PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

I picked up a starter kit, yes its pelican...but this is a temporary solution till after my seattle trip next week.

I haven't used any of the USB cables and what not, don't have the time too yet...buuuuuuttttttttttttttttt I think I will fairly soon. <<<<still got receipt and throwing it back going "PIECE OF CRAP!"

I just bought a plain jane car charger so far as the only accessory. I've basically just been putting the PSP in its sock, then putting that, the car charger, and any games I might want to play in my briefcase, then taking the whole shebang with me to work. Which reminds me, you might want to stay out of videogame stores for awhile if you want any kind of customer service from the clerks. On the other hand, if you're tired of us hawking reserves and subs, now's the time to go, while we're too busy doing wi-fi Wipeout tournaments to bother you.

Anyone who has a PSP and wants an easy way to deal with vids and mp3s.

Grab this.

I got it tonight and it rocks. I converted the SW EP3 trailer and it looks sweet on my PSP.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801956

Totally unnecessary. Save yourself the extra $10, and just get a no-frills mini USB cable.

If you formatted your Memory Stick before you started playing with it, the PSP will have already created all the folders you need, save the one for movies. All you really need is that mini-USB cable (I've seen them at Wal-Mart for around $5). Once the USB is connected, you go to the PSP's USB menu (all the way to the left under Settings), and your PC should automatically detect "PSP - USB Mass Storage Drive" and treat it just like a card reader. From that, you can simply drag and drop mp3 and jpg files into their proper folders using Windows Explorer. You can also take your game save files and copy them to your hard drive.

Now, everyone says movies are trickier, but if you've been using the FREE PSP Video 9 software that was posted a few pages back, just have your PSP connected like normal and PSP Video 9 should automatically detect it and create the folders you need for movies. Then, you can use PSP Video 9 to convert your video files to mp4 (it will also rename them properly so the PSP can recognize them). From there, you can either drag and drop in Windows Explorer, or if you really want, PSP Video 9 will even copy the mp4 files to your PSP for you.

Edited by mikeszekely

actually i haven't been able to find the cable by itself anywhere except for bestbuy...and the cable comes with the software...the software is really good at converting the video...it even leaves the video at the original screen resolution so no real data loss...i watched the "Ace Combat Zero" (M0 & AC5 put together) it didn't have the same naming capabilities but it converted the video pretty well...the only real drawback with the software is you can't drag in or add folders of music, photos, or video...it pretty much has to be dragged into one at a time and that's pretty annoying...btw...has anyone made subfolders for their files?

This morning, two analysts chimed in with their own thoughts. One memo from American Technology Research's PJ McNealy gave his assessment of the launch, which he describes in cautious terms. "[The] PSP [launch] has been solid but not spectacular."

While not a definitive measure of success, McNealy pegs his assessment on ATR's own channel check of stories. "Our checks over the past two days of 150 US retailers have shown that the PSP is sold out in only 50 (33 percent) of those stores."

Source: Gamespot article.

Does this comment strike anyone else as being asinine? I mean, how do these guys get jobs doing this? Just because the PSP hasn't sold out everywhere, it's not a good launch? Does this mean that the DS did have a good launch, because it did sell out? Nevermind the fact that the DS was sold out because, between launch and January, our store had maybe 20 units. And nevermind the fact that we had 70 PSPs, of which we have maybe four left. I mean, you'd think professional analysts of the videogame industry would be capable of making a more educated analysis.

I don't want to sound like a Sony fanboy, because I'm really not. I have all three consoles, and I've had every incarnation of the Gameboy, and I've got a DS. But selling out of hardware during the Christmas season when Nintendo shipped us less than half of the quantity of PSPs we recieved doesn't impress me, and frankly, the DS's software really dissapoints me. And now, when a lot of those DS's are being sold back, we've been able to sell nearly 70 PSPs at $100 more per unit, with the feedback from those customers being much more positive. On top of all that, while you may or may not be able to find a truly stand-out system seller, the quanity and quality of launch games has been much better than any other system, handheld or home console, in recent history (nostalgic nods still go to the Dreamcast for launch games...). I'd say that's pretty damn successful.

