1/60 Perfect Transform VF-4G Lightning reissue.

Gakken85

My old Yamato VF-4 I detailed way back in the day. I plan on revisiting this once I get my Arcadia reissue and doing a better job. Maybe I'll toss this one in the garbage bin. :huh:

yamato%20vf-4%2001_zpsppzr3yqx.jpg

yamato%20vf-4%2002_zpshhhvvumu.jpg

Excellent!!

Do I see preshade? Did you painted the whole aircraft? Or the Grey is the bare plastic color?

I got mine finally. ankles are hella' loose in every direction. anyone else have this problem?

I could probably take it apart and fix it but I kind of don't want to. <_<

looks amazing in fighter mode. not sure what to do now though.

:edit:

also the knees are kind of loose.

Edited by anime52k8

@Lolicon I would like to photograph your VF-4. :D

A Saburo photo shoot sounds amazing!

What if somebody mailed you a third one and a bunch of money?

Ohhh that's a thought. I think there are much more talented folks right here on this forum that can do way better, if you're looking for a commissioned piece.

Excellent!!

Do I see preshade? Did you painted the whole aircraft? Or the Grey is the bare plastic color?

Grey is the base plastic color. Just painted over the stabilizers and rudders and nose. Too many painted surfaces on a transforming toy make me nervous during transformation (re: VF-0A.) The shading should be called postshading, I think. It was just added right over the plastic.

My old Yamato VF-4 I detailed way back in the day. I plan on revisiting this once I get my Arcadia reissue and doing a better job. Maybe I'll toss this one in the garbage bin. :huh:

yamato%20vf-4%2001_zpsppzr3yqx.jpg

yamato%20vf-4%2002_zpshhhvvumu.jpg

Hey, we're twinies... that looks EXACTLY like my VF-4, even down to the paint scheme, pencil post-shading and tiny data stenciling decals. It looks amazing (if I do say so myself :p) Great job Lolicon.

Hehe well you did teach me a lot of what I know now. :D Haven't used pencil shading in a long time, but I do love the clean precision it affords. Maybe I'll go back to it for the Arcadia VF-4G as I don't feel it should be as worn looking as any of Focker's rides. Get some yellow arrow decals, commander type head, and make a more accurate 2012 version...

Guest davidwhangchoi

I got mine finally. ankles are hella' loose in every direction. anyone else have this problem?

is this just arcadia's or did yamato's have this problem as well?

is this just arcadia's or did yamato's have this problem as well?

From what I have read so far from other members on this Arcadia's release, it also have the same issues (some are just slight):

- Missile Tabs

- Ankle Joints

- Elbow Joints (Left Arm)

- Knee Joints

Guest davidwhangchoi

From what I have read so far from other members on this Arcadia's release, it also have the same issues (some are just slight):

- Missile Tabs

- Ankle Joints

- Knee Joints

cool, thanks for the info

Same problem here.

- Missile Tabs

- Ankle Joints

- Knee Joints

I wasn't aware the Yamato had these issues :(

Sadly, mine are still in the box.

Yup. Mine have loose missile tabs and both loose elbow joints. Left is the most. Just haven't figure it out yet how to tighten it up.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the brown/maroon painted covers beside the leg bottom fins keeps on popping off whenever I move the fins. Especially when I pose it in Fighter mode with the gear down.

Edited by no3ljm

Edit: Forgot to mention that the brown/maroon painted covers beside the leg bottom fins keeps on popping off whenever I move the fins. Especially when I pose it in Fighter mode with the gear down.

That happens to mine too. I was admiring it on the shelf the other day, and adjusted the leg stabilizer. That was when I noticed the little rectangular piece missing. That led to me scouring the carpet in the last place where I had transformed it until I found that tiny little chit.

As i am waiting (with baited breath) my vf-4, i couldn't help but wonder what real world plane was the inspiration for this? I know that vf-0's was the f-15 and so on... but tried as i might, i couldn't find anything on the 4g. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Guest davidwhangchoi

The loose ankles are a first I've ever heard on the VF-4.

yeah, first time hearing of the ankles.

As i am waiting (with baited breath) my vf-4, i couldn't help but wonder what real world plane was the inspiration for this? I know that vf-0's was the f-15 and so on... but tried as i might, i couldn't find anything on the 4g. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dumb question: so what plane has Kawamori stated as his inspiration for the design of the VF-4, if any? I'm surprised I'd never noticed the resemblance before, but....

vf-4-fighter.jpg

eeis_03_img0989.jpg

Yes he mentions the SR-71 in relation to the VF-4 in Macross Design Works.

From GM.DX 4:

Peculiar Engine Mounting: SR-71 and VF-4

SR-71 Blackbird

The design of this VF-4 was designed as an advanced Valkyrie at the time of the broadcast of "Super Dimension Fortress Macross" (it appears as a model in the original story). The form of the engine mounts is reminiscent of the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird. Moreover, this craft has a design more close to the SR-71 than the V-BR-2, which was designed simultaneously as one of the craft of Advanced Valkyrie.

Edited by no3ljm

The loose ankles are a first I've ever heard on the VF-4.

They're like Yamato VF-19 levels of bad on mine. the ball joint barely has any tension to it, you can just freely pivot it around with one finger. Bigger problem is actually the hing in the ankle for gerwalk. the toy is heavy enough to overcome the friction in that joint and just fold over backwards if you don't have the feet set just right.

also, the knee joints are loose to the point that the leg flops around if you pick it up in gerwalk.

They're like Yamato VF-19 levels of bad on mine. the ball joint barely has any tension to it, you can just freely pivot it around with one finger. Bigger problem is actually the hing in the ankle for gerwalk. the toy is heavy enough to overcome the friction in that joint and just fold over backwards if you don't have the feet set just right.

also, the knee joints are loose to the point that the leg flops around if you pick it up in gerwalk.

I do have pretty loose knee joints on my Arcadia version, not something I experienced with my two previous Yamato's. They're not so bad they flop if you hold it up but they certainly aren't able to hold the body up in Gerwalk. It sucks about the ankles, I don't have that issue. Where did you get it from? The ankles sound like a huge flaw. While there is a ball joint attachment way up high that isn't really how the mechanism works. There's a huge rotating disk lower in the foot that lets you rotate the feet up and down at some pretty incredible angles.

I got mine from HLJ. I had it in PW for a while and I've had it for a few day's. I don't think it would be worth trying to get an exchange in hopes that I get a better pull on joint tolerances.

the rotational joint lower in the ankle is part of the problem since it's not super tight, so if you have the center of gravity even slightly behind the ankle, it will start tilting backwards.

Hah yeah valks are dangerous! I have yet to transform the VF-19S without drawing blood (those damn wings).

I know all about that. The first time I took out my VF-19S and slid my finger along the back end of the wing, I came pretty close to having my finger sliced! Wow, that is ever sharp!

We should have a thread somewhere where people can just rant about postal/courier services.

My VF-4G has been sat in customs for 1 whole f**king week!

It got from Japan to the UK in a day and a half and now it's marooned in a warehouse in Coventry (alongside my VF-0S)

I have to go to Dublin next week to work so it's going to be another week and a half before I see them, touch them, swoosh them!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :blink: