VF-2JA, Macross II

sc_planet

This is a 1/72 VF-2JA resin.  I think it should be a WF kit back to 2013.  

This took me almost 1 year to finish especially due to the horrible holes on the surface.  

Hope to finish another project in 2 months.    

Photo 1.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

Photo 5.jpg

Photo 6.jpg

Photo 7.jpg

Photo 8 .jpg

Photo 9.jpeg

Photo 10.JPG

Photo 11 copy.jpg

Photo 12 copy.jpeg

28 minutes ago, sc_planet said:

This took me almost 1 year to finish especially due to the horrible holes on the surface.  

Photo 1.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

Photo 5.jpg

Photo 6.jpg

Photo 7.jpg

Photo 8 .jpg

Photo 9.jpeg

Photo 10.JPG

Photo 11 copy.jpg

Photo 12 copy.jpeg

Nice work, I really like this one

1 hour ago, sc_planet said:

Photo 1.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

Photo 5.jpg

Photo 6.jpg

Photo 7.jpg

Photo 8 .jpg

Photo 9.jpeg

Photo 10.JPG

Photo 11 copy.jpg

Photo 12 copy.jpeg

Nicely done on the VF-2JA!

nice work...

Now to nitpick.

The first thing i see that might be/should be wrong is the size and placement of the Jet Intake warning. Unless it would be common for that inlet cover to be at a higher angle when on the ground, the markings should extend along the outside of the inlet covers in some manner along each edge, merging at the front of the plate (see PIC #2's angle).

The second thing is that there should be No Step markings on the UNDERSIDE of the wings as well (because the JA's wings are hydraulically hinged to flex in both directions when in Gerwalk mode)

Third? No 03 high on the tail (because when you are an AD working in Power Plants WC in a futuristic Fighter Squadron and Maintenance Control sends you out to do a 30-day inspection on those Inlet Covers, MC would have told you Modex # 03, so you're looking at the highest point on each aircraft, to make sure you are working on the CORRECT fighter)

were there any pics of either fighter, on the ground and idle, in Macross II: LA?

Congrats on having this awesome VF-2JA kit, I didn't know a 1/72 existed. 

Come om Bandai, get off your Duff and make this amazing Valk a reality, HMR or DX, I'm good either way.

2 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Congrats on having this awesome VF-2JA kit, I didn't know a 1/72 existed. 

Come om Bandai, get off your Duff and make this amazing Valk a reality, HMR or DX, I'm good either way.

How about a hg kit as well 

9 hours ago, TehPW said:

nice work...

Now to nitpick.

The first thing i see that might be/should be wrong is the size and placement of the Jet Intake warning. Unless it would be common for that inlet cover to be at a higher angle when on the ground, the markings should extend along the outside of the inlet covers in some manner along each edge, merging at the front of the plate (see PIC #2's angle).

The second thing is that there should be No Step markings on the UNDERSIDE of the wings as well (because the JA's wings are hydraulically hinged to flex in both directions when in Gerwalk mode)

Third? No 03 high on the tail (because when you are an AD working in Power Plants WC in a futuristic Fighter Squadron and Maintenance Control sends you out to do a 30-day inspection on those Inlet Covers, MC would have told you Modex # 03, so you're looking at the highest point on each aircraft, to make sure you are working on the CORRECT fighter)

were there any pics of either fighter, on the ground and idle, in Macross II: LA?

Very impressive comment and much detailed than then official specification. Look forward to seeing your prefect work

Nice work salvaging that resin kit. Looks like it needed a lot of work!

You did a really good job with what many would have abandoned. You should be proud of it. It turned out looking really good!

It is unfortunate that this wonderful design has not seen a transforming toy, even a Hi Metal R would be wonderful! Great job with the kit and paint job!

Twich

8 hours ago, sc_planet said:

Very impressive comment and much detailed than then official specification. Look forward to seeing your prefect work

I could take your comment several ways... but I'll be the adult here and just let it pass (because explaining my comment to you will take time and effort, that I am unwilling to spend!)

Ok, because the urge is Overwhelming... My point was that, by using my personal experiences in military aviation, as well as my love of all things Macross, I had hoped to improve someone else's efforts (Not belittle them, as your scathing retort was).

But thanks for expressing your opinion on a public forum! I will accept your apology in PM form...

