All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

UBISOFT chooses not to delay releases to fix bugged filled games.

but delays a patch fix to make sure it's quality :huh:

"Rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us..." -ubisoft

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/15/7395995/assassins-creed-unity-patch-4-delayed

Yeah, I kinda lost all respect for them after I saw how they "adapted" HAWX to run on the PC. And how they handled the DLC by including it on-disk, and subsequently banning any PC user who tried to bring up the fact that PC users could just install it for free with a file tweak.

I'm not sure which happened first---losing respect for Ubisoft, or deciding to never buy another game of theirs at/soon after launch. (because it'll inevitably need heavy patching, and probably be much cheaper with just a short wait).

Pay less, get version that actually works...

I'm not sure which happened first---losing respect for Ubisoft, or deciding to never buy another game of theirs at/soon after launch. (because it'll inevitably need heavy patching, and probably be much cheaper with just a short wait).

I'd say they happened around the same time since all AAA-games are coming out with release-day patches. How I missed the days of gaming where bugs were less noticeable on release day unlike these days where unfinished games come out as "finished" games.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Got an order in for the 20th Anniversary PS4 as well. Sold out in less then 5 mins. So much b******g on PlayStation Canada s Twitter about not being able to get one. :D

congrats on getting one. if you decide to put it on ebay. be careful as some guys on CAG found ebay listings w/ blocked out personal info when posting their e-mail proof of order but left their order #. what some CAG'er did was post thatyou can go put that order number in the sony website as a guest and cancel the guys order!!! It's really messed up.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

congrats on getting one. if you decide to put it on ebay. be careful as some guys on CAG found ebay listings w/ blocked out personal info when posting their e-mail proof of order but left their order #. what some CAG'er did was post thatyou can go put that order number in the sony website as a guest and cancel the guys order!!! It's really messed up.

That's hilarious.

Pay less, get version that actually works...

AC Unity is the first AC game I am skipping because of the issues. Makes me sad.

AC Unity is the first AC game I am skipping because of the issues. Makes me sad.

I picked it up anyway, and Ubisoft has made changes to the game mechanics that, in my opinion, are for the worse. So, rest easy knowing that the one you skipped is probably the worst one since the original (which, while deserving of kudos for being an interesting new IP at the time, was also mechanically deficient).

But yeah, developers really ought to take their time and do games right instead of shoveling out annual installments. The really sad thing about Unity is that Ubisoft could have delayed a whole year to polish it up and make sure it was running right if they'd pushed Rogue harder, maybe by releasing next-gen versions. The worst thing I can say about Rogue is that the gameplay was cut and paste from Black Flag, but if you're going to eschew new ideas to rush a sequel it makes sense to copy the best game in the franchise.

AC: Unity

Patch 4 Release Notes %5BUPDATED%5D

We have received and confirmed reports that some Xbox One players who have previously applied Patch 3 are seeing a 40GB download instead of the expected 6.7GB download. Unfortunately, an issue with the patch downloading process is replacing the entire game instead of just the parts affected by the patch. This is obviously not the expected behavior, and we apologize that many of you will have to wait longer than expected to complete this download. This issue isn’t causing any other problems and once the download is completed players will have the most-up-to-date and fully patched version of Assassin’s Creed Unity.

A 40GB patch "mistake" is a pretty big mistake.

I'm enjoying Assassin's Creed Rogue much more then any single part of Unity, I had high hopes for the co-op too, it was just a mess overall for me, I already got rid of it so I won't even be checking out the new update to see if they fixed this colossal, expensive f$%@ up.

Guest davidwhangchoi

been playing fry cry 4 and professor layton vs. phoenix wright and ace attorney trilogy hd on 3ds.

far cry 4:

i snuck into the back of a truck to get to the warehouse to kill paul but i'm having trouble getting spotted so i gave up for tonight.

i actually wiped out all the guards and the one dog without getting spotted to get to the truck but i couldn't get into the back of the truck. the game wouldn't let me...

i guess it's a bug. so i just died and did it again just sneaking in past the guards and not killing everyone this time.

now i'm in the warehouse:

it's dark and i'm hiding by the truck and told to free the slaves and keep getting spotted. any tips?

Edited by davidwhangchoi

My advice? don't try to kill any guards what so ever except the ones in the rooms with the slaves. Also try to stick to the rooftops and crouch alot. You'll notice a lot of the guards are drunk, high, puking, or trying to pick up chicks so they ted to be less aware. Treat this mission like a Metal Gear Solid game and you'll be okay.

