Batman Begins !

This film actually has a very good chance of reviving the Batman film franchise and treating the character with some much needed respect. Christopher Nolan is known for some of the most engaging, complex, and entertaining thrillers. With him at the helm, it's very likely Batman Begins will feature a very engrossing plot, focusing upon the detective/crime story roots of the Batman character. Not only that, Nolan proved in Memento that he can pull off mood and atmosphere (and a dark character) whilst keeping the film grounded and the lead character likeable.

The casting sure shows plenty of promise. Christian Bale is a very welcome sight for the lead role. He's pulled off some very dark characters with style and he's beginning to look the right age for Wayne. Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon was a fine decision. It'll be a treat to see a skilled actor like Oldman play outside his usual typecast roles as the villain. Cillian Murphy is another talented young actor who doesn't fit the silly Hollywood mold, which is why he'll more than likely light up the screen...even in a small role. Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, and Micheal Caine need no introduction and all point toward smart casting. Looking at the cast overall, it's filled with many wisely chosen actors, surprisingly devoid of silly trend selling choices.

I've got a good feeling about this one.

I'm also worried about continuity problems. Billy Dee Williams and Tommy Lee Jones both played the same character Harvey Dent (Two Face). But that's a whole different story, I'm also pleased with the strong cast, and the logo looks like something out of a Frank Miller comic. I can't wait. B))

Interesting...The symbol looks similar to the old symbol. The pre-bat-in-the-oval that is (1927- 1950s? and current).

(Pic courtesy of DC Comics)

pic_lrgbm627cvr.jpg

As for the continuity, I don't think it's going to be a problem. Batman Begins is really suppose to restart the movie franchise. And their going back to the early days of Batman's career. If Michael Caine is Alfred, that's a much younger looking Alfred than the Michael Gough version. And Gary Oldman as younger Lt. James Gordon. I'm more interested in the costume designs, the Batmobile (which is suppose to have a big chase scene in the movie) and such.

I really wan't speaking about continuity concerning the previous films. I think UNSpacy got my point. I'm ready to discharge all memory of the previous films for this new movie coming up. I'm worried that all these big names will eventually drop out of their roles and not do the sequels, such as Gary Oldman won't stay long enough to make Commisioner.

Speaking of, I'm really shocked to hear that picked Oldman as the straight and narrow Gordon. I've always seen him as the sleazy type, which he is best at, like the role he played in The Professional. But I've never really been disappointed with him.

I have great confidence that Christopher Nolan will bring Batman the much needed grit and darkness it deserves. If he maintains the tone he had in Insomnia and Memento, we may very well get the greatest batman movie ever!

Edited by GobotFool

On the note of continuity, Batman Begins is not a sequel. The entire premise of the film is to create an adaptation of the early years of Batman. This means a new director adapting the source material, not building upon previous films. A very smart move in my opinion.

Halle Barry is all pissed she still has to play Storm. :)

I'd rather have her playing more Storm roles than funkifying the new Catwoman movie she's supposed to star in. :(

I wouldn't be too concerned about character continuity. They're signing actors to 2-3 picture deals with franchise films nowadays. Halle Barry is all pissed she still has to play Storm. :)

Yup... the studios have gotten smart. Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, the Harry Potter kids, the LotR gang... these folks all have contracts more airtight than a nuclear sub, binding them to sequels.

I just think they should do the same with the directors. Changing directors can seriously change the mood of a film series. I'm just glad they seem to have Raimi and Singer aboard to keep doing X-men and Spidey movies.

Of course, I think the new Harry Potter director will be the best the series will ever have.

Of course, I think the new Harry Potter director will be the best the series will ever have.

Chris Columbus wasn't signed on to direct all of the Potter series? :ph34r:

It's also too bad that Burton didn't want to direct Batman Forever. :blink:

Edited by UN Spacy

Chris Columbus wasn't signed on to direct all of the Potter series? :ph34r:

It's also too bad that Burton didn't want to direct Batman Forever. :blink:

Nope, Columbus did a fair job on the first 2...

But Alfonso Cuaron is directing the 3rd... which is my favorite of the books and should be just plain kickass. Mike Newell will be doing the 4th... which could be good, but he's no visionary like Cuaron.

I still they think they should have went with Rowling's original choice... Terry Gilliam. Now, that would have been a killer HP director.

I'm actually looking foward to this one.

Christian Bale was a pretty good choise. Finally we have a dude who looks like Bruce Wayne, and his wood acting may actually helps portrait a very cold and emotionless Batman :p

Would be nice to see retro Batman though... everything after the first Batman only made it fruitier and fruitier...

It was sorta like Burton said "Hey, I'm going to make a Batman movie that's like the comic books!" It does well, spawns a weird sequel and a good cartoon, so WB Pictures is like, "Hey, let's make another Batman movie! If Burton doesn't want to do it, we'll give it to someone else." And they (the people who did Forever and Batman and Robin, sorry, I don't remember their names) were like "Batman? Oh, you mean that old show with Adam West!"

The name on the list that catches my attention the most there, though, is Ken Watanabe as Ra's Al Ghul. I thought he was the real star in The Last Samurai, and if Batman Begins does well, Watanabe could be the next Asian start to make it big here in the US.

Are there any shots of potential costumes or concepts yet?

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showth...threadid=103447

There's some fanart in that thread based on the spy reports. We have a rough idea as well. The suit is dark charcol grey-ish color with the cape, cowl, boots and gloves a dark-blue/almost black color. The belt will have compartments for tools and will be a dark yellow color. There's some more details in that thread.

SCARECROW?!?

A very interesting addition. Scarecrow can be bad, or can be cool depending on how they portray him.

This movie's shaping up good so far.

Well... it IS viewable on the batmanbegins official website and AICN has a story on it.

Personally, I'd like it to be THE batmobile of the movie... I don't want him to have too much crap... it weighs down the believability of the story, IMHO.