All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Guest davidwhangchoi

ahh, i see.. but it's a classic. how bout, sidearms does that count? (loosely based off macross)

or metal storm for nes.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

ahh, i see.. but it's a classic. how bout, sidearms does that count? (loosely based off macross)

or metal storm for nes.

got em already along with metal mech, formation z, final zone, xardion, battleclash, metal combat, and vortex.

what are some good mech games from the 32-64 bit era aside from omega boost, armored core, and virtual on?

alright guys I'm working on my video game mech panel for animeboston, and want to know if there's any video games you think are good, classics, guilty pleasures, or ground breaking that I should include.

How wide-ranging are you going?

Is anything at all fair game?

Because really, Robot Alchemic Drive on the PS2 is where it's at. Full-on Tetsujin RC power.

Or Steel Battalion on XBox, if you want REALISM.

The Armored Core series deserves some attention as well.

And swinging back to the other end of the spectrum... the NES has a game called Metal Storm.

In fairness, I think you may control powered armor instead of a giant robot. But that's a moot point. The most important thing is the game is awesome and lets you control gravity. You can walk on the ceiling, and you can do so AT WILL.

Also, Capcom's Armored Warriors brawler and Cyberbots vs fighter. Both arcade games, both pretty cool.

The Saturn version of Cyberbots even has a giant robot version of Street Fighter's Akuma. Tell me that isn't awesome.

I dont recall which system it was on (360?), but when you get to that generation, you should take a look at Metal Wolf Chaos, if you havent already. Would probably fall under the guilty pleasure category, since it's a ridiculous cheesefest that was so full of over-the-top Americanism, it was never even imported from Japan. :lol:

Edited by Chronocidal

I dont recall which system it was on (360?), but when you get to that generation, you should take a look at Metal Wolf Chaos, if you havent already. Would probably fall under the guilty pleasure category, since it's a ridiculous cheesefest that was so full of over-the-top Americanism, it was never even imported from Japan. :lol:

It was for the original xbox, and I think the reason it was never imported was the enemies were mostly US soldiers just following the Vice president not evil henchmen. I think companies might have been worried about that not sitting well.

Anyways hows this for a hidden gem, Ring Of Red? A mecha tactical rpg set in an alternate 1950s Japan that was split between the soviets and americans. I liked the fact it account for combined arms with infantry supporting the mechs, but the battles took forever with the aiming mechanic. :)

how bout metal gear? does that count :lol:

I actually am going to address this at the begining of the panel, and the answer is no. There are so many games out there I had to narrow down the criteria to mecha with pilots, no robots or cyborgs, and focus of the majority of the game needs to be on mecha combat. games that have mecha for one or two levels, or like the mgs games that mostly have mecha in the background or as bosses I decided to cut.

Does that make any sense?

Guest davidwhangchoi

I actually am going to address this at the begining of the panel, and the answer is no. There are so many games out there I had to narrow down the criteria to mecha with pilots, no robots or cyborgs, and focus of the majority of the game needs to be on mecha combat. games that have mecha for one or two levels, or like the mgs games that mostly have mecha in the background or as bosses I decided to cut.

Does that make any sense?

yeah, i figured just throwing out remote stuff.

alright guys I'm working on my video game mech panel for animeboston, and want to know if there's any video games you think are good, classics, guilty pleasures, or ground breaking that I should include.

what I got so far.

assault suits series

metal warriors

battletech games

first macross game and scrambled valk

first gundam game

front mission

thexder

musha aleste

Classics: mechwarrior series, armoured core, xenogears

Guilty pleasure: Gundam breaker

Oh, here's one!

Sega's arcade tour de farce(sic) Astro Flash, AKA Transformer*. Where you fly a jet that turns into a robot when you press a button.

Perhaps more importantly, note their later Genesis cartridge Arrow Flash, which is a much better version of the same thing. In that my recollection of Astro Flash is mostly "this kinda sucks", but I found Arrow Flash to be pretty fun.

*Please note the LEGALLY DISTINCT singular form. Trademark law at it's finest.**

**But not legally distinct enough, apparently. The home version's title "transformed" into TransBot.

Edited by JB0

Guest davidwhangchoi

Oh, here's one!

Sega's arcade tour de farce(sic) Astro Flash, AKA Transformer*. Where you fly a jet that turns into a robot when you press a button.

