The 'Hey look at this really cool model build I saw' post

Shawn

I hope there's no sensitive electronics around that thing when you light it off.  Especially ones with antennas.  Like your cell phone.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Thom said:

@shazam That is pretty dang kuul!

16 hours ago, Pontus said:

I hope there's no sensitive electronics around that thing when you light it off.  Especially ones with antennas.  Like your cell phone.

I always wanted to do that effect for the SDF-1 cannon.  

Is it a Tesla coil? Someone explain to me how safe that is? Is there no heat melting the plastic?

Edited by arbit

9 hours ago, arbit said:

Is it a Tesla coil? Someone explain to me how safe that is? Is there no heat melting the plastic?

Looks to be just an electrical arc between 'contact' points.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, arbit said:

It's definitely not a tesla coil.  Looks like a simple circuit to increase voltage to jump the air gap similar to what you find inside an electronic fly swatter but with much higher voltage.  It's basically creating high voltage static which is most likely quite safe.  Those batteries have enough juice to kill you if the current is concentrated, but since they have to increase the voltage to at least 60,000V in order to jump what looks like about a 6cm air gap, the actual current will be miniscule, and it's the current that kills you, not the voltage (otherwise a simple static jolt would kill you).  As such, it probably wouldn't have enough wattage to melt the plastic unless you left it running for quite some time.

As for the MASSIVE amounts of electromagnetic radiation coming off of that thing, you would NEVER see this as an actual product because it could induce some VERY damaging voltage in any nearby sensitive electronics.  I wouldn't want my cell phone or computer anywhere near it.

Edit: on successive viewing, I'm starting to suspect that this is a fake video.  First of all, why are they using "Mr. Muscle" cleaning solution instead of flux which should be included in the solder?  Secondly, the arch wouldn't hop around from pin to pin unless you forced it to with separate wires to each pin.  It would only go to the pins closest to each other and pretty much stay there.  I think it's BS.

Edited by Pontus

On 5/22/2024 at 9:39 AM, Pontus said:

It's definitely not a tesla coil.  Looks like a simple circuit to increase voltage to jump the air gap similar to what you find inside an electronic fly swatter but with much higher voltage.  It's basically creating high voltage static which is most likely quite safe.  Those batteries have enough juice to kill you if the current is concentrated, but since they have to increase the voltage to at least 60,000V in order to jump what looks like about a 6cm air gap, the actual current will be miniscule, and it's the current that kills you, not the voltage (otherwise a simple static jolt would kill you).  As such, it probably wouldn't have enough wattage to melt the plastic unless you left it running for quite some time.

As for the MASSIVE amounts of electromagnetic radiation coming off of that thing, you would NEVER see this as an actual product because it could induce some VERY damaging voltage in any nearby sensitive electronics.  I wouldn't want my cell phone or computer anywhere near it.

Edit: on successive viewing, I'm starting to suspect that this is a fake video.  First of all, why are they using "Mr. Muscle" cleaning solution instead of flux which should be included in the solder?  Secondly, the arch wouldn't hop around from pin to pin unless you forced it to with separate wires to each pin.  It would only go to the pins closest to each other and pretty much stay there.  I think it's BS.

Very curious. 
At a glance it looks legit. But I'm just as likely to believe it's fake. 

I'm no expert on anything, but my guess is the pin alternating thing is probably a product of shutter speed and recording frame rate. It probably looks more like the still photo with all pins firing multiple arcs when seen in person.

Voltage does nothing to people. You can run hundreds of million volts through a person like those science videos and a few hairs stand up at worst. Only amps fry things and stop hearts.

There is no issue of electromagnetic radiation in this. Electromagnetic radiation is all light, but generally used to refer to the stronger cancer beams. Other than the fact that the arcs are harmlessly blue, this is purely about electricity. Sensitive electronics like transistors might get damaged from it, if it was actually exposed to the arcs, but there are also components on an electronic device made for filtering out signal jitters, so you have to hit the right component to kill it. Human and vacuum cleaner nozzle static just as easily kill those parts, which is why professionals advise you to not vacuum inside your pc, or touch the components without grounding yourself. That said, modern electronics are so resillient it seems nobody cares and nothing immediately bad happens even if you do get a few static shocks on most components. There could be longevity and stability issues that nobody can directly prove the shocks are the cause of. This is kind of moot in this topic though, because all electronic devices come in housings that protect them from static. If not, you could just as easily winter static shock your device to death.

Spot welders have tiny voltage but massive amps. The amp combined with bad contact is how it gets the resistance needed to heat and melt steel. In the couple seconds the current channels through the weld, it generates enough electromagnetism to pull in a steel hammer from two feet away. I worked on them before, and was warned to keep electronics like watches and phones away, but it honestly still wasn't enough to harm a phone in my pocket. Unless you run high amp current directly through something, it won't melt or burn. Magnetism is also kind of moot without magnetic components like a hard disk drive. Nowadays, phones even have magnetic mounts for wireless chargers to satisfy all your electromagnetic fears lol.

😱Breathtaking!

Fabulous build and stunning composition!

On 5/27/2024 at 9:20 AM, Froy said:

That is just so wrong seeing it in those colors after so long. The yf19 in blue looks a bit like the blazer valks from 7...so it is acceptable in my brain. The yf21 in tan is not registering as correct at all. I love the build and it should not matter but it does lol