Toynami:

The only problem is that I really don't like CMs design for the Alpha and Beta. Too wonky and artsy for my taste. I was lucky enough to get a defect-free MPC Alpha and I love it to death.

Could you post some pics of it?

Could you post some pics of it?

I should clarify, by defect-free I mean that the joints are tight and there's no noticable paint miss-applications. it hasn't fallen apart with transformation nor exploded in the box during shipping. It still has the normal design issues like the bannana back. But I still count myself lucky given the horror stories.

Yeah, Toynami's sculpt is spot on. Too bad about the design. I have all four of the originals, no big QC issues fortunately, but I'm too waiting for CMs to overdo Toynami. As for CMs sculpt, remember that they pulled back those prototypes a long time ago and haven't showed nothing since then, so we might be in for a surprise. Not that I mind their sculpt that much. I've only hated the intakes, really.

Along with the intakes, I remember CM's other issues being as follows:

1) Legioss in fighter mode looks badly out of proportion (nose section too stretch out, back part mashed/squashed too close together).

2) Legioss/Tread connected combo wasn't horizontally flush.

And might be a minor nit for most people, but the Tread cockpit was a little on the small side.

As I've said before, I prefer the Toynami asthetic design just a bit more than CM's. It's just that Toynami's track record in other areas (timeliness, materials used, QC standards, sturdiness of overall toy, updates to fans, etc.) pretty much chucks that design/look advantage down the toilet.

I hated the way CMs Beta looked like someone put it in a vice and squished it front to back; too short lengthwise and too tall height-wise. That more than any other specific design feature made me hate it. Same thing with their Alpha, it was way too tall and skinny, which resulted in a stretched out fighter mode.

Along with the intakes, I remember CM's other issues being as follows:

1) Legioss in fighter mode looks badly out of proportion (nose section too stretch out, back part mashed/squashed too close together).

2) Legioss/Tread connected combo wasn't horizontally flush.

And might be a minor nit for most people, but the Tread cockpit was a little on the small side.

As I've said before, I prefer the Toynami asthetic design just a bit more than CM's. It's just that Toynami's track record in other areas (timeliness, materials used, QC standards, sturdiness of overall toy, updates to fans, etc.) pretty much chucks that design/look advantage down the toilet.

You're right about the ones they showed before. However, from what I can remember they are doing a complete overhaul, so who knows if we'll end up with something more traditional than what was shown. I always kinda felt like they just threw the alpha together so they would have something to show off at all b/c it wasn't up to their usually high standards of accurateness.

You're right about the ones they showed before. However, from what I can remember they are doing a complete overhaul, so who knows if we'll end up with something more traditional than what was shown. I always kinda felt like they just threw the alpha together so they would have something to show off at all b/c it wasn't up to their usually high standards of accurateness.

I think I'd believe that more if I hadn't seen what they'd done to the Invid mecha, giving it that weird non-accurate texture and trying to tell us it was "better".

To protostar8: The thing about CM's old Legioss and Tread designs were that they both looked really great in soldier mode (bulky, burly, and bad-ass). So, I don't believe that the Legioss was just thrown together.

I don't mind CM's style all that much. But I really hope CM's reworks the Legioss' fighter mode with better proportions and completely overhauls that Legioss/Tread connection.

And to Toynami (since this is a thread about their Beta): RATCHET-JOINTS ON THE SHOULDERS AND KNEES!!!!! AND SOLID, BALL-SOCKET HIPS ALA THE 1/48 YAMATOS!!!!

I think I'd believe that more if I hadn't seen what they'd done to the Invid mecha, giving it that weird non-accurate texture and trying to tell us it was "better".

I actually think that was Megahouse that did that.

And to clarify, when said I thought that CM threw that together, I think they had the parts pretty much done, but hadn't taken the time to fix any major issues and just wanted it for display to show people they were making a set. I don't think they just grabbed spare parts and slapped one together, which is what my post sounded like now that I read it again.

I actually think that was Megahouse that did that.

Yep. In those pics you can see the Megahouse Rei with Mint next to the Invid.

Personally I liked CM's Tread proto better than the Toynami. Hope CM only changes the big nose, fitting and boobs on the Legios and doesn't touch the Tread unless they come up with a better linking between the two.

If Toynami hadn’t taken so loooong to go ahead with the Beta, I would have probably bought one since I always wanted one. Now their offering just seems kinda boring compared to the dynamic looking CM .

• 3 months later...

Pre-order for the Toynami Tread at BBTS? Is this confirmation it is coming?

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;mode=retail

Arrives 3rd quarter 2008

Toynami’s Masterpiece Collection continues with the long-awaited Beta Fighter! This fully transformable collectible converts from Fighter mode to Battloid mode, and attaches to the previously released Masterpiece Alpha Fighter to create an impressively large fighter craft!

• Fully poseable

• Transformable into three

configurations, Fighter Mode, Battloid Mode and VTOL Mode

• Sturdy die-cast and plastic construction

• Trademark “book-style” packaging

*****NOTE - Third picture shows Beta Fighter with Alpha Fighter - sold separately.

Product Number: TOY10201

Shipping Weight: 5.60 pounds

Only $80? That has to be a mistake. Last month at Toy Fair they were saying it would retail for about $150:

http://www.collectiondx.com/node/2230

(I preordered one anyway, hoping BBTS honors their mistakes for the sake of hobos. ;p)

I've preordered items from BBTS in the past that they put an incorrect price on and they've always honored the preorder price.

$80 is very surprising for this, that's almost half the price that was reported.

How are the Aoshima Alphas? Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this.

Judging by the posts and pics from people on this forum who have purchased them recently, they sound and look like they have worse QC than the Toynami's did. I was toying with picking up a blue one, but those posts put me off the idea.

Judging by the posts and pics from people on this forum who have purchased them recently, they sound and look like they have worse QC than the Toynami's did. I was toying with picking up a blue one, but those posts put me off the idea.

Thank you! I am glad that I did not waste another $100

I'm probably foolish for hoping, but I was wishing they'd re-release the Scott Alpha. Buying a blue Beta/Tread without owning one just doesn't feel right.

True. And it would be nice if they released one with better QC.

I still think Toynami has at least a few thousand blue Alphas they didn't sell originally. I may have asked this before but what's the highest number Scott MPC anyone on the board has? All of mine are numbered 1-4000.