All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Guest davidwhangchoi

True story; I was just reminiscing in my head about the original Metroid for NES and how awesome the levels and hidden levels where and how I'd PAY for the original to be available to play on a next gen system.

Loved that game as a kid.

-b.

my favorite game of the 8 bit era.

Some pics from my South Ataria for FlightSimulator X project.

Still Work in Progress, I'm still learning how to use some tools (For the ground mesh mostly) but I'm happy with the result:

fsx_2014_05_03_23_52_40_49.jpg

fsx_2014_05_03_23_54_06_53.jpg

fsx_2014_05_03_23_56_59_72.jpg

Since when did the NES get so rare that we have to pay $400+ for the same hardware in a new box? Yeah I get its HDMI and RGB and the box is built out of aluminum but that still doesn't justify the price.

Had a question maybe someone can help with. Been setting up a home theater after moving into my new house this weekend. Got everything except 1 crucial thing picked out and that's console storage. I'd like something that alone is just gonna handle my PS3/4 Xbox One/360 consoles, controls, chargers and games are kept in a seperate area of the room. Been looking at shelves but they're either to tall, not wide enough, or not enough dividers. Any thoughts?

Had a question maybe someone can help with. Been setting up a home theater after moving into my new house this weekend. Got everything except 1 crucial thing picked out and that's console storage. I'd like something that alone is just gonna handle my PS3/4 Xbox One/360 consoles, controls, chargers and games are kept in a seperate area of the room. Been looking at shelves but they're either to tall, not wide enough, or not enough dividers. Any thoughts?

Is there an Ikea in your area? While I don't have one and never have used their furniture, they seem to have a lot of solutions to problems like yours.

So... You need something for four consoles. That's it. Not the TV? Is it problematic if it has more space?

Since when did the NES get so rare that we have to pay $400+ for the same hardware in a new box? Yeah I get its HDMI and RGB and the box is built out of aluminum but that still doesn't justify the price.

$500, and $50 extra for for the HDMI upscaler.

If it came with the HDMI adapter built in, and if they included a pair of controllers and a light gun all built out of aluminum as well, then I'd say it was MAYBE worth it. as it stands I think it's stupid.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i was reading the comments on the polygon thread and it's seems that the most expensive part is converting it to rgb:

Ok apparently all of you guys missed the part that says “RGB”. In order to get a Nintendo or Famicom to output true RGB, extreme modifications with expensive components are required. Previously one had to rip apart the PPU of a Play Choice Nintendo Arcade cabinet to get the part required for the RGB mod. This is not a cheap or easy modification. Here in Japan old Famicoms with the RGB mod go for 60,000 yen on the cheap end.

Is there an Ikea in your area? While I don't have one and never have used their furniture, they seem to have a lot of solutions to problems like yours.

Not really, closest one is a bit over an hour of a drive but there is one available. I'm planning on going there maybe this weekend to pick up those Detolf glass cabinets for my collectiables.

So... You need something for four consoles. That's it. Not the TV? Is it problematic if it has more space?

Just the consoles, my TV is wall mounted, space isn't exactly problematic, I was kind of hoping for something that'd be a corner piece so it isn't in eye view from watching the TV. Currently I'm under going color calibrations and I want the main focus to be the TV without any kind of distractions like the constantly on Xbox logo on the One, or the white/blue pulse of the PS4.

True story; I was just reminiscing in my head about the original Metroid for NES and how awesome the levels and hidden levels where and how I'd PAY for the original to be available to play on a next gen system.

Loved that game as a kid.

-b.

Try playing Shadow Complex on the Xbox Arcade. It is just as awesome with a lot of the same mechanics.

Why would RGB even be a thing in this day and age? Yeah, it used to be the end-all-be-all for the Genesis, back when the Genesis reigned supreme. But nowadays---really, if you've got HDMI, that's all you could ask for. Might as well ask for S-Video, too, and charge an extra $150 for it...

Guest davidwhangchoi

lol you guys crack me up:

this reminds me of the 1/1 gun arcadia is selling or basara's guitar/mylene's bass.

kotaku review of the new vita slim: i'm on the fence of rebuying one. i sold my oled one bc the screen was crappy. (not the oled tech but the green splotches that plague it)

http://kotaku.com/the-new-vita-is-an-improvement-mostly-1572500303

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Just the consoles, my TV is wall mounted, space isn't exactly problematic, I was kind of hoping for something that'd be a corner piece so it isn't in eye view from watching the TV. Currently I'm under going color calibrations and I want the main focus to be the TV without any kind of distractions like the constantly on Xbox logo on the One, or the white/blue pulse of the PS4.

