1/60 Perfect Transform VF-4G Lightning reissue.

Gakken85

I didn't know there is a fee as a buyer. I tried both with from credit card and direct from bank and it came out the same charge.

It's more of an exchange rate fee. I think Paypal charges 3.5% for all transactions that are outside of your local currency.

If you have a better credit card rate (some companies charge a 0% fee) then you can configure your Paypal account to use your card's rate in lieu of the Paypal rate.

I was always under the impression that Paypal charged you a slightly crappier exchange rate and pocketed the difference.

I have my account set up to charge to my credit card, which charges in yen and uses whatever the market rate is. In addition to the better rate, all those valkyrie purchases rack up a lot of points!

Edited by Lolicon

I was always under the impression that Paypal charged you a slightly crappier exchange rate and pocketed the difference.

I have my account set up to charge to my credit card, which charges in yen and uses whatever the market rate is. In addition to the better rate, all those valkyrie purchases rack up a lot of points!

I'm not sure about the exact percentage. I've seen articles that state the fee is as low as 2.5% and as high as 4%. The last time I did the math myself was when the exchange rate was good for me so "slightly crappier exchange rate..."

that sounds about right :lol:

WHAAAAT?!! NY just cancelled my pre-order at 0934 Japan time! I was about to pay them!!

That happen to me too. I was on the order page about to pay and the screen refreshed showing the order was cancelled. I try to get them to reverse it a minute later but they wouldn't do it.

Does NY have a better shipping-fees than hlj or ami on the 4G?

How much are you losing if you order from hlj now?

Here's an example of what's in stock now from HLJ, AmiAmi and NY since NY is the only one who can give you shipping estimate directly from their website. From my experience, HLJ is just $10+/- expensive than the other two. And still that depends on current currency exchange. But remember that extra $$ from HLJ will give you 10 days to contact them for return/exchange against the other two. ;)

Arcadia VF-0A + EMS Method (USA)

HLJ Y31320 + Y2980 = Y34300/$306.5(xe.com)

NY Y28920 + Y4700 = Y33620/$300.4(xe.com)

Ami Y29700 + Y4000 = Y33700/$301.1(xe.com)

(shipping based when I bought VF-0D)
Hope that helps.

Since VF-4G is now available we can use it as an example.

Arcadia VF-4G + EMS Method (USA)

HLJ Y27000 + Y2980 = Y29980/$267.93(xe.com)

NY Y25480 + Y4700 = Y30180/$269.72(xe.com)

Ami Y27120 + Y4000 = Y31120/$278.12(xe.com)

Hope that helps.
Edited by no3ljm

Hope that helps.

Yeah, thanks.

Almost all of us know by now that "lower pricing" almost always means "jacked up shipping-fees" from NY. At least, AE sometimes do have lower pricing and lower shipping-fees vs hlj.

Just sometimes, tho. I think...

I didn't know there is a fee as a buyer. I tried both with from credit card and direct from bank and it came out the same charge.

If you don't already have one , you can apply for a capital one credit card , all their creditcard charges zero foreign transaction fee or conversion fee . So your rate will be always the current official VISA exchange rate. You also have to setup in PayPal to use your own creditcard own exchange rate. The default is paypals. Those small extra percentage (around 3% )added up really quick.

That happen to me too. I was on the order page about to pay and the screen refreshed showing the order was cancelled. I try to get them to reverse it a minute later but they wouldn't do it.

They have a vested interest not to, since they can sell it now at scalper prices

I think a lot of it can be attributed to how impractical it looks from a functionality point of view. The bulky construction, and the arrangement of the arms limits them pretty severely, when compared with most other Macross mecha. The arms are still perfectly functional for most things one could assume a battroid would need to do though, and the bulky look is intimidating.

Really though, compared with mecha from many other universes, this thing still is impressive in its flexibility, and you have to consider that this one wasn't meant to go hand-to-hand, so as long as you can aim the arm guns where you need to, it's going to accomplish what it sets out to do. :)

Late to the party replying, but I have to wonder if Kawamori told Yamato that the VF-4's shoulders are immobile, or if they made them that way as a cost saving measure, since they knew this was their swan song and were probably under some strain just to get it produced. I remember reading somewhere they made the legs longer than they should be per the lineart to make the fighter look better, so they weren't above taking liberties. As excellent as Yamato's design turned out, I'd still love one that more faithfully produces the battroid...the fighter would be a bit stubbier, but I think it could still be made and look pretty good. It'd also be great if the shoulders were articulated, which is really the biggest weak point for me. Kawamori's lineart really makes the battroid look stocky and imposing, like it can just bash the enemy with those big ass shoulders. :wub:

On the fighter-mode end of things though, this thing is just beautiful, and incredible. The fact that you can get an aircraft that slick to turn into a completely functional mech is like a slap in the face for nearly every single "airplane with a box underneath" transformer design. :lol:

I still would love to see a transforming SR-71 design based on this transformation. You might actually get something that even looks airworthy.

A thousand times, yes to both. Some serious tweaking would be needed to achieve those large round engines, though. I've given the matter considerable thought, as I'm of a mind to attempt making a variable Blackbird with LEGO.

I'd also be happy if Bandai or Arcadia made the VF-14 Space Pope, er... Vampire. :p It's the closest thing we could get to a variable SR-71 in the Macross Universe.

I don't see that in my settings in Paypal. But the last transaction seems to have gone through without any extra currency exchange fees so perhaps my credit card is already the default source.

