PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

i think i'm gonna get a psp once the dead pixel problem is dealt with.

It's not actually something that can be dealt with, if I understand correctly. It's not a Sony issue... dead pixels can affect literally any LCD screen. Not sure what causes them, but my computer monitor had one.

A dead pixel can be a a white or colored dot, or simply one pixel on the screen that doesn't light. In my case, on my PSP, it's a light, very small dot. You can only really notice it against a dark screen.

The launch title assortment is impressive however.  The DS has been out for months and doesn't have that many interesting titles IMO.  Nintendo will have to come out with their next one quick to stay on top of the handheld game.

Nintendo's been holding DS games from America while releasing them in Japan.

Only theory I've heard is they were gonna start blitzing the market once the PSP hit to suck consumer dollars from Sony.

That wouldn't pan out, considering that most of their more advertised or more highly anticipated games (including Need for Speed Underground 2, Super Mario Bros, and Metroid Prime Hunters) have been pushed back to late June. That's too late to even compete for the late adopters of the PSP who were holding out for GTA.

Don't forget there are more "original" games coming out for the PSP already in the next 30-60 days compared to DS in my opinion.

Alot of the games I've spotted thus far for DS are rehashes with minor changes from previous Nintendo systems, mostly that of Mario, Sports games etc.

PSP has launched quite a few of PSP only games like Wipe Out, Rivals, DarkStalkers, Untold Legends, Ridge Racer, etc....but that's just me....

Sony responds to dead pixels

The Sony rep suggested PSP owners who encounter the pixel issue to try the device "for a week or two" to see if it continues to bother them. "If you find the spots are interfering with gameplay/video viewing during this period, we will support the various elements of [the PSP] warranty," the rep said. Each PSP comes with a one-year limited warranty, which is on page 125 of the PSP manual. If a PSP is "determined to be defective" by SCEA, the company will see to the "repair or replacement of this product [the PSP] with a new or refurbished product at SCEA's option."

According to a technical support associate contacted by GameSpot, PSP owners who encounter a persistent and aggravating dead-pixel issue should contact SCEA's customer service line (1-800-345-7669) for instructions on how to exchange their unit after a week or two of using the unit. "We will work with you," he assured. The associate said the process would work much like exchanging PlayStation 2s that suffer from the dread "Disc Read Error" problem: Gamers will mail their PSPs in to SCEA and receive units with new screens. The associate was unsure if the customer would receive an all-new unit or their old unit with a new LCD screen.

For the complete article

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/25/news_6121092.html

The PSP sequels to previous PS2 games do not strike me as having major changes from their previous incarnations.

I don't know about the sports games or Rivals, but Ridge Racer and Wipeout are hugely improved. Pure may actually be the Wipeout to finally beat XL.

I grabbed that a couple hours ago really handy, and free!, I have put my favoraite music videos, an album's worth of songs and a dozen pictures and cool Jpegs on my PSP to show the thing off to friends. I am totally entralled with this thing :)

There is a really nice walkthrough for converting DVD's to PSP right from downloading the programs to actually burning the discs over at 1up.com It took me all of ten minutes from DLing the software to copying my first videos onto my memory stick :)

I grabbed that a couple hours ago really handy, and free!, I have put my favoraite music videos, an album's worth of songs and a dozen pictures and cool Jpegs on my PSP to show the thing off to friends. I am totally entralled with this thing :)

There is a really nice walkthrough for converting DVD's to PSP right from downloading the programs to actually burning the discs over at 1up.com It took me all of ten minutes from DLing the software to copying my first videos onto my memory stick :)

cool sight but I di dnot see that article.

I cannot STAND dead pixels of any kind, period. The "wait a week and see if it still bothers" you is about as utter BS as I've ever heard. And what's with "if determined to be defective"? Do they have testers play your machine after you send it to them, and see if they think it's annoying enough to warrant a new screen or machine?

