ThreeZero ROBOTECH (Macross) Toys

kyekye

3 hours ago, Big s said:

The head really doesn’t bother me for some reason. I think the body is the fugly part

"I hate everything about them.  I'M BUYING TWO OF EACH!!!!!"  /s

Jokes aside, I like most everything about them and I am buying 2 of each.  I'm giddy that at 50 years old I'm still able to buy modern Macross Saga bots.  I'm a huge OG 1/55 collector and I can't believe as a community we've been able to keep the Macross Saga alive.  Retail prices aside, as a diehard mecha fan it feels like I'm living my best possible life.  Pinch me!

My Threezero Patlabor Ingram is absolutely incredible, so I hope that these have about the same build quality. I am seriously reluctant to buy anything which gives Harmony Gold any support, but... I may make an exception for a Max VF-1J.

1 hour ago, 26662 said:

"I hate everything about them.  I'M BUYING TWO OF EACH!!!!!"  /s

Jokes aside, I like most everything about them and I am buying 2 of each.  I'm giddy that at 50 years old I'm still able to buy modern Macross Saga bots.  I'm a huge OG 1/55 collector and I can't believe as a community we've been able to keep the Macross Saga alive.  Retail prices aside, as a diehard mecha fan it feels like I'm living my best possible life.  Pinch me!

One thing that’s interesting is that there’s something for everyone at the moment. Robotech or actual Macross toys in different scales and price ranges as well as model kits in different styles.

27 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

Depends how you feel about those kitchen draws on the side of it. 

LOL yeahh.. curious they didn't really do anything about that from when they first showed Battroid. The side covers look really odd, very flat, as if they are made of cardboard cutouts and an afterthought. Some have issue with the legs, some with the head, but I guess this is the biggest and only bugbear for me at this moment. 

44 minutes ago, grogall said:

What scale are these, 1:60? would love to know haw they match up to the High-Metal R series or DX Chogokin versions.

The height on the description says 20cm (Battloid, I presume), that puts it close to 1/60 scale. Based on the given height it's 1cm shorter than YamArcadia's VF-1 Battroid.

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I would be careful with EE. everything I've bought from them they broke the seal, opened it and looked through it. told me in email it's to ensure nothing is broke but not everyone is cool with that. also they will take deposits without telling you and not refund you if cancelled unless you say something to them. I would use PP with them as a payment method.

On 5/18/2024 at 1:26 AM, Spark-O-Matic said:

I would be careful with EE. everything I've bought from them they broke the seal, opened it and looked through it. told me in email it's to ensure nothing is broke but not everyone is cool with that. 

I understand them. It's likely due to the amount of false claims. Even some of us private sellers have experienced such incidents. 

On 5/18/2024 at 1:26 AM, Spark-O-Matic said:

also they will take deposits without telling you and not refund you if cancelled unless you say something to them. I would use PP with them as a payment method.

Good advice. But it's probably specified in their T&Cs for them to do it. 

6 minutes ago, grogall said:

So has any of these Robotech ROBO-DOU VF-1’s been released yet? Al I see is websites with pre-orders or sold out!? What’s the actual status of these?

BBTs says 2nd quarter, so maybe by summer time before September if they stay on track with the release on the 1J

2 hours ago, grogall said:

So has any of these Robotech ROBO-DOU VF-1’s been released yet? Al I see is websites with pre-orders or sold out!? What’s the actual status of these?

Nope. VF-1J is still playing the waiting game. Initial sched is Q4 of 2023, then Q2 of 2024. Which we still have one more month before it enters Q3. Amazon page says May 22. So we'll see if it's going to get actually release tomorrow. :spiteful:

Also, there's no videos circulating about it from any of the collectors from Asia, so it's safe to assume it might take awhile still. So cross fingers to those who ordered. 🤞

2 minutes ago, grogall said:

Thanks! Maybe another case off Vapor-wear? Can't be that hard to copy DX series and then just shrink it!? 🙈

Vapor-wear? I don't think so since they already started accepting preorders for Roy's VF-1S which has a Q4 2024 release schedule. Probably this is just due to some delays in production or in logistics. Or maybe tweaks applied on the VF-1J after fine-tuning some design stuff for VF-1S.

