All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Between you and me, I think you're making the right call, buying a new system. I managed to find a PS4 in January, and so far I'd guess that the amount of time I've spent playing it has been tripled by the amount of time I've played on my PS3 since then.

Yeah, the PS4 just doesn't have a lot of games worth buying yet, IMO, and many of the new games have PS3 versions. Besides, I don't trust a console to be glitch free until it's at least 10 months old.

It's hilarious how game developers are making next-gen versions of relatively new PS3 games, like Tomb Raider (reportedly just as glitchy as the PS3 version, if not more so), TLOU, and even Dynasty Warriors 8. Would it be paranoid to think that Sony might be encouraging them to do so?

BTW, TR and the RE 5 & 6 game saves refuse to be copied to my flash drive. Must be something to do with the copyright thing.

BTW, TR and the RE 5 & 6 game saves refuse to be copied to my flash drive. Must be something to do with the copyright thing.

It's the same with Mass Effect saves and probably anything published by EA. I heard the official solution to that is to get a Playstation Plus subscription because you are allowed to upload all of your saves on a cloud server, including the copyrighted ones. Edited by Einherjar

It's the same with Mass Effect saves and probably anything published by EA.

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the gaming industry, but what possible point is there in copy-protecting a game save? What's there to plagiarize?

Either way, I do not look forward to starting again from scratch, working my way through Mercenaries to unlock Wesker.

Trophies? Not even worth the effort.

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the gaming industry, but what possible point is there in copy-protecting a game save? What's there to plagiarize?

I think it was an attempt by developers/publishers to prevent hacking. For multiplayer games, I can understand this, but not for single player games. Back when the online servers for White Knight Chronicles II were still up, I saw a lot of players using hacked saves with characters with stats beyond what was officially possible. It pissed off the community. However, they helped people in farming for rare materials and gave people an opportunity to see either locked or region-based content that eventually was never released outside of Japan. And last I heard, hacking is the only means to complete missions and at least one difficult trophy that relied on the online portion.

But for that Mass Effect save? It's EA, that's why.

I found that very few games do this. You can back them up if you have PS Plus, but I assume most people who don't play multiplayer games don't have it.

True. Of the 2 dozen games I own, only TR and RE 5 & 6 were copy-protected. There's an option for backing up online, but I haven't bothered with a PSN or PS Plus account since I'm not a fan of multiplayer games.

I think it was an attempt by developers/publishers to prevent hacking. For multiplayer games, I can understand this, but not for single player games. Back when the online servers for White Knight Chronicles II were still up, I saw a lot of players using hacked saves with characters with stats beyond what was officially possible. It pissed off the community. However, they helped people in farming for rare materials and gave people an opportunity to see either locked or region-based content that eventually was never released outside of Japan. And last I heard, hacking is the only means to complete missions and at least one difficult trophy that relied on the online portion.

But for that Mass Effect save? It's EA, that's why.

Being a non-multiplayer gamer, I never knew you could do that with a game save.

While TR and the RE 5 & 6 games had multiplayer sections, the bulk of the gameplay is single player or co-op oriented. It's one of those few times where I miss memory cards. All my saves were immediately accessible when I said farewell to my fat (and dead) PS2 and replaced it with a slim version.

It's hilarious how game developers are making next-gen versions of relatively new PS3 games, like Tomb Raider (reportedly just as glitchy as the PS3 version, if not more so), TLOU, and even Dynasty Warriors 8. Would it be paranoid to think that Sony might be encouraging them to do so?

Hey... I bought Dynasty Warriors 8 for my PS4. And it's actually pretty nice to have it plus DW8XL on one disc.

As for your suspicions, is Sony encouraging them? Well, in the case of The Last of Us, I should think so... it's their game! But for the others, I don't think it's anything as complicated as Sony doing some backroom dealing or anything (remember, Tomb Raider was also re-released on the Xbox One). I think it's probably just a simple cash grab, figuring that gamers desperate for something to play on their new consoles will either buy them if they passed before (like I did with DW8), or even double-dip (as I might if the rumors of a PS4/Xbox One version of the Mass Effect Trilogy turn out to be true).

Hey... I bought Dynasty Warriors 8 for my PS4. And it's actually pretty nice to have it plus DW8XL on one disc.

As for your suspicions, is Sony encouraging them? Well, in the case of The Last of Us, I should think so... it's their game! But for the others, I don't think it's anything as complicated as Sony doing some backroom dealing or anything (remember, Tomb Raider was also re-released on the Xbox One). I think it's probably just a simple cash grab, figuring that gamers desperate for something to play on their new consoles will either buy them if they passed before (like I did with DW8), or even double-dip (as I might if the rumors of a PS4/Xbox One version of the Mass Effect Trilogy turn out to be true).

Really, I'm not judging you. :D In fact, I was tempted to the the PS4 version of DW8 myself for my future PS4, for the same reasons you said. It's definitely less of a hassle to have both the main game and XL in the same disc. I wanted to try out Lu Lingqi; dude, come on, that's fricking Lu Bu's daughter! :lol:

BTW, is PS4 DW 8 any better in the graphics department, or is it the same as the PS3 version but with XL added? I was thinking maybe they might have improved on the minor details a bit.

What you said about the PS4 versions makes sense. The PS4's game roster is still woefully small, although it's understandable for a 4-5 month old console. Most gamers would be perfectly willing to try out a favorite game of theirs that now comes with better graphics, or one that they previously missed out on for the PS3.

I wouldn't mind if the re-released Far Cry or Borderlands as a complete version on the PS4. I didn't own a PS3 when the first games came out, and didn't see a point in buying the sequels if I didn't know what was going on.

