Aoshima VFG

TMBounty_Hunter

I attended the show yesterday and talked with Kaneda. I tried to persuade him to make a VF-1 VFG with Misa riding it. He seems to have his mind set on the newer stuff, unfortunately. I talked with my friend Takahashi (who now works for Hobby Japan) and he agrees with my idea. Neither of us are fond of the stickers these come with. I got the first VFG kit when it came out and I never finished it because I had a problem with some stickers lifting. I'll have to paint those areas by hand, I guess. Anyhow, here are the VFG pics I took.

IMG_0389.JPG.43bd8280df43a0f055b8d6d629fc7a78.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG.ba6629211388aff876cbe3fa7e0f284c.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG.ba9df6cbda0ef17994d6a556614213c9.JPG

19 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I'm happy to see these turn out so well. Are they using different molds as well? I want to say the proportions are different - slightly less moe blob, longer-limbed - from the regular VFG girls, and even from the various prototypes, but that could just be wishful thinking.

Proportions certainly look longer.

I want to get one or two solely for the planes, but don't know if anyone exists to be interested in buying off from me the characters' pieces. 

I posted my photos from the All-Japan hobby event on the internet cesspool known as Reddit and while the majority of responses were positive, a couple were somehow offended that these VFG exists, even saying that the guy I know who makes these kits should be fired. Apparently they think that every single model kit must be completely serious and we can't have fun. Unbelievable. They should stick to the IPMS stuff and stay away from anime if that's their attitude.

3 hours ago, SteveTheFish said:

I posted my photos from the All-Japan hobby event on the internet cesspool known as Reddit and while the majority of responses were positive, a couple were somehow offended that these VFG exists, even saying that the guy I know who makes these kits should be fired. Apparently they think that every single model kit must be completely serious and we can't have fun. Unbelievable. They should stick to the IPMS stuff and stay away from anime if that's their attitude.

While it’s not a product I’m into, I don’t think people should take offense to it. It’s designed for fun and it fits well with the other girl kits and designs from other franchises. If it’s not their kinda thing, that definitely doesn’t mean someone should get fired for the design of it.

5 hours ago, SteveTheFish said:

So, appreciation of beauty is no longer allowed? 

1984? 

They should be banned from the internet and go to the gym to get whatever insecurities they have sorted out. 

Don't give them attention. They're just so lazy to escape the lives they've boxed themselves in, that now they believe they can dictate what's acceptable or not in the lives of others. Sad. Very sad. Best way to fight them, just keep posting what you like. 

Ha, no, not banned. Maybe they should ban themselves. If there were no Macross models coming out other than these VFG, then they'd have a right to complain about the situation. As it is, they just need to ignore what they don't like and just move on with their lives.

Then again, that's Reddit for you. A place where you get downvoted for asking questions, and you get downvoted just because somebody wants their content rated higher than others. It's why I called it a "cesspool." I don't go on there very often.

I'm mostly just irritated that they screwed up the valk itself with attachment ports all over it for the dumb.. I don't even know what that is.  A heart with bat wings? :blink:  They started doing this back with the second release of the Kairos with the goofy fish attachments.  Maybe they still include wings without all the holes?

Yeah, ditch the garbage that screws with the valk that way, and I'll be plenty happy to get an HMR-ish Kairos. :p  I could really care less about having the figures, but they do make a nice quick build when I'm bored.

Edited by Chronocidal

17 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I could really care less about having the figures, but they do make a nice quick build when I'm bored.

You can’t leave the girl out of this. She comes ready to help you trim out the parts and even has an airbrush to help you paint it

15 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Maybe they still include wings without all the holes?

I looked at a couple reviews and unfortunately it seems like they had to completely redesign the underbelly fuselage to accommodate those hardpoints, to the point that they don't bother including the original non-hardpoint parts in the Kairos SP kit. It's a shame, because I agree, mucking all of that up just so you can mount some dopey fish-plane things is a dumb idea. I'm just glad they didn't make that mistake with the VF-31D Skuld kits that released beforehand. Sure, the fish-planes have to be mounted on their own stands or something, but the original depictions of them were literally as sport fish being caught by the Skuld anyway, so... yeah, makes sense they wouldn't have any way to connect to the VF. That in mind, it's only more bizarre that Aoshima then turned them into like... drones or Bits or what-have-you.

17 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

This is a very late realization but the outfits are based on this M-tama illustration and I'm honestly no longer regretting that I never got around to converting the original VFG release to Walkure like I planned years ago. This is much better.

image.jpeg.0dba5b0fbac5f16dbdfe63015f33c337.jpeg

Only thing that would irritate me is that Makina and Reina's valks are Kairos and not Siegfrieds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Man.. wish they'd show the jet without the stupid gremlins mounted, but I can at least see the tail mounting holes aren't too obnoxious.. and it's funny they included plugs for the undersides of the wings to match the markings.

Actually looks really good though, I might be suckered into buying a set, just because.

Maybe weird, but I actually think the folding drone base is one of the coolest parts of the kit. :lol: 

Edit: Aaaand there's my pair of VB-6s from HLJ ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

15 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Check out the shipping on them. HOO BOY SHE A CHONKER :lol:

Kind of the reason I hope she has a local distribution here in the states. Will be looking into that over the weekend since she has been released. 

5 hours ago, Shawn said:

Ok...so THAT explains why shipping 2 of these Konigs from HLJ was 113USD as the cheapest option..others were 140.

That box is gigantic. I feel better now or at least more understanding

Yea they're really big...
Some pics from a JP shop. One big box fit 6 units, and there's a box comparison vs a Diver Ayame box, and a 1 unit vs RG Epyon box(fits 20)

IMG_4130.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

They demo the VB-6 transformation at about 36 minutes in, looks like a really good solid shuttle, though looks pretty fiddly to transform, and I'm not expecting it to survive a lot of cycles.

Some nice extra articulation in the feet though, and looks like a pretty good size for display, maybe a little smaller than the Bandai Robot Spirits version.  I'll probably just keep one as a shuttle, and the other in destroid mode for display.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2024 at 7:25 AM, SteveTheFish said:

I only wish... (Found on Pinterest.) Apparently Kaneda-san isn't interested in doing this, though.

image.png.33de64b8fb3291e73c2bb454deb8c046.png

Given how tiny the VF-1 is compared to modern valks, Misa would look like she's riding a moped compared to every else's superbikes :V

• 3 weeks later...

Had to take a visual log of this one, I didn't know HLJ even had a shipping box this big.  I thought I'd gotten their biggest in the past.. I was wrong. :lol: 

ss(2024-01-26at06_24.50).jpg.a7d95df648255c080d455fcb1e2061ec.jpgss(2024-01-26at06_25.02).jpg.88c3f75fe932f1841b5518baeb96ddf8.jpg

"Monster" is absolutely correct. 

Edited by Chronocidal

17 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Had to take a visual log of this one, I didn't know HLJ even had a shipping box this big.  I thought I'd gotten their biggest in the past.. I was wrong. :lol: 

ss(2024-01-26at06_24.50).jpg.a7d95df648255c080d455fcb1e2061ec.jpgss(2024-01-26at06_25.02).jpg.88c3f75fe932f1841b5518baeb96ddf8.jpg

"Monster" is absolutely correct. 

Oh, they can be very big indeed.

HLJ got a little impatient with how much I had held in their warehouse. So I had to have a bunch shipped at once. Had a few more 1/48 VFs waiting than I realized...

20240127_120301.jpg

20240127_120225.jpg