The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

o come on.. MP Jetfire please

Hah..yeah right. I doubt that will ever come to fruition, and the recent Leader Class Jetfire will likely be the closest we ever get to a Skyfire fig. A custom painted 1/48 Yamato VF-1S is your best bet for a MP style Jetfire.

So the Inferno rumor proved true, with Grapple to follow shortly, no doubt. While I'll likely get one of the two, I'm meh about this mold. Jazz and Hound are two glaring omissions in this line. I guess they're going for characters whose mold was reused in order to recoup costs.

I'm will stick to my Backdraft order. In short MMC just offers more of what I'm looking for in my collection. In addition Backdraft fits better into my MP collection prior to Ironhide. My full thoughts can be found here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1065406-takaratomy-tease-masterpiece-inferno-75.html#post13578876

[edit:] UW Bruticus looks dope:

UW-Combaticons-01.jpg

I hope PE releases some color coded feet for this Bruticus.

Edited by Scyla

I talked about this before, when color pics were first released, but I'll summarize again.

-I could go either way on Swindle.

-I prefer UW Vortex.

-I prefer UW Blast Off by virtue of him being a shuttle.

-I like CW Brawl's head better.

-I like UW Onslaught better, but...

-The Blast Off-colored chest shield isn't working for me at all.

I'd preordered this set, pretty much just for Blast Off and Vortex, but canceled it when I decided to go all 3P for combiners.

I'm will stick to my Backdraft order. In short MMC just offers more of what I'm looking for in my collection. In addition Backdraft fits better into my MP collection prior to Ironhide. My full thoughts can be found here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1065406-takaratomy-tease-masterpiece-inferno-75.html#post13578876

<smip>

I agree with your points, Scyla, vis-a-vis comparing MMC's Backdraft to Takara's Inferno prototype. I like the details built into MMC's version and how they have more nods to the toy. The one thing that makes me ever curious about Takara's official Inferno is the ladder. I want to see how they pull off that part of the design.

The thing about some of the recent MPs is that Takara is getting kind of slavish to the animation models, which IMHO isn't always a good thing. The animation models were extremely simplified, hence the very plain-looking legs and arms on Inferno and the legs on Ratchet and Ironhide. It's hard to explain, but I think older MPs did a better job of looking less like 3D models of the cartoon and more like dynamic, detailed robots whose appearance was simplified for animation.

So, long story short, if I were in the market for an MP Inferno, I'd be in the Backdraft camp. In addition to having more detail, I feel like MMC is the only one that nailed the fact that Inferno was a little thinner in the cartoon. TT's has similar proportions to the MakeToys one, and I think that chunkier look makes for a better Grapple. Which, again due to lack of detail, means I'd probably go with the MakeToys Grapple.

What episode was Takara watching, where BlastOff was ORANGE?!?!

tf_rotf00211-31338-1024-1024-80-wm-left_

He's a pretty consistent dark olive-brown, both toy and toon. Yet almost every figure afterwards (FoC, Warbotron) seems to ret-con his colors into some sort of bright rust color---which then makes him the "bright" member of the team, with very much clashes with the overall dull military coloring of the team.

I am really sick of BlastOff being the totally wrong color.

::edit:: You know, he's actually really close to toy Swindle's color:

IMG_2375.JPG

BlastOff is not Swindle, Takara!

(Swindle's color does depend on reference, but is consistent---mustard-yellow in the toon, a rusty-orange toy---but BlastOff was never either one!)

I agree with your points, Scyla, vis-a-vis comparing MMC's Backdraft to Takara's Inferno prototype. I like the details built into MMC's version and how they have more nods to the toy. The one thing that makes me ever curious about Takara's official Inferno is the ladder. I want to see how they pull off that part of the design.

One popular theory is that the ladder is folded inside his chest. I personally think that the ladder was just too difficult to 3D print so they omitted it on the prototype.

The thing about some of the recent MPs is that Takara is getting kind of slavish to the animation models, which IMHO isn't always a good thing. The animation models were extremely simplified, hence the very plain-looking legs and arms on Inferno and the legs on Ratchet and Ironhide. It's hard to explain, but I think older MPs did a better job of looking less like 3D models of the cartoon and more like dynamic, detailed robots whose appearance was simplified for animation.

So, long story short, if I were in the market for an MP Inferno, I'd be in the Backdraft camp. In addition to having more detail, I feel like MMC is the only one that nailed the fact that Inferno was a little thinner in the cartoon. TT's has similar proportions to the MakeToys one, and I think that chunkier look makes for a better Grapple. Which, again due to lack of detail, means I'd probably go with the MakeToys Grapple.

My biggest problem with the new style is that it is inconsistent with the rest of the Masterpieces. I want the new bots fit right in with the other robots on my shelf. It is also inconsistent in the toy itself. Inferno and Ironhide both have highly detailed chests because that are parts of a real life vehicle but the rest of the toy has the stylized cartoon look going for it which is really glaring to me. Especially since MP Ironhide would benefited from a fake, cartoon accurate chest since it would removed the beer belly.

