Nickelodeon “Star Trek” animated series

Sildani

Yep, you read right. Buncha teenagers find a derelict Starfleet vessel and go on adventures.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2019/tv/news/animated-star-trek-series-nickleodeon-greenlight-1203196492/amp/

Edited by Sildani

it'll be ^%$& if they can't sell merchandise... but what continuity will they follow? It's clear as bells that CBS/AA isn't CBS-TV (otherwise they would have not used JJ-Trek motive's)...

Belay all that. My official POV is this: Who Cares Wins.

Edited by TehPW
2nd thoughts...

4 hours ago, Sildani said:

Yep, you read right. Buncha teenagers find a derelict Starfleet vessel and go on adventures.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2019/tv/news/animated-star-trek-series-nickleodeon-greenlight-1203196492/amp/

... honestly, this sounds like a sanitized version of Red Dwarf set in the Star Trek universe...

20 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

I must be the odd man out.  This sounds like the worst idea I've heard in a long time.  They might as well go all out and make Wesley the captain... 

It sounds all kinds of stupid to me, but I don't have it in me to get mad anymore. I'll just assume the entire series is actually Riker's holodeck simulation.

"The new CG-animated series will follow a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning and salvation."

20 minutes ago, JB0 said:

It sounds all kinds of stupid to me, but I don't have it in me to get mad anymore. I'll just assume the entire series is actually Riker's holodeck simulation.

THIS!!

I sometimes feel like a franchise has to do something drastic once in a while. The universe is so big why not have Star Trek with no rules to pretend to follow, or Star Wars with no jedi or empire to fight or macross with no idol singers.

So this is gonna be some lawless teenagers finding and repairing(?!) a “derelict “ Star ship ( let me guess, they’re all engineers and geniuses with unlimited bank accounts). And they’re gonna have adventures , like finding planet smurf (finally more girl smurfs!) and find meaning and salvation..All dressed up in the Star Trek universe..

Why not:unknw:

Life’s lessons awaits for those who boldly go where no franchise has gone before!

My problem is really mostly about where one finds a starship in servicable condition. I mean, it basically has to be functional already, since a handful of teenagers won't exactly be rebuilding the Enterprise. And few would consider it a good idea to just leave a fully-functional Defiant or Intrepid just laying around without removing the warp core, shields, phasers, and computer, at the minimum.

I'd ask where one finds the big pile of antimatter and dilithium you need to make one work, but that's really a question of scale. Civilian space flight is a thing in the setting, after all. Federation starships just need more of it because they're bigger and badder.

I'm just going to ignore the "crew size" and "specialized training" issues.  God knows previous Treks have had enough trouble with that concept.

I'm also just assuming they find a "real" starship with warship armaments and not some boring freighter or oversized shuttle you'd expect to see in civilian service, which would invalidate a lot of questions. It'd actually be kind of cool if they get the Trek equivalent of an old Microbus and restore it before going off on their space road trip.

Trek III had Scotty rig up the Enterprise Refit to run with only a half-dozen people or so.   (yeah, it's Scotty, but still, it shows it can be automated that much, to at least "run", even if tacticial/science/mission capabilities are minimal, and even while still battle-damaged)  

48 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

Trek III had Scotty rig up the Enterprise Refit to run with only a half-dozen people or so.   (yeah, it's Scotty, but still, it shows it can be automated that much, to at least "run", even if tacticial/science/mission capabilities are minimal, and even while still battle-damaged)  

Per the Star Trek: the Next Generation season one writer's guide Starfleet's 24th century ships are advanced enough that they could conceivably be operated by a single person using a PADD if the situation called for it.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Per the Star Trek: the Next Generation season one writer's guide Starfleet's 24th century ships are advanced enough that they could conceivably be operated by a single person using a PADD if the situation called for it.

And yet they all have massive crews constantly needing to fix one darn thing after another.