What you have to do is change the currency of the to the currency of origin for your credit card payments with Paypal. It is really hidden and I think I had to look quite deeply into the settings to get it right. Once this is done you can test it with the next order from a export store. If you change the way of your payment to the credit card it should show the price of the item in the foreign currency (JPY for example). If there is still the amount of your own currency (AUD) something is wrong. If I remember correctly they are not actually listed as a fee. Paypal just charges you a conversion rate that is not as good as the actual one and keeps the profit.

Thanks guys, maybe I should change my form of payment on HLJ from paypal to my credit card.

You can't pay with your credit card directly at HLJ because they only Paypal as the only means of payment. What you have to do is change the way you pay inside Paypal to your credit card and configure the billing to the foreign currency.

If you search the Internet for: how to change credit card billing currency in paypal

you should be able to find some clarification on the topic.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, HLJ has the cheapest shipping. But the last two times I ordered from them, the boxes came in scratched and damaged. So I'm never going with them again.

To change your currency default option in Paypal , do the following:
My Account -> Profile -> My Money -> My preapproved payments -> Update -
> See Available Funding Sources (or Set Available Funding Sources) -
> Conversion Options (for card you'd like to change this option)-
> Bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice -> Submit

It's kinda hidden but it's there.

I don't believe this.

I wanted to ship my VF-0S and VF-4G together.

My HLJ private warehouse timed out on the VF-0S and I get automatic request for shipping payment.

I asked could I have a days discretion on the private warehouse and they said no. (that's ok - I guess)

I pay for my VF-4G and it's shipping yesterday and low and behold, they've shipped the VF-4G BEFORE the -0S!!!!

*FACEPALM*

From NY customer service:

"As it was writing in the notification of payment, there a deadline. The order have to be pay before 08:00 A.M japanese time

We didn't receive your payment so the order has been automatically cancel

Unfortunately Sir, there are nothing i can do in this case"

So there you have it. At NY, you have until 8:00 AM Japanese time on the day of release to pay. Sheesh.

Yeah, thanks.

Almost all of us know by now that "lower pricing" almost always means "jacked up shipping-fees" from NY. At least, AE sometimes do have lower pricing and lower shipping-fees vs hlj.

I guess that's how they compete online. Put the lowest price out there but jack up the shipping price so it will stay in line with the other stores. Though the best part as of now is the customer service with HLJ. Unlike the others, who gives us the best 'No, we can't do anything' replies. ;) So what I do right now, since I made my purchases now with HLJ. And HLJ doesn't have that shipping calculator thing so I browse NY first to get an idea how much the total it's going to be since it's not far off from HLJ's final price once the shipping quote is ready instead of bugging everyone how much the shipping cost from this specific stores. It's safe to be prepared than to be sorry in the end. ^_^

Yeah, HLJ has the cheapest shipping. But the last two times I ordered from them, the boxes came in scratched and damaged. So I'm never going with them again.

I got my VF-0S yesterday from HLJ with a scratch and dent on the box too. But I don't blame HLJ for it. They don't deliver the package 'personally', so I always think that those dents and scratches happened during the transit. I know NY uses a little bit thicker box than HLJ but I still receive it with some dents and scratches once in awhile. I mean, even a big package with big thick boxes still gets dent, creases, and scratches. As long what's inside is not broken, I'm good. ;)

Yeah, thanks.

I think AE probably did have the best price this time, since they made you pay upfront at the time when the exchange rate was much better. :)

I got my VF-0S yesterday from HLJ with a scratch and dent on the box too. But I don't blame HLJ for it. They don't deliver the package 'personally', so I always think that those dents and scratches happened during the transit. I know NY uses a little bit thicker box than HLJ but I still receive it with some dents and scratches once in awhile. I mean, even a big package with big thick boxes still gets dent, creases, and scratches. As long what's inside is not broken, I'm good. ;)

Actually, I suspect its rough handling from HLJ. Cuz my shipping boxes are fine but the toy boxes are the ones damaged. Also I notice there's more TLC with other toy companies where they uses bubble wrap and air pockets/bags to protect the toys. HLJ can really improve on their packaging. I wouldn't mind paying for TBH.

Actually, I suspect its rough handling from HLJ. Cuz my shipping boxes are fine but the toy boxes are the ones damaged. Also I notice there's more TLC with other toy companies where they uses bubble wrap and air pockets/bags to protect the toys. HLJ can really improve on their packaging. I wouldn't mind paying for TBH.

That's true. Other companies use those bubble wraps and air pockets. ;) I was just surprise to see my VF-0S shrinkwrap in a board. That's it. No protection inside whatsoever. <_< Not complaining though. I will if the item inside is broken. :lol:

That's true. Other companies use those bubble wraps and air pockets. ;) I was just surprise to see my VF-0S shrinkwrap in a board. That's it. No protection inside whatsoever. <_<Not complaining though. I will if the item inside is broken. :lol:

But what if its is broken inside due to a dented/damaged box? :p

Well, I guess you didn't read the last part of my post, do you? I made it in bold this time just in case you missed it again. :p

And that's the reason why I buy stuff now at HLJ so I won't receive 'Sorry, we can't do anything...' excuses from the other stores. And I have the 10 day window to contact them for any defects. That's why I always inspect my toys once it arrives. With dent or undented, damaged or undamaged box. There you go. ;)

Edited by no3ljm

I think that HLJ specifically states on their website, that they are not the store for you if you're looking for pristine packaging.