Anyways, when I bought a GB color, it had a "dead" pixel. Always lit blue, just left and above of dead center. Less than 1 hour after I called Nintendo (on my 1-hour old GBC) they had contacted a FedEx driver, who stopped at my house and sent it to Nintendo at Nintendo's expense, and I had a new GBC within 5 days, again returned via FedEx overnight. I may consider Nintendo at the bottom of the list for games/hardware at the moment, but their customer service can't be beat in my experience.

There are a lot of people out there who, and probably rightly so, are hesitant to buy the PSP due to quality issues that the original PlayStation and PS2 had, especially with stories of Japanese units having broken analog nubs, sticky square buttons, and dead pixels galore. There are also the people who see $250 as a bit high for Sony's glorified version of a Gameboy. But, as the other members who picked up a PSP can testify, simply hearing about what it can do and seeing pictures of it don't do it any justice at all. Console-ish ports or not, the games really are that much better than Gameboy games, the screen really is that crisp and brilliant, video playback (espcially from UMD) really does look that good, and finally, yes, the PSP is as sleek and (dare I say) sexy as you've heard.

I'm getting stuck on Wipeout, though (three tracks left to unlock, with no idea how, and I can only seem to get around 27 zones on the third Zone track). And my wife keeps taking my PSP when I'm not looking to play Lumines...

Is there anyplace that is selling just the $250 value pack by its self? It seems that EB and Gamestop only have their bundles which raises the price to around $400, which is way to much for me....$250 plus one game would be nice right now.....so any suggestions?

Thanks

Twich

Target stores were selling the system bundle by itself. After I got home with mine and showed my brother what it could do we ran right out the door and picked one up for him.

As far as the article, I don't have permission to re-post it, but I think so long as I give credit where it is due, This is from the 1up.com website, visit www.1up.com and check out thier PSP section here is a link to the article that I pulled the walkthrough from: PSP DVD to MPeG4 walkthrough

Here's a quick rundown on getting that favorite DVD video running on your PSP

1. You're going to need your video files in MPEG4 file format for the PSP to read. With the proper instructions (the PSP manual isn't much help), you'll be ripping DVDs like a pro. Start by choosing the DVD you want to rip and putting it into your computer's DVD drive.

2. Do a quick Google search, download the free DVD Decrypter program, and open it up.

3. Click the Mode tab, scroll down and select IFO.

4. Now click the Tools tab, select IFO Mode and make sure the option File Splitting is set to "None."

5. Click OK, under the Input window click the movie.

6. Now select the Stream Processing tab, enable Stream Processing, and select your video.

7. You're now ready to start ripping. Click that big DVD disc to begin the processing of ripping the DVD into a file stored on your hard drive.

8. Now with the video file on your HD, you have a variety of programs at your disposal which will help you convert the file into proper formatting for PSP viewing. A quick Google search of 3GP Converter, iPSP, or the new PSP Video 9 will yield programs you can use to convert that ripped video file.

9. For Mac users, give iPSP a shot. And for PC users not comfortable with talk of bitrates and encoding will enjoy PSP Video 9's user-friendly interface.

10. Now connect your PSP using a USB 2.0 cable and click the "USB Connectivity" option in the PSP's main menu. This will allow you to browse the Memory Stick Duo inserted into your PSP.

11. Be careful where you place the video file on the Memory Stick. Unlike music and picture files, your video files need to be placed outside of the "PSP" folder. Create a folder called "MP_ROOT" and inside that folder create another folder named "100MNV01." That is the folder you need to copy your encoded video files to.

12. Be careful how your video files have been named. Programs like iPSP will properly name your video files automatically. Naming your MP4 files "24_Season_3.MP4" won't work. The files need to be named like this: "M4V00000.MP4"; you can change the numbers "00000" to fit your preference (like "M4V00027.MP4").

13. You're done! If you get stuck on any of the above steps, scour internet message boards for help. Hundreds of philanthropic techies will be explaining the above steps on forums come March 24, and thousands of others will be pleading for their help.