This morning, two analysts chimed in with their own thoughts. One memo from American Technology Research's PJ McNealy gave his assessment of the launch, which he describes in cautious terms. "[The] PSP [launch] has been solid but not spectacular."

While not a definitive measure of success, McNealy pegs his assessment on ATR's own channel check of stories. "Our checks over the past two days of 150 US retailers have shown that the PSP is sold out in only 50 (33 percent) of those stores."

Source: Gamespot article.

Does this comment strike anyone else as being asinine? I mean, how do these guys get jobs doing this? Just because the PSP hasn't sold out everywhere, it's not a good launch? Does this mean that the DS did have a good launch, because it did sell out? Nevermind the fact that the DS was sold out because, between launch and January, our store had maybe 20 units. And nevermind the fact that we had 70 PSPs, of which we have maybe four left. I mean, you'd think professional analysts of the videogame industry would be capable of making a more educated analysis.

I don't want to sound like a Sony fanboy, because I'm really not. I have all three consoles, and I've had every incarnation of the Gameboy, and I've got a DS. But selling out of hardware during the Christmas season when Nintendo shipped us less than half of the quantity of PSPs we recieved doesn't impress me, and frankly, the DS's software really dissapoints me. And now, when a lot of those DS's are being sold back, we've been able to sell nearly 70 PSPs at $100 more per unit, with the feedback from those customers being much more positive. On top of all that, while you may or may not be able to find a truly stand-out system seller, the quanity and quality of launch games has been much better than any other system, handheld or home console, in recent history (nostalgic nods still go to the Dreamcast for launch games...). I'd say that's pretty damn successful.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. I've done alot of shopping this week, and there is ample amounts of PSPs in every store I went to. Maybe it's because you work at a GameStop - if people are going to reserve something game-wise, they'd probably do it there, hence why your place has 4 left, and Walmart, Target, etc, has a ton in their case, with who knows how much in the back.

The real place they shot themselves in the foot with is the lack of demo units - Sony's not even trying to sell the public on it, apparently, and just wants us to give them money. You've gotten a chance to play it before launch. As things stand now, the only way I can find out if it's any good is drop $300 on the system and 1 game(guess i could find out for less if I rent from Blockbuster, but...) With how little I play videogames right now, I can't justify such a purchase when I've had no time to see what it can do.

At this point the PSP is a hardcore gamer item. Mom and Pop are not going to touch this until it hits below $150.00

Thats why the gamestores are all sold out but my local Walmarts and Targets all had plenty to go around. Maybe if SONY had allocated more to the Gamestores it would have helped a little.

Either way its a hit. The more people I show the more they are impressed. They may not grab it right away but now they have seen it and its potential.

uhh...does the screen color change every month? cuz i have a pink-redish screen now..

Yes.

January = Grey

February = Yellow

March = Lime-Green

April = Pink

May = Dark-Green

June = Light-Purple

July = Teal-Blue

August = Blue

September = Purple

October = Gold

November = Brown

December = Red

I'm sorry, but I disagree. I've done alot of shopping this week, and there is ample amounts of PSPs in every store I went to. Maybe it's because you work at a GameStop - if people are going to reserve something game-wise, they'd probably do it there, hence why your place has 4 left, and Walmart, Target, etc, has a ton in their case, with who knows how much in the back.

The real place they shot themselves in the foot with is the lack of demo units - Sony's not even trying to sell the public on it, apparently, and just wants us to give them money. You've gotten a chance to play it before launch. As things stand now, the only way I can find out if it's any good is drop $300 on the system and 1 game(guess i could find out for less if I rent from Blockbuster, but...) With how little I play videogames right now, I can't justify such a purchase when I've had no time to see what it can do.

