• 2 weeks later...

That does look rather neat.

Mr Amell was out working the pizza ovens today somewhere in NY. He briefly forgot his Canadian politeness looking at a lady in line "what do you want?!" He has been in NY for to long!

Finally saw the first film on Amazon and it was pretty good. Better fun for kids than adults though.

Just saw the first one recently off a free Epix preview. I had an entirely different experience, and thought it was pretty bad, so much so that I had to watch it over the course of a couple of days as it put me to sleep roughly half way through on the first night, and almost repeated the feat on the second. I agree with you on the fun for kids opinion... ADD riddled kids, that is. :p

"Bays subtexts remain questionable: here were asked to cheer heavily weaponised pizza guzzlers against a cabal of non-Caucasians, in a way that altogether uncomfortably aligns turtle power with its white equivalent."

Okay, really? They should have fought that Scottish Ninja Clan like from the comics and cartoons, right? Why do these frakkers need to read into imaginary subtext?

^ Because engaging in such shallow, transparent baiting makes them see themselves as morally and intellectually superior and tend to impress insipid minds who buy into that narrative. That being said, I'm positive that this new Ninja Turtles movie will blow the kind of rancid chunks that only a Bay associated flick can.

^ Because engaging in such shallow, transparent baiting makes them see themselves as morally and intellectually superior and tend to impress insipid minds who buy into that narrative. That being said, I'm positive that this new Ninja Turtles movie will blow the kind of rancid chunks that only a Bay associated flick can.

I don't know, it looks like they just decided it's a silly concept so ape the cartoon. I'm sure the jokes will be bad but it's at least far more honest, even if it's bad.

Still can't wait, going this weekend, it looks like a ton of fun. I thoroughly enjoyed the first too, despite how stupid it was, I could give two frakks less about RT or Metacritic scores. It's weird, I absolutely hate the Transformers films, and these are nearly the same type of film but with a Ninja Turtles color scheme. Maybe it's just the right kind of crazy and stupid that fits the turtles better then the Cons and Bots, don't know, but KRANG!!!

The odd thing is that Nickelodeon's contemporary TMNT series is surprisingly, thoroughly good, for kids and young-at-heart adults; heck, the original '90s flicks, as silly as they were, including (barely) the godawful III, were better than the modern movie take... which is really baffling until you remember that it is a Michael Bay project.

I was a big fan of the original tmnt comics, and I really disliked the tv show at first. But the first movie was a great blend of the two. I must've seen it 8-9 times in the theater, and the soundtrack was the first cd I ever bought.

I was really disappointed in the 2nd one & never saw the 3rd.

I guess I lost interest after that. After what Bay did to TF (with 2, at least), I knew well enough to avoid these films. And I really don't like Megan Fox...

I saw it with my daughter last night....she wanted to see it, bless her little 8yr old heart. We both liked it. It's more of the first one, which I didn't mind and actually kind of liked. If you at least like the Turtles in the first movie ('14) then this one is an improvement as the turtle are MUCH more prominent in this movie. April's role is toned down quite a bit. Will Arnetts Vern is much better this time too. This movie is definately aimed more for kids but I just had fun watching the brothers interact with each other. MY one main gripe would be that there was really no hand to hand action by by the Turtles at all....their action was really more chase scene type action..meaning.... get something before someone else or distract while one of them tries to accomplish a task. I would've liked to have seen them kick a little more butt. I still liked it though.

Chris

After the poor box office reception, I hope we get a reboot that makes everyone forget these films existed. And if we get e reboot I hope it's a good one without giant turtles or Megan Fox and ends up being closer to the source material.

I still don't know how these massive turtles climb out of a sewer.

Edited by Big s

I saw it with a group of friends Saturday, it was a ton of fun, Shredder and The Foot were improved, there was less human stuff overall, and Bebop and Rocksteady didn't disappoint. I loved it, and I want a third, it was like a literal live action take on an episode of the original cartoon series, which was incredibly stupid, so it was a faithful adaptation of that in my opinion.

After the poor box office reception, I hope we get a reboot that makes everyone forget these films existed. And if we get e reboot I hope it's a good one without giant turtles or Megan Fox and ends up being closer to the source material.

I still don't know how these massive turtles climb out of a sewer.

What do you mean by closer to the source material? Do you mean the original Eastman and Laird stuff? Because you should know that's never, ever going to happen. The Turtles are now owned by Nick, everything Turtles now needs to be acceptable for children, aka their target audience, gritty Eastman Turtles would be a flop, and I have little confidence anyone could pull it off anyway. Edited by Tking22

I did say closer to the source material, not an exact copy. The new film turtles are almost twice as big as they were in the old days and they are very hard to look at. Part of the what made me love them as a kid was that they were short and almost cute, something you don't expect to kick anyone's butt. The other thing here from the trailers that I have problem with is the over use of explosions and slow mo. None of the previews show what they physically can do. And just because the comic was dark it was still fun, but I don't think a film will ever be made that will capture all that. I also liked them having tails, which was something that gets left out here and there with different versions.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't say I was ever a really big TMNT fan, but I do know that the Shredder didn't get much love in toy form. Behold OrakuSaki.

That is neat. I might have to order it. Hopefully S.H.Figuarts does one that goes well with their Turtles. Even a webshop exclusive is ok for me as long as he is super pose-able.

• 2 months later...

I'm a big fan of the current Nickelodeon cartoon series and of the more recent cartoon's from the last ten years or so, but I never read the comics. I took my nephew to the first one and was forced to sit through it, but it was a slog. He was 9 at the time and loved it though. The story was bad and the backstory changes really sucked, especially Splinter's.

The new film turtles are almost twice as big as they were in the old days and they are very hard to look at. Part of the what made me love them as a kid was that they were short and almost cute, something you don't expect to kick anyone's butt.

The look of the turtles really turned me off too.

I tried to sit through the second movie, which I didn't have to pay for and at some point soon after the Kasey Jones introduction, I just had to stop. I'll take the 90's live action movies over this grimdark, Bay-crap anytime.

Edited by Mazinger

• 2 weeks later...