Perhaps more importantly, note their later Genesis cartridge Arrow Flash, which is a much better version of the same thing. In that my recollection of Astro Flash is mostly "this kinda sucks", but I found Arrow Flash to be pretty fun.

*Please note the LEGALLY DISTINCT singular form. Trademark law at it's finest.**

**But not legally distinct enough, apparently. The home version's title "transformed" into TransBot.

i was trying to think of the name i remember that's the only master system card i liked.

it even had a regult looking at-st walker

To each his own, and I honestly hope you guys like it, but I think the fastest way for me to lose interest in a game is to slap Final Fantasy in the title. I loved the ones on the NES and SNES, and I liked the ones on the original PlayStation, but the last one I finished was X. Every Final Fantasy I've played since (that wasn't an awesome re-release, like the Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection on PSP) has ranged from "meh" to "this game is so awful I can't fathom how it got released in the first place).

I'm in the same boat, actually. X was the last one I cared to complete complete. You remember IX (that one with the monkey boy)? That was the shark jump for me. Then XII (that one with the hot cat-chick and the 'gambit system' and licenses) seemed like a good step forward, but not a big enough one.

I'm hoping that type 0 and xv revitalize the franchise. =)

Hard to get too excited. Iwata says they're not going to talk about NX until next year. If they do an E3-style reveal, it'll probably be another year out after that before release. That would give the Wii U a five year life cycle, which I'd have expected even if they hadn't casually tossed this out there this morning. (Assuming it is the Wii U's replacement, which seems likely given that they just refreshed their handheld.)

I'm considering getting a wii u just to play Monolith's xenoblade chronicles x, which some consider to be directly linked to xenogears. Don't even want to think about whether they'll remaster it for nx when that rolls out.

Also, ign livestreamed the ff xv demo gameplay earlier. Didn't catch most of it but from what I saw, a lot of references were made to ff vi (the one with Locke the thief), including the first summon demigod - Ramuh (?). Can't wait to get mine!!!

Edit: just picked up ff type 0 from the post office!!!

Edited by McFly!!

Man I really wanted to. Doing my taxes. Just took a quick break.

I did check the stuff though. Bummed out because my copy of the manga had 3 pages with half-inch tears. Sent square enix's pepita store an email and posted a pic on twitter. Dl'd the demo for ff xv already, I think it's still not done though. Art book looks ok but a bit small and it's not even faux leather bound, so also disappointing for the price. Other extras are the cards of the eidolons/summon creatures. I'm keeping those sealed in the bag. Bottom one's Ifrit, same pic as in the art book. Soundtrack audio cd looks interesting. I'll check it out if any tracks stand out during gameplay.

Hmm... Coming up for air used to be a different sort of thing entirely.

Mixed feelings after 2 chapters of ff type-0 hd. Generally and tentatively:

Story 7/10 nothing really new here, just typical 'warring states'; some early clues on possible plot twists and layers of mysteries

Graphics 8/10 sharp and no pop ups or clipping; black loading screens between major areas though

Character design 8/10 lots of homages to previous characters, seifer, cid, auron, as well as common stereotypes (ok but not wow mech design so far)

Character development 8/10 may improve as the upgrade trees diverge further later on; fairly basic menu-driven ap distribution/allocation scheme to learn abilities and magic; upgrading magic spells is more detailed using parameters like power, mp cost, casting time, etc (differs per spell; also uses a different pool of points)

Gameplay 8/10 definitely promising with more active battle control of the party leader, feels like Vagrant Story with camera angles that can hamstring you sometimes (lock on to your target!); missions can be replayed independently (outside of the storyline) from the main menu, and difficulty settings can be set for each mission (also true following the storyline).

The initial areas feel a lot like Squall's academy in VIII, complete with the kid running around the paths lol.

Very interesting and well worth playing. I kinda miss the 'getting the band together' phase, since you start with a big team.

Will play on!

Guest davidwhangchoi

cool, thanks for your impressions. im still just playing my 3ds and old ds games on it, currently playing/reading novel jake hunter: memories of the past. sorta a good read.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i was grabbing some snacks and saw this, and took it with an amiibo:

FullSizeRender%203_zpsv1ldvk5y.jpgIMG_2014_zps6quuhr59.jpg

it has 100% vitamin C :p

anyways, bestbuy just shipped my copy of BloodBorne, pretty excited to finally play a new gome on my PS4 which i haven't used for a while.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

cool, thanks for your impressions. im still just playing my 3ds and old ds games on it, currently playing/reading novel jake hunter: memories of the past. sorta a good read.