I followed those directions a had absolutely no problems, the DVD Decrypter program and the PSP Video 9 program are all you need and are free where as the 3G and IPSP were both software for sale. I will be sending a donations to the free ware sites, because that stuff literaly made my night people this afternoon, because that software package did exactly what I needed it to do and was very easy to use.

Edited by Ghadrack

i think i'm gonna get a psp once the dead pixel problem is dealt with.

It's not actually something that can be dealt with, if I understand correctly. It's not a Sony issue... dead pixels can affect literally any LCD screen. Not sure what causes them, but my computer monitor had one.

A dead pixel can be a a white or colored dot, or simply one pixel on the screen that doesn't light. In my case, on my PSP, it's a light, very small dot. You can only really notice it against a dark screen.

Yes, but Sony seems to care about them less than Nintendo does.

As I understand things, SCE has a no returns policy for dead pixels in Japan.

Far cry from Nintendo's policy of "That wasn't ever supposed to get out of the factory, sorry about that. Here's a minty-fresh one."

The launch title assortment is impressive however.  The DS has been out for months and doesn't have that many interesting titles IMO.  Nintendo will have to come out with their next one quick to stay on top of the handheld game.

Nintendo's been holding DS games from America while releasing them in Japan.

Only theory I've heard is they were gonna start blitzing the market once the PSP hit to suck consumer dollars from Sony.

That wouldn't pan out, considering that most of their more advertised or more highly anticipated games (including Need for Speed Underground 2, Super Mario Bros, and Metroid Prime Hunters) have been pushed back to late June. That's too late to even compete for the late adopters of the PSP who were holding out for GTA.

Yah well...

There's a lot of games that Japan's gotten that would take minimal effort to localize that they just haven't bothered with yet. It's the only even mildly logical explanation I've seen why the DS has been virtually unsupported untill now in America.

Bah! With all the video conversion guides out online right now, why don't I see any PSP photo's with DYRL playing?!?!?! Come on guys! Hop to it! :D

There ya go!

All on my 32MB Memory Card. :lol:

post-26-1111862863_thumb.jpg

Far cry from Nintendo's policy of "That wasn't ever supposed to get out of the factory, sorry about that. Here's a minty-fresh one."

Absolutely true. But, Sony also seems to have to deal with higher demand for the PSP than Nintendo does with their DS. After the holiday, between new and used, there's alwasy a DS in stock. As for Sony... there aren't even display units in stores. Every working unit they could build, they're pretty much boxed and sent out for retail. And every PSP with one or two dead pixels is one or two more in consumers' hands. For every one person who says "Damn, a dead pixel! This bitch is going back!" there will be two more that will shrug, remark that the dead pixel is only noticeable under certain conditions (like when the screen is extremely dark), and forget about it.

Besides, reguardless of SCEI's stance in Japan, I'll point out that SCEA has said they'll handle dead pixels on a case by case basis.

Yah well...

There's a lot of games that Japan's gotten that would take minimal effort to localize that they just haven't bothered with yet. It's the only even mildly logical explanation I've seen why the DS has been virtually unsupported untill now in America.

Perhaps, but if that were the case, where are those games now that the PSP has launched? Over the course of Thursday and Friday, we sold 60 odd PSPs, plus a truckload of games and accessories (we actually sold out of a few games already, like Spider-Man, Twisted Metal, and Lumines). We sold two DS games, no accessories, and no systems.

Nintendo's (and third party software developers') lack of support in America for the DS is going to kill it, at this rate. Some websites like to point out how many DS's Nintendo was already able to sell... but you have to consider that the DS was a holiday impulse buy in a lot of cases, and DS software sales have been very low. A good number of those DSs have likely been resold on eBay or traded in to stores like EB and Gamestop. I know that my store has more used DSs in stock than used GBA SPs.

