PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

For those of you who have one, was the retail box sealed at purchase? Was there supposed to be a plastic film on the screen of the PSP? Looks like the one I bought from Game Stop was tampered with but I just want to be sure. :(

Thanks in advance!

Oops! Forgot to ask if the battery was pre charged as well.

My box was sealed with a small piece of tape and there was no plastic flim over the screen. I'm not 100% sure about the battery since I plugged mine right in when I got it. I think it was precharged.

My box was sealed with clear transparent tape, not easy to remove without marring the box, so it should be obvious if someone took the tape off. If there was no tape and no mark I suspect it was just not sealed at the factory. The Battery came with a short charge, enough to set up the system and watch the Demo disc before I plugged it in. There was no plastic film over the screen, but the way the thing is configured they almost would have had to put protective film over the entire unit to keep it from getting fingerprints.

That sort of leads back to yrou fear of tampering. When you pulled it out of the box, it shoudl have been instantly apparent to you if it had been tampered with, because unless they wore latex gloves there would be fingerprints all over it :)

I went and showed mine to my brother and a few friends after work, Wipeout Pure and Spiderman just sold three more PSP's :) This thing is so rad!

I got back an hour and a half ago, messed with it a bit. The glossy black finish will leave finger prints...thank god for cleaning junk.

Played a bit of NFSURivals...yeaaaaahhhhaaaaa I miss my lil Miata.

I'm going back to gamestop after work and I'm going to go get a case for it cause I really feel like this PSP case will scratch the screen a bit or something...I don't feel 100% cofident after such a large investment!

BUT I watched 5 mins of spiderman, and played good 3 and a half of NFSU and I'm liking it so far. But I really need to get other games for it as well...maybe I'll get rid of my SP tomorrow....DS will play advanced games...and cause of that I wont need some of my old GB games....so woot, 1 free game :p

Contents are okay, really easy to figure out too without actually using a manual till you get to wanting to insert your Mem.Stick...but who the hell is really going to read this HUGE manual? I mean.....really?......... :rolleyes: okay if I"m really bored.

The Remote's a joke, you gotta plug it into the PSP to flip around things...bleh....I thought it was an actual mini remote like a Keyfob.

But overall, I'm very happy, AND I was the first one in the store to get it! W00t!

<<<<goes to play

For those of you who have one, was the retail box sealed at purchase? Was there supposed to be a plastic film on the screen of the PSP? Looks like the one I bought from Game Stop was tampered with but I just want to be sure. :(

Thanks in advance!

Oops! Forgot to ask if the battery was pre charged as well.

The battery very much SHOULD have been partially charged.

There is NOTHING worse for a lithim-ion battery than being fully discharged. One full discharge can halve the life of the battery.

no lines at Walmart and there's a ton of them (like 50 units in their glass case) ;)

Well. I just came back from Wal Mart (around 1:30PM) and they're already all sold out. :(

I got mine this morning at Best Buy. But, they were a bunch of pricks and only sold psp's in bundles. The cheapest bunle was $330.00 which I ended up picking up. It consisted of the value pack ($250), a game ($40), a 2 year full value replacement warranty ($40), faceplate screen protector and some sun visor thing with a few UMD covers (pretty much freebies), and a free reward zone card ($9.99 value).

I picked it up, the 2 year warranty wasn't too bad, they'll replace it with any problems and either a) exchange it completely (no send in fixer uppers) or b) give you store credit at the original purchase price. This service costs $45 at Circuit city, so all in all not too bad. I just hate being suckered into "bundles." Other than the warranty, all I paid for is the game and the value pack, the extras were pretty much free.

I'm really impressed so far. The PSP seems like a quality product so far. No dead pixels for me and the first time you ever see the screen light up, its beautiful. I'll pretty much end up selling my DS and games to cover some of the PSP cost (I pretty much only play my GBA games on the DS anyways, and I still have my SP). Watching movies on the PSP during my train commute to and from work should be enjoyable (think: Macross Zero or DYRL!). I just hope more original games come out for the PSP and not just the PS2 "franchises" we see so far.

I got Ridge Racer and Ape Escape. Does anyone reccomend any other games? How about Darkstalkers -- are the controls pretty horrible on the PSP?

Buttons on the PSP are just fine and dandy. I've been playing with it on and off today...(finally got it fully charged) and have to clean up the face plate every time I'm done using it cause I keep leaving finger prints.