33 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

I always thought it was strange that the 2J and 2S/2SS were essentially entirely different fighters.

There is no details on linage of the 2J and 2S series (outside of line art from the two games that exist in the LA timeline, to my knowledge) so, unlike after series (I'm looking at frontier mainly with the YF-24 -> VF-25 but the VF-0 -> VF-1 applies as well), its really in the realm of fandom (especially, when the production of LA did nothing to follow through) of which came first: The Chicken or the Egg... when you look at the line art for the VF-2JA, just how much of the VF-1's DNA do we see? I ask that because we see nothing of the VF-4 in any of the LA Mechanicals...

On 3/23/2024 at 6:50 PM, sc_planet said:

Photo 1.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

Photo 5.jpg

Photo 6.jpg

Photo 7.jpg

Photo 8 .jpg

Photo 9.jpeg

Photo 10.JPG

Photo 11 copy.jpg

Photo 12 copy.jpeg

You did a very fine job , i love it ! Congratulations on having such a rare kit and even building it :good:

5 hours ago, TehPW said:

There is no details on linage of the 2J and 2S series (outside of line art from the two games that exist in the LA timeline, to my knowledge) so, unlike after series (I'm looking at frontier mainly with the YF-24 -> VF-25 but the VF-0 -> VF-1 applies as well), its really in the realm of fandom (especially, when the production of LA did nothing to follow through) of which came first: The Chicken or the Egg... when you look at the line art for the VF-2JA, just how much of the VF-1's DNA do we see? I ask that because we see nothing of the VF-4 in any of the LA Mechanicals...

I don't necessarily expect to see traces of vf-1 (or vf-4) in the vf-2. In the same way that the f-14 doesn't resemble an f-15 or f-16.

But vf-1a, vf-1d, vf-1j, vf-s are all clearly minor variations on the main vf-1 design. Same similarity can be seen in vf-11, vf-17, vf-25, and vf-31 variants. And others as well. Variants being barely more than a head change in most cases.

Then you look at vf-2j and vf-2s and they are about as different as an f-14 is to an f-15. How can they really both be called vf-2? I always wondered why it wasn't vf-2 and vf-3 or something. It's bothered me ever since I first saw the show lol.

43 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

I don't necessarily expect to see traces of vf-1 (or vf-4) in the vf-2. In the same way that the f-14 doesn't resemble an f-15 or f-16.

But vf-1a, vf-1d, vf-1j, vf-s are all clearly minor variations on the main vf-1 design. Same similarity can be seen in vf-11, vf-17, vf-25, and vf-31 variants. And others as well. Variants being barely more than a head change in most cases.

Then you look at vf-2j and vf-2s and they are about as different as an f-14 is to an f-15. How can they really both be called vf-2? I always wondered why it wasn't vf-2 and vf-3 or something. It's bothered me ever since I first saw the show lol.

Maybe the LACK of development falls in line with the perceived Malas or Blah that was apparent (especially in the manner the UN Spacy conducts their first engagements with the Marduk). The commander in charge of that battle looked... for a better word, Bored. To me, now that i think about things, that seems so unlikely but back in 1992-3, when I first watched MII:LA, that's how I viewed the politics of the story. If the UN Spacy has been either destroying or outright subverting random Zentradi forces with ease, the urge to be on the cutting edge, probably dulled (if there wasn't any profit in it, at that point).

What was the story about this kit? It wasn't made by an authorized vendor, was it? (the lack of details underside bothered me, in those pics)

It’s been way too long since I’ve rewatched MII, I was looking for how this thing lands. I didn’t see any landing gear doors in the pictures I saw. I was assuming the stabilizers folded for landing. Does it just dock? Or just park in gerwalk?

On 3/24/2024 at 1:13 PM, TehPW said:

This is the kind of constructive feedback that makes us better model makers.  I really wish more members would look at my work with a more critical eye, or at least be more willing to point out observations like this...  Unfortunately, since some people are quick to take offence, all we usually get is effluent praise.

Personally, I'm surprised nobody questioned how Hayao Kakizaki survived to pilot a VF-2JA... 😉

I think it's important to keep in mind that all models are interpretations by the builder that can be as dedicated as possible to factional/fictional datums or just simply as fanciful. Neither is wrong, especially in a fantasy work such as this.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

This is the kind of constructive feedback that makes us better model makers.  I really wish more members would look at my work with a more critical eye, or at least be more willing to point out observations like this...  Unfortunately, since some people are quick to take offence, all we usually get is effluent praise.