Right now, it's just waiting and guessing game. So yeah.

20 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Vapor-wear? I don't think so since they already started accepting preorders for Roy's VF-1S which has a Q4 2024 release schedule. Probably this is just due to some delays in production or in logistics. Or maybe tweaks applied on the VF-1J after fine-tuning some design stuff for VF-1S.

Right now, it's just waiting and guessing game. So yeah.

Wasn't meant to be serious 🤣, but showing other variants, when the first one isn't released yet is usually a bad sign, I cross my fingers that we will see an official product soon... But they should release what's promised before showing off other versions, you can't have! Although its either love or hate Bandai, at least when the show a new product the usually don't show the next one in that line till that one is released... And when they do announce a release date they actually do, stick to it! 👍🏻

1 hour ago, grogall said:

Wasn't meant to be serious 🤣, but showing other variants, when the first one isn't released yet is usually a bad sign, 

Far from it. Actually shows belief in their product for a long term line. It's a very good sign.

Also, 3zero have proven themselves over the years. Their integrality doesn't need to be questioned. 

Delays with any high end toys are normal. Usually could be one of these reasons:

- Last moment tweaks to improve the toy before production, or picked up it's need during first batch and halted production to ensure all items have the adjustment. 

- Pre-orders exceeded initial production forecast to what the factory can produce in a certain timeframe. (This is likely here, and they'll want those pre-orders fulfilled at same time to to keep all customers happy.)

Edited by Raikkonen

2 hours ago, grogall said:

Wasn't meant to be serious 🤣, but showing other variants, when the first one isn't released yet is usually a bad sign, I cross my fingers that we will see an official product soon... But they should release what's promised before showing off other versions, you can't have! Although its either love or hate Bandai, at least when the show a new product the usually don't show the next one in that line till that one is released... And when they do announce a release date they actually do, stick to it! 👍🏻

Almost none of the smaller toy companies have been able to stick to their timelines lately. It’s mostly production issues that came up around the pandemic that seem to be lingering. I just figure that if it’s not Bandai or Hasbro, expect a delay and if it’s a really small company, expect that delay to last a while 

I know it hasn't been mentioned lately, but are we certain that KC's license has zero impact on the TZ situation? I know I had thought KC needed to wrap things up on valks for TZ to take over (but I was disabused from believing that by several folks). Likewise, I know KC is announcing more figures and Zentradi stuff, and still wondered if that might be a needed shift as TZ is getting close to getting their valks out.

I guess it will be put to rest once TZ ships, and if KC still has theirs up for sale.

42 minutes ago, Radioguy said:

I know it hasn't been mentioned lately, but are we certain that KC's license has zero impact on the TZ situation? I know I had thought KC needed to wrap things up on valks for TZ to take over (but I was disabused from believing that by several folks). Likewise, I know KC is announcing more figures and Zentradi stuff, and still wondered if that might be a needed shift as TZ is getting close to getting their valks out.

I guess it will be put to rest once TZ ships, and if KC still has theirs up for sale.

My very limited understanding of the licensing is that it may be per scale or something. KC is 1/72 scale isn't it? TZ is 1/60. So they may both have the license at the same time. I'm not sure why more than one company can't have the license at the same time anyway. As long as they are all paying the license fees why would the license owner care?

I'm pleased that TZ are eventually releasing the M&M 1Js since Bandai DX seems to be slow on that front. I'm hoping they eventually do the super packs as well. Especially for the M&M 1J valks. If I like the TZ products enough I was planning on skipping the DX versions to save some money. 

TZ I believe are "non scale" and KC are advertised as 1/72 but are technically too big for that. Scale only matters when exclusive licenses are purchased. 

Usually it's the toy company that would want the license to be exclusive to limit competition. They could limit it by lots of ways: region, MSRP, scale, or even be the exclusive provider of toys altogether. The license holder charges more depending on how tight a hold the licensee wants on the property.

1 hour ago, Paco Grande said:

My very limited understanding of the licensing is that it may be per scale or something. KC is 1/72 scale isn't it? TZ is 1/60. So they may both have the license at the same time. I'm not sure why more than one company can't have the license at the same time anyway. As long as they are all paying the license fees why would the license owner care?

