DX Chogokin YF-29B Percival

IXTL

Very nice! Didn't realise you'd get such up close shots with the 35mm. Awesome!

I have to point out something that bugs me though - such amazing tampo and paint accents on this bird, especially all the gold. Love it! But why, oh why can't they paint the missiles white? Those red tips only draw your eye to the fact that bodies of the missiles are completely unpainted. Oh well, she's gorgeous otherwise...

Sweet close-ups.

:D

Very nice! Didn't realise you'd get such up close shots with the 35mm. Awesome!

I have to point out something that bugs me though - such amazing tampo and paint accents on this bird, especially all the gold. Love it! But why, oh why can't they paint the missiles white? Those red tips only draw your eye to the fact that bodies of the missiles are completely unpainted. Oh well, she's gorgeous otherwise...

Thank you. Actually this was shot with my Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art and it is a crop of the photos I posted is the Yeti Stand alpha thread. ;)

I was wondering the same thing about the missile for the 29s, the Armored parts on the VF-25 had white under coat to create the white band that made the missile visually pop.

Edited by Saburo

I've painted my YF-29 Isamu type's but only on one leg. That took ages and I haven't been in any hurry to get back to it, unfortunately. The shoulder ones are even tougher, because there's less surface to get to. Someone needs to make a white gundam marker for this purpose. Hmmm...

Glad you're not limited to just one lens! Shots look great with the flexibility of widish and normal lenses.

I've painted my YF-29 Isamu type's but only on one leg. That took ages and I haven't been in any hurry to get back to it, unfortunately. The shoulder ones are even tougher, because there's less surface to get to. Someone needs to make a white gundam marker for this purpose. Hmmm...

Glad you're not limited to just one lens! Shots look great with the flexibility of widish and normal lenses.

I give you much credit to painting 29 Isamu leg missiles, I don't have the patience for patience for painting anymore, I can do simple touch up, but something as intricate and as painting those missile I wouldn't be able to handle it. LOL I have been wanting to panel line my Valks, but when I look at my display case I think "if I do one of them, I'll have to do them all..." :lol: My one day I'll get to the panel lining, till them I'll be taking pics.

Yeah, I picked up the 50mm after we had last talked camera gear. I sold my 7D and some TFs so that covered the cost of the new lens. :D

Edited by Saburo

So sad that a whole 7D was not enough to cover the new lens!

Painting the missiles was indeed a pain! And so was painting the landing gear. But the missiles were definitely harder. And I'm still not entirely happy with the result I got.

Anyone wanting to tackle this, you've got two "no-go" areas - the missile tips and the black base that the missiles "fit" into. The tips aren't too hard to avoid, but the base sure is! Since I use acrylic paint, it's not terribly difficult to come along and get rid of the excess later. But I'd recommend a few thin coats applied with a brush, and then come along with a sharp toothpick or other pointed, but not too hard tool, and carefully scrape away the paint that shouldn't be there.

My long term goal was to follow all of this up with a black wash, so that any mistakes would get hidden under the wash. I've yet to do that though.

... but when I look at my display case I think "if I do one of them, I'll have to do them all..." :lol:

Ah, so you understand the curse I put myself under the moment I did my first one! ;)

I'm starting to get back into it. I've been weathering my 29B tonight to start and perhaps that was a bad choice. It's a lot more effort and hard to do because it's so dark... which means having to fade/lighten the color first and then do the weathering over top of that. Hard to predict whether I made the contrast too much or too subtle once I spray the clear coat, but I think I would prefer to err on the side of too subtle. On top of that, I'm painting the sensor array frame again... that thing is a pain in the @$$, but at least I think I managed to get close to/match the grayish periwinkle blue color.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

.... I'm painting the sensor array frame again... that thing is a pain in the @$$, but at least I think I managed to get close to/match the grayish periwinkle blue color.

My apologies MJ - I know I'm to blame for that one. What on earth did you find for the color?

My apologies MJ - I know I'm to blame for that one. What on earth did you find for the color?

LOL, no worries. It's my OCD that's to blame.

I dug around my paints to see what I had that was close. I picked out some model master cobalt blue, light gray and dark gray.

I started with the cobalt blue and then mixed in the grays until I got it to where I wanted it.

Here's some pics of my weathered 29B. Painted the sensor frame and recolored the fold crystals also.

Testing out a new photo setup without using a light tent so I'm still figuring out some things.

I'll have the other modes maybe tomorrow. The clip that attaches the back of the left intake to the underside of the chest somehow snapped in half so I'm attempting to glue it and see if it holds.

It must have been defective because that is the first time that has ever happened to me amongst all my 25's and 29's.

YF-29B_Rod_Fighter_01.jpg

YF-29B_Rod_Fighter_02.jpg

YF-29B_Rod_Fighter_03.jpg

YF-29B_Rod_Fighter_04.jpg

YF-29B_Rod_Fighter_05.jpg

YF-29B_Rod_Fighter_06.jpg

YF-29B_Rod_Fighter_07.jpg

YF-29B_Rod_GERWALK_01.jpg

MJ - Top notch work, as always! So you darkened the fold crystals but left them blue, right? Also, that sensor window looks flawless. Very, very nice work, knowing first hand what a pain that is to do.

So am I correct in noticing that this version has the boom for the beam guns in the correct color? Shame they couldn't do that for the Ozma variant.

MJ - Top notch work, as always! So you darkened the fold crystals but left them blue, right? Also, that sensor window looks flawless. Very, very nice work, knowing first hand what a pain that is to do.

So am I correct in noticing that this version has the boom for the beam guns in the correct color? Shame they couldn't do that for the Ozma variant.

Thanks!

The fold crystals are actually purple. I tried a new clear purple paint which was also lacquer and I guess it was a bit more saturated than I expected.

The Ozma variant is actually correct also, even if it might not look good. In the game, it's just a black bar too.

785f17ad.jpg

So let me ask you this kids: The Percival is just a name right? I mean this I a 29B, so the Avionics are different, but it's more or less just a typical Durandel? Something in another thread made me wonder, so I wasn't sure. Percival was one of Authurs Knights, and I thought the name was being used as an opposing one for Siegfried, Leon's callsign from Macross 30. Percival was the game's antagonists plane right?

So I got mine in nd... man she's pretty! i havent had a chance to transform it yet, but just every colour on this thing is gorgeous. It's a great looking toy!

So the pilots name is Ron Balter or somesuch yes? He's the main anti-hero guy? The Guld to Leon's Isamu?

So I got mine in nd... man she's pretty! i havent had a chance to transform it yet, but just every colour on this thing is gorgeous. It's a great looking toy!

So the pilots name is Ron Balter or somesuch yes? He's the main anti-hero guy? The Guld to Leon's Isamu?

Pretty close. They both knew the same girl, and were friends as a trio. Girl died.