The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Magnus was put through the wringer on release day by some members here, including myself. I don't think he gets a free pass. For me, MP-22 marks when Takara made its deep dive into strict cartoon accuracy. Some may be shouting for joy now, but it has left me skeptical of all MPs. I now wait for in-hand reviews before buying. Before, it was easier for me to jump in on a release.

I would list Tracks as the weakest carbot release. I don't have all of them, though, so keep that in mind. Of those that I do have, I think the Datsun and Lambo bots are the best, and Ironhide and Bee rank average. Tracks has a good looking car mode. The Corvette is ruined slightly by the bonnet (hood) gimmick that mirrors that one scene in the cartoon. I would have been happier if Takara left it off the toy. Moreso, I could have forgiven that bad gimmick if Tracks had a good robot mode. Alas, that mode is loose and does not tab together well.

Magnus was put through the wringer on release day by some members here, including myself. I don't think he gets a free pass. For me, MP-22 marks when Takara made its deep dive into strict cartoon accuracy. Some may be shouting for joy now, but it has left me skeptical of all MPs. I now wait for in-hand reviews before buying. Before, it was easier for me to jump in on a release.

I would list Tracks as the weakest carbot release. I don't have all of them, though, so keep that in mind. Of those that I do have, I think the Datsun and Lambo bots are the best, and Ironhide and Bee rank average. Tracks has a good looking car mode. The Corvette is ruined slightly by the bonnet (hood) gimmick that mirrors that one scene in the cartoon. I would have been happier if Takara left it off the toy. Moreso, I could have forgiven that bad gimmick if Tracks had a good robot mode. Alas, that mode is loose and does not tab together well.

I agree with you that with MP Magnus Masterpiece Transformers took the wrong term. From MP-10 upwards to MP-21 (with the exception of the Seeker reuse) they where great toys. Since MP-22 I have mixed feelings about them. None of the releases where stellar in my eyes. I thought Laserwave would be a turning point but it seems like it doesn't cater to my linkings.

That said while I'm highly critical of many of the design decisions Takara took on Magnus it has still an exciting transformation that is mind boggling in many aspects to me even today especially when you take into consideration how you can transform him with ease. It is something to behold.

Tracks on the other hand is all sorts of terrible. The head doesn't lock into place it just floats on top of his platform. The ratchets in the arms doesn't allow for a natural stance. The leg ratchets are loose and need to be fixed by the collector. And the backpack.... ...well at first it resists any attempts to make it look acceptable and secondly it looks nothing like his collar in the cartoon which is weird because Takara seems to be all over cartoon accuracy now. Maybe it is the same issue with Ironhides chest. In the mind of the designer Tracks has the back of the car as a high up backpack so thats where it is now. The same goes for Ironhides belly. Tracks has some strong points but they are all bellow his waist. Leg transformation is creative and the paint job of the car looks superb.

If you get him for cheap than it might be worth a try but the MP line can be so much more. Bumble would be a good example for this. If they could implemented a hand transformation similar to the seeker design he wouldn't have hallow forearms and be pretty much perfect (well maybe add another layer of yellow paint). You can probably get G2 Goldbug pretty cheap as well if you want to check the Masterpiece line out.

The MP releases after 21 just feel unfinished to me. Like they need 1-2 more design passes and a guy that keeps them consistent with the rest of the line. And Primal doesn't to anything for me. Oh well more funds for Valkyries and Gundams.

Quick question. MP Laserwave feels like a Yuki design to me. The lack of almost any paint reminds me of MP Star Saber and the stickers. Oh man I almost could understand the inclusion but the thoughts are so twisted that I get a headache thinking about how they came to be. ^_^

I went out and bought Ironhide. It's true, he does look better in person. Thanks to everyone for your inputs!

My only gripe as of now is that his van mode looks really out of scale with Hot Rod. But no biggie. These aren't Macross valkyries after all.