They also trying to rewrite the past with the new MP Red Alert that tries to hide car details with paint to make it more cartoon accurate. I think it is save to assume that we will get more releases like that. Maybe I should start my MP collection all over again. I hope MMC is still sticking to Hasuis vision of the Masterpiece line. I think the Ox designs are well fitted for that style.

Ironhide is a great toy with a stunning transformation but it just doesn't fit well into the other Masterpieces, I've checked today. There is stuff I like with Inferno. The fact that the front wheels fold backwards is a boon to the toys silhouette.

Since I value consistency that highly the Masterpiece line is really a roller coaster ride ever since the MP Bumble release. MP Magnus is unfinished. MP Star Saber is lacking in fit and finish, MP Tracks terrible from the waist up, MP Ironhide too cartoon accurate legs and a beer belly, MP Rodimus doesn't hold well together in car mode, MP Shockwave no paint and no painted faction symbol (I hope the Ocean decals can fix that but I'm not sure applying them over the seam through the forearms). No release was without one major flaw to me which is sad.

It is probably the best just to stop collecting the MP line, selling the ones I have and stocking up on Reformatted toys. ^_^

Inferno's ladder is either absent there, or folds up rather ingeniously (but almost certainly in a way that makes it very floppy/misaligned in truck mode). I mean, it's basically a "U" in cross-section, just fold down the sides onto the bottom to make it flat, then fold it up the other direction 2 or 3 times, and you've got a little pad/cube of plastic. It's just that all those hinges, on something that's open/lattice/rectangular, would cause issues when unfolded.

He's smarter and more articulate than Menasor, Superion, or Abominus.

I think Mike was commenting more on the quality of the artwork in the animation than the character.

And remember, kids, this is what Takara is going for in MPs now.

Well, I just snapped the hinge of my MP Wheeljack's left wing. He just did NOT want to transform today. Couldn't figure out what was wrong, even got the instructions out (I just transformed him a few weeks ago, it's not like it's been a year or something and I forgot). Looking closely, I think that one is mis-molded or something. Also, it's impossible to remove the pin to attempt a true repair. I'm going to sand a lot, then Future a lot, and hope it's workable.

Well, I just snapped the hinge of my MP Wheeljack's left wing. He just did NOT want to transform today. Couldn't figure out what was wrong, even got the instructions out (I just transformed him a few weeks ago, it's not like it's been a year or something and I forgot). Looking closely, I think that one is mis-molded or something. Also, it's impossible to remove the pin to attempt a true repair. I'm going to sand a lot, then Future a lot, and hope it's workable.

I know what you mean. I had the same problem when I attempted to transform Wheeljack a few weeks back. I was scared to a point where I put him aside again in fear of breaking him.

I think Mike was commenting more on the quality of the artwork in the animation than the character.

And remember, kids, this is what Takara is going for in MPs now.

While in between jobs a few years back, I had a chance to watch the G1 cartoon. I only caught bits and pieces of it as a kid---I was more a fan of the toys. And...I learned an important lesson: some memories should stay in the past.

Really, for adult me, the old toon doesn't stand up well at all. I may get a lot of superfan hate for that opinion, but the only episodes I can really stomach on nostalgia alone are the first few where everyone gets from Cybertron to Earth. After that... *shivers*

Why Takara is chasing the audience that prefers toon accuracy instead of making MP toys that appeal to a wider base is confusing to me, but if it works then more power to them. I'm already buying more 3P releases than official ones. If Takara insists on low detail MP bots that will make it easier for me to go 3P exclusive too.

I'm waiting to see what's the size on Inferno, since I think the MMC Backdraft may be a tad small, no? I do agree with more tech and less simplification. Takara, fix this please.

Don't get me wrong I love Ironhide and Ratchet, but this is due to their original toys being ridiculously different and meant specifically for diaclone.

TAKARA-TOMY: I don't own any 3p toys. Do you want this to change?

Edited by vlenhoff

While in between jobs a few years back, I had a chance to watch the G1 cartoon. I only caught bits and pieces of it as a kid---I was more a fan of the toys. And...I learned an important lesson: some memories should stay in the past.

Really, for adult me, the old toon doesn't stand up well at all. I may get a lot of superfan hate for that opinion, but the only episodes I can really stomach on nostalgia alone are the first few where everyone gets from Cybertron to Earth. After that... *shivers*

Why Takara is chasing the audience that prefers toon accuracy instead of making MP toys that appeal to a wider base is confusing to me, but if it works then more power to them. I'm already buying more 3P releases than official ones. If Takara insists on low detail MP bots that will make it easier for me to go 3P exclusive too.

Heh you aren't alone, the only episodes of the original series I could recommend to a new fan or an old fan trying to get back into the series would be the first three. I love Transformers as much as the next guy but the G1 series is pretty bad, it takes a lot of determination to get through all four seasons and come out sane. Now the 86 movie, well I could probably watch that everyday and not get tired of it.

The reason Takara is making things so G1 toy/toon accurate is because that's what the fans with the money want. Sticking to G1 means you get a large number of buyers in Asia and the US, they took a chance with Star Saber and I don't recall him selling so quick. I guess we will see what happens after MP Primal is released, maybe he will sell well enough for Takara to take more chances.

