PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

When the PSP first comes out, a 1GB Memory Stick Duo Pro will go for around $150.  A UMD can only hold a gig and a half, anyway.

Which is still quite a bit, considering that 1GB CF and SD go for around $60 nowadays. Isn't proprietary media grand? <_<

Don't worry, there's always 3rd party support.

Er, or not. The problem with the Sony Memory Sticks is that Sony (as far as I know) is the only company that makes them, meaning that they'll always be more expensive.

Okay, let's not make stuff up just to bash Sony.

PNY Compact Flash 1GB - $179.99

SanDisk CF 1GB - $109.99

SanDisk SD 1GB - $109.99

And while Sony is often the seen as the driving force behind the Memory Stick... it's actually SanDisk's baby.

SanDisk 1GB Memory Stick Pro Duo - $149.99.

So, CF and SD look to run anywhere from $110-$180 for a GB, not $60. And that puts $149.99 in the same ballpark for a 1GB Memory Stick Duo. And yes, I am pretty sure that you could, if you search, find SD or CF cheaper, but you'd probably find Memory Sticks cheaper at the same store/website. I just picked for my links big retailers where your average Joe-Schmoe might go to buy their stuff.

And while we're at it, I'd point out that DVDs weren't really taking off, especially in Japan, until Sony decided to use it for the PS2. If the PSP takes off, it'll give the Memory Stick a slight edge in the flash media format wars, increase the demand, and likely bring prices down further.

umm think they said the psp can only use duo mem sticks and not anything else.

Yes, but the point of my post wasn't to show alternatives to Memory Stick Duo, but to show that the prices between Memory Stick Duo and other popular formats like CF and SD are comparable.

And akt_m, I'd already mentioned that you could probably find cheaper cards online... not just for SD, but for CF and Memory Stick too. But 99% of the people going out to buy memory for their cameras (and later, their PSPs) aren't going to shop for the cheapest deals online, they're going to go to their local Gamestop, EB, Best Buy, Fry's, Wal-Mart, etc. I'll admit that Memory Stick Duo cards are usually slighty more than CF or SD, but not a ridiculous $80 gap that you get by comparing a generic SD card you see on the net and a name brand Memory Stick PRO Duo from a retail store.

Gunbuster, according to Gamespot, the square button problem only deals with PSPs manufactured in 2004 and shouldn't affect the US launch. I'd say they rushed the Japanese units, and hopefully the first US batch will be of higher quality in general.

Gunbuster, according to Gamespot, the square button problem only deals with PSPs manufactured in 2004 and shouldn't affect the US launch.  I'd say they rushed the Japanese units, and hopefully the first US batch will be of higher quality in general.

Awesome, thanks for the update mikeszekely :D I guess I'll wait for the second batch of of the US PSP release (I got my PSP fix with the japanese version, so I can wait). I was just really mad at Ken for saying that was as design. I'm glad its going to be fix.

Edited by Gunbuster

So, CF and SD look to run anywhere from $110-$180 for a GB, not $60. And that puts $149.99 in the same ballpark for a 1GB Memory Stick Duo. And yes, I am pretty sure that you could, if you search, find SD or CF cheaper, but you'd probably find Memory Sticks cheaper at the same store/website. I just picked for my links big retailers where your average Joe-Schmoe might go to buy their stuff.

~$60 is the going rate for 1GB SD and CF cards if you're shopping in the right placed, try poking around www.bensbargains.net. My point was that the Memory Sticks are considerably more expensive than SD or CF cards, which they are.

It looks like Nintendo is starting to feel the heat !

From http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

- CNN reported that Nintendo is planning to introduce the next generation GameBoy Advance by the end of 2005. American Technology Research said the new handheld system will likely launch at around $99, and the price of GameBoy Advance will reduce to $49.

It looks like Nintendo is starting to feel the heat !

From http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

- CNN reported that Nintendo is planning to introduce the next generation GameBoy Advance by the end of 2005. American Technology Research said the new handheld system will likely launch at around $99, and the price of GameBoy Advance will reduce to $49.

Nintendo have always said that the DS is not the replacement of the GBA. They said if the PSP sales beats the DS, they will release the next gen Gameboy

Unless Nintendo can come up with something REALLY interesting with this GBA2.0...then I'm not gonna buy it unless GBA2 games are gonna be their own deal...which I would find very disturbing seeing the GB games have all worked on to the next stage of systems.

But with the DS being able to play ALL GB/C/A and its own DS styled games...WHY waste your money?

