WonderFest News and "non"Recon Thread

Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

And this whole Macross situation sucks so damn much.

Hope this is not too offtopic, but seriously, what can we do about it? I want more toys, I'm willing to work hard to convince Yamato.

But the Garland looks cool. Posed a bit weird though.

Garland does look cool. I seriously hope Yamato does not drop the license. Can you imagine not doing the two seaters ater having come so far!

They built every frickin iteration in 1/60 sclae and they already have the body done all it needs is a new cockpits, heatshield head and boosters, etc.

With the Transfromers line they each robot is different, what's the big deal?

All I can say is thank god for Captain America.

I don't know what we could do more about it... pretty much anything macross related put out by Yamato has sold out... and in some instances, demand has been high enough to even have reissues... so it can't be that yamato isn't making money off of the fan base...

It's either personal on yamato's part... they don't like macross, or they don't like macross fans so they're just leaving us. Or... someone high up doesn't like yamato anymore and is trying to get them to lose the license.

I figure it's more likely that someone high up in the macross food chain has grown tired of yamato and their half assed ways and wants the license to go somewhere else... I find it unlikely that yamato would chose to abandon a cash cow like macross.. especially when they don't have other toys to come in and immediately fill in the product line.

that garland won't come out anywhere near enough to fill in the gap left by the Macross Zero toys, not to mention the YF-19 fp and the monster.

Honestly, as much as I love it, Macross just has been on the decline... How many people do you know actually liked M0 anywhere near as much as the original or Mac Plus?

Perhaps the latter spoiled us, I don't know. I'm guess Yamato saw that the franchise just really lacked the spirit that originally propelled it. To me, the newer stuff (zero, seven) just seemed like half-assed effort. Of course, IMO

The whole Macross toys going away thing is not that much of a surprise to me, especially with the whole liscencing fiasco, no one can distribute Macross toys outside of Japan, therefore limiting them to the Asian market. If HG had just said back in the day that Yamato and the others could sell Macross products outside Asia, but had to pay them a small royalty we would probably see many more macross products for sale and distribution, and at a lower cost too.

Damm thats sad news indeed. I hope the "golden days" of Macross isnt over. I sinsirly hope that Yamato will continue to make 1/48s Only the future will tell.

Thinking about it now....im glad i have a whole set of mint 1/48s in the closet. Cause if this era of 1/48s is truly over...IMO i think the 1/48 is the best interpetation of the VF-1´s ever made. Sad to se it end here, never really going futur to the other Valks (YF-19, YF-21, VF-0 etc)

I guess it is truly up to MW. to create (with the aide of its most talented members) to make the toys Yamato naver made, hopefully we can complete the 1/48 VF-1 line.

- Jin

...which reminds me, i need to get a few more FPs.

Well, I dont know about the rest of you guys, but I am still excited about the release of the 1/100 VF-0S from Yamato.....I dont think the toy is that bad and it is something from Macross Zero, I think we should at least be happy with that, but I am sure that we would all like more.

Thanks for the news, at least it is something..

Twich

So who was the company trying to get the mospeada license?

With the possibility of a sequel apearing to that in japan (I think I read this here somewhere), maybe we can expect a line of legioss toys?

As for macross toys: weren't some of you saying a while ago that the market for macross stuff is kind of flooded before? :D

shame no vf19fp news. So many people would buy this. Before they completely abandon macross I would most want to see this released.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Ok, now I`m awake, wide eyed and bushy tailed. In the process of downloading pics from my camera. In the mean time I thought I`d add some of my thoughts.

The Mospeda 1/72 Inbit Eagar and 1/18 Bartly Ride armor resin kits were going to be done by Hero Robot Generation. They did other ride armor in the past.

I think its a bit premature to call the death of Macross toys from Yamato. The indications are that they are slowing down, but not completely stopping. Just like with the 1/48 Roy that they re-re-released it is possible for them to change their current stance. The big problem I see is that the recent Macross releases have not been selling. If a toy line is not selling well they have little reason to agressively put new product out.

