Transformers the Movie

178 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen it, what did you think?

• It kicked ass!
    • Good, but not as good as the original.
    • Meh.
    • I want Grimlock to step on Michael Bay.

TFW2005 reports they're close to picking Welker to voice Megs? About frigging time. Jeez.

Fans rejoice, the movie gods have listen to you, okay maybe it was just Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg who listened, but word is that Frank Welker will be the leader of the Decepticons, Megatron.

Multiple studio sources have confirmed to the IESB that Frank Welker is days away from signing on the dotted line to voice our beloved robotic villain of the 80’s, Megatron, in the upcoming Michael Bay film Transformers.

We know that since day one it has been the desire of Producers Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto to bring Peter Cullen and Frank Welker both back to the franchise that they helped build.

One of our sources tells the IESB that Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg never expected the legions of Transformers fans to rally behind both Frank and Peter the way they have, fans have been vocal and their message went all the way to the top. We should expect an official announcement very soon.

It seems like forever ago when we first brought our readers the news about a live action Transformers movie. Then, Variety reported that Michael Bay was in negotiations to direct and finally our notorious interview when we confirmed that Michael Bay would indeed be directing the film.

Fast forward to the present, the film is in post-production and we are just a few months away from seeing giant fartin’ robots on the big screen. I’m stoked! Does anybody still use that word?

If you read the thread at TFW2005, Hugo Weaving is apparently also in the running for Megatron. At least he was two weeks ago. We shall see.

"You humans are a virus." "It's over... Mr. Prime."

okay, I think hugo weaving would be awesome.

Hugo works after all if they hardly look like the transformers does it really need to sound exactly like them?

true. let's be slavishly loyal to a 20 year old cartoon. I hope the movie has the part where the decepticons staple prime's arm to a skyscrapper.

(what exactly was wrong with prime being a red, flat nosed semi? how does that help the movie obey the laws of physics?)

Well let's see, a flat nosed semi would be quite a bit smaller then a long nose semi meaning Prime would have been dwarfed by the main Decepticon characters? Hasn't Prime been depicted as a variety of trucks throughout the years? He has even been depicted as a friggin' ape!

exactly how is ANOTHER telling of the g1 transformers going to be any better than 2 origin storys for the constructicons? how is it not exactly the same as fracturing the franchise even more?

My whole point with the Constructicons was that there was many inconsistencies and giant plot holes with the Transformers cartoons. There was not a solid story or plot like with, let's say for example, Macross. Each episode of Transformers would have an alternating writer each time.

Ultimately when it comes down to it, the Transformers was a 30 minute commercial for a toy line which was (initially) a bastardization of multiple toy lines that had NOTHING to do with each other (Diaclone, Macross, etc.). I guess in a certain way, Transformers is a close relative to Robotech! :p

Again, this is an original story and take on the Transformers characters and universe, NOT something to be a sequel/prequel to any of the existing cartoons (though it's nice to have many of the familiar characters and having some of their voices reprised by the original voice actors). Enjoy it, or hate it, on its own merits.

Well let's see, a flat nosed semi would be quite a bit smaller then a long nose semi meaning Prime would have been dwarfed by the main Decepticon characters? Hasn't Prime been depicted as a variety of trucks throughout the years? He has even been depicted as a friggin' ape!

My whole point with the Constructicons was that there was many inconsistencies and giant plot holes with the Transformers cartoons. There was not a solid story or plot like with, let's say for example, Macross. Each episode of Transformers would have an alternating writer each time.

Ultimately when it comes down to it, the Transformers was a 30 minute commercial for a toy line which was (initially) a bastardization of multiple toy lines that had NOTHING to do with each other (Diaclone, Macross, etc.). I guess in a certain way, Transformers is a close relative to Robotech! :p

Again, this is an original story and take on the Transformers characters and universe, NOT something to be a sequel/prequel to any of the existing cartoons (though it's nice to have many of the familiar characters and having some of their voices reprised by the original voice actors). Enjoy it, or hate it, on its own merits.

Thank you. And in fact the G2 convoy toy was a long nose truck.

Thank you. And in fact the G2 convoy toy was a long nose truck.

Only some G2 Primes.

Prime had multiple G2 toys. Including a reissue of G1 Prime with a black trailer instead of a gray one.

And a Hot Wheels-size Italian sportscar.

