All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

BRANDISH!

*ahem*

Yesterday, Xseed hit PSN with the english version of the PSP remake of Falcom's classic dungeon crawler RPG that everyone hates because you have to play with the camera and your sword keeps breaking. I'd long since given up any hope of that one ever making it over here, because, well, it's always been kind of reviled in the west.

In fairness, it's not the first ever english release, but... the Super Nintendo version was a long time ago, and they made Dela put on some clothes for that one. Blasphemy, I tell ya!

I'd rather have a full boxed release, but ... BRANDISH!

I bring this to the attention of anyone that cares, just because it's a PSP game coming out in 2015. Gonna be very easy to miss.

new model N3DS supposely leaked and coming 2/13 also leaked Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter 4 Ulitmate all coming on the same date;

IMG_0143.jpg

NeoGAF

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=970775

Yeah, and in a spectacular bout of classic NOA stupid they're only releasing the XL model in North America even though most reviews everywhere else say the smaller version was the superior one. Plus they changed the attractive Blue from the rest of the planet to a horrible Red.

What a shame with New 3DS, I was really hoping for the small version and the colors :wacko: . But in look in Japan what are they going to get !

As for the Two indie games excellent, Sky Rouge's surface is taken from the old Mega/ Sega-CD Silpheed, which is a nice tribute.

The real shame is that the the white with the colored buttons wasn't available in the XL size in the first place.

Guest davidwhangchoi

they have a majora's mask new 3ds xl (does not come with a game in U.S.)

as well as a monster hunter 4 edition gamestop exclusive version comes with the game preloaded. i think i like the monster hunter edition better but i'm going to wait till more colors come out. must buy the new model for xenoblade eventually..

Edited by davidwhangchoi

With a change of luck this past Xmas, I won a Xbox1 from the company holiday party. I finally put in some time with Farcry 4 after some recommendations. It's a blast and this has to be my fave moment so far: After I scoped out an outpost, I'm about to carry out my plan to take out the enemy undetected from the perimter inwards, when out of nowhere an elephant crashes through tossing cars and soldiers alike. All the soldiers group together to gang up on the pachyderm and get stomped. I then get credit for taking the outpost undetected. Hilarity ensues.

Here's a fun tip for Far Cry 4.

Early in the game, one of the first story missions will be to help reclaim a town/outpost/whatever. If you exit that town from the room with the store closet, walk around the building to the main road through the town, then turn right to head north along the road and out of town. Eventually you'll come to an intersection, and parked at the intersection will always be a buzzer.

Now, get on the buzzer and head to a radio tower you haven't taken over yet. If you careful, you can land the buzzer at the top of the tower (not on the actual roof, but on the level where the radio switch is). Sure beats climbing!

I haven't preordered anything, yet. I don't really like gold, and the Majora's Mask one doesn't even come with the game. The Monster Hunter one looks pretty nice and at least comes with the game, but I've never played a game in the series and don't have any inclination toward Monster Hunter art/text on my 3DS. So I guess I'll either hold of until there's a special edition I actually want and keep using my regular 3DS XL, or wait until a handful of games that require the new hardware are released.

Or, knowing me, I'll browsing the electronics at Walmart while grocery shopping and say "screw it, gimme a black one."

Edited by mikeszekely

Now, get on the buzzer and head to a radio tower you haven't taken over yet. If you careful, you can land the buzzer at the top of the tower (not on the actual roof, but on the level where the radio switch is). Sure beats climbing!

I will have to try this. So far I've run into only two or 3 spots where a buzzer would always be parked.

I unlocked several different guns, but I seem to going back to the bow for my killing needs.

I'm just pissed NOA decided every single one of us wants an XL version. I don't give a crap about replaceable faceplates but I am on the very low end of average height for males and my hands are not that large. The XL is simply too uncomfortable for me to hold. They just changed my day one purchase to I will not buy one now ever.

If they only would cancel their stupid region lock.

Yeah, the region lock has been a bummer since the first 3DS. It's like, as console makers are finally starting to drift away from it (I loved importing Gundam games on the PSP and PS3 without having to get a modded system like I did with the original PlayStation and PS2), Nintendo (who never had region locks on their Gameboys or older DS models) suddenly felt this sort of bull was absolutely necessary.

Guest davidwhangchoi

PS4!

thx! i think i will go for PS4

U.S. PSN if you pre-order it, capcom gives it for both ps3 and ps4 as a special crossbuy pre-order. but after the pre-order window users will have to buy it separately for each system...

anyone getting resident evil HD remake?

i'm trying to decide steam or PS3/4

I'm probably going to pass. Wife's pregnant, and I figure being a new dad is going to cut down on my gaming time for awhile. I just don't see myself using that time to play the original Resident Evil again (played it a bunch on PSX and played the Gamecube remake back when).

If I do get it, I'll get it on Steam, preferably during a sale. The new console honeymoon phase has worn off on me, and with the GTX 970 I upgraded to the only reason for a PS4 version to look better is if it was a sloppy port.

