Star Trek: Picard (CBS All-Access)

UN Spacy

19 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Well, that's a big steaming pile of Do Not Want.

I've heard CBS is having trouble finding funding for Star Trek again... hopefully they'll start changing ears instead of flying her into the ground.

With what we know of the series from just the last season, flying it into the ground would have been a matter of a couple of inches...

50 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

With what we know of the series from just the last season, flying it into the ground would have been a matter of a couple of inches...

I meant the franchise as a whole.  It's a matter of record that the post-Abrams brand of generic dystopian fiction branded as Star Trek isn't doing very well.

ViacomCBS had to sell stock to dredge up the money for Strange New Worlds, and they're already in such dire shape they're in danger of being found in violation of the terms of their merger agreement by the US Gov't.  If things don't pick up soon, there might not be a Star Trek franchise left in a couple years.

Star Trek: Discovery's on its third major retooling in as many seasons in a bid to fix what's fundamentally unfixable.  Star Trek: Picard's on its second.  Remember when this series was supposed to focus on the new characters, and not just be a badly-written TNG cast reunion with some hamfisted political commentary?

2 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Remember when this series was supposed to focus on the new characters, and not just be a badly-written TNG cast reunion with some hamfisted political commentary?

That's what I really wanted out of it.  Picard flexing his leadership skills and bringing a bunch of disparate people together and making them into a crew.  With perhaps one, maaaaybe two Shakespearean speeches to motivate them.

Instead I got a half-assed rip-off of Mass Effect.  Yuck.

52 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I meant the franchise as a whole.  It's a matter of record that the post-Abrams brand of generic dystopian fiction branded as Star Trek isn't doing very well.

ViacomCBS had to sell stock to dredge up the money for Strange New Worlds, and they're already in such dire shape they're in danger of being found in violation of the terms of their merger agreement by the US Gov't.  If things don't pick up soon, there might not be a Star Trek franchise left in a couple years.

Star Trek: Discovery's on its third major retooling in as many seasons in a bid to fix what's fundamentally unfixable.  Star Trek: Picard's on its second.  Remember when this series was supposed to focus on the new characters, and not just be a badly-written TNG cast reunion with some hamfisted political commentary?

Well, their overall handling of it is pretty much the same: 2 inches from the ground.

7 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Well, their overall handling of it is pretty much the same: 2 inches from the ground.

Yeah, the trailer definitely doesn't promise any trajectory changes.

It'd be one thing if Picard were still the dignified, principled, moral pillar of Federation Starfleet he was in Star Trek: the Next Generation.  TNG Picard would have had some devastating speech to give about an alternate past where the Federation became a totalitarian fascist state.  Instead, we're going to have PIC Picard delivering an awful lot of entitled senior citizen whining.  I guess the budget must be in really dire straits if they're having to set an entire season in the present day to cut down on the effects budget.  Amazon must've slashed their contribution to Picard the way Netflix did after Discovery premiered.