As far as I'm concerned, the DS is the last hand held system from Nintedo I'm going to buy.

Doesn't seem to me like the developers have really pounced on the DS.

How many good games are out now and the system has been out for how long?

The touch screen is a really interesting idea, but the DS should have been produced with an Analog control. If you're only going to have one directional control, it should have been a small analog control, not a d-pad. That omission really hurts a lot of game prospects, because using the touch screen to compensate isn't a very accurrate or intuitive substitution. Super Mario 64DS for example showed the usefulness of the touchscreen, but also the limitations of no analog control. Mario 64 was designed for the analog control to begin with.

Some developers were probably scrared off because you're pretty much obligated to at least try to incorporate the 2nd screen for more than just a map, as well as fit the touch pad into your game. You can't really do a true 3D game without an analog control. So once again Castlevania is going to be side scrolling in the DS game, instead of the 3D game the DS actually has the horsepower to handle.

I actually almost got a DS, but held off because I wanted to see how well everything developed, and got a new GBA SP instead to replace my older GBA. Unfortunately it seems like Nintendo might have a problem with the DS. The PSP beats it on features hands down if you exclude the touch screen. That's about the only advantage the DS has, aside from the lower price.

I really like that the PSP is using memory cards as well. No more battery backed saves.

I'm not going to get either for the time being, but I'm watching.

I've decided all I want for video games personally is my PC and then handhelds. I never play my Gamecube (actually thinking about selling that), I play my GBA far more.

Then what about the Nintendo-DS ?!

Nintendo will release DS in 4 colors in japan

That was a given the moment the DS came out. I don't think anyone was really surprized there.

For Hikuro, I thought the DS was only supposed to play GBA games along with the DS games? I didn't think it could play the GB/GBC games.

I could be wrong, I haven't tried using the old GB/C games cause I don't really own any of those...well I mean I got Tetris and Mario World when they first came out back in the 89 when the GB came out.

But as far as I'm concerned, the DS is the final nintendo hand held I'll buy....right now I'm not even that happy with it cause there aren't any games out at this time I really wanna play...its just re-released junk like Tiger woods and Mario...I'd like to see stuff strictly made for the DS that will be fun to play.

And right now I'm waiting for Gundam SEED to come out...cause n ow they pushed it back to April 1st...and if that's true I might be playing it while in Seattle! Yeppie!

Were I to guess, the new GBA model will be similar to the SP, it will have brighter screen illumination like the DS, a slightly larger screen and a slightly improved battery life. It will likely just offer minor improvements over the SP givne the price point they are aiming at and be out there purely for the purpose of stealing a little bit of the PSP's thunder. It sounds like a stopgap while they try to get a decent library of games out for the DS and establish it as a powerhouse handheld that it is going to have to be to combat the PSP.

Nintendo isn't going anywhere in handheld land for a while, but sony really is going to put the thumbscrews to nintendo by stealing a significant amount of Handheld Marketshare by putting out more graphically pleasing titles on a handheld. Nintendo has a magnificent library of games for the Gameboy line, and games are what it is all about, but Sony is putting out a machine with better looking, flashier, more modern titles, it is going to be a problem for nintendo if they can't get some major developers to put out some high quality games for the DS.

I think that the DS has hordes of potential, I don't know how many of you have played the Metroid demo for the DS, but in my book that little machine is second only to my PC for first person shooter feel. Using the stylus in place of mouse control for aiming and mouselook works so much better for me that a stupid D-pad or analog stick ever will. So far the games I have played and watched on the DS have been pretty nice but it is all about the developers, I hope nintendo can woo their fair share to make some good games for the DS.

But with the DS being able to play ALL GB/C/A and its own DS styled games...WHY waste your money?

Nintendo said that the NDS will not play GB and GBC on it.

PS: I still have Operation Contra GB with its box and manual :)

Emulate. There's not that many GB and GBC games that have stood the test of time, anyway.

Hell, if software can be run off the Memory Stick, I wouldn't be suprised to see at least NES and GBC emulators for the PSP in the near future.

Emulate. There's not that many GB and GBC games that have stood the test of time, anyway.

Hell, if software can be run off the Memory Stick, I wouldn't be suprised to see at least NES and GBC emulators for the PSP in the near future.

we would be really lucky to have a full function emulator. lately handheld emulation like snes advance has really slowed down. the trend of that plus translation patches has declined over the years.

Getting back to the PSP in topic, I was thinking of finishing off my payments for it on Monday or Tuesday since today's payday (my check wont go thru till Monday sadly) and since I'm paying it all off I thought I should get some accessories with it.

