Batman Begins !

I just saw the IMAX version last night. I liked it a lot. They focused so little on the romance and so much more on the actual idea/concept/theme of Batman and how conflicted the character is. It was a good start to the trilogy.

I would have preferred that they showed more of Batman's detective skills, but that will probably show up in the 2nd film when he tracks down you know who (the 'calling card'). I didn't like batman's voice either, it was too forced. And I don't know what they were doing with the action scenes...I couldn't see anything but Batman's face once in awhile. I wished they would pan out the camera again and (like a previous poster stated) focus more on dynamic poses which Batman is known for.

Overall a well done, serious take on Batman for the comic book fans

I think he should have to develop his detective skills first.....I liked the fact that he wasn't the ultimate hero right off the (ahem) bat. Having him mess up, stumble, search his way around how to do things makes it SO much better when he finally does become the Detective we all know

Earlier tonight, I talked to one of my friends, who works as a senior manager at AMC Theatres in Burbank, CA. Last night, I mentioned that I saw the Tumbler in person. My friend talked to one of the Warner Bros. execs and got some detailed info on the vehicle:

- Eight Tumblers were made at $500,000 each. Two were destroyed during production. One has functional weapon bays.

- The Tumbler weighs no more than three tons, yet it can go 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. :blink:

He also asked the WB exec if the company will show off any more movie cars. The exec said two words: General Lee.

The new "The Batman" series mirrors the new movie. From the Eps i've seen it has a young bruce err batman much like the film. The voice actor seems to be younger as well. The animation is very different from the 1st BTAS. It hasn't really grabbed me like BTAS did. It isn't as stylized and I don't think the production level is up to the original's standards.

That movie was awesome. Loved every minute of it.

I just saw the IMAX version last night.  I liked it a lot.  They focused so little on the romance and so much more on the actual idea/concept/theme of Batman and how conflicted the character is.  It was a good start to the trilogy.

I would have preferred that they showed more of Batman's detective skills, but that will probably show up in the 2nd film when he tracks down you know who (the 'calling card').  I didn't like batman's voice either, it was too forced.  And I don't know what they were doing with the action scenes...I couldn't see anything but Batman's face once in awhile.  I wished they would pan out the camera again and (like a previous poster stated) focus more on dynamic poses which Batman is known for.

I think he should have to develop his detective skills first.....I liked the fact that he wasn't the ultimate hero right off the (ahem) bat. Having him mess up, stumble, search his way around how to do things makes it SO much better when he finally does become the Detective we all know

I just figured that was what he was studying at college before he went abroad. Plus his initial martial arts training he was doing probably from a very early age. That's what I loved about Batman....he earns his skills, he doesn't magically get them. Take the spiderman movie: Peter gets bitten by a superspider that gives him his spidey skills....that's fine, but it doesn't explain why he suddenly knows how to fight.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I just saw the IMAX version last night.  I liked it a lot.  They focused so little on the romance and so much more on the actual idea/concept/theme of Batman and how conflicted the character is.  It was a good start to the trilogy.

I would have preferred that they showed more of Batman's detective skills, but that will probably show up in the 2nd film when he tracks down you know who (the 'calling card').  I didn't like batman's voice either, it was too forced.  And I don't know what they were doing with the action scenes...I couldn't see anything but Batman's face once in awhile.  I wished they would pan out the camera again and (like a previous poster stated) focus more on dynamic poses which Batman is known for.

I just figured that was what he was studying at college before he went abroad. Plus his initial martial arts training he was doing probably from a very early age. That's what I loved about Batman....he earns his skills, he doesn't magically get them. Take the spiderman movie: Peter gets bitten by a superspider that gives him his spidey skills....that's fine, but it doesn't explain why he suddenly knows how to fight.

Chris

the ultimate spider-man series provides some good insight into this. in that series, Peter got his butt kicked alot early on.