I ended up picking one up today. I'm feeling like I spent way too much money... but goddamn is this thing cool! Good thing today was payday :D

I was instantly blown away by the clarity of the screen. The spiderman movie pack-in seemed a bit useless, but if nothing else, it's a great demo of the system's video capabilities! I was also assuming that the games on the demo disc were at least playable... but no such luck there.

I tried out that video conversion utility a bit ago. It's encoding is slow (even on my new Athlon 64 system), but it works quite well. But don't expect to store much on the 32 meg memory stick the PSP comes with. I was barely able to fit a 4 minute music video on it, at the default encoding settings. But it came out looking really good. I shall have to buy a larger memory stick for this thing, so I can watch some anime on it :)

The wireless features are pretty cool, though it seems you can't do much with it by linking it to a wireless internet connection. Looks like firmware updates are about it right now.

Still, I was curious if it'd work with my setup, so I tried connecting it to my Netgear router. It recognised it, but it's still not working... it gives me an error every time I do a 'test connection'

I ended up getting mine at Best Buy. I got there at 3pm, and they still had plenty left. I actually would have gotten it at Fry's, where I work, but they were only selling them in bundles with 2 games (and you couldn't pick the two) for $340. Fry's started the day with a mere 42 systems, and when I left at 3pm, they had only sold 25 or so, I think.

Got mine today. Would have posted awhile ago, but I was doing A LOT of playing around.

For starters, I play tested my games... all eight of them. Some games definately come off better than others on the PSP. Ridge Racer and Wipeout are especially amazing.

Then, for shits and giggles, I took my 512mb Memory Stick and decided to play with the other features. I got most of the Love album by the Juliana Theory, some Penny Arcade strips, and the first two episodes of Turn-A Gundam on there. For pics and mp3s, it was sort of like "yeah, that's nice," but it did feel impressive to watch video on it.

Getting video onto the Memory Stick isn't difficult, BTW, as long as you know what you're doing. (For those of you unsure, I might post some instructions later.)

So far, I haven't had any troubles with the UMD drive popping open, no problems with the analog nub breaking, sticking, or not returning to center, and no problems with the square button. Also, as I said before, the warranty is in fact one year.

If I had any gripes at all, it'd be that I do have a two dead pixels. One is near the bottom, and one is just left and above the center. They're only really noticeable when the screen is very dark, though, so even if we have any leftovers at work, I'm probably just going to keep it. If the rumors about a PSP with a hard drive turn out to be true, maybe I'll trade up then. In the meantime, Wipeout's calling me...

The wireless features are pretty cool, though it seems you can't do much with it by linking it to a wireless internet connection. Looks like firmware updates are about it right now.

Still, I was curious if it'd work with my setup, so I tried connecting it to my Netgear router. It recognised it, but it's still not working... it gives me an error every time I do a 'test connection'

That's odd. I also have a Netgear router, and mine configured no problem. I even checked to see if there was anything downloadable for Wipeout yet... all I got was a "Coming Soon" screen though.

Both Targets in my area had plenty of them to go around. Went to one at lunchtime, had to gave at least 10 of them. Went to the other one after work. They had a bunch of them too, also at least 10 I'd say.

If the price was $150 I'd have not questioned it probably, or at least have not been as hesitant. $250+games no way. Maybe later when the price drops some.

The launch title assortment is impressive however. The DS has been out for months and doesn't have that many interesting titles IMO. Nintendo will have to come out with their next one quick to stay on top of the handheld game.

I was looking for Shockwave in Target, and even broke my no wal-mart rule and looked in there. Didn't go to the game aisle though.

That's odd.  I also have a Netgear router, and mine configured no problem.  I even checked to see if there was anything downloadable for Wipeout yet... all I got was a "Coming Soon" screen though.

I actually figured out what the problem was. I had my router set up to restrict access to all but the mac adresses I specify. And I entered the PSP's address wrong. The PSP's D looks a little too similar to its 0 :p

And I tried doing the PSP's firmware update, but there was no newer version available.

Also, I noticed that there's an option to play games from a memory stick. That's pretty damn cool. Could mean it'll let people write their own homebrew games that can be easily downloaded and played! Even internet apps like a web browser may be possible.

And I tried doing the PSP's firmware update, but there was no newer version available.

There's a firmware update out in Japan. Maybe we'll get one later?

