All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

I admit, I'm still hyped for Alien: Isolation. It looks like it's done by competent developers who aren't going to get distracted and stop working on it until Sega asks them where their game is. And, you know, it's an Alien game designed to be SCARY.

It's amazing it's taken this long for someone to make a survival-horror game out of the franchise.

The only thing I don't like from what I've seen is that they're using Ripley's daughter. Sometimes, it's better to just let the backstory be backstory.

And I think having her daughter tussle with the aliens too is a dangerous first step towards turning the Ripley clan into some sort of space-Belmont family. Ripley's already dealt with the aliens more than is sane without having her daughter get into the omnicidal space-bug business too.

Oh, and if her daughter becomes popular, I have to stop calling Ripley "Ripley" because of confusion. That'll be problematic.

I have high hopes for Alien Isolation, everything looks so good so far. really loving the atmosphere.

We really need this to be great to wash that bad A:CM taste out.

I've been playing Watch_Dogs lately, not bad. I'm enjoying the hacking tale so far.

Yeah. And I think Sega learned a lot about project management after Colonial Marines.

Don't just ASSUME whoever you sublicensed a project to is actually working on it. Check in on them from time to time, and ask them for some proof of effort, not just "'Sup, you guys still in business? Coo', here's another check."

Colonial Marines feels like it was slapped together in six months because it WAS. Gearbox basically stopped working on it entirely after Borderlands took off, until one day Sega came by and asked them "Hey, when are you gonna finish Colonial Marines for us? You've got two other games out since we signed you to make it, so we're kinda wondering what you've been doing with our money, you know?" and Gearbox went "Oh, fudgesicles!" and sublicensed it out to ANOTHER company and told them "Make this game in six months. No ifs, ands, or buts." and then told Sega "Naw, we've been workin' hard. Game's gonna be ready in six months. Promise."

That said... did you ever read the change logs for the PC version patches?

Because you should. They're hilarious, and I've never laughed so hard at a list of bugs.

Though I still maintain "Ripley’s Flamethrower would sometimes fire continuously without player input" isn't a bug so much as just good characterization.

oh yeah lol The bug lists where laughably long. Its sad that A:CM became how it was,after the reps where talking it up in every video saying "this is considered canon in the story" "its going to be amazing and immersive" when it was anything but,hell even the E3 'demo' they had was heaps better looking then what the actual product was lol.

I suppose the only 'good' thing we can take from A:CM was that it did provide a few funny videos showcasing hilarious bugs and glitches. How the mighty had fallen.

Alien Isolation needs to come in,kick the door down and yell "This is what you need!" and actually SCARE us. So far so good,all my fingers are crossed.

Altho I do agree about Ripleys Daughter being the main protag, I know they are trying to connect it. But really, we dont need it to connect to the films,why cant they use their imagination to create an original character? I guess we will see soon enough how it pans out.

Edited by Vepariga

I think what bothers me the most about A:CM is the interview the head of gearbox gave in Game Informer talking about why licensed games suck, why studios even bother making crappy games, and how they take on games they know they don't want just so they can make enough money to do the stuff they do want to make. He went out of his way to say the Aliens license was something the studio wanted, and yet everything that went wrong with A:CM is exactly what he outlined about crap games.

Heads up to those who haven't heard about it yet: apparently the e3 2012 Watch_Dogs graphics files (the graphics that originally wowed a lot of us) are actually present in the PC download, but disabled.

A mod is currently circulating that enables these graphics, and brings performance boosts as well.

That said, I believe the site to download this mod is currently down due to traffic.

Don't know the rules about posting links to mods, so I'll refrain, but feel free to Google it.

Edit: I suppose the big question here is why these graphics were disabled in the first place. My guess would be to make sure the PS4, and even more so, the xbone don't look particularly worse than PC as "next-gen" platforms

Edited by Archer

Too bad you have to pay for the pre-order immediately, I really hate that.

*Edit, or maybe not - I opted to close out of the PayPal window and I got an on-screen message that said order cancelled, but when I logged back into my account it said awaiting payment

Guess time will tell!

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike

you can get it through BBTS and not have to pay until it's in stock, but it'll cost $10 more after shipping and you don't get the arc cannon.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=THZ10028&mode=retail

Thank you! I'll use BBTS as plan B in case my order with ThreeZero gets cancelled. I want the exclusive cannon.

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Thank you! I'll use BBTS as plan B in case my order with ThreeZero gets cancelled. I want the exclusive cannon.

-b.

