, but it's a far cry from Yamato's incessent rereleasing of repaint after repaint. As you can tell, I'm not that fond of that marketing ploy.

From what it seems, Toynami needed a partner on this to help keep cost low. Someone at HG told me (Tommy Yune) back when it was just Toynami's baby that "if it's going to come out, the proble we are having is that it's going to cost upward of $200-250.

That being said, it seems like Toynami couldn't get it done without getting a partner in it. Aoshima's stake is that they get exclusive rights to sell in Japan, they get the mold to utilize, and what else is good from the blog on rt.com, is that Aoshima will fix some of the problems that the Beta prototype may have had, along with the Alpha problems. So, Aoshima and Toynami are teaming together to make this Beta/Tread. One will color match in the domestic market, and one will color match the Legioss that will be distributed in the Japanese market. See, now I want the Aoshima ones, they're gonna be built better. :angry:

Ok but let me get this straight: will toynami release a second release alpha with aoshima-type fixes?

That might be what tips the existing customer towards forking out more money: if they know they will be getting a better quality alpha, it might be worth making these aoshima ones be available under the robotech name.

Most people who own the alpha know the price is so low as to never go back up in value anyway. The reason they limited the number is due to knowing only a fan would buy them, not because they want to make the fan feel special by making them limited edition or anything :p.

Existing owners of alphas would balance being pissed at the fact they own a inferior alpha (and tricked that it was LE) vs the chance to get a better one. (be honest the majority of you out there would rather trade quality for something that is 'rare'. Since it's the very demand for an item by the masses that boosts its value on ebay more than anything)

All they have to do is call the newer release a new version. (more accessories) A bit like how you have yf21 and 'yf21 w fast pack' from yamato.. The extra missiles are the thing that makes it different from the original alphas. :p

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Existing owners of alphas would balance being pissed at the fact they own a inferior alpha (and tricked that it was LE) vs the chance to get a better one.

:rolleyes:

Actually, all I want is Aoshima to release the hands separately. Failing that, hopefully someone would be willing to recast them. The other "improvements", what we know of them, I can skip.

Some thoughts:

1) The Toynami MPC Alphas actually are doing pretty well in the secondary market. Anyone who cleaned up shop at the RT.com $39.99 sale can now make an easy profit. Scott MPCs easily go above MSRP.

2) I don't think it has been implied anywhere that an improved version of the Toynami MPC Alpha is going to come out (with the possible exception of the two announced Shadow Chronicles variants). I think Robotech fans are stuck with the Alpha Toynami originally gave them.

3) Aoshima's Legioss may very well be made available to fans at RT.com but for some reason I doubt it will get a re-packaging treatment as an RT product. For one, the Aoshima doesn't look nearly as close to the vehicle in the show as the Toynami product does (and honestly, RT fans seem easily confused with stuff like that). For another, by keeping it labeled a GCM product they can deflect some of the ire at Toynami's "masterpieces" not being as good as the Aoshima toys.

Edited by jenius

They'd be smart to not package it the same. I am so tired of paying up the wazoo for a stupid box with Tommy Yune art on it. I'd rather have a good quality toy. If Aoshima makes the better joints and leg connectors, I'm dumping all my Alphas for those. I think Toynami's reputation for transformable toys has all but shattered. I'll definitely wait on the word back on the Aoshima Legioss fighters, but for now, at least Aoshima has some fixes and some word on the production of the Beta/Tread. I look forward to this looking right. :D

Toynami's reputation for transformable toys has all but shattered.

Rather like the toy themselves. :p

I doubt that the S.C. Alphas are anything more than recolors with no improvements. Looks like Aoshima will be getting some of my money for a blue Legioss/Tread.

I will wait for the first reviews. I finally got around to opening a Shadow MPC I picked up a while back and parts fell apart as I opened it. It's # 1665 or something. Sheesh. I transformed it, and it just looks like garbage in battroid mode. If I can find the small piece, I'm transforming it back to fighter and leaving it like that. I should just have someone build me some static pose models.

I really hope Aoshima and CMS will get this right.

I think that the decision to go with Aoshima and Cm's is a really good move.

I feel very comfortable buying from something from them as oppose hoping

that Toynami gets it right.

The Shadow is my favorite, and the one with the fewer QC issues of all my four Alphas. Mine transforms nice and easy and besides, since it has no sensor pod is the only one that's perfect transformation. :D

I wonder why neither Aoshima or CM's aren't making it. It'd look sick with it's own Tread.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

The Shadow is my favorite, and the one with the fewer QC issues of all my four Alphas. Mine transforms nice and easy and besides, since it has no sensor pod is the only one that's perfect transformation. :D

Not like mine :(

I felt a very depressing feeling when i realized i paid 60 bucks for a toy that while in fighter mode the nose sticks way up in the air leaving the landing gear a good 1/2 an inch off the ground. But hey the box is uber-cool :lol:

Toynami will never get me to buy any more of their "masterpieces". The only products from them i'll ever get are their 1/100s and (not really their product) the Popbox 12 inch Macross character figures.

So does anyone think if Toynami will make any Beta annoucements at Anime Expo or Comic Con? I'm thinking of going to Anime Expo next week and HG will be hosting a panel again.

I wonder why neither Aoshima or CM's aren't making it. It'd look sick with it's own Tread.

My Shadow had the worst QC out of my 3 Alphas. It came with a badly warped neck piece, which meant the head was wonky in battroid mode. The gunpod fell apart as well. There was one other problem, but I forget what it was. I junked the thing within a few weeks of receiving it.

Luck of the draw with Alpha QC I guess.

Graham

You'll definitely have to let us know.

Well I finally registered for Saturday online, so I guess I'll report anything interesting from the HG panel at AX on Saturday. I'm hoping to do a badge pick-up on Thursday so I won't have to wait in line Sat. morning, so I'm gonna take the wife with me so I can use the carpool lane to Long Beach.

That's cool, I said it a while ago that the only way you could get battloid to work was to go around the nosecone... looks like Toynami came to the same conclusion. Kinda looks like that stand will come with the toy also...

yeah, that stand is pretty tailored made to fit that coupling arm. I thought it looked pretty good overall. sorry about the hazy shots, that display case was pretty nasty from people's handprints.

Thanks for the pics, eugimon! (I also saw 'em when I was lurking on the Nexus ;) )

Any word on when they're gonna release this? Or is it the standard vague answer we've come to "love" and expect from Toynami?

Edited by Mog

Thanks for the pics, eugimon! (I also saw 'em when I was lurking on the Nexus ;) )

Any word on when they're gonna release this? Or is it the standard vague answer we've come to "love" and expect from Toynami?

Vaporware? :huh:

Hahaha! Looks like Toynami posed the Battloid Beta in "A" stance to hush the people that said it couldn't do it. That hip joint still looks wrong IMHO. Too weak even aesthetically.

As for the coupling arm, looks like it won't fit in the Beta, wich means more accesories fliyng around like the sensor pod and the gun clip. The way the head flips down in battloid mode is very poor and looks bad. The stand is a great idea tho'.