Another even bigger factor is Big West. It seems many had trouble getting licences approved. This is probably one of the factors that Yamato has to take into consideration when making new toys. Toys from Macross require more resculpts than usual since Kawamori is so particular now. That makes development costs much higher, and eats up potential profit.

The big problem I see is that the recent Macross releases have not been selling. If a toy line is not selling well they have little reason to agressively put new product out.

Another even bigger factor is Big West. It seems many had trouble getting licences approved. This is probably one of the factors that Yamato has to take into consideration when making new toys. Toys from Macross require more resculpts than usual since Kawamori is so particular now. That makes development costs much higher, and eats up potential profit.

I dunno, probably the only recent Yamato Macross items that haven't really sold well have been the 2 x Q-Raus. I guess the YF-21FP didn't do too good either as it's still pretty easy to find. Most of the 1/48 toys seem to have sold pretty well though (sold out in many cases) and I think sales of the VB-6 have been ok.

While Macross Zero may not have been as poplar with fans as Macross Plus, it seems like Yamato are not giving it a chance to see if the toys would be popular and sell well. I still hold that if they release decent VF-0 & SV-51 toys, they will sell well. Of course the one surefire hot seller would be a nicely sculpted YF-19FP, but Yamato seems to have lost sight of this.

I completely agree with Howard about the license and approval issue though. When I was still close with Yamato, one of their biggest complaints was that since the 1/48, Kawamori had become much more anal about approving the toy sculpts and often reject the sculpts several times, require time-consuming resculpts before giving final approval. The problem is made worse because Kawamori is an extremely busy guy at it sometimes takes up to 2 months to book a 30 minute appointment with him just to get his comments on the latest sculpt modifications.

Graham

1) Is the reason for the delay wth the 1/100 VF-0S due to further resculpting?

QUOTE]

1. He didn't ask - But the last problem was getting it from Sculpt to prototype.

Rob

Strange, given that the 1/100 VF-0S should have fewer parts and be slightly more simple than a perfect variable transforming toy, I would have thought that getting it from sculpt to prototype should have presented less problems than normal.

Graham

The problem is made worse because Kawamori is an extremely busy guy at it sometimes takes up to 2 months to book a 30 minute appointment with him just to get his comments on the latest sculpt modifications.

Graham

So Kawamori DOES have the final say on his toys. :rolleyes:

The problem is made worse because Kawamori is an extremely busy guy at it sometimes takes up to 2 months to book a 30 minute appointment with him just to get his comments on the latest sculpt modifications.

Graham

So Kawamori DOES have the final say on his toys. :rolleyes:

I don't think Kawamori has the final say on all Macross products, but I know that he certainly did on some of the Yamato Macross toys, such as the 1/48 series.

Graham

Another reason I believe why Yamato has not been pumping out too many new Macross toys because recent trends have been smaller and cheaper toys, such as Gachapons :unsure:

Selling in quantatiy is better than quality, not to mention the high cost in research and development in those big transformable toys ;)

Andy :)

Another reason I believe why Yamato has not been pumping out too many new Macross toys because recent trends have been smaller and cheaper toys, such as Gachapons :unsure:

Selling in quantatiy is better than quality, not to mention the high cost in research and development in those big transformable toys ;)

Andy :)

This is very true. The biggest single class of toy I saw at WF was gashapon. Over half of Yamatos display was small trading figures or gashapon sized toys. This is most certainly a major trend that will continue as long as the economy demands low priced small toys.

Dang, that Yamato news really sucks. It's not unexpected but I think most of us had some hope for a brighter Macross toy future. I was really hoping they could do a SV-51 toy of some sort - even if it came in a bunch of pieces like the VF-0S. If only they could of done better with the VF-0S and got it out before the series ended. I think that would help bring some extra attention to the series and make them both better sellers.

Oh well, it's not like I can afford expensive toys anymore. Perhaps that is what happened to the Macross fan base - they all got marriend and/or had kids. The last Yamato product I bought was a 1/48 VF-1J Hikaru. There are several more I want to get but just don't have the cash.