Barbie (live action), in theaters Jul 21, 2023

no3Ljm

• azrael changed the title to Barbie (live action), in theaters Jul 21, 2023
34 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

I doubt the movie will be any good but whoever came up with that trailer deserves an Oscar.

Given the talent in front of, and behind, the camera, this thing has a lot more promise than it has any right to.

12 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I doubt the movie will be any good but whoever came up with that trailer deserves an Oscar.

They’re gonna have some competition from the makers of that Cocaine Bear trailer.

I bet you the premise is the same as The Lego Movie. It is just some little rich girl playing with all her Barbies.  Rich Mommy and Rich Daddy buy her every Barbie because they think you show love by buying people stuff. Lesson they learn is you can't buy love.  You show it by playing Barbie with your child.

Don't think it will happen but. I want there to be nude scenes of Ken and Barbie.  With  smooth featureless crotches like the dolls.

They would wind up scissoring, Barbie somehow becomes impregnated, and then Ken suddenly ghosts her.

Barbie goes through all seven stages of grief (Fat Barbie, Denial Barbie, Angry Barbie, etc.) and then establishes her empire (real estate, cars, clothing lines, billions upon billions of accessories).

Edited by Mog

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Without text indicting this is a "Fan trailer" the above post is clickbait spam.

This post goes out to everyone. Don't randomly share pictures, videos or links without at least once sentence about it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Uhm... Wow!

Spoiler
Spoiler

A F-inist tilt was always expected with a brand like Barbie, and that'd be perfectly fine if done with subtlety, light-hearted humor and cleverness; but holy scat, they've pulled off an epic bait and switch and delivered a full-on spiteful propaganda manifesto that one would need to be fully indoctrinated or willfully blind not to notice.

1 hour ago, mechaninac said:

Uhm... Wow!

Hide contents
  Reveal hidden contents

A F-inist tilt was always expected with a brand like Barbie, and that'd be perfectly fine if done with subtlety, light-hearted humor and cleverness; but holy scat, they've pulled off an epic bait and switch and delivered a full-on spiteful propaganda manifesto that one would need to be fully indoctrinated or willfully blind not to notice.

I haven't seen it but this feels like a review from someone who isn't in on the joke or doesn't get that the whole thing is a joke. Of course Barbie needs to be the center of the universe and Ken just her arm candy...

47 minutes ago, jenius said:

I haven't seen it but this feels like a review from someone who isn't in on the joke or doesn't get that the whole thing is a joke. Of course Barbie needs to be the center of the universe and Ken just her arm candy...

They took a toy brand aimed at young girls, and promoted the film to bring the whole family to the theatre. But, delivered a film with endless adult context layered on a existential crises where the bottom line is to hate men and hate being in relationships. I don't think it's a joke. 

That's aside the uncomfortable lines that responsible parents don't want to explain to their kids. 

My biggest surprise is how did Mattel ever sign on this? 

Edited by Raikkonen

The movie looks bad, but even if it was good I don’t think I’d bother with it. I kinda doubt there will be too many that are not little girls wanting to see this, and then ignorant parents finding out it’s not as much of a kids thing 

1 hour ago, Raikkonen said:

They took a toy brand aimed at young girls, and promoted the film to bring the whole family to the theatre. But, delivered a film with endless adult context layered on a existential crises where the bottom line is to hate men and hate being in relationships. I don't think it's a joke. 

That's aside the uncomfortable lines that responsible parents don't want to explain to their kids. 

My biggest surprise is how did Mattel ever sign on this? 

Clearly this isn't for everyone. I didn't get the impression this was a family movie so maybe that's on me. I never thought for a second a license about a girl who can do everything with a boy who is only attractive would end up being anything but.. ya know... That. If it wasn't, people would complain for other reasons. Maybe it's heavy handed but it's a comedy right?

I guess that's what I want to know, is it funny? If it's not funny, then it's an easy pass. I don't mind if the joke is on me if I can still laugh at it.

Edited by jenius

31 minutes ago, jenius said:

Clearly this isn't for everyone. I didn't get the impression this was a family movie so maybe that's on me. I never thought for a second a license about a girl who can do everything with a boy who is only attractive would end up being anything but.. ya know... That. If it wasn't, people would complain for other reasons. Maybe it's heavy handed but it's a comedy right?

I guess that's what I want to know, is it funny? If it's not funny, then it's an easy pass. I don't mind if the joke is on me if I can still laugh at it.

It's from a toy line for young girls... obviously the market was always going to be for daughters along with their parents, and the generations of women that grew with Barbie, that by the trailers twinkled a humour saying it's ok to bring the husbands, fathers and boyfriends to be enjoyed together. 

Yes, it has it's funny moments, but towards the end it's all about telling how girls don't need relationships. I don't know how the joke could be on you or anyone in this case? 

Edited by Raikkonen