Guest davidwhangchoi

My advice? don't try to kill any guards what so ever except the ones in the rooms with the slaves. Also try to stick to the rooftops and crouch alot. You'll notice a lot of the guards are drunk, high, puking, or trying to pick up chicks so they ted to be less aware. Treat this mission like a Metal Gear Solid game and you'll be okay.

just got home and i'm going to try and tackle the mission.

update:

thanks for the tips, i actually tried sneaking without killing. i think the trouble i had was i was killing people without trying to get spotted. i and did pretty well until this mission. i almost pulled it off and killed about 75% of the enemies on this mission but got spotted and then got fed up. now i realized i could've sneaked past them. lol

Edited by davidwhangchoi

What was Microsoft thinking when they made the Xbox One controllers? They feel cheap and clunky compared to the Xbox 360 controllers.

On the other hand, the PS4 controllers feel much more refined compared to both the PS3 controllers and the new Xbox One controllers.

Anybody picked up Elite: Dangerous yet?

I've gotten it this morning and finished installing it just now. Looks real pretty, and the tutorials (or places where you can screw up and it doesn't matter), are functional. Plus, it came with a profile for my X-55 built into the game.

So far, the controls are a bit "weird" for a space sim. The stick functions like an airplane control column, in that the X axis is for roll, and Y is for pitch. Yaw is handled by the Z axis (with the possibility of using rudder pedals). I'm more used to X-wing's Tie-Fighter, and Freespace's way of controlling the ship, with the Z axis being the roll.

Aim assist is kinda neat, with your visible guns gimballing slightly to help you hit your target, and lasers actually are undodgeable if your aim is true!

I have 2 days off from work, so I think I'll be zipping about the galaxy for a bit!

I should try that one, might be something to tide me over until I get Star Citizen going.

I realized something fun and interesting about the old X-wing games at some point.. they always used a combo of rolling and yawing for the default, with a button you could hold to roll.

I tried something for the luls once, and mapped that button to a toggle on my stick that I could turn on and off. It actually was a good deal more challenging to aim, and intensified the difficulty quite a bit. I had a lot of fun that way, and it seems the default AI tended to fly that way too.

I kind of wish more games had more mapping options for controls. The peripherals exist now to give a huge range of freedom in how you set up your control scheme. Extra axes and trim controls are great. :)

Edited by Chronocidal

What was Microsoft thinking when they made the Xbox One controllers? They feel cheap and clunky compared to the Xbox 360 controllers.

On the other hand, the PS4 controllers feel much more refined compared to both the PS3 controllers and the new Xbox One controllers.

Eh? That's not my experience.

The PS4 controller is more noticeably improved than the PS3's, sure, but the PS3's was a sorely dated design in dire need of an upgrade. Taken on it's own, though, the angle of the handles isn't ideal and I get wrist pains if I play too long. Plus, the L2/R2 feel flimsy.

The Xbox One controller isn't the same huge improvement over the 360 controller because the 360 controller was pretty good in the first place. The Xbox One controller is slightly more ergonomic, though, has a better dpad, and the design of the trigger and bumpers is such that I can flex part of my finger to hit the bumper without taking said finger off the trigger. I'm honestly not sure where you're getting cheaper at. Maybe because they're a little lighter?

Guest davidwhangchoi

The PS4 controller is more noticeably improved than the PS3's, Taken on it's own, though, the angle of the handles isn't ideal and I get wrist pains if I play too long. Plus, the L2/R2 feel flimsy.

The Xbox One controller isn't the same huge improvement over the 360 controller because the 360 controller was pretty good in the first place. The Xbox One controller is slightly more ergonomic, though, has a better dpad, and the design of the trigger and bumpers is such that I can flex part of my finger to hit the bumper without taking said finger off the trigger. I'm honestly not sure where you're getting cheaper at. Maybe because they're a little lighter?

it's just the opposite, i feel with the ps4 controller i can play for hours and not feel any cramps or pain. the xone controller i love as well but i guess my fingers get cramped when i play side scrollers shoot em ups or top down shooters. i notice when i constantly press the A button it doesn't feel comfortable. the analogs and the digital pad are really really great, respond well and feel amazing. the digi pad is a bit too far offset to the right that i get uncomfortable unless i lift my index fingers off the triggers and use the middle fingers on the trigger while placing the index finders on the bumpers to give me more reach to the digipad. however, it's my pc game pad and love it.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

played the Halo 5 Multi beta over the weekend, Still retains that Halo feel but I also feel alot of Battlefield/CoD influences. Maybe the whole FPS genre is becoming too samey.

Still, it'll be a great competitive game as all Halos have been. I usually just play campaign anyway so multi doesnt concern me much.

Guest davidwhangchoi

After you liberate your first outpost, when you come out of the fast travel room, walk around the building then east along the road, up the hill and outside the outpost. Where the road starts to turn north, there's a tree or a utility pole, and there's always a buzzer there. If you lose it, you can always fast travel back and grab a new one.