I'll totally agree on the lack of a display unit thing. I've met people who weren't really interested, played with mine or someone else's, then went about trying to coming up with $250 to get their own. People need a chance to see and feel the PSP in person to see what makes it stand apart from previous handhelds.

But, display units are supposedly on the way. Rumor has it that PSPs that have been returned for dead pixels will be replaced (it's already happening), and if the dead pixels aren't too bad, they'll be reused as demo units. The Super Wal-Mart in Latrobe PA already has a display unit playing the Spider-Man 2 movie that it came with.

That is a pretty good idea, minor dead pixel units would be great for passing around the store. Personally, after seeing the effect a hands on demonstration has with people I think word of mouth and friends demostrating the thing is by far more powerful advertising than TV or Magazine ads could be with the thing.

By the way, I was skimming boards and searching and it turns out Square Enix has already got a PSP Final Fantasy game in development. The game is going to be called FF7: Crisis Core you can search it on the net to find out more, 1up.com had a tentative release date in late June, hopefully they will have it playable at E3 with some other major announcements. No April Foolin, I looked it up last night and was extremely giddy to see a semi-confirmed Square-Enix release. I am highly excited to see what is in store for the PSP.

At this point the PSP is a hardcore gamer item. Mom and Pop are not going to touch this until it hits below $150.00

Thats why the gamestores are all sold out but my local Walmarts and Targets all had plenty to go around. Maybe if SONY had allocated more to the Gamestores it would have helped a little.

Either way its a hit. The more people I show the more they are impressed. They may not grab it right away but now they have seen it and its potential.

That's pretty much it I think. Sony normally caters to the casual gamer but right now only the hardcore gamer is buying the PSP.

I've hit all the stores this week Walmart, Target etc and they all had a few PSPs still there. Anywhere from 3-15 usually. I don't know what they had in the back.

At least Sony had enough units to go around at launch and a variety of games that appeal to different types of gamers. Nintendo's DS launch and its lack of games has been disappointing. My 9 year old nephew who had to have a DS at Christmas is complaining there are not enough games for it.

*Please note I'm not a Sony fanboy. I own a GBA SP and a Gamecube.*

I'm sorry, but I disagree.  I've done alot of shopping this week, and there is ample amounts of PSPs in every store I went to.  Maybe it's because you work at a GameStop - if people are going to reserve something game-wise, they'd probably do it there, hence why your place has 4 left, and Walmart, Target, etc, has a ton in their case, with who knows how much in the back.

The real place they shot themselves in the foot with is the lack of demo units - Sony's not even trying to sell the public on it, apparently, and just wants us to give them money.  You've gotten a chance to play it before launch.  As things stand now, the only way I can find out if it's any good is drop $300 on the system and 1 game(guess i could find out for less if I rent from Blockbuster, but...)  With how little I play videogames right now, I can't justify such a purchase when I've had no time to see what it can do.

I'll totally agree on the lack of a display unit thing. I've met people who weren't really interested, played with mine or someone else's, then went about trying to coming up with $250 to get their own. People need a chance to see and feel the PSP in person to see what makes it stand apart from previous handhelds.

I've seen it. It's pretty. Haven't actually played it, though.

The buttons look too close to the edge for my tastes. I think it'd be uncomfortable for extended gaming.

I've seen this mentioned as a flaw in at least one hardware review, along with the battery life.

But here's the thing... there's NOTHING I WANT FOR IT. Sum total of interest = 1 puzzle game. And I'm not paying 250$ to see if Lumines is worth playing.

But here's the thing... there's NOTHING I WANT FOR IT. Sum total of interest = 1 puzzle game. And I'm not paying 250$ to see if Lumines is worth playing.

Simple solution for that: Don't buy it. ;)

Or buy it for Lumines anyway, and trust that the games you want will start to come in for it.

I haven't.

Or buy it for Lumines anyway, and trust that the games you want will start to come in for it.

But you see... I buy hardware for software. I don't buy software for hardware.