Heh you aren't alone, the only episodes of the original series I could recommend to a new fan or an old fan trying to get back into the series would be the first three. I love Transformers as much as the next guy but the G1 series is pretty bad, it takes a lot of determination to get through all four seasons and come out sane. Now the 86 movie, well I could probably watch that everyday and not get tired of it.

The reason Takara is making things so G1 toy/toon accurate is because that's what the fans with the money want. Sticking to G1 means you get a large number of buyers in Asia and the US, they took a chance with Star Saber and I don't recall him selling so quick. I guess we will see what happens after MP Primal is released, maybe he will sell well enough for Takara to take more chances.

Yeah. I don't mind watching the '86 movie either, even though I think Optimus got a raw deal. Because it's a movie, it had more freedom in characterizing and showing the Decepticons as ruthless. I know that most of the movie scenes would have probably been censored in some fashion during the 1980s afternoon cartoon block. Thinking about that now brings back visions of GI Joe, and the ridiculous lengths thjat show and others went to avoid on-screen "death." How many characters had the awareness and invulnerability of superheros and could jump out of an exploding tank or dodge automatic gunfire from an attack helicopter?

Oh well, as a kid I didn't worry about it.

I'm in a slightly different camp than the rest of you, as I enjoy the first season in its entirety. The ep where they go to Mexico and Megatron is tapping the core energy was, IMHO, the worst out of that whole season. But on the whole, I think it maintained a consistent tone, it introduced a lot of side characters like the Insecticons, Dinobots, and Constructicons, and Skyfire, and there a few notable eps with a more mature/serious tone. Come second season, all bets were off, and in the producers' efforts to introduce new characters/toys and meet syndication criteria, the writers were given a lot of license to pretty much do whatever they wanted. The show devolved into absolute tripe at that point, at least to me. I still enjoy watching the first season; that and the '86 movie are all I own of G1. Post movie eps were so incredibly terrible- I absolutely hate what they did with Galvatron's character, both the writing and Frank Welker's voice for him. I guess they couldn't find anyone to do a decent Leonard Nimoy impression.

Technoblue- your observation concerning no-death, hell, no-blood policies always raised an eyebrow with me when I watched those shows. I was about 12 when those shows started airing consistently. Having watched Speed Racer and Battle of the Planets as a wee lad, American shows were lame comparatively. I remember being shocked when Serpentor speared Duke and there was actually blood in that scene (GI Joe the Movie, I believe). Initially, I guess the producers were going to kill him off, but decided against it for some reason. Prob because of all the backlash they got when they killed off Prime in the movie. :lol:

But as it relates to the toys, I'm in agreement that TT are becoming too slavish to the animation models, and the MP toys are becoming less and less detailed as a result. And it certainly becomes evident when 3rd parties are stepping up and producing their own much more detailed versions, albeit at a steeper price point. While I like having the official toys, if I had more cash flow, I'd probably double dip on some characters with 3P releases. I think the official toys will hold their value longer, though.

Post movie eps were so incredibly terrible- I absolutely hate what they did with Galvatron's character, both the writing and Frank Welker's voice for him. I guess they couldn't find anyone to do a decent Leonard Nimoy impression.

Wha? As a kid, I never liked the third season because Rodimus < Optimus, and like the rest of the seasons it had its share of bad episodes. But as an adult, a lot of the third season had darker, more mature themes and was more sci-fi. Even what they did with Galvatron had reasoning behind it (brain damage that lead to insanity), they devoted a whole episode to it where Cyclonus tries to get Galvatron cured (Webworld), and Galvatron's madness does a lot more to explain the Decepticons constant failures than Megatron's schemes constantly backfiring.

Wha? As a kid, I never liked the third season because Rodimus < Optimus, and like the rest of the seasons it had its share of bad episodes. But as an adult, a lot of the third season had darker, more mature themes and was more sci-fi. Even what they did with Galvatron had reasoning behind it (brain damage that lead to insanity), they devoted a whole episode to it where Cyclonus tries to get Galvatron cured (Webworld), and Galvatron's madness does a lot more to explain the Decepticons constant failures than Megatron's schemes constantly backfiring.

Huh. IMO, the brain damage trope made toon Galvatron more contrived. I think season three did break a lot of rules that were established in the film. Galavtron became a raving lunatic instead of a clever mastermind. Rodimus became a wishy-washy anti-hero who didn't want the matrix instead of Optimus's chosen one.

Also, I wasn't a fan of Webworld. To me, the whole curing Galvatron thing, which seems important in the beginning (and could have made for an interesting two-parter), quickly takes a back seat as Galvatron goes on to destroy everything around him. The whole episode was a story about mayhem for mayhem's sake. In the end, it didn't really add anything to Galvatron's character and it didn't really add anything to the main story either. It was poor filler.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i liked octane's traitor episodes

Guest davidwhangchoi

WD2UCtT.jpg

OD7O1Rt.gif

where's mp galvatron?

He's smarter and more articulate than Menasor, Superion, or Abominus.

Edited by davidwhangchoi