Did anyone else feel slightly disappointed at;

A) Ken Watanabe - Wasted.

B) Ra's Al Ghul(movie) was not Ra's Al Ghul(comic) at all

C) Katie Holmes; I've never liked her... but still the people I went with thought she was unneccesary.

And yes... Bale's Batman voice did suck.. :(

But WOW despite those issues I was pretty much on the edge of my seat the whole time. I was tensed up just like with a pretty much constant "wow" factor especially for the Batmobile chase! When they were on the train though, I leaned over to my date and said "Spiderman coulda helped him with that one.."

Cool Toy A7. My only real complaint are the projectiles. How much does that cost btw?

Thanks. I'm deciding on whether or not to repaint the projectiles.

The Tumbler costs $24.99 at Toys 'R' Us. And right now, when you buy it, you can get a limited edition bronze Batman figure for free.

I haven't done anything with my Tumbler other than what you see on the pics. The version I have is actually pretty rare around here. I went to every Wal-Mart, Target and K-B Toys within the San Fernando Valley, and all they had were battle-damaged ones. Out of the 100+ units at TRU in Porter Ranch, there are probably less than 10 in a showroom finish.

I'm tempted to buy a battle-damaged one so I can paint the desert camouflage colors on it.

BTW, Noel, how about posting pics of yours? ;)

And yes... Bale's Batman voice did suck.. :(

Yeah, his Bat-voice was pretty iffy. At least it showed him trying to disguis his voice though, unlike the previous movies which simply had him whisper in his regular voice. As if that would somehow fool anybody.

Then again, this is the universe where Clark Kent gets by with a mere pair of glasses. :lol:

Take the spiderman movie: Peter gets bitten by a superspider that gives him his spidey skills....that's fine, but it doesn't explain why he suddenly knows how to fight.

I chalked it up to his enhanced agility and spider-sense.

It's true that Spidey has his super powers, but as a character, I've always felt that Spidey was more accessible than Batman. Batman is cool, don't get me wrong and he gets props for using brains instead of super powers... but Bruce Wayne IS Batman. I mean, Bruce Wayne is just a goofy persona that Batman wears to hide himself from the public eye. But once the cowl went on, Bruce Wayne ceased to exist. (Not to mention that he was filthy rich, and didn't have to worry about how to balance his checkbook when he got home from roping up gangsters).

Spidey, though... he got powers, but he never asked for them. It took him time and the death of his uncle before he thought to use his powers for good. And even then, he was constantly dealing with relationship issues, school, work, finances, etc. He might have put on a mask to get away and web-swing from time to time, but he was always Peter Parker.

Anyway, finally saw the movie today. I enjoyed it a lot, and I definately think it was the best Batman movie to date. I loved the way they stayed away from the more popular villians like the Joker, the Penguin, etc, and went for some second stringers like Ra's Al Ghul and Scarecrow. I loved how they really examined exactly what the murder of his parents did to Bruce, and how that path led him to becoming the Batman.

But I wouldn't exactly call it the best superhero movie ever. I think that's still subjective to whichever superhero comic book you liked best. I was always a huge Spidey fan, so I do still prefer the Spider-Man movies.

Don't know if this has been posted before--a quick search didn't turn up anything. Here's an, um, interesting short featuring Batman. I think this Bartram guy's been brought up here before. If you like crossovers this'll be right up your alley. Couldn't be any worse than that AVP crap [i still refuse to see that one, just on principal]. Not bad, for a home-made flick...

Batman: Dead End

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2474406

Edited by reddsun1

- The Tumbler weighs no more than three tons, yet it can go 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. :blink:

That's like, 6700 pounds. Those execs can't be right-they've been sipping on too many cappuccinos.

Don't know if this has been posted before--a quick search didn't turn up anything. Here's an, um, interesting short featuring Batman. I think this Bartram guy's been brought up here before. If you like crossovers this'll be right up your alley. Couldn't be any worse than that AVP crap [i still refuse to see that one, just on principal]. Not bad, for a home-made flick...