A system with no games I want is crap, regardless of how powerful it is.

Besides, while I'm sure somethign I want WILL come out eventually, when it does we'll be a price cut or 2 down the road, as well as 3 hardware revisions. I'll get a better sysetm for less money.

Edited by JB0

uhh...does the screen color change every month? cuz i have a pink-redish screen now..

Yes.

January = Grey

February = Yellow

March = Lime-Green

April = Pink

May = Dark-Green

June = Light-Purple

July = Teal-Blue

August = Blue

September = Purple

October = Gold

November = Brown

December = Red

now i regret settin' up the date... <_<

Besides, while I'm sure somethign I want WILL come out eventually, when it does we'll be a price cut or 2 down the road, as well as 3 hardware revisions. I'll get a better sysetm for less money.

Hardware revisions won't be like the N-Gage's. Any hardware revisions that Sony will do to the PSP at this point would either increase the price, or negate any potential price drop.

I haven't.

And don't you break like of thee poor wimps have!

Hardware revisions won't be like the N-Gage's. Any hardware revisions that Sony will do to the PSP at this point would either increase the price, or negate any potential price drop.

nah it won't be anything major. most likely better latches for the disc launcher and maybe better analog stick.

nah it won't be anything major. most likely better latches for the disc launcher and maybe better analog stick.

Right.

I wasn't speaking in terms of new case, new features, etc.

I was speaking in terms of fixing existing flaws(one's already done, yay!) and reducing the cost.

There are not two versions of the NES. There's close to 15.

There are not 2, 3, or even 4, PS1s. There's about 10 if I recall.

Right.

I was speaking in terms of fixing existing flaws(one's already done, yay!) and reducing the cost.

games sell consouls. if dvd format had no good movies who woudl buy a dvd playe/. So I agree.r

Are there an PSPs in Socal?

yes there are. Dood, you should've asked me. I know where they still have some. But I'll tell you tomorrow when we meet up. ;):p:D:lol:

Right.

My bad. I thought you were thinking of a more drastic change, ala the rumored PSP with 40GB harddrive.

My bad. I thought you were thinking of a more drastic change, ala the rumored PSP with 40GB harddrive.

I hadn't heard that rumor.

It'd be awesome if that was introduced at the same price point, like the slimmed-down PS2 with integrated ethernet was.

My bad.  I thought you were thinking of a more drastic change, ala the rumored PSP with 40GB harddrive.

It'd be awesome if that was introduced at the same price point, like the slimmed-down PS2 with integrated ethernet was.

I really wonder about this rumor... sony would have to have a really nice battery to be able to power that thing...

but if it happened, I would get one... and that would pretty much kill the ipod.

My bad.  I thought you were thinking of a more drastic change, ala the rumored PSP with 40GB harddrive.

I really wonder about this rumor... sony would have to have a really nice battery to be able to power that thing...

but if it happened, I would get one... and that would pretty much kill the ipod.

Backpack battery. Solves everything. :)

but think about how big the PSP would have to be to have a 40GB drive would be, even at the size of the iPod drives the thing would be a beast, hardly an iPod killer for most consumers.

Hard drive's in the backlpack with the battery. :p

but think about how big the PSP would have to be to have a 40GB drive would be, even at the size of the iPod drives the thing would be a beast, hardly an iPod killer for most consumers.

Remember the Proton Packs they used in Ghostbusters? Now imagine that, instead of going to a thrower, the cord runs from the backpack into a PSP.

Remember the Proton Packs they used in Ghostbusters? Now imagine that, instead of going to a thrower, the cord runs from the backpack into a PSP.

NintendoBusters! Coming this summer from Sony Pictures!

i wouldn't doubt if sony decided to make some kinda external harddrive for the psp...mostly since it has a mini usb slot on the top...i don't think it'd be too hard to do that with it...it would be nice to have hdd to keep all your videos and mp3s on...and i'm sure it'd be easy to format and all...basically make it all plug n play