Lol. I just found out that it's a remastered psp game. XD all the info you need is up on ign or wikia.

For any PS3/4/psp owners, Playstation is having a flash sale, all games on the list for under $1

some really good titles:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/343632-psn-flash-sale-ends-323-11-am-pt2-pm-et-095-ps4ps3vitaps1ps2psp-games/

Thanks for the heads up! I grabbed a couple PSOne games. And Katamari Damacy.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I got for psone breath of fire IV for 96 cents

megaman x4

megaman x5

ps2 Katamari Damacy

ps3 echochrome : it's a nice puzzle game

and for ps4 Home: a unique horror adventure

and got a gold mario amiibo shipped from walmart

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Has anyone else been following Sword Coast Legends? It's a new PC RPG, based on Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition rules. Some of the guys working on it worked on Dragon Age: Origins, and the developers are promising a DM Mode. It's really, really looking like a modern Neverwinter Nights, which is one of my all time favorites.

I suppose that depends on how much you want the ability to play most Vita games on a large screen.

It's really fixing a problem that should never have existed, given (most revisions of) the PSP had TV-out, and the Vita had more than enough IO pins for a mini-HDMI connector.

I'm planning to get a PS Vita TV, is it worth it ?

Not really. Too few Vita games, fewer of which play on the Vita TV, expensive proprietary memory cards, no support for popular streaming video services (even if they work on regular Vita), PS4 streaming is laggy. I bought one and I regret it.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Hmmmmmmmm..... Thanks for your feedback.

Not really. Too few Vita games, fewer of which play on the Vita TV, expensive proprietary memory cards, no support for popular streaming video services (even if they work on regular Vita), PS4 streaming is laggy. I bought one and I regret it.

i heard a lot of complaints but if set up hard wired i heard it's pretty good at streaming a ps4 to a second tv. i was thinking of getting one for 50 when amazon had them on sale.

i think that's a good price point.

and there's was an update to stream vita games to 1080i now.

here's the reviews from amazon basically what mike s. said:

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-TV-vita/product-reviews/B00KVMHSUM/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

i heard a lot of complaints but if set up hard wired i heard it's pretty good at streaming a ps4 to a second tv.

I wonder for how many people that's practical for, though? My cable comes in my basement and up through the floor into the living room, so that's where I put my modem and router (especially because I wanted to keep my consoles wired). My bedroom, where I figured I'd put the Vita TV, literally couldn't be further from the router. If I wanted to wire it, I'd need 100' of ethernet cable and either run it across the living room, down the hall, and around my bedroom, tear up the floorboards and run the cables under the floor, or drill all the way through the floor and run the cables along the basement ceiling... all of which would be way more difficult than just taking the PS4 out of the entertainment center and hooking it up in my bedroom when I really want to play there.

Honestly, though, it really comes down to the game. Action games don't fare well. NHL 15 was laggy, the timing was just off for Assassin's Creed, and somehow going to Vita flipped the the buttons so that pressing R2 on the Vita TV gave you the R1 button's functions (and vice versa, and same for the Ls) on Sleeping Dogs, even though I was using a PS4 controller on the Vita TV. But I probably spent the most time on my Vita TV playing streaming Diablo III, which worked wonderfully.

And it's not like there aren't any good games for the Vita. Persona 4 Golden alone makes a strong case for the system (although, if you have a PS3, you could always buy the PS2 classic non-Golden version).

Thing is, even if you get the Vita TV on sale cheap, you're still looking at a memory card, which is currently around $40 for a 16GB that will still fill up too fast. And unless you like re-syncing your controller between consoles, you may want a controller just for it, which makes the bundle seem like a good deal except that it comes with a PS3 controller, and if you want to get the simulated touch screen features you'll want a PS4 controller. And you still have to deal with the fact that games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, WipeOut 2048, and Gravity Rush aren't Vita TV compatible anyway. And, for US customers anyway, none of the big streaming services like Netflix, Hulu+, or Amazon Instant Video, even though they work on the regular Vita.

Bottom line, when Sony first started marketing the thing, it seemed like a Roku/Apple TV competitor that happened to play some Vita games, and what we actually got was a half-assed home console version of a handheld Sony barely supports in the first place. When I think of how few Vita-exclusive games there are, and how some of my favorite Vita-exclusives don't even work on the Vita TV, I can't help but suggest that your money would be better-spent on literally almost anything else.