Also, I noticed that there's an option to play games from a memory stick.  That's pretty damn cool.  Could mean it'll let people write their own homebrew games that can be easily downloaded and played!  Even internet apps like a web browser may be possible.

Yeah, no one's really sure what the "Game" option is for the Memory Stick yet... there was some talk that Sony would have downloadable demos, but I don't know if that flew or not. Personally, I kinda want a GBA emulator.

Edited by mikeszekely

got mine today and got untold legends.. this things is sweet. love the screen very crisp and easy to see.. I think it feels better than the DS.. the button placement is jsut right for my hands. no problems with burnt and pixels, sticky buttons or flying UMDs... Spiderman 2 looked great and I could see myself picking some movies up for this thing later on as well.

got mine today and got untold legends.. this things is sweet. love the screen very crisp and easy to see.. I think it feels better than the DS.. the button placement is jsut right for my hands. no problems with burnt and pixels, sticky buttons or flying UMDs... Spiderman 2 looked great and I could see myself picking some movies up for this thing later on as well.

i got dark stalkers. i could not find ridge racer. migh tpick tha tup this weekend.

The launch title assortment is impressive however. The DS has been out for months and doesn't have that many interesting titles IMO. Nintendo will have to come out with their next one quick to stay on top of the handheld game.

Nintendo's been holding DS games from America while releasing them in Japan.

Only theory I've heard is they were gonna start blitzing the market once the PSP hit to suck consumer dollars from Sony.

Well if you have a 802.11G will suport B & G whit no problem i have a 802.11G

router and have no problems whit my psp, if any one needs one the walmart by my house have like 10 sys. tonite just let me know.

Edited by zerocool

We sold one of the three we had yesterday, guy came back today - 3 pixels in the corner weren't working and everyone was going around saying it was the first reported US problem...... Think I'll still hold off until it gets under $100, too much price for too little item

There's a firmware update out in Japan. Maybe we'll get one later?

Also, I noticed that there's an option to play games from a memory stick.  That's pretty damn cool.  Could mean it'll let people write their own homebrew games that can be easily downloaded and played!  Even internet apps like a web browser may be possible.

Yeah, no one's really sure what the "Game" option is for the Memory Stick yet... there was some talk that Sony would have downloadable demos, but I don't know if that flew or not. Personally, I kinda want a GBA emulator.

they got our firmware as an update.

I'm still having trouble getting this thing online. I have a netgear router and set everything on the psp to auto, punched in the SSID and WEP key. So far, the PSP can connect to the router, but gets no IP address. Anyone have similar problems?

i think i'm gonna get a psp once the dead pixel problem is dealt with...hopefully there will be a mod using the memory stick so we'll able to make saves on import games

Edited by Dat Pinche Haro!

i think i'm gonna get a psp once the dead pixel problem is dealt with...hopefully there will be a mod using the memory stick so we'll able to make saves on import games

that depends on the game themselves. very simple action games that just saves what level you was on would have a good chance it can be compatible. rpgs it would be a near miracle for it to work (lang diffence, differnt address for items, differnt items, ect...)

I edited the topic title on this one so we can have one official thread.

I want one..not right away though.

If I were to play Ridge Racers I think I would crack though.

:lol:

No dead pixels on mine. I've read on some other boards that one person had

5 dead pixels...

Ridge Racer is really fun. It has some of the tracks from the PSone games. Plus I think some of them are mixed together(half from Rage Racer/half from R4 for example).

I got a lil squiggly of dead pixels...you really only notice them when the screen goes pure black during a load up...I'll see how much goes over the weekend and if its to much I'm gonna be complaining...so far I think my DS has still like 3 teeny weeny hardly noticable dead pixels.

I got a lil squiggly of dead pixels...you really only notice them when the screen goes pure black during a load up...I'll see how much goes over the weekend and if its to much I'm gonna be complaining...so far I think my DS has still like 3 teeny weeny hardly noticable dead pixels.

Heh... I have a zero tolerance policy for dead pixels. I ordered a NES styled SP for my bro online, and it came with 3 dead pixels in the center of the screen. Luckly, the store was very nice, and replaced the faulty SP with a new (and same style) SP.

Personally, this stuff should be caught at the factory.

If, and when I get a PSP (when it drops to a price that is less than astronomical), I'm keeping my eye out for dead pixels.

Also, is anybody having trouble with their square button? I've heard about the sensor not being positioned exactly under the button on the Japanese units, but I don't know about the North American units...