Ahhh, G2 Prime with the noisebox and the black trailer. Up until a few months ago the box still made the noises. I've gotta try and replace the batteries and see if it works again. :D

And yes, Hugo Weaving as Megatron would be awesome. If he doesn't get Megatron, I hope he gets one of the Decepticons.

Awesome patent info on U.N.C.L.E./Megs/whatever as well!

Edited by meh_cd

Well, in an effort to keep G1 purists quiet, maybe they could have separate showings of the original Transformers movie? That is after all what they want-more G1 action on the big screen. Meanwhile the rest of the human race can go and watch the new one...

flat nosed semi would be quite a bit smaller then a long nose semi meaning Prime would have been dwarfed by the main Decepticon characters

The long nosed semi excuse is lame, using a long nosed model wouldn't make prime any taller in the movie, now that they're already morphing stuff & not "transforming" <_<

with stuff "magically" appearing, disappearing & moving around during transformations, how exactly would you know if there are the same number of parts in the bot mode ?

so... i would've taken " 'cause we wanted to change stuff ! " as a better explanation.

:)

PS:

if Weaving makes the cut, that would be at least 1 good reason to see this movie :D

EDITED

Edited by UN_MARINE

The long nosed semi excuse is lame, using a long nosed model wouldn't make prime any taller in the movie, now that they're already morphing stuff & not "transforming" <_<

with stuff "magically" appearing, disappearing & moving around during transformations, how exactly would you know if there are the same number of parts in the bot mode ?

so... i would've taken " 'cause we wanted to change stuff ! " as a better explanation.

I thought it was a matter of mass and volume. The longnose cab occupies about twice the space as the flatnose. As I understand it, the movie TF's are bound by mass restrictions (thus, no Megs handgun). By having Optimus as a longnose, that gives you potentially twice as much metal to move around and make your robot.

I honestly don't have too much of a problem with the new designs. The TF toys were limited in moving reasonably sized pieces of plastic & metal on toy hinges. The cartoon characters were stylized versions of those toys. Why should full-size "attempting to make them real" versions be limited by those constraints? Someone else mentioned just how many small parts you could fit in a car door, let alone the engine compartment, trunk, etc. My concern is the faces of the bot forms. There have been many styles of TF faces, but I've always been partial to the Optimus/Roadmaster/DepthCharge style. I bet the "battlemasks" will look awesome, then slide back to reveal dorkiness.

The other concern, of course, is that it's Michael Bay. But that pretty much goes without saying...

People need to get over G1.... seriously. It was cool for the time, but some of us don't want to see the same thing rehashed over and over. Plus, while I love the G1 cartoon, for the most part it was pretty stupid. The old designs would look dumb next to live actors. So if a badly animated show with no detail on the characters and several inconsistencies in both plot and mechanical design can be successful, why can't a popcorn flick by Micheal Bay be successful?

Most of the new designs I really don't have a problem with. I think they nailed Prime & Bumblebee pretty good. I have yet to see Ratchet, Jazz, or Ironhide. Barricade looks pretty cool like twisted version of Prowl. I still don't like Megatron because you can't tell what his alt. form will be. What does he transform into?

People need to get over G1.... seriously. It was cool for the time, but some of us don't want to see the same thing rehashed over and over. Plus, while I love the G1 cartoon, for the most part it was pretty stupid. The old designs would look dumb next to live actors. So if a badly animated show with no detail on the characters and several inconsistencies in both plot and mechanical design can be successful, why can't a popcorn flick by Micheal Bay be successful?

One thing I don't get though: while the producers have decided to go with different mechanical designs for the movie than G1 designs, you would think that they would go with a bunch of A-list stars to provide the voices, yet they seem to be going out of their way to get the original VA's from G1 to reprise their roles. To me, that's no really letting go of G1.

I think what is nonsense for the entire thing is the complete BS they feed everybody in those little web interviews on the website.

"we love G1 and everything about it and we tried to keep it as close as...yadda yadda yadda" Gargle glass.

You made new designs. You know you did. Just admit and we can move on.

I don't believe that all of the dissent over the movie neccessarily stems from an overzealous affection for the original cartoon. I'm not all that enthusiastic about this movie, and yet I don't really have that much love for the original show, either. I loved it as a kid, but having rewatched episodes long since, I've really lost pretty much all interest. The old movie is still fun, but the tv series was pretty terrible. Much more miss than hit.

