All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

that sounds scary

I take it you didn't get around to playing it, then?

A word of advice... even though the entire game takes place in the same hallway, things will change. If nothing has, you haven't solved the puzzle for that "level." Some of the solutions, especially the final one, aren't entirely obvious. If/when you die, or feel frustrated, keep at it! The game isn't over until you get the Silent Hills trailer.

Saddling you with arbitrary handycaps to artificially increase tension does not make for good gameplay or a legitimately fun/scary game IMO.

Limiting your RPG ammo is an arbitrary handicap to artificially increase tension. The tension that comes from an implacable, unbeatable horror that you can only avoid isn't artificial, nor is it arbitrary. It's a deliberate choice (and one that makes sense, because zombies and space monsters might keep killable but how are you going to beat a ghost without a proton pack?). Edited by mikeszekely

Guest davidwhangchoi

I take it you didn't get around to playing it, then?

A word of advice... even though the entire game takes place in the same hallway, things will change. If nothing has, you haven't solved the puzzle for that "level." Some of the solutions, especially the final one, aren't entirely obvious. If/when you die, or feel frustrated, keep at it! The game isn't over until you get the Silent Hills trailer.

i'm trying but can't get myself to do it... i'm still thinking of ps1 silent hill again... it was just too disturbing. especially when a baby starts crying in one room then nothing's there.

i'm trying but can't get myself to do it... i'm still thinking of ps1 silent hill again... it was just too disturbing. especially when a baby starts crying in one room then nothing's there.

Yeah, this game is going to eff with you then.

When you hear the baby crying, there will be something there this time. And you're going to wish there wasn't.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yeah, this game is going to eff with you then.

When you hear the baby crying, there will be something there this time. And you're going to wish there wasn't.

damn it :ph34r:

I just think the whole, "your completely defenseless because, apparently, all of your limbs are broken as that's the only reasonable to explain why you can barely walk and you can't even raise your arms to a threat; so something totally nonthreatening like a creaky floorboard or a slow moving homeless man are life threatening cosmic horrors" approach to horror game design is dated and lame.

Edited by anime52k8

So the theme of the last few posts is "scary games are scary". I think I'm going to boot up PT now and see what the fuss is about.

My personal preference is more in-line with anime52k8's in that I want to shoot, stab or punch my in-game enemies so that way I "feel" like I have a chance to survive.

If I wanted some realistic life and death scenarios I'd go to certain cities/neighborhoods, cause some ruckus and then try to get out on foot. Or I'd just piss off the girl I'm trying to date right now, she can be meeeeeaaaaannnn, and tough. :p

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

So the theme of the last few posts is "scary games are scary". I think I'm going to boot up PT now and see what the fuss is about.

-b.

tell me what happens... :ph34r: jk, i can ask mike if needed.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I just think the whole, "your completely defenseless because all of your limbs are broken so you can barely walk and you can't even raise your arms to a threat, so something totally nonthreatening like a creaky floorboard or a slow moving homeless man are life threatening cosmic horrors" approach to horror game design is dated and lame.

How is running supposed to help when

the only door leads back to where you started

and the "totally nonthreatening" thing coming for your is

the ghost of your wife, whom you murdered

?

I mean, I do get where you're coming from. There are some things you think you should have at least a chance to fight off in games that don't allow it, like the lunatics in Outlast. All I'm saying is that a weapon and something that can die is less scary. It's why I prefer ghost stories to zombie flicks.

How is running supposed to help when

the only door leads back to where you started

and the "totally nonthreatening" thing coming for your is

the ghost of your wife, whom you murdered

?

I mean, I do get where you're coming from. There are some things you think you should have at least a chance to fight off in games that don't allow it, like the lunatics in Outlast. All I'm saying is that a weapon and something that can die is less scary. It's why I prefer ghost stories to zombie flicks.

I think it's a big part personal tastes. I don't find ghosts scary, I don't understand the appeal of most Japanese horror films.

Playing.

This is my first venture into Silent Hill so I'm not really sure what to expect, but the atmosphere sure is creepy. And repetitive.

I also wish there was a better way to interact with the environment besides zooming to look and bumping into doors to try and open them, but hey...

-b.

Playing.

This is my first venture into Silent Hill so I'm not really sure what to expect, but the atmosphere sure is creepy. And repetitive.

I also wish there was a better way to interact with the environment besides zooming to look and bumping into doors to try and open them, but hey...

-b.

I will never pack a lunch in a brown paper bag again.

-b.

I will never pack a lunch in a brown paper bag again.

-b.

Did you finish?

Did you at least find the flashlight?

I think it's a big part personal tastes. I don't find ghosts scary, I don't understand the appeal of most Japanese horror films.

Probably. I love Japanese horror films, but the only zombie movies I've ever liked were the original Night of the Living Dead and Shaun of the Dead.

After owning Dark Souls 2 since the spring, I finally have gotten around to playing it. There's something about it that just doesn't seem right, though. I think it' may be the bizarro level design (spatially it doesn't make much sense). And, holy cow, do weapons break quickly.

I'm very early on in the game, though. Coming up on my first boss, I think. Plenty of time for things to change, but as it stands now I don't think I'll be platinuming this one.

Did you finish?

Did you at least find the flashlight?

Probably. I love Japanese horror films, but the only zombie movies I've ever liked were the original Night of the Living Dead and Shaun of the Dead.

Flashlight check. Refrigerator check. Peep hole check. Red check. Glitch check. Still playing...

sigh

-b.

sigh

-b.

You should be almost done, but the last "level" seems pretty random.