I'm pretty open to anything EXCEPT that 150 dollar memory stick...I thought about getting that Recharge case that's specifically for the PSP, but its 60 dollars and it seems worth the cash since you get an extra 5 hours of gameplay or movie watching. That seems really cool and all, but hmmmmm, I'm not really sure if I wanna get just that.

Maybe those PSP Headbanger Earsubs, that's 30 dollars right there, but hmmm those don't come out till April 5th....

There's this power brick that's suppose to charge up the PSP that's 20 dollars and suppose to charge up without an AC or DC output...hmmm April 5th.

A PSP Pro gamers Kit, comes with a big case, safe screen, car adaptor, neck strap, game case and a dock station. That's for 30 dollars and not that bad of a deal I think....but hmmmmm car adaptors I'm not too fond of since I I use mine for my Cell phone and other things...I think I got two ports in my car.

Just an ordinary PSP Case...nothing special about it, nothing comes with it, just the case, 11 bucks.

Oh this seems to be a must :blink: a USB link cable manager, that way I can put in movies, mp3's and other files from my PS2. That's 15 bucks.

And if I wanna I can get a cheap Memory stick, like 500 some odd gigs for 80 bucks or wha ever if I feel like it.

we would be really lucky to have a full function emulator. lately handheld emulation like snes advance has really slowed down. the trend of that plus translation patches has declined over the years.

I don't know. The GBA had some nice NES emulators. I think the reason a SNES emulator never really worked out for the GBA was a lack of buttons, and the fact that the SNES seems a little tough to emulate properly. For years, a lot of PC SNES emulators had sound issues, as does SNES Station for the PS2 (which can't emulate some SNES games at all) and the SNES emulators for Dreamcast.

NES, GB/C, and Genesis/Megadrive seem likely canidates for emulation on the PSP, as long as the PSP can run software directly off the Memory Stick.

I don't know. The GBA had some nice NES emulators. I think the reason a SNES emulator never really worked out for the GBA was a lack of buttons, and the fact that the SNES seems a little tough to emulate properly. For years, a lot of PC SNES emulators had sound issues, as does SNES Station for the PS2 (which can't emulate some SNES games at all) and the SNES emulators for Dreamcast.

NES, GB/C, and Genesis/Megadrive seem likely canidates for emulation on the PSP, as long as the PSP can run software directly off the Memory Stick.

people been saying that about snes advance but it has realy came through with some of the games. other than sound since its a seperate chip in the cart the main problem with all emulators is scaleing and graphics support. each game pretty much using a slightly differnt approch and these gifted programers just don't have the time to do major projects like this for free.

I realy doubt psp could play a gb/c game unless the game has a mono mode, people are having a realy hard time to trick the rom from the handheld point.

but anyways if want to learn more about snes advance heres the link.snes advance

and the forums that are more suited for discussing this

pocket heaven boards

be cool if you can use it. i have a hard time dialing to my cell phone with my muscle bound fingers. if you get a message on your psp thats "hyweliliop bhiusdsdhy" its proly me.

Actually, IM software for the PSP (real IM software, not the DS's Pictochat crap) wouldn't be so farfetched. The PSP's wireless functions are built on 802.11b... in theory, it should be able to communicate wirelessly (for games, but why not for messaging?) over the net with other PSPs, provided that you're in a wireless hotspot, or you have a wireless router at home.

be cool if you can use it. i have a hard time dialing to my cell phone with my muscle bound fingers.  if you get a message on your psp thats "hyweliliop bhiusdsdhy" its proly me.

Actually, IM software for the PSP (real IM software, not the DS's Pictochat crap) wouldn't be so farfetched. The PSP's wireless functions are built on 802.11b... in theory, it should be able to communicate wirelessly (for games, but why not for messaging?) over the net with other PSPs, provided that you're in a wireless hotspot, or you have a wireless router at home.

yep except lots of hotspots usualy charge for usuage finding a free one is bit rare but my comment is the keypad is too small. i wouldnt diss picachew chat or what its called (don't own a nds) since it would be dissing pda's and seems like big corps like that stuff.

and for good things that nds, im been looking at some of the passthroughs for it and it seems promising slow but promising, maybe they would pull off the linux nds and flashcarts.

I think UMD might of had a chance if you could plug the PSP to your tv and watch movies that way, so that you don't have to buy movies twice so you can see with your DVD player/TV.

But buying a movie just to watch on the PSP, is gonna be a tough sale.