Batman: Dead End

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2474406

Yeah. Already reviewed here.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=6921

I do have one question I'd like to clear up:

SPOILER:

Am I wrong in saying that Ducard was really Ras?  I thought that was what Ducard confessed to in the mansion.  That's what I understood when I watched the movie, but my brother said something different, that wantanabe was always Ras.  Who's right?  The bit where Wayne says "mask for your true identiy."  I thought he really was before that even for how well spoken he was.  Ras' was well spoken like that.

That's my only confusion.

I like how they set it up for any number of sequels by having Arkham's mass escape, and Gordon's speech about escalation. Great stuff.

Occasionally Bale's bat-voice sounded kind of funny, but at least he tried hard and usually sounded fine.

They even managed to keep some of the Ras' Al Ghul mass destruction tendency, just with a different motivation.

Edited by Anubis

SPOILER WARNING

From seeing it tonight, I'm 99% sure Ducard was Ras..

...he gave some rant about being "hidden from sight," if I remember correctly.

Edited by GreenGuy42

Actually its odd but theres a few scenes where i was just waiting ..gasping ..to hear elfmans batman....towards the end

Dude... I totally feel you there.

I mean... this movie would have gone up a notch with Elfman's theme. I mean, the music they had was ok, but nothing spectacular. But damn... that car chase... DAMN DAMN!!!!

Just saw this earlier today. First impression: Better than I expected. I was kinda disapointed with the way they revealed Qui-Gon, I mean Liam Neeson as the main villain all along (if I understood his claim right). Would have been better to have had Watanabe back, as well, IMO.

Right now, I'd rank them:

Batman Forever (Worst Bruce Wayne but best Batman, IMO)

Batman Begins

Batman (Keaton best Bruce Wayne but never did like Tim Burton's style much).

Batman & Robin (Governator was cool but Alicia was weak. Liked Clooney).

Batman Returns (Nice scene with the milk but the rest was sad IMO)

Not that big of a batman fan, though....

Nice pics A7, which company makes the Batman toys cuz I think Hasbro doesn`t make`em anymore. I got the GBA game and it sucks.

For me Batman and Batman Returns are my best Bat movies of all time and even the late Bob Kane said that Tim Burton brought them perfect to the silver screen like his comics and BTW did know you that Bob Kane had a stoke after watching Batman & Robin, he was carried out by two guys and I do admit that Clooney does fit as the Bat but thanks to Shumacher he ****ed up.

wow, i think the blurry fight sequences fit in quite well :) with this idea in mind:

when Batman was fighting, it looked like a horror movie, and he was the scary monster, swooping down on the victims and disappearing quickly-

contributed much to Instilling fear in the superstitious, cowardly lot (the criminals!)

this movie really dwelt in the concept of Fear.

Nice pics A7, which company makes the Batman toys cuz I think Hasbro doesn`t make`em anymore. I got the GBA game and it sucks.

Fry's Electronics had the PS2/Gamecube/XBOX Batman Begins for $29.99 last week. I wonder if it's any good. ;)

Actually, the Batman Begins 14" 'Action Cape' figure is very good. Picked one up last night, and was very surprised by its quality after opening it. Mattel did a terrible job on the package design, and have the figure posed in really stupid poses, lifting head to make the neck looks funny, and using photos of some earlier prototypes that doesn't look like the toy. I wasn't sure if I want to pick it up when I see it in person like this for the first time. But I did remember seeing good pics of this guy online before, so trusted my instincts & went with the purchase. Once opened it and play with it a bit, its a very nice BIG figure, with very articulated legs, decent arms, great ball joint neck, and all joints very tight, sturdy, and has a cushiony feel. Guess they made them so that they can take the weight & quite a bit of an abuse from little kids. Sculpt & proportion is great too, though the bat ears could be longer & eyes could look more menacing. The spring loaded cape is kind of fun, and the mechanism armature can be removed, so that the cape becomes a normal cloth cape for cooler normal posing.

