Barbie (live action), in theaters Jul 21, 2023

no3Ljm

On 7/22/2023 at 12:14 PM, Raikkonen said:

They took a toy brand aimed at young girls, and promoted the film to bring the whole family to the theatre. But, delivered a film with endless adult context layered on a existential crises where the bottom line is to hate men and hate being in relationships. I don't think it's a joke. 

That's aside the uncomfortable lines that responsible parents don't want to explain to their kids. 

My biggest surprise is how did Mattel ever sign on this? 

You obviously haven't seen the movie. There is literally nothing in it about hating men. Ryan Gosling was incredibly likeable. As were the other male characters.

It was hilarious.

37 minutes ago, danth said:

You obviously haven't seen the movie. There is literally nothing in it about hating men. Ryan Gosling was incredibly likeable. As were the other male characters.

It was hilarious.

I have and there is. 

35 minutes ago, danth said:

It's 90% on Rotten Tomatoes.

You just gotta ignore the alt right troll reviews and you'll be good.

Oh... There we go...  ignore the "alt right"... 

So whenever there's a opposing opinion, it's alt right, because you're left, right?

I’m not a Barbie person, but I’m not even excited when a Transformers or GI Joe movie comes out. Maybe if a good He Man movie happens, but even then it would be tough to take a movie with a main character named He Man seriously and I don’t think I’d want just a parody.

Good or bad, 155 million on it’s opening weekend will definitely get a sequel for those that grew up with Barbie

54 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

Oh... There we go...  ignore the "alt right"... 

So whenever there's a opposing opinion, it's alt right, because you're left, right?

Lemme me stop you right there. Is there a reason you didn't like it? Without getting political? No? Then just say "I didn't like it" and walk away.

Spoiler

Was anybody else kinda left flat by the "real world" segment in the second act? I didn't find the Mattel storyline particularly compelling. Once we got back to the Barbie world it really picked back up for me.

1 hour ago, Duke Togo said:
  Hide contents

Was anybody else kinda left flat by the "real world" segment in the second act? I didn't find the Mattel storyline particularly compelling. Once we got back to the Barbie world it really picked back up for me.

Spoiler

I guess they could have figured out how not to introduce the "real world" , but it was probably the easiest way to progress the story?

Seems the "real world" was the catalyst needed to turn the "Kens" into "stereotypical" males by showing them that in the "real" world....men run everything...

It also served as the catalyst that broke "stereotypical" Barbie's assertion that their existense was solely responsible for every benefit that girls/women have in the "real" world....and also, like the apple in the garden of Eden...once she "took a bite" she couldn't go back to how things were in "Barbie Land"...

What I don't get is what happens in "Barbieland" now that Pandora's box has been opened?....to me it seemed like they were going back to how things were, but a sort of mirror image of the real world where the Barbies are now giving the Kens "some" extra rights and roles....seemed like an odd conclusion if you were trying to criticize our current societal heirarchy....

27 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

I'm going to see this and Haunted Mansion this weekend...

It looks really good....hoping that they found the perfect mix of creepy and funny  this time around....as The Haunted Mansion is my favorite of the classic Disney rides...I'm hoping for sequels and prequels....it worked for PotC for a while...lol

Edited by jvmacross

15 hours ago, Duke Togo said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I liked the beach & school scenes but the Mattel headquarters scene definitely felt less fun, more dark and uncomfortable. But for me it could be because of Will Ferrell...unpopular opinion but I find him completely unfunny and uncharismatic.

25 minutes ago, danth said:
  Hide contents

I liked the beach & school scenes but the Mattel headquarters scene definitely felt less fun, more dark and uncomfortable. But for me it could be because of Will Ferrell...unpopular opinion but I find him completely unfunny and uncharismatic.

Spoiler

I agree, the Mattel scenes are the real problem. They just don't work very well.

On 7/22/2023 at 5:11 PM, Raikkonen said:

Yes, it has it's funny moments, but towards the end it's all about telling how girls don't need relationships. I don't know how the joke could be on you or anyone in this case? 

TBH, this sounds like pretty sound unisex life advice... it's a bad idea to define yourself by your relationship(s), and if you're not happy on your own you're not going to be happy in a relationship.

FWIW, what I've seen about this film has been overwhelmingly positive.  My family and I are gonna go do the Barbenheimer double-feature this weekend. :) 

As an interesting side note, the History of Everything Podcast's YouTube channel recently did a video explaining the historical context behind the Barbie movie being banned in Vietnam and the Philippenes.

Edited by Seto Kaiba
I am a typo-making machine today!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Watched BARBIE on MAX last night. Very over the top film with a risky story line that paid off. Definitely not for kids tho, lol. That being said I read a sequel won't be happening but I bet money we'll see a Broadway musical version in the near future and it will make mad money.

Also noticed the film was a yuge commercial for GM EVs which is ridiculous as they are limited in availability. More money wasted by GM, again.

Edited by TangledThorns

Wife and I watched Barbie last night. Or, more accurately, my wife did. I quit after an hour. I don't get the hype. I mean, the performances we got out of the cast ranged from solid to great, but the writing was unsubtle, unfunny, and frankly boring.

Edited by mikeszekely

51 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Wife and I watched Barbie last night. Or, more accurately, my wife did. I quit after an hour. I don't get the hype. I mean, the performances we got out of the cast ranged from solid to great, but the wiring was unsubtle, unfunny, and frankly boring.

We watched it over the weekend and I felt the same although I finished it. It seemed more like a Netflix movie rather than a big budget film and although I got the jokes, they just weren’t very good jokes and it was a surprisingly slow movie. I’m definitely not the target audience for this one 

• 2 months later...

What I've been telling people about Barbie is that when you look at movie franchises like Fast and the Furious or Transformers, it's only fair that the ladies get their big, dumb movie, too. 😅

I just wish the lesson Mattel learned wasn't "Hey, let's make movies about all of our toys now!"

10 hours ago, Jeff J said:

What I've been telling people about Barbie is that when you look at movie franchises like Fast and the Furious or Transformers, it's only fair that the ladies get their big, dumb movie, too. 😅

I just wish the lesson Mattel learned wasn't "Hey, let's make movies about all of our toys now!"

So a movie where He Man comes into the real world. Didn’t that kinda already happen?

I’m old and forgetting what other toys Mattel put out. I remember a lot of Hasbro and Kenner and eventually Playmates and Mcfarlane, but other than Masters of the Universe related items and Barbs, I’m drawing a blank 

1 hour ago, Big s said:

So a movie where He Man comes into the real world. Didn’t that kinda already happen?

I’m old and forgetting what other toys Mattel put out. I remember a lot of Hasbro and Kenner and eventually Playmates and Mcfarlane, but other than Masters of the Universe related items and Barbs, I’m drawing a blank 

I think MotU was about it.

After Barbie became an instant hit, there were articles coming out about a planned Mattel Cinematic Universe