Already got it (Japanese copy on disc for PS3) and it looks pretty good. The quality of the character models is excellent but the static backgrounds are hit or miss. Some of them were completely rebuilt (George Trevors crypt with the 4 masks) while others do look like a bad upscale. Since you are an old RE fan I would skip the new control scheme and just use tank controls. PS3 version was my choice since I wanted the game on a disc, guess I'm just old fashioned :p .

I'm getting it for 360, I was going to get a One for Christmas but got a Wii-U instead, I'm glad I did too. REmake was my favorite game in the series, old school zombies, crimson heads, the best selection of BOWs, and in my opinion some of the best bosses in the series. I'm also quite interested in Revelations 2, it sounds promising from most of the early talk, and I think the co-op sounds intriguing.

I went with a plan black *New* 3DS xl. I'm a big fan of 3D, but the narrow optimum field of vision on the old model bothered me. Xenoblade also helps as well.

I think I must be the one person who passed over the special editions too. Not really a fan of game skins on consoles, like to stick with plan black on almost everything.

Yes, I'm fairly boring in real life :)

Edit: Might have come out of my shell and ordered a blue had they offered it though. It offers just enough "fun" while remaining within my threshold of boring.

Edited by Archer

So, Steam has a free weekend for Civilization: Beyond Earth. I'm kind of glad that they did. While I freely admit to having not played any of the Civs before V, I loved Civ V. I've got like 70 hours on record, and that doesn't count the hours I spent playing it in the evenings when I was in China and didn't have the internet.

So I'm trying Beyond Earth, and at first I'm thinking "Civ in space... yeah this is cool." But then I noticed that the aliens are a lot tougher than barbarians. Especially if there's a siege worm... you can shoot them from your outposts/cities with impunity, but it'll one shot any unit. While the deadly aliens thing does sort of lend itself to the colonizing space theme, it also slows the game way down. On the easiest difficulty with the fastest pace, I was 180 turns into the game and still basically in the little corner of the map where I started, with three total cities, a trade route to what's basically the BE version of a City State, a group of marines with their health in the red, and a lone worker I'm hoping won't get eaten by the siege worm that ate the other workers.

There are other changes from Civ V, some are good (I dig the quests), some not so much (upgrading units with upgrade points seems kind of cool at first, but in practice it's easier to manage in Civ), and some I'm on the fence about (Explorers, BE's version of scouts, are the only ones that can explore certain things like crash sites, which makes them a lot less useless, but means you'll have to spend resources on them, and they have to go back to cities every so often to get new expedition kits). But what I think was the most telling thing about my time with it is that after a few hours, I saved and exited out of it because I just didn't feel like playing it anymore... I felt like playing Civ V. And 200 some turns into that and I'm forcing myself to save and quit, not because I'm bored but because it's late, and I should go to bed.

TLDR: Skip BE and play Civ V instead. I'm not saying that BE is bad, but I think that the game needs some balance tweaks. Maybe check it out again after an expansion.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Already got it (Japanese copy on disc for PS3) and it looks pretty good. The quality of the character models is excellent but the static backgrounds are hit or miss. Some of them were completely rebuilt (George Trevors crypt with the 4 masks) while others do look like a bad upscale. Since you are an old RE fan I would skip the new control scheme and just use tank controls. PS3 version was my choice since I wanted the game on a disc, guess I'm just old fashioned :p .

i wish U.S. had a hard copy... i'm waiting for the 10% psn coupon sony promised to issue for the holiday downtime

Guest davidwhangchoi

i ended up getting resident evil remake on steam for 15 bucks at green man gaming. i'll prob most likely double dip being a huge re: evil fan. to tell you the truth i have my old wii setup as mikeszekely and JBO suggested (old white wii that's backwards compatible w gamecube with component cables and a wireless wavebird controller) and have all the gamecube remakes re zero and re 1 and re 4 on hand but i still brought all the re series when PSN released them as PSONE classics. don't know why, and i got re 4 hd remastered on ps3 as well as on steam and lastly code veronica hd on ps3... (btw, i got 3ds revelations and then got it on steam. as well as re5 and 6 on ps3 and steam. lol

lol, i guess i'm a sucker for resident evil double dipping.

in terms of gaming, i haven't finished re1 remake. (psone classic so many times over) i finished zero several times as well as re4 100 times but never re:1 remake. i guess it's time now.

the second game i need to finish off is eternal darkness for gamecube.

and third is resident evil 6. (it's just too boring)

So, Nintendo's killing off Club Nintendo. I have mixed feelings about this. The quality and amount of physical gifts have gone way downhill, but on the other hand, I have a huge pile of coins. Sounds like Nintendo is promising new physical gifts, and they're giving members until June to spend their coins, so at least there's that.

Guest davidwhangchoi

So, Nintendo's killing off Club Nintendo. I have mixed feelings about this. The quality and amount of physical gifts have gone way downhill, but on the other hand, I have a huge pile of coins. Sounds like Nintendo is promising new physical gifts, and they're giving members until June to spend their coins, so at least there's that.

damn, i got some coins.... need to spend it. i heard they're coming out with a new rewards system.