I really dislike the designs they've shown. Pretty much all of them, without exception. I think they're aesthetically awful and if they were going for more alien or more realistic (from a sci-fi flick perspective, of course), I just don't see them as having succeeded in that either. They could have done some nice designs that would have both looked good next to live actors, and resonated much better with older fans, while at the same time not neccessarily being the same old thing.

It's a balancing act, certainly, and you'll never please everyone. Still, it seems to me that they put a lot more people off of this movie than they otherwise could have. Not just with the designs, what's been leaked of the script so far sounds like a particularly bad episode of the original cartoon.

Really, my biggest beef with this movie is that Hasbro is putting off releasing the Transformers toys I do want in favour of the rather awful looking movie toys.

I don't believe that all of the dissent over the movie neccessarily stems from an overzealous affection for the original cartoon. I'm not all that enthusiastic about this movie, and yet I don't really have that much love for the original show, either. I loved it as a kid, but having rewatched episodes long since, I've really lost pretty much all interest. The old movie is still fun, but the tv series was pretty terrible. Much more miss than hit.

I really dislike the designs they've shown. Pretty much all of them, without exception. I think they're aesthetically awful and if they were going for more alien or more realistic (from a sci-fi flick perspective, of course), I just don't see them as having succeeded in that either. They could have done some nice designs that would have both looked good next to live actors, and resonated much better with older fans, while at the same time not neccessarily being the same old thing.

It's a balancing act, certainly, and you'll never please everyone. Still, it seems to me that they put a lot more people off of this movie than they otherwise could have. Not just with the designs, what's been leaked of the script so far sounds like a particularly bad episode of the original cartoon.

Really, my biggest beef with this movie is that Hasbro is putting off releasing the Transformers toys I do want in favour of the rather awful looking movie toys.

you got to admit that most people are pouring forth the hate because the designs are not more faithful to their cartoon counterparts. IMO, the original designs aren't going to translate to live action. Many of the cars are not going to make any sense interacting with people as most/all of the internal volume is taken up by legs and arms and heads and other bits. Sure people bring up Alt/BT line... but look at one in bot mode and tell me it won't look funny to see robots running on seats turned into feet or their torso's. I love my jaz BT, but if he were real, he would have leather seats as love handles. Even MPC convoy is wonky in car mode... he only has one seat for example and his passanger would have to sit cross legged in the cab.

The transformers benefited from anime magic like no other.. magically dynamic size, volume and bulk appearing and disapearing, body parts materializing from no where or disapearing to no where.

One thing I don't get though: while the producers have decided to go with different mechanical designs for the movie than G1 designs, you would think that they would go with a bunch of A-list stars to provide the voices, yet they seem to be going out of their way to get the original VA's from G1 to reprise their roles. To me, that's no really letting go of G1.

Look up homage and get back to me. Honestly, they could have gotten anyone so I'm glad they're digging up the old timers. I'm playing wait and see on this one... but I'm liking what I've seen so far.

Regarding the whole disapearing and reappearing body parts in the Cartoons. Now I whole heartedly agree that the Anime magic crown should go to Transformers, but IIRC there was an episode that had an Insecticon whose weapon materialized into his hand with a nifty sound affect. This says to me that there could be some sort of matter control. If SoundWave can produce electronic fields that can crush matter to produce pure energy then simply magicing up you gun or squishing your atoms into smaller spaces cant be too hard. So the one real beef about size dosent really stand.

The only real beef I ever (and still do ) have about Tf toys Vs the Anime is scale of the toys. 20 years it took to get a range that had an actual scale (BT/Alts) even when I was younger I though that that was a bad thing. The truck that made up the main part of Menasor was suposed to be the same scale as Optimus for example but as a toy it was silly as he was tiny Every body except for Megatron and say Soundwave and other size changing bots should have been on the same scales cars and trucks the same scale and the planes should have had their own scale. I know for sure that everyone would love a 1/24 Starscream But who now or back in 1984 could have aforded one.

Saying that they didnt want to deal with the dimension size shift is a bit lame and a slight cop out. Giving the bots cool new alts is great, modern vehicles will mean something to everyone watching. Afterall you can explain away most things in Hollywood. Im warmed by the fact that M.B has spent the gross income of a small country on this film so hopefully he will get his cash back and go on to do more TF stuff.

Im just not so sure about the head thing. I need a face that I can love or recognize. Maybe not the old heads but something humanish. Im sure with time I will love them all but at the mo they are a bit cold to me.