BTW, is PS4 DW 8 any better in the graphics department, or is it the same as the PS3 version but with XL added? I was thinking maybe they might have improved on the minor details a bit.

Well, I never played the PS3 version, and the last Dynasty Warriors game I'd played was 6, so it's hard for me to make an apples-to-apples comparison. I think that it looked like a PS3 game, though. Although, the game ran buttery smooth at all times, even when there was a crap ton of enemies on the screen, so maybe that's an improvement?

I wouldn't mind if the re-released Far Cry or Borderlands as a complete version on the PS4. I didn't own a PS3 when the first games came out, and didn't see a point in buying the sequels if I didn't know what was going on.

I played Borderlands 2 without ever having played Borderlands 1. I definitely think I was missing some of the story, especially when you start hooking up with the heroes from the first game, but nothing that really affected my enjoyment of the game.

As for Far Cry, each game has been more or less unrelated to the previous ones. Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon are both excellent games (Far Cry 3 just missed being my pick for Game of the Year in 2012, but as good as it was I loved Sleeping Dogs), but I didn't really care for Far Cry 2.

And, not to impact your impending noodle diet, but if you're really interested there's a Far Cry compilation for the PS3, that contains Far Cry 2, 3, and Blood Dragon. It's $30 on Amazon.

Well, I never played the PS3 version, and the last Dynasty Warriors game I'd played was 6, so it's hard for me to make an apples-to-apples comparison. I think that it looked like a PS3 game, though. Although, the game ran buttery smooth at all times, even when there was a crap ton of enemies on the screen, so maybe that's an improvement?

I played Borderlands 2 without ever having played Borderlands 1. I definitely think I was missing some of the story, especially when you start hooking up with the heroes from the first game, but nothing that really affected my enjoyment of the game.

As for Far Cry, each game has been more or less unrelated to the previous ones. Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon are both excellent games (Far Cry 3 just missed being my pick for Game of the Year in 2012, but as good as it was I loved Sleeping Dogs), but I didn't really care for Far Cry 2.

And, not to impact your impending noodle diet, but if you're really interested there's a Far Cry compilation for the PS3, that contains Far Cry 2, 3, and Blood Dragon. It's $30 on Amazon.

Sounds like the same old DW8 game. Truth be told, DW games were known more for their literal army of playable characters rather than the quality of the graphics.

Personally, I'm pretty fussy when it comes to the storyline of a game; if I don't know what's going on, it tends to affect my enjoyment of a game.

Glad to hear that the Far Cry franchise is made up of more or less standalone games. I keep seeing the same main character on the covers, and though they'd all have to be inter-related.

30 USD(?) isn't that bad for 3 games, but I've got my eyes set on Watch Dogs for the PS3. I plan on picking it up when I go collect my new super slim. BTW, does amazon ship outside the US? Most times when I try to buy something, they tell me they don't.

I admit, I'm still hyped for Alien: Isolation. It looks like it's done by competent developers who aren't going to get distracted and stop working on it until Sega asks them where their game is. And, you know, it's an Alien game designed to be SCARY.

It's amazing it's taken this long for someone to make a survival-horror game out of the franchise.

The only thing I don't like from what I've seen is that they're using Ripley's daughter. Sometimes, it's better to just let the backstory be backstory.

And I think having her daughter tussle with the aliens too is a dangerous first step towards turning the Ripley clan into some sort of space-Belmont family. Ripley's already dealt with the aliens more than is sane without having her daughter get into the omnicidal space-bug business too.

Oh, and if her daughter becomes popular, I have to stop calling Ripley "Ripley" because of confusion. That'll be problematic.

Well...I read the article to mean that the game is getting some good buzz, hopefully that's true and this turns out to be as good as everyone hopes it is.

https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/alien--isolation-lures-back-original-alien-cast-members-183137096.html

-b.

I know that the PS4 and XBO are both less than a year old at this point, but I'm really disappointed at the lack of cool limited edition repainted consoles. I mean, it seemed like every triple A title that came out for the 360 got a repainted console bundle with matching controllers; I'm still miffed that the titanfall bundle got you nothing but a bone stock XBO box with a copy of the game and a box sleeve (and even more so that they DID a themed controller, and then sold it separately).

This, on the other hand, is a really cool idea, and it would make me want a PS4... if it was executed well, but it's not. :(

Malaysia. I'm not even sure if we have a local Amazon site.

Must have something to do with regional codes, or something. But I thought PS3's were region-free?

Tekken 7 announced!

They'd better not repeat that same solo campaign thing with the hybrid-3D style fighting for story mode. The controls were clunky as fu*k. Just stick with what works and give me good old fashioned 7-stage random fights until the boss in story mode, and Tekken force as a mini game.

As for the trailer...damn, that is one dysfunctional family. :lol: Nice, though.

Edited by GU-11

Aren't there companies that make decals for consoles that you can just stick on?

Yup.

And really, this doesn't even look that good. It's almost like they bought some stickers out of a gumball machine and slapped them on the system.

Should have molded the case out of transparent blue. Even better, one that had like a gradient from clear-white to clear-blue. (hey, if Lego can afford to do it on a tiny little 10-cent piece, it can be done on a PS4)

The only system I ever did any visual mods to was my PSX---and it was a clear colored case. And it looked neat.

Any of you guys ever heard of Rakuten?

There's a deal for new customers where, if you use the code TREAT4U, you can get a big discount on a few Xbox One launch games. I just ordered COD: Ghosts. The series has kind of gotten old for me, and I really prefer my shooters on PC, but it was only $5.99 with free shipping. I think I like the series on console $6 worth. ^_^

Guest davidwhangchoi

He just means the U.S. domestic side was buy.com. the huge japanese/international site which many MW members use to get valks is not related to buy.com.

Edited by davidwhangchoi