The baby has to laugh three times. The first one and the third one were pretty easy to get, but the second one took forever to trigger. I was actually one a pause screen when it happened.

Hope you're enjoying it, though.

The rage. The rage burning through me right now. Calling the last level frustrating would be in the running for the understatement of the year.

I finally finished it, but all this Playable Teaser has accomplished is to convince me to NEVER buy the whole game or investigate why Silent Hill is as popular as it is.

A trophy would have been nice to recognize the monumental headache that thing ended up giving me.

Grrrr

That said, if I had prior experience with Silent Hill I may have enjoyed it, but for my first foray into the universe I have to give this a big fat pass. Just very frustrating - stupid crying "baby".

-b.

Technically, most games do handicap the player in some way.

yeah, but some do it in ways that are unobtrusive and don't feel unreasonable within the context of the game, others do it in ways that feel arbitrary and forced. Things like having to walk in a big old circle that takes forever just to turn 180 degrees for no other reason than that's how the game was designed fall into the second category.

I just think the whole, "your completely defenseless because, apparently, all of your limbs are broken as that's the only reasonable to explain why you can barely walk and you can't even raise your arms to a threat; so something totally nonthreatening like a creaky floorboard or a slow moving homeless man are life threatening cosmic horrors" approach to horror game design is dated and lame.

I can agree to this to a certain extent, but I think its really all about the setting and the threat you face. For example if I'm being chased by a psycho armed with only a knife and I pass a kid's room that has a little league aluminum bat in it that I'm not allowed to pick up, or pass a kitchen that has to be full of knives but I can't have one of my own, or that chainsaw in the garage, that is what I call B.S.

On the other hand if the setting involves surviving a plane crash in the wild there's no way I'm taking down a Grizzly bear with a pocket knife.

I think Alien: Isolation is taking the later view in regards to its setting and threat. Okay yeah the Colonial Marines had effective weapons, but they were the military! By setting it on a civilian ship its at least believeable you aren't going to have access to military grade weaponry, and we all saw how that turned out in the first film.

Edited by renegadeleader1

I can agree to this to a certain extent, but I think its really all about the setting and the threat you face. For example if I'm being chased by a psycho armed with only a knife and I pass a kid's room that has a little league aluminum bat in it that I'm not allowed to pick up, or pass a kitchen that has to be full of knives but I can't have one of my own, or that chainsaw in the garage, that is what I call B.S.

Much like the locked door in every JRPG ever.

"Wait, I can throw fireballs, summon lightning out of a clear sky, and call the fury of the gods themselves down onto the heads of my enemies, but a WOODEN DOOR is insurmountable? My sword strikes with the literal force of an atomic blast! I could raze this entire ramshackle cottage to the motherloving BEDROCK with a single finger! But I can't get through the DOOR?!"

Yes, I've spent far too much time thinking about this before.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i booted up P.T. for the first time after taking a break from FFVIII (want to finally finish ff8 it for the first time) and after 5 mins i turned it off. i repeated the first room. once i heard banging on the door i turned it off.

i booted up P.T. for the first time after taking a break from FFVIII (want to finally finish ff8 it for the first time) and after 5 mins i turned it off. i repeated the first room. once i heard banging on the door i turned it off.

That's it?

The first loop is like a freebie, teaching you that the objective is to get through the door. Every other loop, though, the door is locked. The real meat of the game is figuring out how to unlock it and go to the next loop.

And it gets way more intense than banging doors...

hehh :unsure::ph34r:

just got too scared... need some people to come over

!!!

It's not that scary, just play during the day if you can. For me it was too much of the same thing and Hideo Kojima just loves to through in puzzles that tend to induce one to bang their head against a wall.

Anyone playing Diablo III on PS4? This is my first time every playing a Diablo game and so far I'm having a ton of fun.

-b.

!!!

It's not that scary, just play during the day if you can. For me it was too much of the same thing and Hideo Kojima just loves to through in puzzles that tend to induce one to bang their head against a wall.

Anyone playing Diablo III on PS4? This is my first time every playing a Diablo game and so far I'm having a ton of fun.

-b.

Thinking about it. I've been spending a lot on Gunpla lately, though, and my hockey nerd side wants to get NHL 15, since it's the first NHL game on the PS4. Since that's in two weeks, if I get Diablo III, it won't be soon.

Guest davidwhangchoi

!!!

-b.

i did try it during the day as you advised but it was still too scary... i'm going to wait for resident evil remaster

Thinking about it. I've been spending a lot on Gunpla lately, though, and my hockey nerd side wants to get NHL 15, since it's the first NHL game on the PS4. Since that's in two weeks, if I get Diablo III, it won't be soon.

You know they took out the EASHL and the GM connected modes out of the PS4 and XBone right?

I was reminded of the Frontier content they had a few years ago when I saw this.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/22/playstation-home-turns-off-the-lights-in-japan-this-march/

It might be the beginning of the end for the whole PS Home experiment. It was interesting for a while, but I eventually found a lot of the people online really weird and money sink content and games really shallow.

You know they took out the EASHL and the GM connected modes out of the PS4 and XBone right?

Two modes I didn't bother with in NHL 14. :)

Seriously, I started a Be a Pro left wing, finished a season with the Plymouth Whalers in the OHL, got drafted by the Sabres, requested a trade, went to Carolina secured them the President's Trophy, they trade me to Washington. Three seasons later I took a contract with the Jets... Then finally decided to play something else.

i did try it during the day as you advised but it was still too scary... i'm going to wait for resident evil remaster

Cannot wait for the RE Remaster to come out!

Resident Evil was the first game I bought with my PlayStation back in 1990-whatever and I used to play it non-stop.

-b.