Edited by big F

I'm not a big Transformers fan but I've always thought a big movie with transforming robots would be cool to watch. But the designs as I see it go against everything I like about giant transforming robots, the fun of seeing where the parts end up after changing shape, plus not to mention the robot designs themselves are hideous.

Then you add Michael Bay to the mix... man he's just a bad director that knows how to put good postcard shots into movies, but over all his movies are overwhelmingly cheesy. One postcard shot is good, but one after the other over a bad story makes my eyes want to explode. I think I threw up during Pearl Harbor, after the the third time I left.

And as far as G1 designs looking bad photorealistically, I wholeheartedly disagree...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngLOIOSqRvg

yes yes, everyone drags out that fan video as some sort of proof that G1 rules.

so where would his head be in car mode? inside the cabin. Hello prime, may I use your head as arm rest? And what about the other transformers? We have megs and soundwave with their magically dynamic size and mass. Ironhide's actual transformation is just plain wonky and again, where do all the limbs go in vehicle mode? For the autobots, most of them have the torso and legs folded up inside the cabin.

I'm not a big Transformers fan but I've always thought a big movie with transforming robots would be cool to watch. But the designs as I see it go against everything I like about giant transforming robots, the fun of seeing where the parts end up after changing shape, plus not to mention the robot designs themselves are hideous.

Then you add Michael Bay to the mix... man he's just a bad director that knows how to put good postcard shots into movies, but over all his movies are overwhelmingly cheesy. One postcard shot is good, but one after the other over a bad story makes my eyes want to explode. I think I threw up during Pearl Harbor, after the the third time I left.

And as far as G1 designs looking bad photorealistically, I wholeheartedly disagree...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngLOIOSqRvg

Can't watch that right now. But yeah... I own G1 on DVD and in digital comic form and having the rear half of a truck as a calf/foot may cut it for toys and a children's show, but obvious transformations it don't do it for me anymore. I like the organic look of the robot modes, they won't have to have the show's magic morphing faceplates either with the new look.'

Edit: Ohhhh hahahah it's that Prime video. Yeah... it's kinda cool as a demo... but see Eugimon's post. I agree with his sentiments.

Edited by Max Jenius

And what about G1 Megatron? Galvatron or G2 Megatron would work, but G1 Megatron would be out of the question just like Soundwave and co. Blaster and his cassettes would be gone. Perceptor would be a no go.

You know what I just realized after all of this time? Thundercracker and Skywarp aren't in the movie. I can't believe I didn't realize that earlier. Damnit. :(

You know what I just realized after all of this time? Thundercracker and Skywarp aren't in the movie. I can't believe I didn't realize that earlier. Damnit. :(

What about Jazz and Hound?

Can't watch that right now. But yeah... I own G1 on DVD and in digital comic form and having the rear half of a truck as a calf/foot may cut it for toys and a children's show, but obvious transformations it don't do it for me anymore. I like the organic look of the robot modes, they won't have to have the show's magic morphing faceplates either with the new look.'

Edit: Ohhhh hahahah it's that Prime video. Yeah... it's kinda cool as a demo... but see Eugimon's post. I agree with his sentiments.

I dont care about G1 or whatzits... but to make them shaped organicly to me defeats the putpose...

maybe Eugimon has never seen an Alt or BT... they have seats and room for riders. And who the heck cares about riders... they drive themselves. how many people were ever in a TF in the cartoon... Spike and his dad. Those guys dont' even know how to take off those damn construction hats. And you're telling me that changing into those new forms in the movie gives Eugimon a point? Why doesn't he ask that about those flying scraps of metal. Ugly is ugly... which those things are.

I've never like the moving metal faces. That's why I prefer Macross.

I have'nt seen trasnformers (animated) in a long time, but did anyone dig the Optimus Prime robot mode?

http://i12.tinypic.com/2a98vog.jpg

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/imagehosting...fdb28f33771.jpg

Anyways, I'm liking bonecrusher's logo. B))

IPB Image

Now what are the odds that those "Buffalo" operators in Iraq or Afghanistan, who happen to be TF fans, are going to paint this logo on thier vehicle. :lol:

Edited by grss1982

The logo is cool

i just checked out that Megatron CGI full body shot

man that is something. <_<

The argument has been that G1 needed a facelift

and well they got one, only they forgot to add a new one.

[attachmentid=39519]

post-3216-1168566982_thumb.jpg