Battlestar Galactica Discussion IV with Blood And Chrome

Nope, me too. Then again the HD and PS3 is connected to my PC as well. LOL

Well on the bright side it saves me a lot in electric bills, and I don't have to worry about neighbors complaining about the sound system anymore!

Well on the bright side it saves me a lot in electric bills, and I don't have to worry about neighbors complaining about the sound system anymore!

Although the day I retire, I don't want a PC, not even a cell phone. Just tranquility on a beach house far from the world.

Pics of the Mark II display model!!!! HOLY FRACK, this is what we're getting for under $75 bucks?!?

http://culttvman.com/main/?p=25107

Scroll down and prepare to DROOL! :o

Keep in mind, that you'll have the option to choose your pilots, Starbuck. Apollo, etc.. as well as the Battlestar name decals as well.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

That does look surprisingly good! I have 2 of the unbuilt kits at home that I still haven't got around to building so this could be tempting. I wonder what Galactica will look like.

Chris

Especially with yet another, better looking (IMO) version of the MKII. Hell at this point the MKVII is starting to look pale in comparison...

It's actually a MK III. It was stated in episode 3, I think. Not unheard of for a more newer MK airframe to be put into production before the previous MK. Happened with the Spitfire in WWII.

Chris

It's actually a MK III. It was stated in episode 3, I think. Not unheard of for a more newer MK airframe to be put into production before the previous MK. Happened with the Spitfire in WWII.

Chris

Really? How does that happen?

For any number of reasons really, in the case of the spitfire the RAF needed something to counter the FW-190. The proposed new mark spitfire, the MK VIII, needed a major fuselage modification. So in the interm, they made the MkIX, which used many of the advances the VIII was going to use but on a slightly modified MK V airframe. Funny thing is, the interim/stop-gap MkIX is arguably considered one of if not the best spitfire mark. Lol

For info on the MkIX Spitfire and her other marks check here:

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_spitfire_mkIX.html

In the case of the Vipers, maybe the engines or avionics for the MkII were not ready or that the more rounded smooth surface of the MKII was taking longer to manufacture so they took some of the design eliments of the MkII and used some older tech to create the MkIII to counter the Cylon threat. Also militaries can have several different variants in service at the same time, so maybe there are already MkII's in service and we are just seeing MKIII's in this show. Who knows, but I don't personally don't have any issue with them using a MkIII Viper at this point in the show/war. :)

Chris

I want to see a comparison between the MKII and MKIII

I've been searching through Google and the BATTLESTAR Forums, lots of chatter yet nothing really concrete, but the consensus is these are a different variant of the MK II (F-14A, F-14A+ and the F-14D for example) or in fact these are the MK III's.

I would like to see some definitive concept art designs and specs for this series, especially for the Raptor.

From what I can tell so far the differences are:

Different canopy

More angular and hard edged nose and intakes

"Splinter" panel in front of the intakes (think F-4 Phantom intakes)

Different engine nozzles (smaller than the MkII's)

Different/added exposed equipment areas around the engines

Underside has some sort of greeblie detail that LOOKS similar to the launch rail tracks on TOS Viper undersides

The overall design of the MkII is VERY similar to the MkII just more angular instead of the smooth/ clean rounded surfaces of the MkII.

Chris

Pics of the Mark II display model!!!! HOLY FRACK, this is what we're getting for under $75 bucks?!?

http://culttvman.com/main/?p=25107

Scroll down and prepare to DROOL! :o

Keep in mind, that you'll have the option to choose your pilots, Starbuck. Apollo, etc.. as well as the Battlestar name decals as well.

-Kyp

damn! well....if my build sucks, I'll pick one up for that price! might do it anyway!

Okay, whoever thought it was a good idea to stick a massive high-beam flashlight on their rifles is a dumbass. <_<

Yes! Give away your location to the enemy.

At least we now know where the Old Man first learned the "grab blunt cylindrical object, bash Cylon repeatedly in neck and head with said object, continue until Cylon is thoroughly dead" technique.

So, what have we learned? Flashlight as gun sighting accessory? Bad idea! Flashlight as Cylon skull-bashing tool? Good idea!

Just finished watching BSG 2004 yet AGAIN, although this time it was different in a way: having also watched Blood and Chrome, you see that Bill Adama and the Galactica have been a part of each other's lives for decades. Watching Adama agonize over the deterioration of the Galactica, decide to scrap the ship, and then ultimately sacrifice it to rescue Hera carries much greater emotional impact when you think of the two series and these two icons. On another note, I no longer hate the way BSG 2K4 ended. If anything, I'm actually satisfied with it...