Later, when you unlock the Ghale homestead, you can buy a buzzer that will always appear there, too.

Trees will damage the buzzer, but buildings oddly enough don't. So it's possible to fly the buzzer to most of the belltowers, then carefully fly into and land on the floor where the radio transmitter is.

I actually finished the game over the weekend. Took me about 42 hours. I'll admit that near the end I was starting to side stuff. I did all the belltowers, outposts, fortresses, Hurk missions, Longinus missions, Kyrat Fashion Week missions, hostage missions, bomb disposals, revenge quests, and assassinations. I missed at least on Yogi mission, skipped a few hijacks and supply drops, and didn't bother trying to find all the collectibles.

I did all the Shangri-La missions, but the Rakshasa was just frustrating me, so I quit the mission.

I'm kind of curious about how many possible endings there are. Spoilers for anyone who hasn't finished.

I know about the one, where at the beginning you don't leave the table and wait for Pagan Min to come back. But there seem to be choices in the game. During the Golden Path missions, I sided with Amita (hey, she's kinda hot), but I didn't shoot Sabal. When I raided the royal palace, I didn't shoot Pagan Min at the table, but after I put mom's ashes at the shrine I shot down Pagan's helicopter, since I had a grenade launcher on me. I know siding with Sabal results in different missions than siding with Amita, but I'm not sure how much that affects the game's ultimate outcome, or how things are different if I shot Sabal, shot Pagan at dinner, or let the chopper leave.

finished Far Cry 4 for the first time christmas eve.

Mike, did you play it again and find the multiple endings? i'm wondering that myself now...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

finished Far Cry 4 for the first time christmas eve.

Mike, did you play it again and find the multiple endings? i'm wondering myself that myself now...

Nope. Too many other games that need played. And there's too many variables that may or may not affect the outcome. Maybe if I knew for sure how many of them really matter, if any. But there's

The obvious one, whether you side with Amita or Sabal. Given the choice, I always went with Amita.

Eventually, Amita asked me to kill Sabal. I went to where he was at, but let him leave.

When confronting Pagan Min at the end, you can kill him right away, or follow him. I followed him.

After leaving Ajay's mom's ashes, when exiting the shrine, Pagan's getting onto a chopper. It seems likely that it will quickly fly away if you do nothing. I shot it with a grenade launcher.

The developers have hinted that there's more than two endings (including the one that happens if you never leave the table at the beginning), but I never did follow up on any details.

Still, I'm going to say Game of the Year for me. The only two 2014 releases that I haven't played but really want to are Beyond Earth, Bayonetta 2 and Gundam Breaker 2, and while I will likely spend untold hours with GB2, I don't think any of those will surpass Far Cry 4. The other big games I'd hoped would be in the running, Dragon Age Inquisition and Assassin's Creed Unity, wound up being really disappointing. Even if Unity wasn't broken at release, I feel like the gameplay was just a huge step backward. As for Dragon Age, people are talking about it like it's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm just not getting that. I'd heard that the PC version has issues, and that's what I'm playing on, so maybe it's better on consoles? But it just seems like, instead of being filled with interesting side quests the way most Bioware games are, it's just filled with "zones" where you're stuck doing boring MMO-ish junk to get the necessary Power to unlock more story content.

Oh, yeah, there was a lot of hype about Shadows of Mordor, too. I think it had some interesting ideas, but a lot of people seem so caught up in those ideas that they seem willing to overlook the fact that, in my opinion at least, that their Nemesis system seems to allow for broken invincible orcs and can damn you with never-ending swarms of grunts. I honestly couldn't even be bothered to finish it.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Nope. Too many other games that need played. And there's too many variables that may or may not affect the outcome. Maybe if I knew for sure how many of them really matter, if any. But there's

The obvious one, whether you side with Amita or Sabal. Given the choice, I always went with Amita.

Eventually, Amita asked me to kill Sabal. I went to where he was at, but let him leave.

When confronting Pagan Min at the end, you can kill him right away, or follow him. I followed him.

After leaving Ajay's mom's ashes, when exiting the shrine, Pagan's getting onto a chopper. It seems likely that it will quickly fly away if you do nothing. I shot it with a grenade launcher.

at each crossroads

i went with Sabal with the first choice.

then Anita, then Sabal

then finally Anita.

i let Sabal live

and Pagan Min live and let the chopper get away.

(oh i also let chose not to shoot the arena chick)

i gotta try the beginning and letting pagan come back to the table.

thanks Mike!

The question I have for Farcry 4 is after I unlocked the northern part of the country can I just use a buzzer to find the place where mom wanted her ashes dumped, do it then go the f*** home?

Why bother, just start a new game and let it play out. You don't even need to touch the controller till you get off the chopper; the wait ending is the best ending in far cry 4.