BTW, did anyone raise the concern on why Hot Rod's tech specs were so high? He's just 4 points off from a perfect score, lacking only in Speed and Courage. He doesn't deserve those stats. As of now he's like Optimus Prime and Star Saber, and not even in his Rodimus Prime mode yet.

Edited by ArchieNov

Sorry, one more question guys. I've found an excuse to repurchase MP-10. I'm thinking of getting the Hasbro version because I like the way the eyes look compared to the Takara one I used to own. However, when I watched one of the reviews on youtube, they mentioned that the joints on the Hasbro are looser than the Takara. Is this true? If it is, that might actually be a deal breaker for me because I don't want to deal with floppy joints.

In case it helps, I've got a first run MP-10 Hasbro version, and the only loose joint is the trigger finger. I had it on display continually since I got it (found it wild at a TRU, believe it or not) up til about last January, and even put it in crazy/unusual static poses for days at a time.

My experience falls more in line with that of Valkyrie Hunter D's experience: there is a variance in the official releases. You might get a good one and you might get one limb or two limbs that are a little loose.

Adding in unofficial releases (all the KOs) can make things more confusing too. I had one of the first MP-10 KOs and its joints were very tight, it was almost unnerving. The folding gun was a hot mess too, but these downsides were not big losses for the price that I paid.

Today, the oversized versions are all the rage.

Edited by technoblue

Yeah, but I'm not too comfortable buying a KO (even if it's oversized with improvements). If it was a totally original design like most 3rd parties do, I can forgie it more. But if they basically copied an official design and sold it as their own (even with slight differences), it just doesn't sit right with me.

But thanks for the feedback guys! Waiting to hear more from the others.

Hasbro MP-10 is fine, the only difference between it and Takara is the color. I ended up with the Hasbro one cause I liked the overall brighter tone (and blue Roller is the best). I think the only thing I like better on the Takara version is that the matrix is diecast where the Hasbro one is plastic.

Edited by dizman

Odd - my hasbro release has a metal matrix.

Hasbro MP-10 is fine, the only difference between it and Takara is the color. I ended up with the Hasbro one cause I liked the overall brighter tone (and blue Roller is the best). I think the only thing I like better on the Takara version is that the matrix is diecast where the Hasbro one is plastic.

Oh hey how about that, just popped the matrix out of his chest and it is metal! I must have been thinking of MP-01, learn (or relearn) something new everyday.

Like sh9000 said MP-10B is great, the only thing is that the aftermarket prices are sky high right now. Maybe one day we will get a reissue....

I agree that MP-10 is an excellent Prime figure; the only imp0rovement I would have liked would be for the rear wheels to rotate 180 degrees into the leg so that his outer leg was smooth, or just get rid of the wheel wells and that crappy blue panel that covers them, and just let the wheels hang out. As he is, his lower legs never look right to me b/c of the wheel well bulges.

I can understand the desire for a white MP-10, but honestly, I prefer the way MP Magnus was realized as an all-in-one figure. Personal choice.

Referring to Davidwangchoi's post above concerning the TF pop-up book, that's some really impressive papercraft. I have no faculty whatsoever in that particular art, so origami and papercraft models have always impressed me for their ingenuity, detail, and in many cases, functionality. Aside from making a standard pop-up, which requires a bit of thought as to placement and folding mechanisms, the book's creator took it much further, to a very impressive result. Very cool; thanks for posting David. This makes me wonder how cool it'd be if someone made a 3D pop-up book TF where a basic frame was the pop-up subject, and the book covers broke up and formed the armor.

Referencing earlier posts about MP Tracks, I don't see any issues with mines. I did get the original G1 back in the day, for my birthday, so I have too much bias there, but I am very satisfied with MP Tracks.

The only thing I didn't like about MP Ironhide is his crotch plate. If that can be replaced, i would buy it, but I'm going to be buying all the MP molds at some point. Just have to get them on release so I'm not paying double the price here in the US for the imports, yeesh.