Obviously. Scale was the basis of my initial posts long ago saying they must be different, and that was why they could co-exist, but I remember someone saying they were the same (here or on TFW). They attempted to eviscerate my argument that there can't be two licensees for matching products (brand, scale, articulation, materials, etc) in the same market as it would potentially leave a licensor liable to litigation when each complains the other is undermining sales.

33 minutes ago, jenius said:

TZ I believe are "non scale" and KC are advertised as 1/72 but are technically too big for that. Scale only matters when exclusive licenses are purchased. 

Usually it's the toy company that would want the license to be exclusive to limit competition. They could limit it by lots of ways: region, MSRP, scale, or even be the exclusive provider of toys altogether. The license holder charges more depending on how tight a hold the licensee wants on the property.

So, TZ don't list a scale? Interesting. I guess we'll see if they are significantly different when you post a video of TZ and KC standing side-by-side. Hopefully that video won't have to be played subsequently in a courtroom. :D

Still, I thought the burden lies on the company to restrict licenses, or else the outcome I described would happen constantly and tie up the courts. I mean, why would a company seek a license to produce the same product as an existing licensee in a market already saturated by them, and especially when the licensor would grant the same license again the following day to create an additional competitor in the same market?

It's not quite wholly analogous, but I always think of franchisers and franchisees when thinking of this topic. In point, how many franchisees have sued franchisers for over-saturating a market, unknowing to a potential franchisee, with that new franchisee discovering sales are poor due to other franchises in the same market being awarded before or subsequently.

1 hour ago, Paco Grande said:

I'm pleased that TZ are eventually releasing the M&M 1Js since Bandai DX seems to be slow on that front. I'm hoping they eventually do the super packs as well. Especially for the M&M 1J valks. If I like the TZ products enough I was planning on skipping the DX versions to save some money.

I guess we'll see how the product quality is. It's gotta be better plastic than KC, but those heads and that chunk...we'll see. KC has set the bar on including additional features. It would be a shame if TZ doesn't meet that bar, and if Bandai doesn't pad theirs to compete (If anything, they've reduced included accessories, so likely not).

I'm surprised KC hasn't done strike part sets available separately. Perhaps they will to squeeze some more money if they will be winding down at some point.

Edited by Radioguy

TZ originally called it 1/72 somewhere but then they stopped listing a scale and listed a size instead. That size, is very similar to the KC, which is technically too large to be the 1/72 KC calls it. I don't think that has much to do with licensing. I think TZ just knew nerds like me would do the math and point out that the scale was more like 1/65 or whatever it is.

TZ knew about KC so they knew there was no exclusivity. HG might have plans to grant that after KC's deal expires. HG has never been accused of managing their license well.

It's believed HG no longer can license DYRL designs so that's why KC hasn't produced strike parts or DYRL paint schemes.

Just IMO, there's no hard and fast rule when it comes to licensing. Perhaps we have just been too conditioned on scale-based licensing going by what we have been seeing for BW-licensed Macross toys release. But it does make sense to limit & give exclusivity for certain aspects or areas of the toy to individual toy makers, especially if the market isn't that big.

Perhaps a loose form of licensing we see recently would be for classic Voltron. Not counting kits, there are currently Bandai SOC, Blitzway and ThreeZero (and I think there's one more from another maker previewed - I forgot its name) all making the same thing at the same time. As far as I can tell there isn't anything that explicitly identifies the unique aspects of each maker's in their product literature or description, just their own unique sculpts.  

2 hours ago, Radioguy said:

When did HG realize this, or when was that determined? I ask, because Toynami has released strike parts under the Robotech brand.

HG bought a merchandise license for DYRL a while back. I suspect the suspicion is the agreement between HG and Big West involves them abandoning their DYRL merch rights.

Remember, BW gave a license to Kaiyodo to make Revoltech toys at the same time they gave Yamato a license to make the Gnu Dou toys. Again, I think it comes down to the toy makers not thinking it was worth spending on exclusivity... And it didn't turn out great for either of those toy makers. If you don't want competition, ya gotta pay more.

Edited by jenius