I May get Flamed but...

Unbeheld

Is it just me or M7 does not live up to the original. I just saw the first 20 episodes or so and it's a real pain in the ass. The main guy is beyond annoying where all he does is every 5 sec i'm gonna sing sing sing for the first 20 episodes... the animation is mediocre using lot of "flashback" of the same frames, etc... it's just not "deep" enough like the original, i actually feel like watching a kiddy cartoon. Not to mention the fact they turned max and miriya into comic relief is just too much.... Does it get better cause as of right now i can't seem to finish the other 29 episodes.... Is there people who feel the same way or am i just the only one who finds m7 kinda suxor :unsure:

Sorry, just trying to be honest here..

You'll no doubt start contravesy with this post, but hopefully you won't get flamed. Most likley this topic will just get locked, but it may run civil enough to discuss the subject.

I've only seen the first two episodes of Macross 7 and the complete OVA Dynamite seven, so I'm not really an expert by any stretch. I agree the series is lacking and certainly has failed to grab my attention, unlike all the other Macross series and films. I can only sympathize and say you're not the only one to feel disappointed. But remember, even the best of franchises all have their black sheep (fifth season Babylon 5, Star Trek Voyager, Star Wars Episode One, et cetera).

Macross 7 is an aquired taste. It is "different".

I myself have not aquired the taste... I tend to spit it out fast and wash my mouth out.

Some people like it, some people don't. Some people wish complete and utter death to it and some hold it on high like the golden calf... but it's that way with just about anything in the world any more.

Macross 7 is an aquired taste. It is "different".

I myself have not aquired the taste... I tend to spit it out fast and wash my mouth out.

Some people like it, some people don't. Some people wish complete and utter death to it and some hold it on high like the golden calf... but it's that way with just about anything in the world any more.

Couldn't have said it better.

Being one of the few who did like M7, it really is an acquired taste. But it's like that with many things. Heck, I have a co-worker who won't eat anything besides burgers, mac and cheese, and the like. If you like it, kudos. If you don't like it, kudos.

Can't really do anything about it.

I agree with JsARCLIGHT and azrael. It's not for everyone. I would disagree that it's "not as deep" as the original, though. The show just concentrates on different aspects. More about character developement than the war story or action scenes. It's also a very upbeat show. There's depressing and somber parts , but overall it's very upbeat.

As far as the animation, you may be looking at SDF Macross through the rose-tinted sunglasses of nostalgia. Mac7 has overall better animation quality than the original series, but it's still not great, and the action scenes really suffered, where as in the original show those tended to get the best animation. Don't get me wrong, the animation in Mac7 isn't wonderful or anything, it is decidedly low budget, but it's consistent and well drawn.

Still, it is a very different show.

And I need more sleep.

You are obviously a smart man... M7 is total lameness upon complete crap... Its shittines can not be bested.

M7 is like watching Elton John and Richard Gere shave each other's asses, and having it last 20 hours.

You are obviously a smart man... M7 is total lameness upon complete crap... Its shittines can not be bested.

M7 is like watching Elton John and Richard Gere shave each other's asses, and having it last 20 hours.

Well, what the hell, after the last couple posts, this thread is doomed anyway.

Good ole' Richard GERBIL :rolleyes:

macross 7, eh, I've watched some of it, and I just rlly, don't like it. It's not even that I don't like JPOP, I actually do like the music.. but I mean... the concept is a little over the top. Macross 7 is to Macross Series as G-Gundam is to Gundam. But at least G-Gundam was an alternate universe. People fighting each other by screaming songs is a little bit ridiculous if you ask me...

macross 7, eh, I've watched some of it, and I just rlly, don't like it. It's not even that I don't like JPOP, I actually do like the music.. but I mean... the concept is a little over the top. Macross 7 is to Macross Series as G-Gundam is to Gundam. But at least G-Gundam was an alternate universe. People fighting each other by screaming songs is a little bit ridiculous if you ask me...

Totally ridiculous...

Every duel should have only been fought... by space-banjo!

:puts on asbestos suit:

I personally want to state for the "record" I have not seen more than an episode or two of Macross 7 including The Galaxy is Calling Me. I have not seen enough to make a definative statement about the series. Fighting with "music" seems like a stretch, but I want to see more to make my own judgement. I found it "Interesting".

I personally listen to the Macross 7 soundtracks and the "Mylene Jenius Sings Lynn Minmay" and I like them. But, one specific song I can refer to (of which the name is in Japanese)... it sounds like Mylene is yelling "Itchy Cootchie Bang Bang"?? I find it just plain annoying.

Having watched all of Macross 7, including the movies and Dynamite 7, I gotta say it kind of grew on me... especially Dynamite 7. I just think that the series could have been about 20 episodes shorter. About midway through, the re-use of animation started to wear on me ("Oh boy... yet another pointless battle ends with Gamlin blasting Ivane with the laser adaptor... didn't see <i>that</i> coming." :rolleyes: ) and I was totally sick of "Planet Dance" and "Totsugeki Love Heart" by the end <_< (especially since Fire Bomber has other songs that are considerably better).