Ok. I was just thinking about my TV stand when you said what consoles you have. But mine is actually a stand; I have a 70" TV on it, with speakers in the small shelves directly under the TV. Under that, it's basically two rows that go shelf, drawer, shelf. On the left side are the PS3 and PS4, on the right are the One and 360. I stick stuff like cables and extra controllers in the drawers. As perfect as it is for me (I think I have mild OCD; during the previous console generation I the PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, and a Mac mini. After I got the Xbox One, I would up rearranging so the One and 360 would be on the same side, then I actually removed the Wii U and Mac mini so that the PS4 I didn't even have could be on the same side as the PS3, then I spent the next two months driving myself nuts actually trying to track down a PS4), it doesn't sound like it'll work for you. But if I see anything, I'll let you know.

Emulation solves all these issues. It's 2014, not 1994.

This. I've got three Windows desktops, two Windows laptops, a Linux laptop, an Android phone, an Android tablet, and a Nvidia Shield (and lets not forget a PSP with custom firmware). I've got a USB SNES controller, a wired Xbox 360 controller, a USB adapter for a DualShock 2, and the USB receiver to use wireless 360 controllers on PC. Plus, there are ways to get both the DualShock 3 and DualShock 4 to work with PCs. Seems way easier to just use what I have than to spend money on another box... then find a spot in my entertainment center for it...

kotaku review of the new vita slim: i'm on the fence of rebuying one.

If they didn't downgrade the screen, I'd have considered selling my Vita for the Slim just to have micro USB charging. I guess I'll stick with the one I have... which I don't play anyway. Seriously, I played WipeOut and Uncharted when it first came out, I was super addicted to Persona 4 Golden (hence my avatar), and I did re-buy digital versions of a few PSP games I had (Maverick Hunter X, Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection, and Persona 3 Portable stand out in my memory). But the last time I seriously played anything on my Vita was after I came back from China in June 2012, and I bought Dynasty Warriors Next. So, even though my friend is constantly going on and on about how great the Vita is and how he's playing all these games on his Vita, mine's been collecting dust for nearly 2 years.

Emulation solves all these issues. It's 2014, not 1994.

I prefer playing on my SNES over a emulator any day. The emulators I use never feel right when playing. Maybe because I'm sitting to close to the screen. I also like the feeling of popping cartridges in and out of the console and that I can switch the console on and start playing so I don't have to wait for something to boot. I would love to have an original NES. Not this one but an original gray box. :)

Is there an emulator that I should check out to change my opinion?

Edited by Scyla

I prefer playing on my SNES over a emulator any day. The emulators I use never feel right when playing. Maybe because I'm sitting to close to the screen. I also like the feeling of popping cartridges in and out of the console and that I can switch the console on and start playing so I don't have to wait for something to boot. I would love to have an original NES. Not this one but an original gray box. :)

Is there an emulator that I should check out to change my opinion?

Well, no emulator is going to give you the feeling of swapping cartridges, and if you're running an emulator off of a PC, you're always going to have to boot the PC first.

That said, there are things you can do for a better emulation experience. For starters, get USB versions of the actual controllers. A SNES game was meant to be played with a SNES controller, after all. Then, if you've got suitable hardware, use an emulator like Higan that is focused on accuracy instead of efficiency. That should help with the emulator "feeling right." If sitting to close to a computer monitor is an issue (it's not for me... I had mine hooked up to a 13" TV in my room, and I used to sit right up in front of it), try hooking a computer up to your TV. Smaller computers designed to fit in home theater setups are increasingly common (and are convenient for other things, like watching free Hulu content or video files in containers that other devices don't like). You can put the computer in sleep mode instead of turning it completely off, and the wake time will be faster than the cold boot time. You can even look for controller-friendly front-ends to run your emulators from, although I haven't gone that far.

I'm aware of this options but none of them is viable for me.

Thanks for the response. I will check out the Higan emulator and the USB controllers because I want to try out the fan translation of Seiken Densetsu 3. since this was never released outside of Japan and I don't know how to feel about those Secret of Mana 2 cartridges. :p

Guest davidwhangchoi

i liked the feeling of blowing into the nes cartridges to make them work :) it gives an authentic feeling.

Having tried this game, based on the enthusiasm earlier expressed in this thread, I can honestly say I do not see the appeal of 2048 at all.

I have a REALLY boring art history class Tuesday/Thursday mornings. :rolleyes:

Analogue Nt, is a retro nes console w no emulator but the original chips. the price 499... not so retro

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/5/5683650/analogue-nt-aluminum-nes-pre-order

A better experience would be to go to the local swap meet and get a working CRT TV and NES for less than $50. $500? Ridiculous.

you are a very bad person...

Congrats! I still haven't done it despite all the boring meetings I've been to. It's the perfect game to fight death by Powerpoint.

Guest davidwhangchoi

wii u... it's possibly the beginning of the end already???

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Try playing Shadow Complex on the Xbox Arcade. It is just as awesome with a lot of the same mechanics.

Will do - thanks for the suggestion!

Re: the NES, I'd totally buy one for the 30th anniversary or whatever. As it stands my 360, PS3 and 4 are collecting dust (just haven't been in the mood to play much of anything) and I haven't even thought about getting an One yet.

-b.