Just finished watching BSG 2004 yet AGAIN, although this time it was different in a way: having also watched Blood and Chrome, you see that Bill Adama and the Galactica have been a part of each other's lives for decades. Watching Adama agonize over the deterioration of the Galactica, decide to scrap the ship, and then ultimately sacrifice it to rescue Hera carries much greater emotional impact when you think of the two series and these two icons. On another note, I no longer hate the way BSG 2K4 ended. If anything, I'm actually satisfied with it...

I was always saltisfied with the ending...

I never hated the ending, I always thought it left things open to interpretation more than anything and really left the door open for the original series to still happen many many yahren later

That, I don't agree with, just what was so open about it? Never minding they totally pulled an Escaflowne + Gall Force, I think it was pretty solidly decided with a "this happenened, now don't screw it up again" kinda scenario. The only way that the original BSG could possibly fit into things would be if the Cylon's used the embryo's they were harvesting to re-seed the thirteen colonies. All indications point towards them using them for ressurrection research, so I doubt that happened. Plus there's the whole lizard people, count ibly, etc aspects of the original that just don't jive well. Not to mention the fact that the Cylon's didn't seem toc are about "any" of the other human ciivlizations that they came across in the original, which really made no sense. No, I think the timeline goes something like this:

-Whatever happened on Kobal was the original set of events. Someone invented Cylon's, Cylon's became near human, civilization exploded when the two failed to merge back together. 12 colonies go in one direction, the Cylon survivors go in another.

-The original Cylon wi-fi existence survived the Kobal events, and decided to try again. Zoey Graystone is influenced by it, and given the wi-fi Cylon code to recreate their existence, and events snowball again.

-BSG TV happens, events play out again as they did before, but this time with more wi-fi angel meddling, and things just "barely" work out. Now Humans/Cylons have become one hybrid existence and settle down on Earth. Flash forward to the modern era, and you havae a cautionary tale about being careful with how you use and treat advanced technology, because some day it might advance to an equal scale as you, and or perhaps a general cautionary tale about racism.

No matter how you cut it, the ending makes total sense as long as you accept that Starbuck never "actually" came back in the first place, she was wi-fi enduced hallucinazation running on the grand ole anceint Cylon-God internet.

Edited by Keith

That, I don't agree with, just what was so open about it? Never minding they totally pulled an Escaflowne + Gall Force, I think it was pretty solidly decided with a "this happenened, now don't screw it up again" kinda scenario. The only way that the original BSG could possibly fit into things would be if the Cylon's used the embryo's they were harvesting to re-seed the thirteen colonies. All indications point towards them using them for ressurrection research, so I doubt that happened. Plus there's the whole lizard people, count ibly, etc aspects of the original that just don't jive well. Not to mention the fact that the Cylon's didn't seem toc are about "any" of the other human ciivlizations that they came across in the original, which really made no sense. No, I think the timeline goes something like this:

-Whatever happened on Kobal was the original set of events. Someone invented Cylon's, Cylon's became near human, civilization exploded when the two failed to merge back together. 12 colonies go in one direction, the Cylon survivors go in another.

-The original Cylon wi-fi existence survived the Kobal events, and decided to try again. Zoey Graystone is influenced by it, and given the wi-fi Cylon code to recreate their existence, and events snowball again.

-BSG TV happens, events play out again as they did before, but this time with more wi-fi angel meddling, and things just "barely" work out. Now Humans/Cylons have become one hybrid existence and settle down on Earth. Flash forward to the modern era, and you havae a cautionary tale about being careful with how you use and treat advanced technology, become some day it might advance to an equal scale as you, and or perhaps a general cautionary tale about racism.

No matter how you cut it, the ending makes total sense as long as you accept that Starbuck never "actually" came back in the first place, she was wi-fi enduced hallucinazation running on the grand ole anceint Cylon-God internet.

Thats the way I saw it. Loved the ending to BSG and I'm not afraid to say that frakking finale had me in tears between Galactica's final send off, the Adama-Roslin ring scene and Starbuck's disappearing.

That, I don't agree with, just what was so open about it? Never minding they totally pulled an Escaflowne + Gall Force, I think it was pretty solidly decided with a "this happenened, now don't screw it up again" kinda scenario.

Yeah, what he said-I didn't like the Escaflowne-ish treatment and I let that color my entire judgement about the whole thing, but looking back over the years it was a satisfying ending, especially with the hightened connection between Galactica and Adama...

Edited by myk