Absolutely true. But, Sony also seems to have to deal with higher demand for the PSP than Nintendo does with their DS. After the holiday, between new and used, there's alwasy a DS in stock. As for Sony... there aren't even display units in stores. Every working unit they could build, they're pretty much boxed and sent out for retail. And every PSP with one or two dead pixels is one or two more in consumers' hands. For every one person who says "Damn, a dead pixel! This bitch is going back!" there will be two more that will shrug, remark that the dead pixel is only noticeable under certain conditions (like when the screen is extremely dark), and forget about it.

As I recall, there were serious DS shortages at launch too.

IMO, not enough is not enough, and you may as well attempt to supply the best product possible to the people that buy them from you.

Of course, I also think you shouldn't launch a product if you can't meet demand for it, but no one seems to be listening.

Cynical me says the demo unit thing is more along the lines of Sony going "Hey, we're the PLAYSTATION! We don't need to prove we're any good, people buy our product then sit there insisting it's better than everything else regardless of reality."

I heard people going on about how the PS1 was more powerful than the Dreamcast at least once.

*rolls eyes*

The DS is "wierd" and Nintendo doesn't have the ability to sell products on name alone. So the demo units were needed to get people to go "Wow, this is neat."

Yah well...

Perhaps, but if that were the case, where are those games now that the PSP has launched? Over the course of Thursday and Friday, we sold 60 odd PSPs, plus a truckload of games and accessories (we actually sold out of a few games already, like Spider-Man, Twisted Metal, and Lumines). We sold two DS games, no accessories, and no systems.

Well, I saw "Catch! Touch! Yoshi!" got released about 2 weeks ago. That's one.

Beyond that... Hell if I know.

'S a real pity how they've handled this thing so far.

I know it's just a screen cap. I am still curious what the final PSP video size may be. I need to get a big card and It would be nice to know how big. :p

I haven't tried to rip and convert a DVD yet. But depending on the quality, you might be able to get it on a 256mb card, and almost definately onto a 512.

Still waiting for the gigs, though...

Wrong. In every store I've walked into this weekend they had ample supply of PSP's. I have really wanted to see demo units, because I can't go off just Internet pictures. Maybe they aren't selling so many is because of how much the AC adaptors are? ;)

post-26-1111890911_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wes

I know it's just a screen cap.  I am still curious what the final PSP video size may be.  I need to get a big card and It would be nice to know how big.  :p

I haven't tried to rip and convert a DVD yet. But depending on the quality, you might be able to get it on a 256mb card, and almost definately onto a 512.

Can pick up a 1gig for about $100: http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDeta..._n=57&WT.mc_t=U

I wonder if anyone is going to make a CF/SD card reader for the PSP? MemoryStick prices are ridiculous.

Can pick up a 1gig for about $100: http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDeta..._n=57&WT.mc_t=U

I wonder if anyone is going to make a CF/SD card reader for the PSP? MemoryStick prices are ridiculous.

Can you use that one? I thought it had to be the "Duo" version for it to work with the PSP.

Can you use that one? I thought it had to be the "Duo" version for it to work with the PSP.

I think it HAS to be the Pro Stick Duo.

I got my PSP on midnight of thursday... Been playing it on breaks between classes and at home when I dont feel like playing the PC or consoles. Bought me two 512MB memory stick duos so I can try converting videos and add mp3s and pictures to mine. I don't know if it was mentioned in this thread but I use PSP Video 9 to convert video to PSP-compatible MP4 format. The mention rule for converting your videos was make sure the the settings were 640Kbps for video and 128Kbps for audio (so total bitrate is 768Kbps, read that on IGN somewhere). However the files sizes didn't change much, maybe a 1-2MB drop in size. I tried it on some Gundam Seed Destiny episodes that are 230MB in size... converted, and plays fine on my PSP. If you fiddle around with the bitrates, resolution and framrates, the output file SHOULD come out smaller. I just love owning a PSP now, I get about 6-7 hours battery usage since I am not playing games totally on it 24/7 so drainage will vary. :D

Here's the PSP Video guide (using PSP Video 9) done by IGN...

Edited by vfxraven19