Didn't MP10 get reissued already? HLJ still has it in stock and the price isn't bad. I have to pick one up as I really wanted a G1 Prime as a kid, and never got one, so I have to get MP10 to fulfill that long awaited destiny. I have New Year's Convoy, but the MP is the pinnacle of G1 perfection.

So I headed out with someone earlier for a quick run to the local MalWart and checked the plastic robot aisle to remind myself that nothing good ever happens.
They had ONE Sky Lynx on the shelf. As I fell in love with the original the moment I first laid eyes on the box(let's be honest, he's a ROBOT DINOSAUR SPACE SHUTTLE and it doesn't get cooler than that), I am pleased as punch right now.

He actually makes a surprisingly good space shuttle, all things considered. Sure he's teched up in ways that don't make a lot of sense, and there's a big blue cargo pallet hanging off the bottom, but... whatever, robot dinosaur space shuttle.

The overall shuttle proportions really owe as much to the Concorde as the STS Orbiter, but in a weird way that WORKS. Sky Lynx's neck joint lets him tip the cockpit down to simulate a Concorde landing. It actually works really well. Again, aside from the blg cargo pallet on the underside.

Incidentally, the big blue cargo pallet could use a couple of panels to close it up and give it structure in robot mode. It's very skeletal.

In conclusion: 10/10, would buy again. But America deserves a leader robot dinosaur space shuttle. Vote Sky Linx for president.

I went ahead and got the Hasbro MP-10 yesterday. Aside from the backpack not closing flush with the gun stored and one corner of the chrome on the front bumper worn off, it's pretty good. Joints were all tight, even more than I remember my Takara MP-10 was out of box.

Was the Hasbro MP-10 reissued recently? The one I bought didn't seem like it was an old stock.

I went ahead and got the Hasbro MP-10 yesterday. Aside from the backpack not closing flush with the gun stored and one corner of the chrome on the front bumper worn off, it's pretty good. Joints were all tight, even more than I remember my Takara MP-10 was out of box.

Was the Hasbro MP-10 reissued recently? The one I bought didn't seem like it was an old stock.

There was a release from Hasbro Asia in October 2014, which included a neat Vector Sigma bonus. A number of stores had it in stock well into 2015. I'm not sure if there was another release after that one.

Glad to read that yours is in pretty good shape.

MP Rachet needs to drop soon - getting antsy with Shockwave waiting in my private warehouse!!!

Anyone with news on Rachet lately? I am hoping a 3rd party comes out with a Marvel comics head (Red head /silver crest).

tumblr_inline_nv1p1pIMz01qjop0x_500.png

Edited by Mechinyun

Wow, that brings back the memories! I adored those old Marvel Transformers books. They were far superior to the cartoons.

No doubt! I think thats where my love for shockwave and ratchet came from were these early marvel comics. I remember picking them up and being blow away with the story/subject matter vs the cartoon. Still kid friendly, but definitely a more serious tone.

Who can forget this cover.

300px-Shockwavearealldead.jpg

Edited by Mechinyun

No doubt! I think thats where my love for shockwave and ratchet came from were these early marvel comics. I remember picking them up and being blow away with the story/subject matter vs the cartoon. Still kid friendly, but definitely a more serious tone.

Who can forget this cover.

300px-Shockwavearealldead.jpg

An absolute classic.

Yes, those Marvel transformer comics came around at exactly the right time and the right age for a kid who was starved for good character and narrative in his science fiction and fantasy. I loved Ratchet in those books; clearly not designed for combat, but upon his shoulders fell the survival of all the Autobots. I was always impressed with how brave Ratchet was, fighting even when he was always outmatched in battle and relying on his wits. They also wrote Shockwave like a legitmate threat and not just some caricature. The whole arc with Ratchet, Shockwave, Megatron and the Dinobots was so great. I loved all those books.