Personally, I'm surprised nobody questioned how Hayao Kakizaki survived to pilot a VF-2JA... 😉

I also noticed the minovsky particle detection sensor decal... sometimes you have to get creative with decals from the spares pile when your kit lacks bespoke decals.

1 hour ago, Thom said:

I think it's important to keep in mind that all models are interpretations by the builder that can be as dedicated as possible to factional/fictional datums or just simply as fanciful. Neither is wrong, especially in a fantasy work such as this.

Right? I consider the mecha in Macross are themselves a type of interpretation of real-life combat machines.

Edited by pengbuzz

Hi all, since the VF-2JA is the subject here I had a question, if this belongs elsewhere, feel free to correct me. 

There are some 3D Printed 2JA files online, my question is, if you do NOT have a 3D printer, is there another way to get one made? 

vf2ja.jpg VF-2JA Icarus

2 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Hi all, since the VF-2JA is the subject here I had a question, if this belongs elsewhere, feel free to correct me. 

There are some 3D Printed 2JA files online, my question is, if you do NOT have a 3D printer, is there another way to get one made? 

vf2ja.jpg VF-2JA Icarus

3D printing companies like Shapeways, Universities/Technical Colleges, Friends...

6 hours ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

I also noticed the minovsky particle detection sensor decal... sometimes you have to get creative with decals from the spares pile when your kit lacks bespoke decals.

I noticed it as well, but I had searched for images of this thing the other day and it was hard to find images other than just kite symbols. Sometimes you gotta add a little flavor to make things pop. And sometimes there’s no other decals laying around other than a few from a leftover gundam. I think the finished model looks great and if it hadn’t, I wouldn’t have been so interested in looking up images on a design that doesn’t seem to get any attention 

On 3/25/2024 at 2:06 PM, Big s said:

It’s been way too long since I’ve rewatched MII, I was looking for how this thing lands. I didn’t see any landing gear doors in the pictures I saw. I was assuming the stabilizers folded for landing. Does it just dock? Or just park in gerwalk?

Can’t find any landing gear illustrations either, but we can assume it has them since it’s supposed to be primarily an atmospheric VF, as opposed to the VF-2SS that is mainly a space fighter.

Stabilizers do swivel away hidden into the shins.

BE2B5CD7-6D64-47C4-A412-B143E6AD3475.png.43fc1950c4ed9dd5cdb4ab54d42f5cd0.png

11 hours ago, MKT said:

Can’t find any landing gear illustrations either, but we can assume it has them since it’s supposed to be primarily an atmospheric VF, as opposed to the VF-2SS that is mainly a space fighter.

Stabilizers do swivel away hidden into the shins.

BE2B5CD7-6D64-47C4-A412-B143E6AD3475.png.43fc1950c4ed9dd5cdb4ab54d42f5cd0.png

Lets make some assumptions, based on what we do know about the VF-1 (in regards to its landing gear in the leg nacelles), as well as the VF-2SS (which does have line art including landing gear)

1) the Gears on its mains probably deploy the same way (and direction) as the VF-1 

2) Look closely in the picture provided (TU for that). There is a panel line directly underside of the cockpit. Its directly underside and long enough to suggest much. I would suspect that is the hatch for the nose gear.

Also what does the Kanji say on the notice that is placed on the first underside notation (from Left to Right)?

Edited by TehPW
after checking Macross Mecha Manual's MII:LA page

On 3/27/2024 at 12:32 PM, TehPW said:

Also what does the Kanji say on the notice that is placed on the first underside notation (from Left to Right)?

"Arms rotate, legs swing down." 😅

Edited by tekering

1 hour ago, tekering said:

"Arms rotate, legs swing down." 😅

🤭Let me be specific: I'm talking about the side view (below #2). From Left to Right, it would be the second notation (but the first one under the side profile) I'm gonna guess its NOT landing gear but something dealing with the Transformation pivot point?

Edited by TehPW

... The one BELOW the caption you posted (You are awesome, simply by captioning that imagine of #2, For the Record) :D Its the SIDE view of the expansion, explaining the arms, how they rotate.