Battlestar Galactica Discussion IV with Blood And Chrome

Looks good, for $50.00 pre-assembled. Figure by the time you get the kit, paint & glue and factor in if building models isn't really your forte its a good way to go money wise!

Just imagine if they did the Pegasus this way. B))

You do know that the BSG Galactica pre built, along with the Viper Mark VII is coming out this summer, right? That means they'll most likely do Pegasus too, IMO. The classic Viper kit is also going to be released as a pre built too. :)

The new BSG Cylon Raider pre built is also already out, BTW.

-Kyp

Just got my Mark II in, WOW. EVERY MARKING IS EITHER PAINTED OR TAMPO PRINTED TO PERFECTION. I've never seen this fine of QC from a Chinese made toy, let alone a mass built and painted model. The paint seems VERY durable, like the kind they use on the Yamato Valks. I will take pictures and post them shortly.

post-4560-0-51962500-1374105708_thumb.jpg

post-4560-0-24653400-1374105790_thumb.jpg
The call sign names are completely random, which is a switch from how they were originally going to allow the end user to put whatever call sign they wanted.

post-4560-0-58044600-1374105830_thumb.jpg
Unfortunately, this serial number is going to be on all of them...regardless of call sign/character. :-\

post-4560-0-14275600-1374105984_thumb.jpg
The detail painting is flawless, as is the tampo marking placements

post-4560-0-34079700-1374106109_thumb.jpg
Yes, even the intake fan detail is painted perfectly, which is a pain in the ass to do by hand.

post-4560-0-76800000-1374106174_thumb.jpg

post-4560-0-96305500-1374106193_thumb.jpg

post-4560-0-96816000-1374106213_thumb.jpg

And lastly, the best part of them all, the cockpit and pilot :

post-4560-0-06045300-1374106397_thumb.jpg

post-4560-0-06185500-1374106453_thumb.jpg

post-4560-0-61004500-1374106471_thumb.jpg
Yes, even the buttons on the control panel are detailed in.

post-4560-0-53919400-1374106490_thumb.jpg
The pilot is also well done.

post-4560-0-77272500-1374106511_thumb.jpg
The canopy frame is painted scary perfect on my sample. *NOTE* The canopy comes glued in from the factory, but I VERY carefully pried mine free, I would advise against this, I only did it because I had a piece of dust on the inside of my canopy and it drove me NUTS.

post-4560-0-13493000-1374106532_thumb.jpg

It may not come weathered, but for $50 shipped, you can't go wrong, IMO. It should be noted that they were originally going to have each one weathered, but it apparently wasn't do able for whatever the reason. I think that's fine, because for those of you with talent, you can weather it up however you like.

The Cylon raider is already out and the Mark VII and Galactica will be out very soon. I hear they're going to offer the TOS Viper pre built as well...and most likely, Pegasus too. ;)

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Damn Kyp that Viper really does look awesome, the painting & Tampo look Top-notch and simply can't go wrong with Husker!

Might pick a Cylon Raider & MK VII down the road, would nice to have a few that are super clean. B))

• 1 month later...

OMG!!! When does this come out? What's the best place to order it? (weird, to order stuff for a domestic product...;-) I've been waiting for this one for so long, I can't wait. A little disappointed that some of the engraving is so deep - I'd rather draw in the hatching with a mechanical pencil like they did on the original filming miniature. Where is there more info on this kit? How accurate is it compared to the Time Slip Creations Resin one? I wanted that one for so long, but they kept selling out and its hundreds of dollars.

So say we all!! That looks beautiful.

And since anyone can afford this, if you want a Studio Scale Galactica see the link below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battlestar-Galactica-Studio-Scale-/231046844166?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item35cb770f06

The Galactica is scheduled for early 2014. Like I said before, Moebius used the Timeslip kit for reference, so it's as accurate as you get.

In the meantime, you can get the new Classic Viper from HLJ:

http://www.hlj.com/product/MOE940/Sci

Beware that, apparently, you can get only 80s style, deeply plowed panel lines from Moebius' contractor:

DSCN8644.jpg

(to the right is the Monogram/Revell Viper with manually scribed lines)

Great job on the re-scribe... that extra job is pushing my Monogram version to the back of my to-do lists.

Yeah, but the Moebius one just doesn't seem to have the fine scale hatching that the Time Slip one has which gives it a great sense of scale. Is it in scale with the NuGalactica from Moebius?

I've been getting the Moebius BSG releases at my local hobby shop. A bit more expensive than online but they're helpful and local and I like to support them.

Since theres no decent Hobby shops here, I still order from my old Hobby Shop in Northridge, CA. The owner still gets a kick out of sending me BSG & Fighter kits. 15 years of loyal business whether here or there. B))

Yeah, but the Moebius one just doesn't seem to have the fine scale hatching that the Time Slip one has which gives it a great sense of scale. Is it in scale with the NuGalactica from Moebius?

I guess the best solution would be to not apply a panel line wash to the flat areas to push the lines back a bit. Of course Moebius should have done a better job there.

The kit has the same size as the Monogram Galactica and thus is in scale with the Moebius Nu Galactica.

One more shot of the Viper (kit is from a fellow modeler)

DSCN8700.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice!!! Still looks like a model kit though, compared to that TimeSlip resin version - still lacking a lot of fine scale surface detail, but at least its $70 instead of $250. When does it come out for sale? I wonder if there's going to be a lighting kit for it?

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely the same kit - look at the bridge. The hard lighting in the previous photos really brought out the worst in this model. So while technically it could have been a better kit, it might look o.k. in real life. I wouldn't recommend a panel wash, though...

• 2 months later...

Nice! Thanks for sharing... didn't know that I would have to do so much work to get all the armored panels to have their undercuts - hmm... that's a lot of work (throws my kit to the back of the pile!)

It would be nice to see if someone attempted a kit-bash of Galactica during the 1st Cylon War, fully armed and armored.

Thats a challenge I accept and hopefully into next year will have one done. When I saw the Galactica fully armored in B&C my immediate thought was "I must have a Model of that!"

Nice! Thanks for sharing... didn't know that I would have to do so much work to get all the armored panels to have their undercuts - hmm... that's a lot of work (throws my kit to the back of the pile!)

I was of the same opinion when the kit first came out, but then I built mine almost straight out of the box. You can make or break the kit with the paint job, and things are certainly tricky here. Among others, I airbrushed a distinct shadow line along the armor, and the kit looks good enough for me. Accurizing the armor the way the japanese modeler did is a mountain of work that doesn't pay off IMO.

7167000578_f6cf3de147_c.jpg

Wow! That looks great (great photography too!). I feel much better now. I did get the full set of paneling decals too so I intend to apply varying shades of Aclad metalizer with the paneling decals over top (I went all out and got both the armor and in between the rib decals as well - it will take forever!). Although now seeing how that Japanese modeller did his, its hard to ignore it (once seen, its hard to "un" see it).

I really loved how he did the cannons - especially the barrels - I have no idea how he did that at that size as the kit ones are just mush and the resin aftermarket ones aren't that much better.

Looks good, for $50.00 pre-assembled. Figure by the time you get the kit, paint & glue and factor in if building models isn't really your forte its a good way to go money wise!

Just imagine if they did the Pegasus this way. B))

That toy looks great, but I have just have one small gripe....that seem line that runs up and down the nose looks like the Grand Canyon.

• 3 months later...