On sale now at Target for only $16.99, original $19.99 everywhere else. You guys should check it out.

Edited by mpchi

I do have one question I'd like to clear up:

SPOILER:

Am I wrong in saying that Ducard was really Ras?  I thought that was what Ducard confessed to in the mansion.  That's what I understood when I watched the movie, but my brother said something different, that wantanabe was always Ras.  Who's right?  The bit where Wayne says "mask for your true identiy."  I thought he really was before that even for how well spoken he was.  Ras' was well spoken like that.

That's my only confusion.

I like how they set it up for any number of sequels by having Arkham's mass escape, and Gordon's speech about escalation. Great stuff.

Occasionally Bale's bat-voice sounded kind of funny, but at least he tried hard and usually sounded fine.

They even managed to keep some of the Ras' Al Ghul mass destruction tendency, just with a different motivation.

I think they meant it to sound funny.

On the topic of the New Batmobile I now have to get the toy after seeing it in action.

I caught a late showing last night and just wanted to chime in. Did anyone else have an unexpectedly significant number of girls in their audience? I was like okay, bat geek, bat geek, me,comic book guy, girl girl girl? Huh? I'm guessing it was the Bale factor because the wife admitted she only wanted to see it because he was "hot".

Other than that, great Batman flick. I thought the part with the "backup" at Arkham was pretty damn cool. Great acting jobs all around, although I felt Katie Holme's part was pretty superfluous and maybe the script would have been just as good without a female lead of any kind. The cliff-hanger for the sequel gave me goose bumps and I'm wracking my brain to figure out who they could cast for the part. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Nice pics A7, which company makes the Batman toys cuz I think Hasbro doesn`t make`em anymore.  I got the GBA game and it sucks.   

Fry's Electronics had the PS2/Gamecube/XBOX Batman Begins for $29.99 last week. I wonder if it's any good. ;)

I picked it up for PS2. It's a tad easy, but I think it's pretty good.

Saw Batman Begins last Friday.

Before the movie, I didn't like the new Batmobile design, but now I've watched it, I do. But I gotta ask what's up with having to lie flat on your belly in order to use some of the systems. I thought that was pretty silly. I guess it's one of those things that the producers or art director (or whowever) thought looked cool, but didn't really think it through carefully.

And Neeson was Qui Gon (perhaps a darkside Qui Gon), but Qui Gon none the less. During the training swordfight on the ice, I kept expecting him to mention the force, especially when he started giving his speach about anger.

I thought the begining set up explaining how Bruce Wayne became Batman could have been a bit shorter, by say 20-30 mintutes rather than take up half the film. It would have been nice for batman to have a bit more screen time.

As for the fight scenes with Batman, I understand why they took the close up approach, but it would have been nice to have at least one major fight where we actually get to see Batman doing some moves, rather than just a flury of blurred movement and shadows.

overall I did quite enjoy it and hope the same director and main cast members get the greenlight for a sequel.

Graham

Looks like I overestimated the Batman haul this weekend. It made 71.1 Million with a take of 46.9 during the Fri to Sun. The first three Batman films broke BoxOffice records each time and the comic book movies that were #1 and recent comic book films that were #1 their release weekend made a lot more than that in just the Fri to Sun.

Looks like I overestimated the Batman haul this weekend. It made 71.1 Million with a take of 46.9 during the Fri to Sun. The first three Batman films broke BoxOffice records each time and the comic book movies that were #1 and recent comic book films that were #1 their release weekend made a lot more than that in just the Fri to Sun.

Yeah, but I think that Marvel has just been flooding the market with comic book movies lately, so they're not as exciting as they were. Also, I think that even with the passage of time, some people still remember the older Batman movies, and might have been a bit put off.