Macross 7 was not what I expected. Kinda beared through the 1st few episodes with dread and after awhile i grew to like it. I mean, ignore all the "attack of the week" segments which I felt could be done without. Don't ask geeky Macross questions like how much ships in the M7 fleet has been destroyed and how insane their casualties are.

Concentrate instead on the characters and their lives. If you want cool mecha action, M7 is not for you, maybe a few gem moments here and there but its mostly repeated animation anyway.

I'd think, you can never truly be a Macross fan until you learn to love M7, this slightly deformed child of "big giant froating head".

PS: I love Fire Bomber...gotta be one of the best compilations for anime ever.

I've noticed most fans of a given franchise don't like what the show is really about. They like whatever it is they wanted it to be or what they thought it was before, and the nostalgia.

This is very true. I take Star Wars as an example. "Fans" hated episode 1 & 2 because they wanted the original triology and the feelings it evoked. Eps 1& 2 failed utterly on this. I wouldn't think Episode 1 & 2 are bad if I've never seen Star Wars in my entire life.

macross 7, eh, I've watched some of it, and I just rlly, don't like it. It's not even that I don't like JPOP, I actually do like the music.. but I mean... the concept is a little over the top. Macross 7 is to Macross Series as G-Gundam is to Gundam. But at least G-Gundam was an alternate universe. People fighting each other by screaming songs is a little bit ridiculous if you ask me

You don't understand M7's concept then, since you've only seen some of it. Its not about people fighting by screaming at each other. Its about spiritual energy. The power of belief and faith. Singing is just a medium to express that energy. Don't know much about it, but we'll probably learn more from Macross Zero (hopefully) what's the deal with singing and powers.

I like Macross 7 but yes it is no where near what Macross TV was like

It is sorta like what the Hobbit is for the LotR trilogy the Hobbit is much less epic, the action and seriousness is toned down quite a bit, a majority of the characters are sorta bland and pointless, can be quite goofy at times, and you have to wait till the very end for the kick ass stuff. But all in all it was a good book sure it wasn't as good as Lord of the rings but it was still a good book. (Now that is My opinion others may say the hobbit is better)

OK mods, come one, someone needs to pin this since it keeps comming up so much. Just make one big Macross 7 discussion (I use that term loosly) thread.

Though as much as it makes me want to slam my head repeatedly on a steel plate to relive the pain of Basara's singing, it did breing me all those bad-ass demonic looking Varuta VFs.

Edited by Druna Skass

my main problem with the way macross is going is their tend toward "magic music".

that is definately not my thing. valks powered by musical instrument controlls is just way too silly for me to get intrested in so unfortunately M7 kills my intrest before i even get into it.

in all reality i probably only like SDF mac and Mac plus.

So you want cool, deep and epic and hate whatever denies the sheer thought of trying to achieving them? You demanding bastard! :p

Btw, I viewed the show as a funny one and enjoyed it more than some serious shows where everyone has its chance to hop into the robot and get killed. There's plenty of ways for stupid deaths in anime.

This doesn't mean 7 is perfect, or nearly perfect, or half perfect. It has its flaws, but the jokes were just intended to be jokes.

FV

So because the person singing is moved off of the bridge and into a valkyrie, its lame? The valkyries aren't "powered" by the singing either, they're specially outfitted to amplify. I don't even like most of the music, but I like the show.

Oh, and SW Episode 1 was just as stupid as the OT.

I saw the entire series on three copies of a copy VHS, and I loved it. Even though the third tape had no sound (which in a way was better because I always found Mylene's speaking voice a little annoying), but I missed out on some of the later, cooler songs. Yes, it was silly, valks with boobs, speaker-pod firing guns, etc. But that doesn't automatically make it crap. As has been said before, to each their own. There's no sense in trying to make people hate or love something they don't. And I like VF-19s in blue, it's a good look.

Yes, Macross 7 is an acquired taste. Apparently, I have that taste. :lol: Anyway, I really enjoy M7 and have probably watched it more than the original TV series. Yes, it does get very annoying and it probably could have been shorter and still have manged to get its point across but....

I like the fact that it sheds more light on the Protoculture and that we get a glimpse of Max and Millia's future together...even if they are relegated to comic relief type stature.

To each thier own on this one. For the most part I don't like Macross 7. It has a few instances where its really good but overall its disappointing (to me). Besides Basara(whom I can't stand), the characters are really boring and uninteresting. Also the villians don't really stand out as threatening. More laughable if anything.

The series does pick up about half way through and the ending is good. The series should have been 26 episodes. The aniumation is kinda subpar for its time(mid 90's anime TV series). A shorter episode count could have helped.

I know some people are turned off by the idea of pilots with instruments. This never bothered me. Its really no different than Minmay singing to the Zentraedi.