Ideally, I think Sony would have been better off approaching UMD the way they did with mini-discs... make them blank, and sell the software/hardware to take video you already have (like DVD or even avi etc) and put it on a UMD to watch on a PSP later.

Ever since the psp came out a few months ago the disc has been bothering me like a ghost in the past, then i just remembered dataplay. i used to do reports on them in college back in 2001-2002. if the umd was smaller and used the format as it (i belived dataplay the same as a regular dvd) that can be possible.

dataplayengine.jpg

Oh it is absolutely possible for Sony to produce and sell recordable UMD disks and recorders, but they are doing the same thing they did with Mini-discs. They have created a fantastic proprietary format and instead of selling the thing and getting the format out on the market they are trying to be stingey and keep the market cornered. Just like Mini-discs if they screw around for five years before they put recorders on the market and sell the rights to third party manufacturers to make players and recorders the format will be DoA.

As it stands, there is no way in hell I am going to re-buy my movie collections on UMD, I have a portable DVD player with a screen two times the size of the PSP as it is, but, if they sold a UMD recorder so i could -Back up my DVD's and CD's on UMD then i would buy a recorder and a ton of discs just for the handiness of only having to carry one portable device for movies music and games.....

Anyhow, I doubt it will happen, it would make too much sense :p

Oh it is absolutely possible for Sony to produce and sell recordable UMD disks and recorders, but they are doing the same thing they did with Mini-discs. They have created a fantastic proprietary format and instead of selling the thing and getting the format out on the market they are trying to be stingey and keep the market cornered. Just like Mini-discs if they screw around for five years before they put recorders on the market and sell the rights to third party manufacturers to make players and recorders the format will be DoA.

As it stands, there is no way in hell I am going to re-buy my movie collections on UMD, I have a portable DVD player with a screen two times the size of the PSP as it is, but, if they sold a UMD recorder so i could -Back up my DVD's and CD's on UMD then i would buy a recorder and a ton of discs just for the handiness of only having to carry one portable device for movies music and games.....

Anyhow, I doubt it will happen, it would make too much sense :p

You could just do what I intend to do... rip the movies off the DVD, reencode the video to MPEG-4, and smash it down to fit on the 1GB memory stick I intend to buy.

Actually, what I really want to do is watch the fansubs I've been grabbing with Bittorrent on my PSP.

only problem is i doubt the psp will support divx codecs or any others for the avi format...so i guess it'd have to be converted into the mpeg-4 as mikeszekely stated before...but i wouldn't know how to do that...i also wanted to buy a psp so i could watch movies and possibly fansubs...i doubt i'd seriously use it for games...i'm not a gamer nor do i try to be...hell, i can still play first gameboy version of tetris for hours on end and not get tired of it...(just too bad i lost my gameboy <_< ) i'm mostly drawn to puzzle and fighting games...it suck at rpgs and stratigy games...if sony turns out a tetris type puzzle game and possibly street fighter or guilty gear (yeah, i'm a believer that fighting games belong in the 2d realm...unless it's soul calibur) then i'll be all over it like a fat kid on a mountin of twinkies....and isn't there other companies making memory sticks now? i think i've seen some of those juicy fruit sized memory cards made by lexmark or pny recently at bestbuy and walmart...

i guess it'd have to be converted into the mpeg-4 as mikeszekely stated before...but i wouldn't know how to do that

Sony is supposed to be making both free and for sale software to do just that, and I wouldn't be suprised to see other people start turning out freeware for it.

hell, i can still play first gameboy version of tetris for hours on end and not get tired of it...(just too bad i lost my gameboy dry.gif ) i'm mostly drawn to puzzle and fighting games...it suck at rpgs and stratigy games...if sony turns out a tetris type puzzle game and possibly street fighter or guilty gear (yeah, i'm a believer that fighting games belong in the 2d realm...unless it's soul calibur) then i'll be all over it like a fat kid on a mountin of twinkies

If puzzle games are your thing, check out Lumines or Mercury. The PSP is also going to get Puyo Pop Fever. (For more info on that, check out the Gamecube version.)

If you want a solid 2D fighting game, how about Darkstalkers Chronicle, from the people who brought you Street Fighter?

isn't there other companies making memory sticks now? i think i've seen some of those juicy fruit sized memory cards made by lexmark or pny recently at bestbuy and walmart...

A couple of companies have started making regular Memory Sticks, but the Memory Stick Duo that the PSP uses is smaller than a regular Memory Stick. As far as I know, only Sony and SanDisk make them at the moment. If the PSP helps the format catch on, I wouldn't be suprised to see other companies start making them.