Hey b, do you have an xone? i would get one but with the 400, i prob need to get an xone first. damn let me know how massive that thing is once it's released at the end of the year. .

Guest davidwhangchoi

you can get it through BBTS and not have to pay until it's in stock, but it'll cost $10 more after shipping and you don't get the arc cannon.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=THZ10028&mode=retail

did you pay for it already for the exclusive arc cannon or did you go the bbts route? (sorry took two posts)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Hey David, currently I just have the order directly through the ThreeZero store and nope, not paid for yet.

I read thru their Help section to try and get a feel for how they prefer and process payments and it only says;

That payment is due before the item has shipped (ha)

Most of the items sold on their site are pre-orders

And that shipment is within the pre-order window (so for this it could theoretically be between now and Q4)

So for now the order remains opened and awaiting payment when I log into the account, but I'll wait a couple of days to see if it cancels.

post-357-0-39496500-1402983382_thumb.jpg

^This is what it looks like (I've removed the Order and Transaction ID's).

-b.

did you pay for it already for the exclusive arc cannon or did you go the bbts route? (sorry took two posts)

I put in a BBTS order as soon as I got an email newsletter from them, I didn't find the direct order option until after. I do plan to buy it through threezero since it'll be a tiny bit cheaper in the end and I do want the extra gun. I just need to make sure I've got enough money in paypal to pay for it first so I'm keeping the BBTS preorder until I'm sure the threezero order goes through just in case.

Hey David, currently I just have the order directly through the ThreeZero store and nope, not paid for yet.

I read thru their Help section to try and get a feel for how they prefer and process payments and it only says;

And that shipment is within the pre-order window (so for this it could theoretically be between now and Q4)

So for now the order remains opened and awaiting payment when I log into the account, but I'll wait a couple of days to see if it cancels.

attachicon.gifMy ThreeZero Order.JPG

-b.

I've never done business with ThreeZero directly, only with threeA (3A is a partnership between ThreeZero and artist Ashley Wood). threeA always expects payment up front, and will periodically go through all their incoming orders during the preorder period and throw out any unpaid orders. I get the feeling it'll be like the Metal gear rex that 3A did.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I put in a BBTS order as soon as I got an email newsletter from them, I didn't find the direct order option until after. I do plan to buy it through threezero since it'll be a tiny bit cheaper in the end and I do want the extra gun. I just need to make sure I've got enough money in paypal to pay for it first so I'm keeping the BBTS preorder until I'm sure the threezero order goes through just in case.

attachicon.gifMy ThreeZero Order.JPG

-b.

Thanks guys!

Guest davidwhangchoi

Comparison video ps3 vs. ps4/pc/xone (not sure which is it but it looks PC) GTAV

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

a modder find files hidden in watchdogs PC code that makes the game look closer to the 2012 e3 trailer. it's already in the code. modder claims there's even a code for a fix for the stuttering issues. ubisoft locked away the files, which people are suspecting either it was bc it was unstable or to make it run on last gen consoles:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=838538

Guest davidwhangchoi

Um, it says PS4 right there in the video...

lol, obviously i put it up so i'm sure i can read... :D

this was taking from the e3 footage which was shown at sony press conference edite: and xone conference but was not clarified it's from ps4(DF says it is), i'm suspecting it's from a PC. but who knows... so i just put a disclaimer...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Quick question, is it weird that the first street fighter game I've ever owned is the copy of super street fighter 4 I got free with Xbox live gold this month?

:edit:

and I'm super, super bad at it.

Edited by anime52k8

Yes. But you're a lot younger than a lot of us right? People my age were all over SFII.

when SFII first came out in arcades (early 1991) I was less than a year old; so yeah, kind of before my time. also, I was always more into light gun games than fighting games (read, I sucked less at them). :p

for me it was all about Time crisis II

Edited by anime52k8

Bonus points if you played it in an arcade! (actual arcade, not a lone machine in a pizza place or something)

Bonus points galore. Right down to placing quarters on the machine for next and having a crowd watch your matches.

when SFII first came out in arcades (early 1991) I was less than a year old; so yeah, kind of before my time. also, I was always more into light gun games than fighting games (read, I sucked less at them). :p

for me it was all about Time crisis II

The hell, a 90's kid. GET OFF MY LAWN!

Holy hell I feel old.

Me too.

Only as old as you feel guys! And I feel 28...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yes. But you're a lot younger than a lot of us right? People my age were all over SFII.

i was one of the best players in my neighborhood. till the guy who beat me went on to win several tournaments. but i could hold my own beating a whole line of players for about 4 hours at my local arcade.